Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49789
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 6:47pm

Topic: Rear Transmission Leak 40A
Posted By: Bamanautique91
Subject: Rear Transmission Leak 40A
Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:17am
I seem to have a small transmission leak at the rear of my transmission.  Seems to be between the coupler and the transmission.  I am guessing rear seal?  Is that a difficult job?  Could it just be an alignment issue?  I just did the rear main seal on the engine and that is when the leak showed up... I am hoping it is just not aligned properly...

Thank you all in advance!  I am not a year into my 91 Nautique ownership and have had a blast reading and learning from this forum!

Ryan

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Replies:
Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:31am
Not a difficult job. however a metric socket to get the flange coupling off will be necessary. also the socket may need to be turned down to fit. finding a seal may be difficult as if memory serves me it was a proprietary seal for PCM . DIM may have that seal..

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:52am
40A output shaft seal:

https://skidim.com/seal-output-pcm-1-1.html" rel="nofollow - SEAL OUTPUT PCM 1:1 (skidim.com)

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:56am
I ordered this from Nautique Parts
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/seal-rear-flange-40-a-1-23-1-power-plus-transmission-pcm-r047191/" rel="nofollow -
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/seal-rear-flange-40-a-1-23-1-power-plus-transmission-pcm-r047191/" rel="nofollow - SEAL, REAR FLANGE (40-A) – 1.23:1 POWER PLUS TRANSMISSION, PCM # R047191

I noticed the bolt had a little key/indentation built in.  I assume I just bend that back out, back out the bolt, pull the coupler/Flange and the seal will be right there?  I just pull the old and put in the new?  Similar to the rear main seal I just did?  Thanks again for all the help.  

Should I try just checking the alignment before going into it?  I ran it for a brief time before I noticed the leak.  Or will it not matter at this point and I just need to put in a new seal?  

One more question.  Do I have to remove the transmission or can this be done while it is still connected to the motor?

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 5:55pm
I'd jack up the engine like you probably did for the rear main seal job, so that you can have some working room.

It's a 36 mm socket and if you have an impact wrench that goes to at least 150 ft lbs of torque, you can rattle it right off. If not you need a tool to hold the flange and a breaker bar and some muscle to get it off.

Here's a link to a PCM 40A manual that should be helpful Wink

http://pcmengines.jp/index/img/partslist/L510007-PCM-Transmission-Service-Manual.pdf" rel="nofollow - link

As far as alignment, you could check it.....it sounds like you didn't check it when you did the engine seal.

I don't think the alignment getting done will stop the leak, but you never know.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I don't think the alignment getting done will stop the leak, but you never know.

I'd have to sy if a misaligned engine/prop shaft causes a radial loading enough to cause a leak, then I'd also have to say there is a trans output bearing problem too. 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd have to sy if a misaligned engine/prop shaft causes a radial loading enough to cause a leak, then I'd also have to say there is a trans output bearing problem too. 

I was being nice, Pete was being a little less nice and I'll be a little more "less nice", your transmission would probably be toast Wink

Date Posted: May-04-2021 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I was being nice, Pete was being a little less nice and I'll be a little more "less nice", your transmission would probably be toast Wink

Thank you all for the replies. The transmission works as it should and makes no noise. Just a drip or two of fluid. I'll see about trying to pull the flange off and replace the seal. When I do the alignment I make sure the shaft is set in the groove before taking measurements correct?

BTW no feelings can be hurt here. I'm the dummy that didn't check alignment. It wasn't leaking until I did the rear main seal and put it back together.

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:55am
I think I'd call Joe at FFI marine and see about parts, since there's also an O ring that may need replacing.

He seems to have some parts that are hard to find for these transmissions and you just know that if you don't have an O ring on hand, you'll inevitably screw up the old one and it'll be a strange size that's hard to find Wink

Look at the manual linked earlier on page 15 for removal of the coupling and flange, and also page T5-2 for an exploded view.

FFI marine phone number 330-273-8291

Date Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:20am

I think I'd call Joe at FFI marine and see about parts, since there's also an O ring that may need replacing.

He seems to have some parts that are hard to find for these transmissions and you just know that if you don't have an O ring on hand, you'll inevitably screw up the old one and it'll be a strange size that's hard to find Wink

Look at the manual linked earlier on page 15 for removal of the coupling and flange, and also page T5-2 for an exploded view.

FFI marine phone number 330-273-8291

Thank you Keno,  I didn't see that o-ring.  I see SKIDIM has it as well. I appreciate all your help.

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:36am
Yep, they do R047192.

I'd still call Joe and talk with him about the job and any little gotchas.

Sometimes those couplings come off kinda hard. Even the manual mentions a puller or jacking tool

Posted By: FFImarine
Date Posted: May-15-2021 at 9:57pm
Chances are your going to need a 2 jaw puller to remove the coupling. You'll need to replace the coupling nut which i have in stock. When you remove the 6 bolts holding the rear seal in there will be 2 threaded holes that you use the pull the seal flange off and behind there will be your o-ring also there are shims on the bearing race so keep and eye on them. The oil seal is a bit tricky to install in the 6 bolt retainer I personally use a bearing race that fits perfectly since your installing the seal the opposite way you would normally do it. I have plenty of oil seals, coupler nuts and o-rings if you need them.

-------------
You break it I’ll fix it

Date Posted: May-15-2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

Chances are your going to need a 2 jaw puller to remove the coupling. You'll need to replace the coupling nut which i have in stock. When you remove the 6 bolts holding the rear seal in there will be 2 threaded holes that you use the pull the seal flange off and behind there will be your o-ring also there are shims on the bearing race so keep and eye on them. The oil seal is a bit tricky to install in the 6 bolt retainer I personally use a bearing race that fits perfectly since your installing the seal the opposite way you would normally do it. I have plenty of oil seals, coupler nuts and o-rings if you need them.

Joe,

Thank you very much for the info. I didn't know I needed a coupler nut as well. I have the o-ring and seal. Hopefully I can rent a bearing race drive set from AutoZone or Orielly. My symptoms seem to be that is what is leaking the rear seal?... I haven't tackled the project yet. What do you charge for a new coupler nut?. Thank you!

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-16-2021 at 10:09am
New nut cost $40 plus shipping

-------------
You break it I’ll fix it

Date Posted: May-16-2021 at 8:43pm

New nut cost $40 plus shipping

Thank you Joe. Just let me know what I need to do to order the new nut. Thanks again.

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-16-2021 at 9:55pm
I figure a good old fashioned phone call to the number earlier in the post will work wonders since Joe just pops in on CCF every now and then. Wink

Date Posted: May-16-2021 at 9:58pm

I figure a good old fashioned phone call to the number earlier in the post will work wonders since Joe just pops in on CCF every now and then. Wink

Roger that!. Thanks Keno

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-17-2021 at 2:26pm

Called and left a message with him this morning.  Looking forward to hearing back from him.  Thanks again everyone for the help!

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-17-2021 at 8:55pm
Sorry we were out at the marina working on a boat all day. I will call you back tomorrow morning

-------------
You break it I’ll fix it

Date Posted: May-17-2021 at 8:56pm
I try my best to be on as frequently as possible just not enough time in the day

-------------
You break it I’ll fix it

Date Posted: May-17-2021 at 8:56pm

I try my best to be on as frequently as possible just not enough time in the day

Not a problem at all!.. completely understand.

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-18-2021 at 5:35am

Sorry we were out at the marina working on a boat all day. I will call you back tomorrow morning

You must be mismanaging your time Joe Wink 

That guy you bought the business from was on here all the time (maybe while some guy named Joe was doing the work)

Date Posted: May-28-2021 at 8:27am
Thank you to Keno, Joe and everyone who helped.  The rear transmission seal has been successfully replaced!  

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Date Posted: May-28-2021 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Bamanautique91 Bamanautique91 wrote:

Thank you to Keno, Joe and everyone who helped.  The rear transmission seal has been successfully replaced!  

Hey, you did all the work

Having just done it, you got any tips or hints for the next guy that comes along?

Posted By: Erikgundy98
Date Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:12am
I sure might be that guy!

I have a leak at the front. But I also have a strange ticking noise coming from the transmission area when the engine is cold. But when coming back in, or once I have warmed it up, the noise stops.

Did yours make any noise before your leak started?

Date Posted: June-04-2021 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Erikgundy98 Erikgundy98 wrote:

I sure might be that guy!

I have a leak at the front. But I also have a strange ticking noise coming from the transmission area when the engine is cold. But when coming back in, or once I have warmed it up, the noise stops.

Did yours make any noise before your leak started?

There's a good chance that strange ticking noise could be an exhaust leak where the manifold bolts to the head.

Those noises can be hard to find and they have this weird ability to cleverly make themselves sound like noisy lifters, damper plates etc Wink

Things heat up, do a little expanding and it goes away.

It'll eventually eat the gasket away and be there all the time though

Date Posted: June-04-2021 at 8:19am

Originally posted by Bamanautique91 Bamanautique91 wrote:

Hey, you did all the work

Having just done it, you got any tips or hints for the next guy that comes along?

My main suggestions

Have an air impact gun that has enough power. My old one did not and the new one took a few tries(rated at 500 ft\lbs to get the coupler nut off(bit rusty on my boat)

Know that the retainer bolts are 16 ft\lbs and make sure your torque wrench works, mine didn't and I snapped a bolt off.

Also, the seal on mine had rusted to the retaining ring so it was a chore to get out. Clean that off really well.

I didn't have a bearing race to use to get the new seal in but was able to use the old seal and a piece of wood to tap in the new seal.

-------------
Ryan

91 Ski Nautique
Huntsville, AL

Print Page | Close Window