Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50984
Printed Date: April-25-2024 at 4:18pm

Topic: Vibration
Posted By: dutch-us
Subject: Vibration
Date Posted: November-21-2022 at 2:05pm
I have a 1968 Mustang C/Craft with a POLY 318. When hard throttling to pull up a heavy skier, it vibrates terribly. Once cruising, not bad. I have aligned the propeller shaft and even installed mufflers. The engine runs great.

Any ideas?

-------------
68 Mustang Wes

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-21-2022 at 3:10pm
Junk prop or bent shaft are the 2 biggest sources of vibration.

Misalignment will dampen vibration, not exacerbate it.

How’s the strut bushing?

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: November-21-2022 at 11:23pm
Tim hit the main ones:  1) bent shaft; 2) strut bearing; and 3) unbalanced / damaged propeller.

You can check for "play" of the shaft in the bearing by wiggling the prop side-to-side and verifying movement of the shaft in the strut.

How old is the prop? Has it been hit and "fixed"?  Maybe post a photo of the prop (include the hub).

You can measure for a bent shaft easy enough while the shaft is on the boat.  You need a dial indicator and then attach the base of the dial indicator onto the strut.  You want to check the shaft just aft of the strut.

Can you provide a bit more info on your shaft alignment?

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: November-23-2022 at 9:48am
I replaced the prop with a one inch lower pitch, because most of what I do is idle or ski.

I haven't measured play for strut condition but the bearing looks good and shaft spins with ease.

I will measure for out of round but I would think the vibration would increase, with RPM, if it is bent.

The previous owner did stringer work and the mounts are now sitting on aluminum angle iron which I wonder about.

Are new isolators readily available?

Thanks,

-------------
68 Mustang Wes

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: November-23-2022 at 11:05am
I doubt isolation is the problem, or the fix.  Since you mention the vibration is at it's worst when under max load, engine/prop loaded up trying to pull up a heavy skier, I'm going to guess you will find a worn out strut bearing.  Could be wrong, but agree with above that it's strut or shaft or prop.

Date Posted: November-23-2022 at 6:13pm
Thank you all and it's time to fire up the garage furnace and go to work.

-------------
68 Mustang Wes

Print Page | Close Window