Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49221
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 11:55pm

Topic: now what??
Posted By: Brett
Subject: now what??
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 10:05am
Just posting some progress on the Southwind stringer job.
going to get up under the bow then pull motor and drive.

making it up as I go, have read many of the posts here...kind of have an idea of where to go.

Replies:
Posted By: Liquiddreams
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 10:48am
I did a job similar to this years ago on a 1981 Ski Supreme. It was a beast of job, but fun (Using the term loosely) at the same time. I actually took the boat apart at the rub rail and lifted the top half out of the way to do the work and it made things a little easier on me. I remember taking a lot of measurements on the old flooring while tearing it out, so I could look back at them for the construction of the new. Any old supports that I could use as a template I did. I even would put cardboard beside the old rotten pieces before tear out to try and get a good template to use. The job turned out great. So much so that my neighbor offered me more than I had in it shortly after completion. I only got to enjoy the fruit of my labor a hand full of times.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:03am
William you did the supreme right, some don't take it apart as needed  and make a wreck out of it.

Brett there are archived details rebuilds here within the forum.

other good resources of techniques and glasswork and materials selection on YT channel FriscoBoater's Garage, and BoatworksToday, as well as many others

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

Just posting some progress on the Southwind stringer job.
going to get up under the bow then pull motor and drive.

making it up as I go, have read many of the posts here...kind of have an idea of where to go.

Brett

There's no need to get up under the bow to take the engine or drivetrain out.

I just thought you'd maybe like a little "snarkasm" since you haven't been here in a while Wink

Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 1:44pm
Hello Ken you old salt...asd always, appreciate the sage like advise.

Anyone need some foam chunks??
If there is another layer the Southwind will become a yard ornament or paintball target.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 8:26pm

First off you must really like that Southwind a lot to start into this endeavor, secondly I'd get some drywall on that stud wall before the grinding starts. LOL

Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:05pm
Yes, I guess I do like it that much or I hope too...bought it as a project. Never had it on water.
Great observation of the stud wall.

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:31pm
I think you ‘photoshopped ‘ it in, looks to perfect

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

First off you must really like that Southwind a lot to start into this endeavor, secondly I'd get some drywall on that stud wall before the grinding starts. LOL

That Gun Driver............always checkin' out the studs Wink

Somebody on here could probably e mail you a manual for that OMC engine.

It's not me, but I think his screen name begins with s and ends with williams if I remember right.

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:55am
I would greatly appreciate a manual.
i have a few basic questions...real entry level stuff.I am attaching two pics, question is are these considered "stringers" at first, I thought any of the wood under the fiberglass was part of the stringers. Now I am thinking the stringers are the stringers and the two pics I am adding are just part of the decking or whatever the technical name is. 
if they are not part of the stringers, does this mean they do not need to be replaced with the accuracy needed for the stringers? Can I customize, move, etc?
expand for storage, built in cooler etc?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 9:12am
Brett,
No, the wood in you picture are not part of the stringer system. It's there so there's something to screw the forward seats to. 

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That Gun Driver............always checkin' out the studs Wink  

You know it but I do prefer straight studs Big smile  Looks like new construction with that nice clean light gray concrete floor. 
Ah, I remember when mine looked like that many projects ago LOL

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 12:21pm

Looks like new construction with that nice clean light gray concrete floor. 
Ah, I remember when mine looked like that many projects ago

I remember mine too and how protective I USED to be about keeping the floor clean and new looking. LOL

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:43pm
Focus boys-Southwind Stringers...not shop floorsWink

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:45pm

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:47pm
so are there only three stringers ??

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:55pm
You should probably focus on searching the forum for things like BFN or Barefoot Nautique stringers, or "weeding the pumpkin patch" Wink

Since the Southwind and BFN are pretty much the same under the sole (ya catch that Pete?) you'll come up with a number of detailed threads about replacing their stringers and floors that you'll get plenty of info from.

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 4:01pm
Yes Sir-Ouch
I know better than to pop off on a thread you are on.
Thumbs Up

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:06pm
And I thought I was the only one that noticed the basement/garage wall project wasn’t finished;-)

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:17pm

I would greatly appreciate a manual

Send a PM to swilliams, I remember him offering an e mail copy of an OMC manual to someone a few years ago Wink

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I would greatly appreciate a manual

Send a PM to swilliams, I remember him offering an e mail copy of an OMC manual to someone a few years ago Wink

Link to Steve:

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=16774" rel="nofollow - https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=16774

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:37pm
Uh oh, I think that what I think I remembered is not quite what Steve was offering to e mail Wink

He was offering to e mail a wiring diagram, not a complete manual, but PM him anyways, a wiring diagram might be handy.

He has a manual but it's on paper from what I could figure out looking at his old posts.

Date Posted: September-13-2020 at 5:51pm
thanks- PM sent.
any info I can get will help with rebuild.
and dang, what an observant group...

Brett

Date Posted: September-14-2020 at 9:20am
assistants on break....

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: September-15-2020 at 2:52pm
yeah.. those dogs look frustrated with their owner that keeps getting side tracked with other projects, chores and the internet.. summer is turning to fall and their dreams of boating this season are slipping away!

Posted By: swilliams
Date Posted: September-15-2020 at 10:15pm
Sent Brett a PM. I don’t mind sending a copy of what I have but manuals sometimes will cover a limited amount of model numbers. If I had your model number then I can see if mine covers yours. Manuals for Omc aren’t hard to find, just figuring out which one is the hard part. I also have a parts manual. Steve

-------------
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.

Date Posted: September-16-2020 at 7:19am
Dang man...this is a hard site.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: September-17-2020 at 6:08am

Dang man...this is a hard site.

Ha..... You ain't seen nothing yet! Wait until you show up for a gathering/reunion.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:09am
Not much scheduled for the project this weekend as cooler weather prep dictates chores...
I am going to get the motor ready to pull.
From my reading here it seems pretty straight forward
Take plenty of pictures
label everything I disconnect
pull motor and drive together
clean shop floor.

please keep in mind that I have no mechanical or construction experience whatsoever so extreme novice.

I red on here somewhere in one of the stringer threads that doing the stringers is something everyone should do once.
made sense...and then I decided everyone should also rebuild a 350 in their life.

there is so much source material available...why not try...
total investment in project so far-300.00 including the boat...worst case, lots of entertainment for little investment.
best case-man card!!!

Date Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:13am

clean shop floor.

Clap Clap

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 67 ski nat
Date Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:22am
Brett. Sometimes a scared, detail oriented novice can do a nice first time job because you are so concerned and focused
Happened to me once

Date Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:25am
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: November-23-2020 at 2:11pm
Well after two plus months I am back in the game...
My cousin is helping me physically pull the motor, he is a farmer and the project got put on hold until they finished the harvest.
more progress pics to come....

Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:06am
Well, amazing how time flys!! I have continued doing a little work at a time all winter long on my 77 SW stringer rebuild and have gotten lazy about posting pics and updates-
heres the latest -

Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:11am

Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:12am

Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:13am
Sometime earlier it was brought up that my shop floor WAS clean...not so much anymore!

Posted By: swilliams
Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 1:57pm
Now that I see you engine picture, it is definitely a newer model than mine. Both would be 350 ci and 260 hp. Mine has Mallory distributor whereas yours appears to be a Prestolite. Parts may be a bit easier to find but the RWP is a dinosaur! Have you found the parts and service manuals yet?

-------------
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.

Posted By: pjsmoreno
Date Posted: May-07-2021 at 3:39pm

Now you’re almost if not at the fun part of putting it back together.

No Kidding here.

It would be what I would enjoy doing.

Date Posted: May-10-2021 at 10:18am
I have not done anything to motor except pull it thus far.

I am thinking of doing a few fun things such as adding some storage and cup holders when i do the floor.

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 7:57am
Been slowly plugging away...
I have completely fried two angle grinders, one a Makita and one a Harbor Freight cheapy.
I am running on good extension cord, is this just from the fiberglass dust?
Would a belt sander held up better?

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:01am
doesn't look horrible for what that's worth...

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:28am
upgrade made for security team, the floor was dusty.

Posted By: samudj01
Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:31am
We got no where with a belt sander. Angle grinder with heavy grit flap disc. Surprised you burnt up the Mikita. Not sure why. Progress looks good.

-------------
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Surprised you burnt up the Mikita. 

I'm not. They don't have a grreat track record with me. 

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 9:56am
Brett

Any self respecting backyard hack would buy a Harbor Freight grinder and when the cashier asks "do you want the extended warranty" quickly say yes if you're gonna abuse the snot out of it.

Unless of course it's really cheap and the warranty costs as much as the grinder, then you just buy another one at the same time.

Their return policy is pretty liberal

The security team looks poised and ready to leap into action Wink

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 12:34pm
Pete didn’t like my Metabo grinder either LOL  And it’s been getting abused since the ‘80s

Brett dump the flappers ( not much better than sandpaper)  and go to your local Autobody supply store and get a bunch of 3m 24 & 36 grit grinding discs. They will cut your work in half Wink

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114053890463?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/itm/114053890463?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40064909/?preselect=3292890893+8758460" rel="nofollow - https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40064909/?preselect=3292890893+8758460

Green or maroon either or doesn’t matter I’ve used both with same amount of success.

Posted By: wayoutthere
Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 12:47pm

Most economical and effective way to go in my opinion ;
The harbor freight polisher as pictured (not random orbit).
The 600 to 3500 rpm range is ideal for all kinds of grinding cutting and buffing, but lets stick with grinding.

By the pictures
The motor is pressure sensitive, so at all rpms when you lean on it, it'll torque like a mother to maintain the setting
Save any and all other thread on or spacers from your other grinders, they come in real handy for flap discs to keep the arbor off what your grinding.
Speed control knob is in a good spot, it comes with a 7 inch rubber backed velcro pad, 4 inch pads are available, i hole saw the beat up pads to whatever diameter is needed.

Throw out the d-ring handle if it has one and use the single hand grip from one of the busted 4 inch on either side depending where your at in the boat.
Economically, the velcro grinding discs are the way to go, you need 36 and 80 grit for this part of the job.

The 4, 41/2 inch grinders spin at 12500 rpm, boom it's game on, getting surgical is tough at that speed on your knees in a corner on the bottom of a boat.  
On slow speed you can get in, cut, grind shape just about any material even without a good gip on the machine, the 4 inch is like holding a giant python thats trying to get loose and bite you.

Its not as loud and doesn't throw dust as far or as hard at 3500 compared to 12000 but it makes the same amount.

Cut your old tabbing down with the 4 inch pad, then feather it in and flatten it out with the 7 inch pad so the new stringers and tabbing go a little easier.
Don't waste your money on a belt sander for this job. 

Grinders and fiberglass don't play well together, the dust clogs up the motor loosing cooling air and even the gears and bearings get dust, after a while it'll start rattling and coming apart on ya.

Sorry if i sound a little short, was on my way out the door when i seen this and quick grabbed up the stuff to take pics and post.

Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 1:51pm

get a bunch of 3m 24 & 36 grit grinding discs. They will cut your work in half Wink 

I agree and also you'll need to be careful to not go all the way through the hull! Big smile

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: August-02-2021 at 6:33pm
The last time I bought a power tool at HF, they said if I didn't get the warranty, it was not returnable, even if it was dead out of box.,

Hate that place but still go thereOuch

Edit - next time they say that I will plug it in there before I pay!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-03-2021 at 7:24am
This is great info.
Thanks

Date Posted: July-24-2023 at 12:52pm

Date Posted: July-24-2023 at 1:04pm

Posted By: wayoutthere
Date Posted: July-25-2023 at 9:20pm
looks like your doing some nice work there, keep at it, keep updating. 

Date Posted: July-26-2023 at 8:25am

Some pics from oil pan removal...

Print Page | Close Window