Forum Name: New
Forum Discription: What's new at CorrectCraftFan.com
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50125
Printed Date: April-19-2024 at 6:38am

Topic: Camshafts
Posted By: Buckyr2
Subject: Camshafts
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:24am
I have a 1988 correct craft martinique that the distributor drive gear on the camshaft is chewed up, can i use a camshaft from a mercruiser 351w?

Replies:
Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 9:36am
they would interchange as long as the rotation of both engines is the same.  88 Martinique should be reverse rotation I believe.  
-burton

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 9:58am
So the rotor on the distributor should turn clockwise if its reverse rotation? My rotor bug rotates counter clockwise

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:06am
They both turn counter clockwise else no oil pressure

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

They both turn counter clockwise else no oil pressure

Bucky,
Just to clarify what Tom stated, the distributor turns the same dirction on ether a standard or reverse rotation 351. 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 1980nautique
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:30am
If the distributor drive gear on the camshaft is chewed you will need a reverse rotation Camshaft to get the valve opening correct. And if the Cam gear is as bad as you say it is, don't forget to look at the distributor gear. That is a special piece as well. Melling for example makes reverse rotation camshafts as well as the necessary distributor gear.

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:33am
Do any of you know where i can get the right cam for it? Im wanting to stay with something close to factory so i dont have to deal with water getting to the cylinders

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:52am
http://www.camresearchcorp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.camresearchcorp.com/    also check out their camshaft break in service as well. Don't worry about water reversion I don't think there is any reverse rotation camshaft that is that radical because of their limited application 

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 10:59am
Gary im going to make sure I have a reverse rotation engine when i get off work, it seems like the crankshaft was turning clockwise when i was cranking it (before I realized what was wrong)

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 1:20pm
Here's a link with a good picture to help you figure out your rotation 

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/rotate.htm" rel="nofollow - link

Once you're sure of that, things should be easier to figure out as far as parts etc. Wink

There's a reason your gear(s) got chewed up, you should have that figured out/straightened out before just putting new stuff in, to avoid a repeat.

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:48pm
It is a reverse rotation engine, someone must have put the wrong distributor in it, so all i need is a reverse rotation cam and distributor and im all set

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 2:57pm
And would any of you happen to know whether or not i have a 2 piece rear main seal or not, i dont know how to distinguish the two

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Buckyr2 Buckyr2 wrote:

It is a reverse rotation engine, someone must have put the wrong distributor in it, so all i need is a reverse rotation cam and distributor and im all set

You can't put a wrong rotation distributor in it. Wink

The gears won't mesh at all and it comes nowhere even remotely close to being seated right.

If somebody replaced the distributor or the gear and the gear wasn't located at the right place on the shaft you could have issues with wear.

The teeth on your right hand rotation distributor gear would look like this  \\\\\\\\

A normal rotation is the opposite  /////////

The camshaft gears are opposite from each other too.

What do you have for a distributor now ?

Ford started with the one piece seal in 83, so if your engine is original it's a one piece.

You can find the block casting number hiding above and behind the starter if you want to verify when the block was cast or if you have the transmission, bell housing and flywheel out of the way you can see the seal.

Click on the link for some seal info

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49344&title=1983-rear-main-seal" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:02pm
It has been converted to electronic ignition and there was an old points style distributor (assuming it to be oem) in one of the storage areas. I compared the teeth on the old one to the distributor that is in it now and it is indeed the wrong gear on the newer distributor so i believe I figured out what chewed the camshaft gear to pieces😡 so now i just need a camshaft for the left hand rotation. I looked on mellings website and i couldnt find one for that specific setup, maybe someone has a link?

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:13pm
I think you are confused-  "so now i just need a camshaft for the left hand rotation".  Left hand is normal automotive rotation,Correct Craft used right hand rotation engines in their boats. If yours is right handed I gave you a link above- call them,Ford camshafts is all they do. If it's a left handed engine any stock flat tappet automotive cam will work. And like Ken said there is no way that distributor would fit into place and run to damage it like that. You need to find out how and why that damage happened.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:21pm
Sorry for my incompetence, thats where i was confused, ill get a cam for a left hand rotation engine, and i have no idea how they got the new distributor in there but the gears are definitely opposite on the new and old distributor

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 6:44pm
Bucky,
Did you confirm the engine rotation using the ling Ken provided?  One post you say LH and the another RH. Here the link again again:

https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/faq/rotate.htm" rel="nofollow - How Do I Determine My Engine Rotation? - eBasicPower

BTW, has the starter been changed lately?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:40pm
OK Bucky................we're gonna get this figured out. Wink

I imagine you could take a couple of pictures of the distributors showing the gear on the new installed one and the gear on the extra older one. In both cases show the whole distributor so we tell what brand they are.

You may have a hard time posting them here on CCF (don't worry, lots of people have that problem)

If that's the case, then e mail them to     keno439@gmail.com and I'll have my squad of "picture posters" put them here on CCF and we'll solve this mystery.

PS from the info you've given already, the starter is turning the engine in the proper direction since the rotor is going counter clockwise.

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:45pm
Yes i did confirm, it is left hand rotation

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:47pm
The starter is turning the engine clockwise and the new distributor is turning ccw but it stops and starts because of the missing splines on the cam, they both have different directions of the way the splines are facing, one is ///// and the other is \\\\\, like stated above i have no idea how they got the new one in there if the splines are backwards

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:52pm
You say clockwise, but what way are you looking at it?

Post a picture of the prop while you are at it

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 7:53pm
Send pictures anyways

Since you have a LH normal rotation engine your distributor gear on the newer distributor may be steel and not compatible with a camshaft that has a cast iron gear.

The end result of that is gear damage to one or both gears.

It sounds like somebody replaced or rebuilt your engine at some time over the years and it's normal rotation now.

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:00pm
Im looking at it from the front

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:09pm
Pictures should be in youe email inbox keno

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:09pm
Here are a couple of gears, they both are normal automotive rotation. (LH rotation in the marine world}

The rough one on the left is cast iron, the smoother finished one is steel.

Do your teeth slant in the same direction as these? 

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:13pm
The old distributor has a slant to the left if you’re holding the dizzy right side up and the newer distributor is slanted to the right being held in the same position, also the older gear is dull and looks like cast iron and the new one is smooth and shiny like in the picture you posted

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:14pm
Got pictures, will post in next 1/2 hour or so.

Your new distributor is a Chinese non marine automotive rotation unit for a normal automotive rotation engine and looks to have a steel gear that may have caused the problem.

Old one is a reverse rotation Prestolite (original to your boat)

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:14pm
Heres the link to the photo
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hi-1hBfr_pE-6QkOJudcN2Bw#Madill

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:16pm
So would the difference in direction of the slants in the gears have anything to do with it?

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:42pm
Here are the pictures

First one is the new and old distributors

As mentioned before it's a Chinese automotive LH rotation distributor and from here the teeth look pretty worn

Second one is his prop, which looks like a RH, reverse rotation original prop

That just leads to more questions like

Did you just buy this boat and has it ever run for you? I'm gonna guess that you bought somebody's unfinished project

The only way to make the boat go forward with that prop on it would be to have the transmission in reverse and the reverse portion of the Borg Warner transmission won't last long at all moving the boat forward.

Your 88 should have a Borg Warner transmission, could you verify that it does with the tag right near the dipstick or send another picture, this time of the transmission.

If by chance you have a PCM 40A transmission, then the boat is an 89 and that engine and prop would make sense together Wink.

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:43pm
We're making progress Bucky Wink

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:45pm
Yes. In a reverse rotation marine engine the crankshaft rotates in opposite direction of an automotive engine and therefore so does the camshaft. But the oil pump needs to run in the normal automotive direction or else it will not pump oil. The distributor drives the oil pump so the gear on the camshaft and the distributor is changed so that it turns the oil pump in the normal direction. That is also why the distributor runs in the same direction because that gear turns the distributor shaft which turns the oil pump. Clear as mud right? 

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 8:58pm
This boat has never ran for me, ive only had it for about a month and I didn’t give a whole lot for it so im not freaking out about it, was hoping to have it on the water next summer so i have time to figure it out lol

Date Posted: August-11-2021 at 9:11pm
Here's Bucky's transmission

It's a Borg Warner so the boat is an 88 not an 89.

So the prop and engine aren't matched as far as rotation.

The next thing to worry about is whether the guy you bought it from, reindexed the transmission to work with the engine rotation, but that's a ways down the road right now.

You have some work on your hands, but nothing that can't be resolved with some effort

You'll be there before next summer  Wink

PS       Bucky, you have a PM

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 5:08am
Or the engine is revers but the starter is wrong? Lots of possibilities ahead

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 7:17am
The engine has a normal rotation cam and distributor going by his pictures and since the rotor is turning CCW it's also a normal rotation starter.

Whatever it once might have been, it's right now a normal rotation engine that doesn't run, but it ran long enough to chew up the cam gear. 

The gear on a RR cam is cut the opposite of the gear on a normal rotation cam, that's why the distributor gears have to be different.

All the cam lobes are arranged differently too, for the RR firing order.

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 7:51am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

it ran long enough to chew up the cam gear. 

Yes, it sure did chew it up. Here's Bucky's cam gear:

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 9:19am
So now that ive figured out what i need in regards to the camshaft and distributor, once i get it going can I change the propeller to work with the rotation of this engine?

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 9:25am

So now that ive figured out what i need in regards to the camshaft and distributor, once i get it going can I change the propeller to work with the rotation of this engine?

Yes, you will need a LH prop. Also as Ken mentioned you'll need to confirm that the trans pump is indexed for a standard (LH) rotation engine. After you get the engine running shift the trans to forward or reverse and if nothing happens, then there's a good chance the trans isn't indexed. Without the proper index, the trans pump won't develope the pressure needed to activate the forward or reverse clutch packs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 9:28am
I will keep that in mind, thanks

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 11:16am

Another thing you should do is make sure your oil pump intermediate shaft turns and the oil pump isn't seized up.

A seized pump could lead to your stripped gears and also a shaft that looks like a pretzel and doesn't turn.

You could use a 351w priming tool and spin it backwards with a drill or some people use a 1/4 inch drive 5/16 socket and an extension to turn the shaft. Ideally you'd tack weld the socket to the extension so you don't have any chance of losing the socket in the sump.

Some people take the "tacky" approach and duct tape the socket to the extension.

It works fine.............till it doesn't and the socket ends up in the sump Wink

And another thing............you really don't know what you have for a rear main seal. Assuming it's a 1 piece seal, the seals are rotation specific and if the previous guy put a new cam in the original RR block and didn't change the seal to a normal rotation seal, you'll have a leak at the rear main seal.

If it's a replacement block, you're probably OK seal wise but you don't know till you look and if it's apart enough to be looking at the seal, you might as well just replace it.

Another thing would be checking your raw water pump orientation to be right for normal rotation.

Like mentioned earlier, there are lots of things to consider

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 1:08pm
The motor is painted grey and says pcm on it, with the way the prop is set up theres no way its not a right hand rotation engine in my opinion, i forgot to mention in older posts that it has a new oreillys starter on it, i think what im going to do is get a reverse rotation starter and camshaft for it, everything on this engine looks factory and i dont see any signs of new gaskets anywhere? Does anyone disagree with that idea?

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 1:52pm
You could remove the valve covers put number 1 cylinder on TDC and turn it over by hand and watch which valves start opening and in what order. Following the firing orders you'll know after a few turns if its standard or reverse.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 2:18pm
After a phone conversation with Bucky, we decided that the engine got some creative work done to it in the past.

It appears that it started life as a Reverse Rotation engine and someone put a Normal Rotation cam and distributor in it and stuck a normal rotation starter on it also. (they never changed the firing order though so they were trying to start it with the Reverse Rotation firing order) He also thought maybe the teeth on the original camshaft got destroyed by trying to get the wrong distributor gear to mate, that would really take some doing, but stranger things have happened.

The previous owner never had it running before Bucky bought it. Imagine that  Wink

So his plan is to get a Reverse Rotation camshaft, some new lifters to go with it, and use the old Prestolite distributor with the Reverse Rotation gear that's on it right now. (Sorry Pete, but he wants to go electronic, he's too young to like points,so he'll get a Pertronix conversion for it) (Sorry Jonny, but it's a lot cheaper than a DUI distributor) Maybe he'll get one later Jonny Wink

He'll also get a Reverse Rotation starter so it'll spin the engine the right way and use the Reverse Rotation firing order 1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

Based on the prop and also that it looks like the transmission has never been off the engine, he thinks that it's probably still oriented for Reverse Rotation.

Also talked about was the raw water pump orientation.

I think his plan sounds reasonable to get it running as a Reverse Rotation engine and it will keep the Gods of Reverse Rotation from unleashing their fury on him.

He's a young guy, I'd  mention his age, but it would make most of us feel like antiques, and he's had a fair amount of experience with 351W engines that rotate the way they were meant to go, but Reverse Rotation is all new to him.

Now everybody say.........Good luck Buck, you'll get this all figured out  Wink

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 2:27pm
Sounds like a plan. Plenty of time to get it running by Monday......

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 3:53pm
A couple of Arco starter numbers for your Reverse Rotation engine, they could be cross referenced to other brands

70201 new PMGR

70107 old style

The PMGR is lighter, faster, cheaper, draws less current and only needs a small wiring change

The old style is ............well, it's old Wink

Maybe you have the original starter in your box of parts that the distributor was in

Here's your pump orientation diagram, the cam screw faces out away from the engine towards the starboard side.

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 4:57pm
Who woulda thunk…a bit of creative wrench turning.  I’m glad KENO was able to solve the mystery.  Things could have ended up much worse…

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 5:16pm
Thank you everyone, i will keep the thread updated for results

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 5:25pm
Well Done Keno,  You're in good hands there Bucky

Date Posted: August-12-2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Well Done Keno,  You're in good hands there Bucky

Sounds like an Allstate commercial Wink

We won't call it a success until Bucky gets this all figured out and running

Date Posted: August-13-2021 at 7:33pm
Is the mellings MEL-24209 camshaft the compatible with this engine? Want to make sure before i fire the parts cannon

Date Posted: August-14-2021 at 6:08am
It's compatible.

A number of places show it out of stock, but here's a link that seems to have it in stock ( it doesn't say it's out of stock anyways) and has a better price than most anybody else

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/ml-24209" rel="nofollow - link to cam

and since you need lifters too, here's another link

http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/vl-ht900" rel="nofollow - link to lifters

It's a good outfit to deal with

Date Posted: August-18-2021 at 7:23pm
(Update)-
Ive got everything i need to get this done other than the camshaft, i decided to go with the mellings 24209 camshaft and i cannot find it anywhere, keno posted a link to the cam and they informed me that they no longer had it in stock and refunded me my money.😡 hopefully i can find one soon that will work to get this show on the road

Date Posted: August-18-2021 at 8:04pm
Maybe if Ken recommends Cam Research maybe you'll call them?   Ken can you help him out? They might not have them either but they have in the past and Fords are all they do.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-18-2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Maybe if Ken recommends Cam Research maybe you'll call them?   Ken can you help him out? They might not have them either but they have in the past and Fords are all they do.

Ok Gary Wink

Bucky try Cam Research Corp, see link

Me and Gary like phone calls for stuff like this

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/" rel="nofollow - link

Date Posted: August-18-2021 at 8:19pm
Will give them a call tomorrow

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 12:51am
Nice work boys fixing Bucky up.  When we installed the cheap HEI type distributor in my brothers Supra, 351W reverse rotation we removed and swapped the cam gears from the old dist to the new dist.   It was still working well when he sold that boat.  In case you wanted the newer distributor to work.  I have not checked recently but Sealed Power used to sell the reverse Rotation Camshaft for the small block Fords.  Straighten me out if I am wrong but I believe you are fine using the 302 camshaft as long as you change to the 302 firing order.  If no 351W reverse rotation cams are available it might work as an option.  Check lift and duration to make sure they offer similar performance.

The last post I found of someone on this forum installing this cam was in 2006, but they liked the cam so the specs might help.
Wow, camshafts are becoming very hard to get.  I just searched and could not find an available Reverse Rotation Camshaft anywhere.
FYI:  I just waited 8 months to get the camshaft for a Chevy Small block std rotation.  I hear Comp Cams has something like 20,000 cams on backorder due to COVID employee shortages.  If we cut back the government handouts a lot of people will be motivated to go back to work!  Sorry, should not get political.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 6:37am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Nice work boys fixing Bucky up.  When we installed the cheap HEI type distributor in my brothers Supra, 351W reverse rotation we removed and swapped the cam gears from the old dist to the new dist.  

So Mark, I just have to ask, since you seem to talk about safety a lot, why is it that you have talked numerous times about you, your brother and a friend all having non USCG distributors in your various boats over the years?

They must have had a reason to require the manufacturers to have ignition protected stuff Wink

And here you are telling Bucky he can swap gears to put one in his boat.

In his case it would be a little more involved than a gear swap. The Chinese distributor in his earlier photo has a 2 piece slip fit shaft and the gear is a bit different than his Prestolite gear..

The picture is the same brand distributor that I took out of a friends boat a few years ago because it wasn't marine rated.

It worked good, but well you know a few stray gas fumes, a sparking distributor that's not ignition protected and it's not a pretty outcome.

I might be a little curious also as to what year and model of Supra  came with a RH rotating engine?

Early years they had LH engines and props, then when the PCM 40A came out, they had LH engines and RH props and then they went to LH engines and LH props again when they changed engine suppliers

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 12:44pm
Well Ken glad you had entertainment this morning.   You are of course correct on safety and spark issues.
I have not seen an open path to open spark in a closed and sealed distributor  so yes I have run 3 automotive distributors in boats now.  In my brothers Supra we swapped the gear at install, I was thinking it was for rotation but I may have swapped for compatibility, meaning I did not trust the gear I saw on the new unit to work on our cam.
I would not use an automotive starter on a boat.
I do religiously run my blower in our boat.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 1:04pm
I found specs for the 351W Marine Camshaft that Sealed Power offered.  I have not found it available for sale but at least you will have specs to match against others.  
CS1057M  351W Marine Reverse Rotation Cam  18456273 fire order
Valve Lift Intake:  .444  Exhaust:  .452
Duration at .050   206/221    @ .006  284/304
Lobe center   115*
That is what the book quotes for this 351W Marine Cam
Hope it helps.
Mark

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Well Ken glad you had entertainment this morning.   You are of course correct on safety and spark issues.
I have not seen an open path to open spark in a closed and sealed distributor  so yes I have run 3 automotive distributors in boats now.  In my brothers Supra we swapped the gear at install, I was thinking it was for rotation but I may have swapped for compatibility, meaning I did not trust the gear I saw on the new unit to work on our cam.
I would not use an automotive starter on a boat.
I do religiously run my blower in our boat.

I'd figure swapping for compatibility to have a cast iron gear sounds good.

GM HEI distributors had/have open vents in the bottom of the housing that don't have the appropriate spark arrestor screens and the area where the lever from the vacuum advance mechanism passes through the body isn't sealed or screened....there's an open gap.

That's why they weren't USCG certified.

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 3:42pm
We just ordered a DUI Marine unit this morning for another friend, another odd Ski Boat, a Ski Ray, the Ski Ray has really nice lines, looks similar to the 90's Nautique but is wider taller and has about twice the storage space.  The ski wake suffers from this extra size but they are a nice boat,  I will look the DUI over on install.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 8:06pm
Must be a Mercruiser 5.7 in the Ski Ray. Sounds like a Sportster model, they were about Sport Nautique size and an open bow or closed bow

Unless he has a Spitfire, but they're kinda not too roomy and closed bow.

Good looking boats

Click on link for some Water Ski Mag info, pages 123 thru 127  Wink

http://books.google.com/books?id=QyE2AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false" rel="nofollow - link

You won't see any huge differences in the DUI, just the brass screened vents and a goofy plug to fill the space where the vacuum advance went through the housing. and the vacuum advance mechanism disabled/locked in position

Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 9:36pm
I have a used cam I’d donate to the cause, it’s just in a long block……..

Date Posted: August-20-2021 at 10:39pm
My buddies Sea Ray is the Ski Ray Sportster, the larger of their boats, I was surprised to read it is rated for tournament duty.  At nearly 3,000 pounds it does have a larger wake but like I mentioned, it is a nice boat with clean lines and drives good.  Long Line wake is large but shortline is not bad.  His does have the Mercruiser 350 ski rated at 260 HP.

-------------

Date Posted: August-21-2021 at 6:17am
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

I have a used cam I’d donate to the cause, it’s just in a long block……..

I had a used cam too, according to the UPS people it should show up at Bucky's on Tuesday 

Save it for the next guy that needs one  Wink

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: August-21-2021 at 11:06am
‘Kenos marine supply store’

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-22-2021 at 10:44am
I was just about to post that I have one from out of my ‘85 with around 400 hrs on it would need polished and lifters. 

I also have a stock GT-40 cam with about the same amount of hours would need polished but has the lifters. 

Date Posted: September-04-2021 at 7:58pm
Well here it is........... Bucky sent me a picture of the camshaft that came in his project engine

It was a Reverse Rotation camshaft and somebody did their best to stuff a distributor for a normal rotation engine in that hole.

"I just ain't seen nuthin like that before" were the first words that came to mind.

Probably stuck it in as far as it would go and pushed a little harder and bumped the engine over at the same time. Probably repeated that move a handful of times too.

Date Posted: September-04-2021 at 9:39pm
Amazing

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 8:37am
These same type of people curse Fords while doing this abuse

-------------

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:03am
Holy cow. I’m amazed it was able to kinda cut new teeth

Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:11am
Shocked

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 10:23am
Y'all get all wound-up over a little scratch or 2?  That'll buff out.

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 12:13pm
I was worried all tha missing metal is in the oil galleries but I guess if it never started and ran the oil galleries may still be clean but I would at least run a magnet through the oil pan.   That is a First.  Someone was very determined to make it work.

-------------

Date Posted: September-05-2021 at 12:32pm
Will be sure to change oil and run magnet through it

Date Posted: October-05-2021 at 5:10pm
Good news everyone! I got it all buttoned up and it runs perfect, I appreciate everyones input on the situation. It still has a long way to go but i look forward to having it on the water next summer

Date Posted: October-06-2021 at 7:21am

Print Page | Close Window