Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51369
Printed Date: May-21-2024 at 11:00am

Topic: stong fuell smell
Posted By: LooseScrew22
Subject: stong fuell smell
Date Posted: September-16-2023 at 5:44pm
question for everyone- i have a '95 SN with the 5.8 pro boss efi protec system. I was smelling fuel last year so i checked the fuel tank and alot of the gaskets were toast. I replaced all of that (see my other posts) and ran new fuel lines to the engine. Now the last two times i have been out on the lake it smells strong of gas again.... the blower helps eliminate much of it but when i turn off the blower i smell fuel. the engine starts right up, runs well, no surging etc. all 4 injectors are working but i wonder if they are working "too well" 
i don't see any visible gas leaks when i have shut off the engine and inspected.... any thoughts on what else i should check? or is my nose too sensitive?

thanks

Replies:
Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: September-17-2023 at 3:12am
Many Boats have exploded with fuel leaks.  I would not even consider using that boat until it is fixed.   I can’t say where the leak is but a complete inspection is in order.  I used to ski with a guy that had two friends die in boat explosions.  Sad part, not the same boat.  Two separate accidents.   
It sounds like you have a good start on this problem but have yet to trace it down, park it, find it and fix it please.

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: September-17-2023 at 9:15am
Older fuel pumps would spray fuel in the bilge if the diaphragm had a hole and leaked through.  Engine would still run fine, but fuel would come out a weep hole when running.  I know this one from personal experience.  I can't remember what you have for a boat.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: September-17-2023 at 9:34am
Oops just saw you name the boat ... I'm definitely foggy today, late night.

Your nose isn't too sensitive, shouldn't smell gas at all beyond maybe the tank vent.  You've looked again at the tank fittings, anti-siphon valve, etc?  There aren't all that many places fuel can come from so with some looking and smelling I'd think you'll find it.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: LooseScrew22
Date Posted: September-18-2023 at 1:29am
i will check the fuel pump and inspect all of the lines from the fuel water seperarator. thanks for the info...

i don't plan to take this out again until fixed and

Print Page | Close Window