Print Page | Close Window

Mid 66 Marine or Auto Accessories?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49671
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 10:05pm

Topic: Mid 66 Marine or Auto Accessories?
Posted By: 66_Cuda
Subject: Mid 66 Marine or Auto Accessories?
Date Posted: March-16-2021 at 3:27pm
After a job change & move the 1966 Barracuda can finally start getting some attention.  The insulation on 55 year old wires is beginning to crumble and that was the mission, but along the way I took a close look at the engine.

Chrysler 318 Poly, and it looks like a points style voltage regulator:

Were any of those ignition protected?

And the alternator looks like an auto version of that time period:  Likewise the fuel pump:

No third line up to the carb, where the story is the same.

So was it common in that time period to install a marine engine which had accessories that were not ignition protected?  It does seem unlikely that all those parts failed & were replaced by auto equals, but half a century is a long time . . .

Some research shows that the marine parts are available & I plan to replace them.  The starter has some stamped numbers on it & appears sealed so that will require more research.

The task list is beginning to expand, but I would like to know how it was done in '66.

Thanks,

Jack

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-16-2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by 66_Cuda 66_Cuda wrote:

So was it common in that time period to install a marine engine which had accessories that were not ignition protected?  It does seem unlikely that all those parts failed & were replaced by auto equals, but half a century is a long time . . .

Some research shows that the marine parts are available & I plan to replace them.  The starter has some stamped numbers on it & appears sealed so that will require more research.

Jack

Jack,
The short answer is yes, back then all components were not ignition protected. If you do some replacing, it's a good idea to find the marine components. 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window