Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49743
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 2:09am

Topic: 1995 ski Nautique steering issue
Posted By: Fresno1995
Subject: 1995 ski Nautique steering issue
Date Posted: April-12-2021 at 1:19am
new  to  this  .   Please   need  some  help   with  1995 garage  find   ski  Nautique.      Steering  was   two handed  driving  last  year.  
Had  a plan to  order  steering cable  in december   from Nautique Parts  .  Ordered  the  OEM    cable.     Got  is   switched  out  ,  greased  the  tube  in  back  and  helm  up  front.      Got  it  in the  water  for  a  test   drive   and   worked   fine   until   I  took  a  turn  around  the  turn island on man made lake  and  had  to  go  with  two   hands .    placed  in  neutral  and   steering  was  fine .   under a load  and  in  turns it   is  tight .   Do  i  have  a  rudder   box   issue  ?     

thank You 

-------------
Glenn in Fresno

Replies:
Posted By: rebel skier
Date Posted: April-12-2021 at 8:02am
Likely yes. I did the same thing. I replaced my steering cable convinced it was my problem while neglecting the rudder. Re-packed my rudder and that solved it.

Grab your rudder and see if it has a lot of play. There is a good YouTube about how much play you should have.

I sent a message to Nautique parts to figure out what size packing rope. Get extra it’s cheap and it’s harder to cut the right size than you think - just takes a little practice.

The FAQ here about repacking the rudder I believe is a similar year SN as yours

-------------
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: April-12-2021 at 12:09pm
Re-pack the shaft seal and apply grease to the rudder shaft zerk fitting.  That should help significantly. 

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: MourningWood
Date Posted: April-12-2021 at 5:11pm
Curious..what prop is on it?

-------------
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: April-16-2021 at 3:11pm
Make sure your packing nut is properly tightened against the jam nut on your rudder port.

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Print Page | Close Window