Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50972
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 11:07am

Topic: Key Switch
Posted By: jterr
Subject: Key Switch
Date Posted: November-06-2022 at 8:55pm
Boat starts with the starter button thing but not key switch. I hear a clicking noice in the ammeter gauge next to it. See picture to see if could be wired wrong

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: November-07-2022 at 6:28am
JT  I took a trip down memory lane through your old posts and I think you have a voltmeter, not an ammeter.

You also had a boat with a whole bunch of wiring issues when you bought it.

here's an "after" picture of your dash from one of those posts

The gauge is hidden by the spoke on the steering wheel, but your "before" picture from the same post showed a voltmeter there.

What's the "starter button" that you mention?

Date Posted: November-07-2022 at 6:54am
It's the one you connect back on the motor with the 2 clips. Sorry bout my terminology on the Voltmeter. I was reading last night and someone said to check the neutral safety switch, which I will do today.

Date Posted: November-07-2022 at 10:29am
Neutral saftey switch wires bad so replacing along with new key switch.

Posted By: andrewmarani
Date Posted: November-14-2022 at 9:24pm
Had a similar issue with my 86 ski nautique for a long time.  Would start most of the time,  but every now and then key switch wouldn't do anything.  Kept a heavy copper wire in the dash tray to jump the solenoid and start the boat. 

Checked the wires and replaced the key switch twice, chased it for years off and on. Then read something here about how the neutral safety switch knows the transmissions in neutral.  I adjusted the cable at the velvet drive a turn or two at the brass fitting in the picture and fixed it.

-------------
Builder

Posted By: andrewmarani
Date Posted: November-14-2022 at 9:56pm
Looking over some engine pictures and remembered I replaced that cable after I made the adjustment.  Two years ago I backed the boat off the lift, drifted in neutral for a few seconds, pushed the throttle forward and got an engine rev but no forward motion.  It was the original cable and after 34 years it finally broke up under the throttle. Might want a new cable if yours is original.

Lucky we where next to the dock but lost a couple of weeks of Friday skiing while I got the new cable installed.

-------------
Builder

Print Page | Close Window