Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50892
Printed Date: April-20-2024 at 10:50am

Topic: Protec EMS and Coil Packs
Posted By: Aussie
Subject: Protec EMS and Coil Packs
Date Posted: September-06-2022 at 12:41am

I have a 1993 SN with 351W GT40 heads nominally 285HP with the Protec Ignition EMS and Coil Packs.  

My ignition is still fully operational but the EMS is leaking the potting mixture when the engine is warmed up - although ever so slightly.

While I understand there is much discussion on this forum and around the internet on the replacement of the Coil Packs with a conventual coil and distributor as well as discussion on the merits of the various solutions, I am interested to see if anyone has an actual electronic schematic of the potted EMS and coil packs.

I have seen the overall boat wiring diagram on Page 51 of the engine manual but have not been able to find the schematic of what is inside the EMS.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: September-06-2022 at 10:44am
Pretty sure the answer is No.  I have never seen one on this site or anywhere else.  Someone would have had to either reverse engineer it or obtain one from PCM.  Like you said most owners just swap them out.  There was a member a few years ago that put a scope on the output of the trigger unit so he could replicate the signal going to his EFI.  He was able to keep his stock EFI and just replace his Protec with a distributor.

-------------
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Print Page | Close Window