Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49400
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 8:18pm

Topic: Oil Question?
Posted By: Dreaming
Subject: Oil Question?
Date Posted: November-08-2020 at 11:46pm
Does anyone have thoughts on high mileage oil?    I am out of the PENN 10w40 that I was running, and discovered that my local supplier has fallen victim to COVID and is no longer in buisness.   I found Mobile 1  10w40at walmart in the high mileage formulation, but I don't know if that will have adverse affects on my engine with 60 hours?     

Just for reference, and to quell the lashing I'd get about ZDDP,   My engine was built with a roller cam Big smile

If the MOBILE 1 10-40 isn't good, can someone make a recommendation?   does Diesel oil work?   there was plenty of options in the 15-40 diesel variety. 

Replies:
Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: November-09-2020 at 1:22am
High mileage oil may contain additives to swell seals to help stop oil leaks.  I would recommend non high mileage oil unless you have high miles/hours or a pesky oil leak.  Diesel oil is generally very good oil.  Rotella T6 synthetic is good stuff. 

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: November-09-2020 at 11:22am
Thanks JQ!  I wondered if the seal swelling agent might be the difference.   I don't have any leaks in the current set up, so no need for a swelling agent.   

Posted By: Nautiquehunter
Date Posted: November-10-2020 at 4:52am
Mobil 1 15w50 is what Mobil recommends in both roller and flat tappet marine engines.

Print Page | Close Window