Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40586
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 12:04am

Topic: 1955 CommuterRestore
Posted By: 81nautique
Subject: 1955 CommuterRestore
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 9:55pm
While in the Hurricane thread last week I alluded to a project that's been keeping me busy for a while so I thought it was about time I shared what's been happening down at the farm for the last 2 winters.

Todd and Renee Weitekamp have talked about owning a wood boat for as long as I've known them and it was starting to sound less like talk and more like "lets find one". They ended up settling on one that Billy Sutton had in his lean to that was not going anywhere soon. Billy sent pictures, they looked too good to be true. Plus this boat was titled as a 56 but it was clear to me that it was a 55, a long lost anniversary boat cousin to the Hurricane and the Hurricane was lonely. I thought what a pair these 2 boats will be running side by side someday. So off to Louisianna we went.

14 hours later I'm thinking "Does every boat purchase start the same way?, WTH Well we later learned that the pictures weren't exactly current, I mean it looked that good at one time but it was in need of some help now. Main issue we knew going in was that the deck would have to be replaced. Not that big of a job Todd, I'll be glad to help. Then we'll refinish the sides and go boating. What we didn't expect was the condition of the sides, they would need major attention and at minimum would need to be refastened.

In the end we decided to take the project home, see it's already no longer a boat, it was a Project now. And it was getting nicknames like "splinter" and eventually would become known as "Hairball". First impressions can be brutal but underneath she was a good boat and so it began....Again

Replies:
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:03pm
So we dragged her home over a couple day trip, losing the skins on a tire half way home but we made it.

She's a great 20 footer but the old side planking on the boat had dried so much there was in some cases more than an 1/8" space between the planking, it looked terrible and certainly couldn't be filled. Over dinner that night we decided we'd pull the old planking off, clean and refit it all back together then install a wider rubrail at the top to cover any remaining space. I read about that on the internets somewhere so it must work!

Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:10pm
So over the next few months we striped the boat and removed all the planking. Not really finding any major surprises we continued executing our plan, screw by screw, plank by plank. we striped and cleaned each plank.   Plugged holes and prepped the boat for refastening.

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:15pm
Been waiting for you to start another project Alan. Is that the AMC 327? Still working my way towards starting the Starflite. Love the determination folks you have.

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:23pm
We worked on the boat for a few months last winter and started back with a vengeance this November. Since then we've gotten the sides reinstalled, fitted and installed new transom boards and fitted and installed an entire new deck. Renee became my installation partner on the sides and deck, she handled every task I threw at her, an amazing and eager partner. Todd put a lot of time in doing mechanical work, rebuilding the trailer and installing new knee braces, He was our go to CPES man, think maybe we'll call him TPES.

So here she is with the old side planking reinstalled and getting her new transom.

We also got a visit one Saturday from Swanny and Brian, Huge help with getting a lot of the new knees cut and fitted. There was a lot of wood flying with 5 of us on the boat that day

Did you catch that they wore their CCfan gear, class acts these guys.

Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:30pm
Moving right along, the last month has been getting the deck installed. That was a bit intricate but turned out pretty good.

Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:36pm
And this is where she sits now, we're just about done with wood working, shes been completely faired in and sanded. The three of us spent 2 full days grinding and longboarding every inch of that hull. I personally don't think it could have come out any better.

we took off as much wood as we hung

Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:38pm
Last step was to get the entire boat bleached, She looks good even if that is just water. I haven't seen her since she dried but Renee says she's nice and bright. Hopefully she will get some stain this weekend.

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:17pm
Incredible. Wow!

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:27pm
I was wondering what you were working on. It's been too quiet! Another wonderboat.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:38pm
Alan. I have always wanted a wood boat as well. I think if you help me..........In all seriousness, you are a fine craftsman and it a real treat to be able to see all the hard work come together and look so awesome. Thanks for documenting and sharing the stories along the way. Keep up the ambitious projects!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:17am
And, yet another CC for the history books!! Fantastic to say the very least.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:23am
You are sly Alan. Are you planning on 327 power?

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 1:05am
OMG...

makes me wanna buy a wood boat just so you'll come to my house and hang/work.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 1:24am
Check out Renee digging right in there too,way to go! Beautiful work

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 2:00am
Check out that flexibility too. My knees hurt looking at her.

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 5:24am
I've been following it on FB... I was hoping it would get it's story posted here with lots of pictures (God knows we all crave pictures here).

Alan, Renee, Todd and others working on this beauty: ab-so-f*ckin'-lutely awesome!

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 5:57am
Great work, is there any left over timber? You will have build a wooden kneeboard to match..Renee looks like a natural

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 6:53am
Very nice.

-------------
Js

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 8:31am
Beautiful boat and some amazing work. Keep the pics coming.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: fgroce
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:07am
Boat looks great, it takes lots of work to bring back the dead. Keep it up looking forward to pictures of her running on the lake.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:18am
Man is that sweet.. You all rocked that thing out. Nicely done. Will be stunning. Can't wait to see it out of the shop one day soon..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:26am
So quick answer on power for the time being will be a 6 cyl 140hp Gray marine.   I'm not sure how long Todd will be able to live with that but for now that's what it will get. This one is also getting a ski pylon so they can tow the kids around behind it.

This project has been in the fast lane because it's a true group effort. I show up on Saturdays but there's work happening during the week that make my days productive. Great teamwork and it has been a ton of fun.    Todd will probably jump in with more pictures once he sees this as he's the real cameraman.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:00am
Great story, Boat looks great, Alan. You could give up your day job.

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

power for the time being will be a 6 cyl 140hp Gray marine.   .

A few options per the 55 price sheet:

Keep it original!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 12:10pm
It must be a 135 Gray then Pete, I haven't done much more than help pull the motor when it comes to mechanical stuff, That's Todd's realm with this one.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 2:05pm
Todd who??? All I see is everybody except Todd working, lol

Sure is coming along nicely, great work by all!!
Barely give him 1 summer before he is working on a new power plant, any diesel options for the little boats in 55', lol

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 3:33pm
Is he going to order a BoatMate for it?

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

All I see is everybody except Todd working, lol

Funny, that's exactly what I noticed when going through the pictures!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Is he going to order a BoatMate for it?

Ha, I sense sarcasm? LOL
Came with a decent trailer that Todd had blasted and powder coated, put a new axle and skins on it and it's good to go.   See he's been working in the background. Us primadona woodworkers get all the glory but he's been at it hard!

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 7:28pm
Dug up a few pictures of when we were building the decking. Ended up getting a piece of flexible molding from Home Depot to use as a router guide. Made some little braces and after a few hours of placement ran the router along the edge for a nice clean radius. Had to do the same down the length of the deck as well. Lots of router work there, 2 days in total just to get it fitted.

Anyone remember this puzzling look from the Hurricane thread. "Wonder what Renee's making for lunch?"

Date Posted: February-21-2017 at 7:38pm
And here's proof that Todd works although Tippy keeps a pretty close eye on him.   This is NOT photoshopped by the way. Cat just climbed up to see what was going on. I wasn't a cat person until I met Tippy, he's so cool he's almost a dog.

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:10am
Does it need to be flipped?

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 9:16am
They don't generally love to be flipped.They seem to always land on their feet

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Does it need to be flipped?

Jack, The boat has had a recent fiberglass skin put over the bottom. Generally not ideal but this one was done very well and appears to be very tight and dry. We really struggled with what to do about that and in the end decided to leave it as is and just get some fresh paint on it. Is it hiding some questionable areas? Maybe, but we knew if we dug into it we would be looking at adding $5-6000 and another year of work to the cost of the boat by having to replace a bottom. It really looks like it's well done so we decided to run it for as long as it lasts which who knows may be 10 or 15 years before it needs attention again.

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 11:54am
Great Stuff Guys, This is really awesome!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:20pm

Looks like Todd was the guy who did all the deck screwing!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:25pm
And the funny thing is Todd thinks this is his boat......

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 12:38pm
Another fine example of craftsmanship. Well done.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 3:41pm

Ha, I LOL
Todd blasted and powdered us and it's good in the back. Us primadonas get all the glory but he's been at it hard!

Posted By: crabman
Date Posted: February-22-2017 at 4:43pm
Some day I'll have a wooden boat! Simply stunning

-------------
https://youtube.com/shorts/D6xrs4xlDVY?si=uOaaduvSAlFcLOAU

Posted By: Waldo
Date Posted: February-26-2017 at 3:48pm
You people have some serious talent. I hope you're skills are getting passed down to the next generation. Simply amazing.

Waldo

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: February-26-2017 at 8:28pm
There is one thing I am not clear on. When you set up the router guide to cut the radius out on the bow ( forgive my terminology here) I can understand that part pretty well. then the deck boards go into place with a very even spacing and also on the end grain.   How do you make everything so even. do you dry fit the deck boards and then rerouter the whole thing or do you fit each deck board one at a time. Once the radius is cut on them do you just cut them to length so they fit evenly at the windshield end?    I am sorry if that sounds confusing but I hope you get what i am asking.

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

There is one thing I am not clear on. When you set up the router guide to cut the radius out on the bow ( forgive my terminology here) I can understand that part pretty well. then the deck boards go into place with a very even spacing and also on the end grain.   How do you make everything so even. do you dry fit the deck boards and then rerouter the whole thing or do you fit each deck board one at a time. Once the radius is cut on them do you just cut them to length so they fit evenly at the windshield end?    I am sorry if that sounds confusing but I hope you get what i am asking.

Not confusing at all and at one point I did plan on using a collar on the router to follow the curve and copy it to the deck planks but I didn't for 2 reasons. First being I'm working 100 miles from home and I forgot my router accessories and second the African Mahogany we used is fairly brittle and tends to tear out when working across end grain. I ended up just fitting all the deck planks by hand, wasn't really that bad of a job.

There was a ton of router work fitting the deck boards that run down the length of the deck though.   There are 9 pieces on each side and all edges were done with the router. very tedious and time consuming task.   It looks to me like the factory did that work on a band saw which must have been a nightmare, Not having access to a band saw we went with the router which ended up being the way to go for a nicer joint.   The process is really the same as hanging side planks and copying the edge from one board to the next with a jig I made when I was doing the Hurricane.

Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:55am
So Saturday was a fairly easy day, we had a little final prep then taped off the details and got to staining. Took us about 3 hours. Later this week Renee will get the blond areas stained and then we'll get our first coats of sealer on the boat. Our goal was get the boat sealed before the spring weather and humidity wreaks havoc on our woodworking, the recent weather has had us scrambling to get it sealed but I think we're in good shape.

We were pretty happy with how the old side planking came out, Those are the original 60 year old planks that got cleaned and rehung bedded in 5200.   We did as much structural shoring up as we could so hopefully the boat doesn't move much once it starts getting used and those seams stay nice and tight for us.   Also very pleased with how well the old side planking stained up, it matches the new top deck very well, I think our second bleaching of the sides was worth that effort.

Any wood that's been left raw at the moment will be done in a blond stain.

Posted By: Lakeview
Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:04pm
A Shipwright you ARE!!! beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail.Where did you source your mahogany from? afraid to ask the board foot price.Keep us posted.

-------------
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 6:05pm
Stunning

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 8:35pm
Museum quality work for sure.

I'd have a hard time putting it in the water!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:42pm
uh....WOW.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: February-28-2017 at 9:48am
So many pictures and details to enjoy!
Just plain "wow" like Jbear stated

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:42am
Looking CCFantastic guys but we all know Alans craftsmanship with wood. So cool so see this boat restored to its former glory. Todd, you really gotta come up with a unique name for Renees boat. I did go back and look for pics when the previous owner had it and this was the best shot I had of it. She was in really great shape I thought but that was 7 years ago.... Looking forward to another ride and drive in it!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: February-28-2017 at 10:54am
Wow. Such a beautiful boat. Can't wait to see the finished product.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Lakeview Lakeview wrote:

A Shipwright you ARE!!! beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail.Where did you source your mahogany from? afraid to ask the board foot price.Keep us posted.

Thank you, Wood came from L.L. Johnson in Michigan,   Quinner will be by with a Johnson joke any minute now.

I don't have a board foot price of lumber for you but I can tell you that the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.   Seems like all the supplies other than lumber have almost doubled since I did the Hurricane a few years ago.   The cost of Good quality 3M sandpaper will make your head spin.   

Date Posted: March-01-2017 at 6:27pm

the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.

I've been using LOTs of http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_400_voc/overview/Loctite-PL-400-VOC-SubFloor-&-Deck-Adhesive.htm" rel="nofollow - Locktite PL on the house project. It's a moisture cure polyurethane just like 5200 and have always been impressed with the bonding of any polyurethane. Yes, it too isn't cheap but lots less than 5200 plus, it is available in the big cartridges. If I ever get to the launch project, I'm very tempted to use the PL. It does state not for continuous water immersion so I would limit it about the waterline. .

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-01-2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

the cost of lumber on one of these projects is dwarfed by the absurd cost of 5200 and Silicon Bronze screws.

I've been using LOTs of http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_400_voc/overview/Loctite-PL-400-VOC-SubFloor-&-Deck-Adhesive.htm" rel="nofollow - Locktite PL on the house project. It's a moisture cure polyurethane just like 5200 and have always been impressed with the bonding of any polyurethane. Yes, it too isn't cheap but lots less than 5200 plus, it is available in the big cartridges. If I ever get to the launch project, I'm very tempted to use the PL. It does state not for continuous water immersion so I would limit it about the waterline. .

Boy I would have to let someone else experiment with that Pete. Might be fine but I wouldn't want to find out otherwise after a couple years of work. The big shops are probably buying a lot better than the back yarder but buying by the case is brutal and you can't get a deal and stock up on it because it does go bad. We've actually ended our work day based on whether we have to open another tube and partially use it.

Date Posted: March-01-2017 at 7:25pm

Boy I would have to let someone else experiment with that Pete. Might be fine but I wouldn't want to find out otherwise after a couple years of work. The big shops are probably buying a lot better than the back yarder but buying by the case is brutal and you can't get a deal and stock up on it because it does go bad. We've actually ended our work day based on whether we have to open another tube and partially use it.

Alan,
I agree letting someone else try it first. and I thought you could be the " guinea pig"!! Really, I've got two staircases coming up that need treads and risers attached with the PL so I'm going to start some controlled testing.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-06-2017 at 10:53am
I took the weekend off to start putting the Hurricane motor together but Renee and Todd got the blond stain done and it looks awesome from here.   By next weekend it should have a coat of sealer on it.   Then we'll get the bilge painted, start fitting the new floor, Spray rails and interior ceiling boards. Still lots of work to do but making progress.

Date Posted: March-13-2017 at 12:23pm
Last minute change of plans so I wasn't able to get down to work on the boat this weekend but the crew did get the first coat of sealer applied. She's looking good, enjoy

Date Posted: March-13-2017 at 3:21pm
Alan,
It sure doesn't look like Billy's boat anymore!! He doesn't visit us anymore so hopefully you sent him some pictures of the progress.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-13-2017 at 3:25pm
Once again no sign of Toad, you and Renee are doing an outstanding job on that boat!!

-------------

Date Posted: March-13-2017 at 8:32pm
Hi the boat looks awesome, I do not know anything about wooden boats, what do you mean when you (bedded the planks in 5200). Do you coat the underside 100% with 5200 or just around the edges.   How about pictures for an example. Thanks Keep up the great work. It really does look great.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: March-13-2017 at 9:37pm
The boat looks great and it seems the apprentice has learnt well from the master.

Those foam rollers give an amazing finish. Just discovered them as I was going to paint some old wooden bedside draws and a large chest of draws in the bedroom remodel. Had planned to spray but a friend of mine suggested those rollers. Glad he did, cheap enough just to throw the roller after use the turps is more expensive than the roller

Alan on the 3m 5200 maybe have a look at the Sikaflex Marine polyurethane. Hard to get the 3m products in Oz.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 7:20am
Just beautiful how she's coming together!

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 8:09am
Beautiful work as always and I'll definitely use the foam roller trick on the set of Cypress Gardens Mustang Ski's I'm restoring. Can't wait to see it again in person.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Hi the boat looks awesome, I do not know anything about wooden boats, what do you mean when you (bedded the planks in 5200). Do you coat the underside 100% with 5200 or just around the edges.   How about pictures for an example. Thanks Keep up the great work. It really does look great.

Thanks and yes the entire board is bedded in 5200 like you would do with floor tile. it is spread it on with a notched trowel

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The boat looks great and it seems the apprentice has learnt well from the master.

Those foam rollers give an amazing finish. Just discovered them as I was going to paint some old wooden bedside draws and a large chest of draws in the bedroom remodel. Had planned to spray but a friend of mine suggested those rollers. Glad he did, cheap enough just to throw the roller after use the turps is more expensive than the roller

Alan on the 3m 5200 maybe have a look at the Sikaflex Marine polyurethane. Hard to get the 3m products in Oz.

hey Mark, Thank you, They are both doing a great job although between work travel, kids, family and everything else it can be tiring for all of us. I'm lucky and am about 2 Saturdays away from finishing up my end of the work, Then it gets turned over to Todd and Renee for varnish, paint and mechanical work, Still a long way to go yet.

On the Sika, I use that on the deck seams as it flows much better than the 5200, problem is I don't think it's made in the mahogany color we use when planking.

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Beautiful work as always and I'll definitely use the foam roller trick on the set of Cypress Gardens Mustang Ski's I'm restoring. Can't wait to see it again in person.

Tim, unless you're using varnish I might be inclined to buy a spray can of Minwax polyurethane and spray it on. If you do apply by hand the method is to roll it on and then brush it smooth with a dry foam brush from Harbor freight. That gets the roller lines and air bubbles out. Toss the roller and the brush in the trash when done.

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:05pm
Ok, so the top 3/4 of that boat is going to be beautiful, going to be - hell it already is!. Now, I remember you mentioned the bottom had a West Marine Fiberglass job done to it, specifically you remarked it was actually in good shape. So what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped, so the bottom can be sanded, painted to give it a finish to match the rest of the beautiful boat?

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Ok, so the top 3/4 of that boat is going to be beautiful, going to be - hell it already is!. Now, I remember you mentioned the bottom had a West Marine Fiberglass job done to it, specifically you remarked it was actually in good shape. So what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped, so the bottom can be sanded, painted to give it a finish to match the rest of the beautiful boat?

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    Going to use a 2 part polyurethane so all the old paint has to come off since we don't know what it is. We did some test sanding and it's going to come off fairly easy. Flipping would be better but at this point we just don't want to.

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:19pm

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

what will happen to the bottom - will the boat be flipped,?

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    .

My arms hurt just from the thought!!

Alan,
You mentioned the glass looked good. Are there any signs of fracturing at any seams? When the paint comes off, you may be able to get a better idea?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:23pm

No flip, good old lay on your back sand and paint.    .

My arms hurt just from the thought!!

Arms, shoulders, neck, back... Yeah, that ain't going to be any fun...

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:30pm
What color are they going to do it? Seems like most Correct Crafts from the 50's don't use copper. Was that more of a 60's color?

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 12:49pm
yep I know. I repainted the Hurricane bottom last summer and it is not fun. The red paint on there now though doesn't seem to be to tough.

As for color I only know for certain it will not be red. Same with the interior.

Date Posted: March-14-2017 at 1:26pm
Wouldn't it be easier to set the hull on sandpaper and slide the boat back and forth?

Somewhat surprised at the no flip Alan, recruit some farmboys down there and you would think you could lift and roll that thing by hand, maybe it weighs more then I am thinking??

-------------

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: March-15-2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to set the hull on sandpaper and slide the boat back and forth?

Hahahahaha. I actually snorted beer through my nose.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:35pm
Got the interior ceiling boards fitted up this weekend. They'll need to come off and get a 1/4 round then get some stain.   Last bit of woodworking will be the rear spray rails.

Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:40pm
yesterday was a test fit of the seating to see if there's any mods needed before it goes out for upholstery. Not sure what was going on with the rear seat but it get dropped back down to it's original height. Guessing someone was trying to make a storage area but to be kind I'd just say that looks a little uncomfortable.

Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 12:57pm
Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.

-------------

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:06pm
This is kind of funny/sad/true so I'm adding it to the back seat height conversation. Quinner and I are trying to get in better shape and we were out kayaking yesterday. I mentioned that the pounds I've put on the last ten years have to come off because when I'm traveling in Asia, they do not have toilets of the kind us Yankees (and Rebels) are accustomed to. Without too much detail, let's just say that getting back up after doing one's business is a lot more like a deep water slalom start than it should be. Getting old has some consequences that need attention.

Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.

John,
I hope you're not putting me in the " old geezer" category! I didn't even put these extra talls in the new house!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-20-2017 at 1:34pm

[QUOTE=john b] Maybe just old people Alan. Some of the geezers I have had in the Supra have trouble on a 5" seat and I suspect they will in the Mustang too.

John,
I hope you're not putting me in the " old geezer" category! I didn't even put these extra talls in the new house!

Not a chance, Pete. You have a love for boats. Some of the casuals take one look at the Alumitoon and the Supra and there is no further discussion. They need their patio.

-------------

Date Posted: May-01-2017 at 11:13am
I've been out of the picture for a few weeks now but the work continues. Hardware has been dropped off at the platers, interior is underway and the bottom got a couple of coats of hard racing copper. Varnish work is up next.

Date Posted: May-02-2017 at 9:40pm
Wow looks great.

-------------
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: May-03-2017 at 2:53pm
Very Nice!!

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 5:54pm
Time flies! Time for a Commuter update and what a cool update this will be. Exciting news on the power plant.

Todd located a Chrysler Hemi up in Canada last December so he made a deal and hit the road.   We weren't exactly sure what it was because the original engine badge was missing . It had dual quads so it was either a 331 at 250 hp or a 354 at 275 hp. How could you go wrong with that right?

Anyway the motor made it home and I headed down to the farm the next Saturday to see if we could get it running. It came out of a big Greavette that was being repowered and it supposedly ran. We spent a few hours checking it out, getting fuel and power hooked up. It spun over easy by hand so we oiled it up and turned the key.   Took a few cranks but eventually fired up and sounded pretty darn good. Oddly enough it developed a miss after a few minutes so we shut it down and decided to do a compression test. Found one dead cylinder and one with about 50 psi so the heads had to come off.

this is what we found. The old sodium filled exhaust valves were pretty beat so the heads got sent out and refurbished from top to bottom. New guides and oversize valves.

We decided to load the motor up and bring it to my shop so we could work inside in the heat. Once we got the heads back we did some cleaning up of parts and sprayed it.

Loading her back up for the drive south to the farm, gift wrapped for Renee!

We did verify from casting numbers and measuring the bore that it is a 331 at .030 over so it's a 250 Hp version. very cool motor to say the least.

Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:06pm
Over the last few weeks we've dropped the motor in for a test fit so we could measure for a new Prop Shaft.   We also took the time to double up and reinforce the stringers as the motor didn't quite sit well on the single stringer.   Prop shaft took about a month because we also had to have a coupler custom made to fit the hemi transmission just like I did with the Hurricane's motor but we finally got that back last week so last Saturday was drop in day.

Went very well actually although lining this beast up with static motor mounts is pretty crude way of doing things but we got it. Next was to cut the ribs for the dual exhaust and holes through the transom.

Todd did some mock ups so he can have some exhaust outlets fabricated

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:11pm
Nice work gang

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 6:11pm
Varnish is done except for the final coat which will happen after we finish up more of the mechanical work. We'll get it back on the trailer and the final varnish will be done in an auto finishing booth because the dust in the wood shop is not acceptable. Stripes have been caulked. The do to list is still very long but line items are getting crossed off one at a time. Someday!

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 7:03pm
Nice progress

Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 7:22pm
That boat is looking nice! Will that engine handle both of those carbs?

Posted By: samudj01
Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 8:23pm
Can’t wait to see that in person...white lake?

-------------
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-26-2018 at 8:24pm
Will the gas credit card handle those carbs?

Really cool stuff!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-27-2018 at 12:04am
Beautiful!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: January-27-2018 at 11:12am
Super cool, guys. Wow!

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That boat is looking nice! Will that engine handle both of those carbs?

They're a bit much Bruce. The originals would have been WCFB Carters with about 375 CFM each depending on the model.   The Edelbrocks came on the engine so we'll run it as is and try to tune it the best we can and go from there.   The other option is to go with a single four barrel like on mine but these look to cool not to give them a try first.

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Will the gas credit card handle those carbs?

Really cool stuff!

yes as long as it's Todd's and not mine we should be just fine

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 2:15pm
The duals are cool. I'd try disabling the secondaries before going to a single.

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:27pm
Alan,
I see the Hemi was an option for the Commuter so, did CC Todds dog house big enough for it?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:37pm

Alan,
I see the Hemi was an option for the Commuter so, did CC Todds dog house big enough for it?

LOL, Hell No Pete! She's got broad shoulders. Doghouse is on our list, luckily the motor change came about before the upholsterer started.

Date Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:41pm
Pete, I'm curious as to how the Commuter will ride as the motor sits about 9" forward of where the Hurricanes sits. The Hurricane rides bow high which is cool but it won't turn hard unless you cut the throttle a bit and get the nose in the water. The Commuter MIGHT ride a little flatter and turn better, hopefully we'll find out this spring.

Print Page | Close Window