Print Page | Close Window

upholstery question ??

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51544
Printed Date: May-19-2024 at 10:13pm

Topic: upholstery question ??
Posted By: Faceplant
Subject: upholstery question ??
Date Posted: April-26-2024 at 9:30pm
I am actually putting new covers on my Seadoos but trust this site with my questions. I will be doing a boat at a later date.  Never used a pneumatic staple gun before and curious which model to purchase. From what I have found , it seems like a a staple gun that use 71 guage staples would be suffice . Curious -  will a 71 guage staple fasten a cover to hard plastic ? What length staples would be appropriate ?  Thanx in advance.

-------------
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Replies:
Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-28-2024 at 4:08pm
I just finished replacing some skins in my boat, did coaming pads and observer seat arm rest.  The coaming pads were not an issue as a fairly soft composite board of some sort is the backing. I probably could have gotten by with my regular electric stapler.  The arm rest was a different story.  That is molded fiberglass.  Even the very experienced upholstery guy who made my skins said it can be a pain in the neck stapling into the fiberglass. I borrowed a conventional T50 pneumatic stapler and used 3/8 inch stainless staples.  The guy who loaned me the staple has a huge thoroughly outfitted shop and had a commercial compressor.  My upholstery guy said I would need about 80-90 psi to penetrate the fiberglass. Need enough to penetrate, but not so much to pierce the vinyl or crack the fiberglass.  Worked like a champ.  Went very smoothly/easily.  Ended up using that system for the coaming pads as well, as it worked better than my electric. 

https://ibb.co/pwL9BL5" rel="nofollow">
https://ibb.co/d5g86s7" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: May-01-2024 at 8:21am
Larrys post-retirement 2nd career 

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: May-01-2024 at 8:51am
Looks great..............and this time around he didn't have to return a piece to C&S to get a crookedly sewed cover replaced Wink

Top.....the crooked one
Bottom....cheaper local guy

Posted By: Faceplant
Date Posted: May-03-2024 at 7:30pm
Yes - that is crooked. I pick the bottom one.

-------------
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-04-2024 at 12:41pm
Yup. The crooked one I did return to C&S, but they made it right in a very quick TAT, which was good since their backlog was like 6 months. I don’t know if the local guy is any cheaper but he does excellent work, on time and on budget. I had to send my engine box skin back to C&S as well, as they didn’t sew the carpet to it first time around. So it took a few seasons, but the redo of all my interior, which had all succumbed to the dreaded “pinking” is replaced. I did all the installs myself with the exception of the helm. I thought that was a little over my pay grade so the local guy did that whole thing.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window