Forum Discription: What's new at CorrectCraftFan.com
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50427
Printed Date: March-29-2024 at 9:44am

Topic: 1991 Ski Nautique Resin Type
Posted By: bpurnell
Subject: 1991 Ski Nautique Resin Type
Date Posted: January-06-2022 at 11:04pm
Hi Guys,

I am getting the floor and stringers replaced in my 1991 Ski Nautique. Does anyone know what kind of resin would have been used at that time: vinyl ester or epoxy? Any recommendations on what would be better to use for this application?

Thanks

Brian

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: January-07-2022 at 10:27am
Here's a quote from about 10 years ago.

They used vinylester

Either will work for a stringer job

It sounds like you're having somebody do the job for you and you're maybe unsure of what he wants to use?

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Vinylester is a good resin. CC used it to build their hulls from '89 to '92 (AME4000). Pretty sure the stuff they use now (AME 5000) is a vinyl-epoxy blend. Prior to '89, they used poly.

When youre building boats (or repairing them) and you have an opportunity to cut 20% off the price of one of your major components (resin), thats a HUGE cost savings. You can pass that savings along to the customer, giving you a competitive advantage, or put it in your pocket.

On a single boat project, youre only talking 10-15 gallons of resin. The extra cost of epoxy is only going to run you $100-150, as you can get a good epoxy for $50/gal, vs. $40/gal for vinyl. (Hopefully youre not looking at West System for your epoxy, btw- now THAT is what I call cost prohibitive!) $150 in the scheme of the rebuild costs for one boat is a drop in the bucket- especially considering the amount of labor involved. Most here use epoxy because the cost difference is small, epoxy is superior in terms of strength, and its very nice to work with. Getting the ratio of hardener correct on vinyl can be tricky, you have to use wax to get it to fully set up, and it produces just a *touch* more odor.

That being said, vinyl is still a perfectly acceptable way to go. We've seen good rebuilds using poly as well (like Hasbeenskier's). Personally, having used all 3, I'll stick with epoxy for the structure on all of my personal boats!

Posted By: bpurnell
Date Posted: January-07-2022 at 10:48am
Thanks very much for your response! I appreciate it.

Print Page | Close Window