Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39633
Printed Date: April-19-2024 at 8:25pm

Topic: 1st Generation Ski Nautique Roster
Posted By: skutsch
Subject: 1st Generation Ski Nautique Roster
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 12:29pm
Art always wanted to start a Thread to track the owners of 1st Generation Ski Nautiques. So hear you go Art. We should let Alan be the first to post here as he is the owner of Ski Nautique Number 1.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Replies:
Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 1:04pm
Ok Steve Thanks. Maybe post the hull numbers too, be interesting to see where the oldest CorrectCraft Ski Nautique is

#1 GLASS CRAFT Ski Nautique., Illinois Contact: 81Nautique, Alan Arrighi

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 1:13pm
SN1330 1964 Correct Craft Ski Nautique.      Iowa    Contact: skutsch, Steve Kutsch (for owner Roger)

Ford interceptor 312. Seat configuration: Driver, Side Facing Observer& Rear Facing Officials Seat (Port side next to dog house), Teal Deck, white hull with teal boot stripe. Plywood Dog House, Optional Ski-Matic Electric Ski Rope Retreival Sytem. Original Trailer

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 3:58pm
Had to chime in.. (also to get notices of posts :) 1st Gen Roster...Great idea!
A first Gen SN is on my "looooong range" bucket list. LOL

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 4:10pm
1967 - Power Blue, split windshield, 318 Chrysler.

In the midst of a slow going restoration of stringers, floor, all interior and gelcoat. Here is a picture from several years ago prior to going under the knife.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Posted By: ArtCozier
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:08pm
On behalf of Correct Craft, registering the 1961 Ski Nautique that lives in the reception lobby at the factory. It goes to the Masters Waterski & Wakeboard Tournament at Callaway Gardens each year, leads the Opening Ceremony boat parade and bears the Flag for the National Anthem before the finals, I also frequently bring it to CCF events.

Unfortunately, the hull ID number was lost when the boat was re-stringered in 1986. We know that it was one of the first few built by Correct Craft after acquiring the molds from Leo Bentz. It could have been the first one, but we can't claim that without evidence.

It's a white hull with red deck, as were most of the boats that we built for Cypress Gardens. The engine is either a 292 or a 312 Interceptor, we don't know for sure which it is.   

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

The engine is either a 292 or a 312 Interceptor, we don't know for sure which it is.   

Art,
Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not, I'd say it's the 292 or even a 272? If you get a chance, look for the engine model number which will confirm the CI. It will be on the cam shaft cover where the mechanical tach output drive is located. BTW, does it have a mechanical or electric tach?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:53pm
There's two first Gen on my lake.

#1 which is my uncles. He is technically 3rd owner but I say 2nd because my family was the 2nd but we never did anything to it. We know the whole history of it and it's been either in family, or very close to family it's whole life. 1969 Ski Nautique originally had a 318, but now has a 440 (sorry pete, I tried to tell him keep it original) Red hull with ivory deck.

#2 Some guy on our lake has a 1966-1969 (don't know exact year) Sea foam green that seems all original. His dad was the original owner and it was passed on to him. I've been trying to talk my dad into buying it and restoring it.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:56pm
And this lake is called?

Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And this lake is called?

Lake of the Woods. It's between Bremen Indiana and Plymouth Indiana.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 7:56pm
Do really rough, soon to be parts boats count?    If so - 1965 SN with ragged 318 Poly below:

http://i.imgur.com/KbpZna1.jpg%20" rel="nofollow">

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Posted By: Old skier
Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:09pm
This is my 1964 Ski Nautique hull number SN 1378. Second owner. Yes I did do some modifications,   

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:45pm
Pete, the original front engine cover, which is where Eaton stamped the engine data, long ago went to Corrosion Heaven and was replaced with a service part. Those covers are known for corroding through at the 90-degree turn where the water enters the block. And when they corrode through, the water goes directly into the oil.

I don't remember enough about the rebuild to be sure, but I know that we replaced the block. Whether it was an empty block or a short block, I don'[t remember. 292s and 312s were machined from the same castings, so the casting numbers only mean that it is one or the other. The cranks are different, and one way to tell without going inside the engine is to look on the flywheel flange on the crank. A 312 crank will have a round indentation about 5/16" in diameter on the flange. And I'm not about to pull off the trannie, bellhousing, and flywheel to find out!

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Do really rough, soon to be parts boats count?    If so - 1965 SN with ragged 318 Poly below:

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who would like to have it. I'm always opposed to parting them out.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The engine is either a 292 or a 312 Interceptor, we don't know for sure which it is.   

Art,
. BTW, does it have a mechanical or electric tach?

The engine has the connection on the cover for a mechanical tach, but there is an electric tach in the boat. I don't think there ever has been a Ski Nautique built by CC that had a mechanical tach in it. I think the Graymarines were the last engines we set with mechanical tachs.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:17pm
Looks like a center deck boat. Do you know the hull number? I am with Art, don't part it out. How are the stringers?

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:33pm

Art,
. BTW, does it have a mechanical or electric tach?

I think the Graymarines were the last engines we set with mechanical tachs.

And the Hercules tagged as Correct Craft engines but marinized by Chris.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-10-2016 at 9:44am
Adding my '67 to the list, will have to check the hull number. Originally had a LA/LM 318 and a wood motorbox. TBD what goes back in it... This boat is on my long term list.

Date Posted: August-10-2016 at 10:58am
The only thing I can see missing is a pair of "polished stainless CC logos! : )

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 12:49am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

SN1330 1964 Correct Craft Ski Nautique.      Iowa    Contact: skutsch, Steve Kutsch (for owner Roger)

Ford interceptor 312. Seat configuration: Driver, Side Facing Observer& Rear Facing Officials Seat (Port side next to dog house), Teal Deck, white hull with teal boot stripe. Plywood Dog House, Optional Ski-Matic Electric Ski Rope Retreival Sytem. Original Trailer

calender shot Steve...nice shot of Alan's/Gene's beautiful '81 in the background.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 2:36am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

calender shot Steve...nice shot of Alan's/Gene's beautiful '81 in the background.

john

Never made it, got lost on the cutting room floor. MY pictures are not MoreFoot or Frankenotter quality.

Don't forget Pete's Atom to the left of Alan's/GEne's. I like to think of it as Grampa (Atom), Dad (Gen 1) and Son...

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: ForestB
Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 12:15pm
Hi Guys just brought another project boat been told its a nautique can anyone give some info ?

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 12:41pm
It looks like a 1970;s Ski Nautique, but I can't tell for sure. Is the dashboard area inside the windshield gelcoated in black? The wing vents in the windshield date the windshield, but I don't recall the year that they were put in. If it's a 1972 or earlier, there should be an aluminum plate in front of the throttle control with a model and number stamped into it, like SN 0000. If it's '73 or later, there will be a number engraved in the upper starboard side of the transom that begins with CTC followed by nine more characters. The engine definitely doesn't look original.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 1:00pm
Thanks alot will have a look later , the engine is a 383 Chrysler apparently they were not originally marine engines but guys like to convert them heres another pic

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 1:11pm
Definitely a 1st gen SN but it's been highly, umm, modified. I don't see much original hardware left on it. Doesn't look to be a period correct Chrysler marinization, I'm guessing that's not original either.

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 4:05pm
I haven't been able to decide whether I'm seeing wood spray rails on the forward chines, or if I'm seeing shadows in the photos. Wooden rails mean 1969 or earlier. Also can't tell whether the "rail" that ran around the perimeter of the foredeck on the Gen Ones is there or not. In the third photo (the one with the price still written on the w/s) it looks as though it's there, but the other photos, no.

Forest, how about some photos of the items we have mentioned when you have time. The interior, the foredeck, chines forward, etc.
The engine and the pylon are definitely not original equipment, but nothing negative about that.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 4:36pm
basically what is left in the boat is the engine , propeller , gear box ,steering wheel and throttle control , I can confirm the splashgaurds are wooden I will send some more pics as soon as i can , The marinization is definitely a home job but not badly done at all . I am also busy restoring a 67 with a Chrysler 318 250hp the only part not original on that is the windscreen have the original carpets too but need to be replaced

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 5:18pm
Looking at the pictures, it looks like a 1969 of prior Ski Nautique. I, like Art, would like to see a picture of the foredeck to be sure. The windshield is not correct, and there are things missing, like the front and rear left rings for the boat. If there is a hull ID number still attached it would be in the engine compartment, SN####. Looks like a project.

Posted By: cbr1000dude
Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Old skier Old skier wrote:

Looking at the pictures, it looks like a 1969 of prior Ski Nautique. I, like Art, would like to see a picture of the foredeck to be sure. The windshield is not correct, and there are things missing, like the front and rear left rings for the boat. If there is a hull ID number still attached it would be in the engine compartment, SN####. Looks like a project.

Like this on my 1967 SN
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/edheiser/media/1-7-15%20092_zpsjmsblxrh.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August-13-2016 at 7:20pm
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/edheiser/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsoep88eca.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">
1967 with a 318 Chrysler and a few mods.

Date Posted: August-14-2016 at 8:40am

This is my 67 still got alot of work just such a mission to get engine parts here in SA

Date Posted: August-14-2016 at 10:40am
Nice-looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-14-2016 at 10:53am
Oops, I think I posted a reply to the wrong post. Nice looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-16-2016 at 9:24pm

Oops, I think I posted a reply to the wrong post. Nice looking '67. Any idea where the motor box came from?

If you meant me, it's from a Stars and Stripes Mastercraft, not sure of the year. It was there when I bought the boat. It's about 2 inches too low, so the PO cut a hole in the top, patched that, and added plywood along the bottom to raise it. I used a lot of sandpaper and a DA sander to remove the stars and stripes and metalflake. I painted it to match the original top gel color, and carpeted the bottom 6 inches to cover the plywood inside and out. It's not perfect, but real solid and heavy. My one wire GM alternator and brackets fit too. Yes, I used black carpet........I like it with the red.
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/edheiser/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsi6wcfdak.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August-16-2016 at 9:43pm
The original Chrysler alternator was toast, and the voltage regulator smoked like crazy, so I replaced both with a modern charging system, and made my own brackets from SS stock.
The PO also left me a big hole in the dash he cut for a glove box that had fake wood on the cover, maybe 67 Chevy station wagon origin. So the instrument panel from a Seaswirl fit the hole perfectly (almost), and I matched up the wiring and senders. The new bilge pump works from the pump switch too. This was a trial and error project to put it mildly.
http://s50.photobucket.com/user/edheiser/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3crlcupu.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:07pm
Yes, it was you for whom I intended that comment. Thanks for clearing that up. I also have a motor box from a 1960s SN that some fool cut a hole in . Must have had a high-rise intake manifold and thought it would look cool to have the flame arrestor sticking through the motor box. Some people ought not to be allowed to touch boats!

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-16-2016 at 11:38pm

I also have a motor box from a 1960s SN that some fool cut a hole in . Must have had a high-rise intake manifold and thought it would look cool to have the flame arrestor sticking through the motor box. Some people ought not to be allowed to touch boats!

Art,
I'd have to say chances are very high that the dog house came from someone who converted from the YH's on a 312 to a downdraft. We even have a current member who did it!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Little one
Date Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:44pm
I know 1961 glass craft was the first year of the first generation ski nautique but what was the last year of the first generation ski nautique?

Date Posted: August-17-2016 at 12:56pm
Art, Correct me if I am wrong on this. The last year of the 1st generation SN was 1969. There was a change in 1970. Though the last year for the center deck boats was 1964. In 1965 they removed the center deck and put in a rear facing observers seat. Some center deck boats were purchased and titled after 1964, as back then the year of your boat was when it was titled in some states. But, to get back to your questions, 1969 was the last year.

Date Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Little one Little one wrote:

I know 1961 glass craft was the first year of the first generation ski nautique but what was the last year of the first generation ski nautique?

Hello...... Actually, Leo Bentz made the first Glass Crafts in 1957 and built them into 1061. In '61 he negotiated a deal with Correct Craft and turned over molds, parts, and unfinished product to CC. We started building them in 1961. The '61 that lives in the reception lobby at the factory is one of the very first ones that we built.

I consider the "first generation" to include the Leo Bentz Glass Crafts as well as the Correct Crafts through the 1969 model year. Perhaps we should designate sub-categories, like "First Gen GC" and "First Gen CC". There are still a good many GCs around.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: August-17-2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Old skier Old skier wrote:

Art, Correct me if I am wrong on this. The last year of the 1st generation SN was 1969. There was a change in 1970. Though the last year for the center deck boats was 1964. In 1965 they removed the center deck and put in a rear facing observers seat. Some center deck boats were purchased and titled after 1964, as back then the year of your boat was when it was titled in some states. But, to get back to your questions, 1969 was the last year.

That is all correct, and it triggers another "history" story. When it was decided that the SN should be made more attractive, Mr. W.O.. Meloon tasked our mold maker (Bill Ludeka, a true master of the trade, RIP) to make the boat more modern-looking and get rid of the wooden spray rails, but NOT to change the bottom design. A few days later Bill approached Mr. Meloon and asked, "Which side of that boat bottom would you like me to duplicate?" The bottom is asymmetrical, and the center line isn't in the center of the boat! I don't know what the actual answer was, but the 1970 SN was the result. If you carefully measure the chine lengths of a first-gen, you will find that the chines are different lengths.

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: August-17-2016 at 6:08pm

That is all correct, and it triggers another "history" story. When it was decided that the SN should be made more attractive, Mr. W.O.. Meloon tasked our mold maker (Bill Ludeka, a true master of the trade, RIP) to make the boat more modern-looking and get rid of the wooden spray rails, but NOT to change the bottom design. A few days later Bill approached Mr. Meloon and asked, "Which side of that boat bottom would you like me to duplicate?" The bottom is asymmetrical, and the center line isn't in the center of the boat! I don't know what the actual answer was, but the 1970 SN was the result. If you carefully measure the chine lengths of a first-gen, you will find that the chines are different lengths.

This is the stuff that keeps me coming back to the site. Thanks for Sharing, Art! Looking forward to hearing more stories in person at next year's SJRR!

-------------

Posted By: Got Tiques
Date Posted: August-18-2016 at 12:43pm
Ditto. Thanks for sharing, Art!!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4811" rel="nofollow - '78 Ski Tique

Posted By: 70CC
Date Posted: August-23-2016 at 12:33pm
SN1403 1965 Correct Craft Ski Nautique.

Special Order Ford interceptor 352 (FE Big Block, 240 HP). Red deck, white hull with red boot stripe. Plywood Dog House, Originally delivered to John "Doc" Horton's Ski School in Colorado.   See my "1965 Nautique Update" thread for more details and pics.

Posted By: ScottZ
Date Posted: September-15-2016 at 9:36am
So Art, to go from gen 1 to 2 it took a conversation between the owner and the mold maker.   Nothing gets done that easily these days!   Thanks for the story!

-------------
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier

Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 2:54pm
You are correct, Scott. Nowadays a new boat takes years to develop even after it has been decided what it will be. Changing and modifying a hull doesn't take as long, but still is a long process if the molds have to be changed out. The good news is that with today's resins, boats do not have to stay in the mold anywhere near as long as in the early days. I think in the 1970s CC had as many as 28 molds for Ski Nautique, and the boats had to be in the molds for 7 to 10 days. Today we can turn a mold around in 24 to 48 hours, so fewer molds are required.

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: JD ski
Date Posted: October-01-2016 at 1:26am
I love being able to read the history/evolution of the boats. Having the first hand information available is such an asset.

-------------
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter

Posted By: jake613
Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:11am
Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have a 1963 classic.
Is this a Gen 1 ski nautique?

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 1:33am
No, you have a '63 Classic. The hull is different than the Ski Nautique and the deck is different than the SN.

Posted By: relake
Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 9:29am
Love the '63 Classic, learned to ski behind one at Dale Hollow

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8310" rel="nofollow - '97 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 9:31am
Originally posted by jake613 jake613 wrote:

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but I have a 1963 classic.
Is this a Gen 1 ski nautique?

"There is no such a thing as a dumb question!" Old Skier's reply is correct; the Classic is a different model to the Ski Nautique. Correct Craft at times built as many as 14 or 15 different model names. The Classic later became the Barracuda. Note that in the 1960s we often used the model names of popular automobiles. Classic (American Motors Rambler), Torino (Ford)), Mustang (Ford) are examples that come to mind. You have a true "Classic" boat. Have you had it for a long time?

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 10:48am

The Classic later became the Barracuda.

I'd like to add that the Cuda hull was lengthened by 7" ( 16' 6" for the Classic to 17' 1" for the Cuda)

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:25am

The Classic later became the Barracuda.

I'd like to add that the Cuda hull was lengthened by 7" ( 16' 6" for the Classic to 17' 1" for the Cuda)

Not quite. Early cudas were 16'6" just like the classic. The harts could tell us when the hull grew.

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not quite. Early cudas were 16'6" just like the classic. The harts could tell us when the hull grew.

Well, we'll see if Bruce can comment on the year the change was made. I'm shocked the site historian doesn't know the year!!    

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 12:11pm
I don't know cudas very well... But I believe '66 was 16'6" and '68 was 17'... So the transition likely occurred either in '67 or '68. Dave showed me the trick to identifying which hull is which- the cap is rounded on an early (short) version and squared off on the later/longer one.

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: October-20-2016 at 12:14pm
We just put a tape to my '66 (maybe really '65 hull?) Al Tyll Skier ....... 16' 6"

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 2:35am
This one was in that neighborhood, came from Louisville Tennessee near Teleco lake and Fort Loudoun Lake.

Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 2:38am
Had it about 5 years, Its developed "spider web" type cracks in the gel around the transom and back half of the boat about 2 years ago. Quit using at that time, winterized and kinda forgot about it.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:10am
Jake, I think that Classic has popped up on this site before. Nice looking boat.

Steve, your Al Tyl is definitely the old short hull. I believe the Cuda short hull was only made in '65 and lengthened in '66. A lot of the '65s don't seem to have vents on the scoops, same as the Classics.

The long hull drives much better in turns. The short hulls really plow and feel tubby, especially when going slower. The longer hulls don't do that.

Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:24am
I'm noticing that people on here know much more about the genesis of these boats than I do. I have always focused on the Ski Nautique, and in the 60s almost exclusively SN. I should probably defer references to other models to those who know the nuances when questions arise unless I can back up my answers with references! Good job, guys!

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 9:43am
Art, when did you start working at Correct Craft? I've always wondered who designed the hulls. The SN, Mustang, Cuda and Wildcat hulls are some of the most beautiful hulls ever designed, IMO. Chris Craft and Century certainly did not have designers with nearly as good foresight as Correct Craft did when they went to glass.

Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 10:17pm
I'll try not to make this an autobiography, so will edit out a lot of details. In 1965 I bought a Ski Nautique from Leo Bentz without knowing what it represented,. It needed some new trim and a few parts to make it first-rate, so in my travels I stopped in at the CC factory to pick up the parts. Antiquated as it was at that time, I was fascinated with the building process. That was the beginning of my relationship with CC. As time went on, I got into the ski school business and used a SN as my main school boat. I got more and more involved in testing new ideas for them and coming up with improvements to the boat. I joined the tournament Promo Team in 1972 and between taking boats to tournaments, working fulltime, still doing some ski school, and trying to be a competitive skier, it was just too much. W.N. Meloon had made a casual remark about my coming to work for him at the 1973 Nationals, and in '74 I showed up at his office and announced that I was now working for him fulltime. Hardly looking up from his desk, he gave me my first assignment;, to install a reduction transmission in a SN and try it out. So the short answer is "Since 1965 and fulltime since 1974.

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: ScottZ
Date Posted: October-26-2016 at 11:32pm
Great story Art! Thanks for sharing that with all of us.

-------------
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 5:46am
Hey guys don't know if anyone can help but urgently looking for a Chrysler 318 starter in running order ?

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ForestB ForestB wrote:

Hey guys don't know if anyone can help but urgently looking for a Chrysler 318 starter in running order ?

Is it a right-or left hand rotation engine, and is the starter mounted next to the block, or is it mounted through the bellhousing from the rear?

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:53am
Art, sounds like your job is what most of us do for our hobby. You must have loved going to work every day.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:56am
Nice bit of history Art. Thanks for sharing that and all the other tid bits of info you have.

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:59am

Is it a right-or left hand rotation engine, and is the starter mounted next to the block, or is it mounted through the bellhousing from the rear?

Forest,
Do you have the starter? If so and considering your location, rebuild it. If you don't want to undertake the job yourself, there should be some shop in South Africa that can? All it may take are brushes and a commutator clean up?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 10:01am
Art,
I sure wish I had a carrier path like yours.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 2:26pm
The starter is on the bell housing , not sure if it's left or right hand rotating I've taken it to a few place and apparently it can't be fixed ? Is there not a place anywhere were I can get a new armature that's what I need

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 3:08pm
Not sure of your engine rotation? Is it a BW 1:1 transmission? If so, prop turns same way as engine. Check prop to determine. It is likely a reverse rotation engine, but check. If it is a reverse rotation and the starter is high up on the bell housing and comes in from the rear, then you use a "standard" rotation starter. Shouldn't be that hard to find, BUT, be sure to get a marine one (intrinsically safe) vs an auto one from auto zone. That could make it a little harder, but I bet they are out there.

-------------

Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 3:23pm

The starter is on the bell housing , not sure if it's left or right hand rotating I've taken it to a few place and apparently it can't be fixed ? Is there not a place anywhere were I can get a new armature that's what I need

If the starter is the one I am thinking of, it is easily available in the States. If the armature has failed, it would probably cost more to buy an armature than it would to buy a complete starter. We need to establish the engine rotation without any doubts. First check for the type of transmission you have. If it is an AS1-71 or a 1017, Warner it is a 1 to 1 ratio and the propeller will turn the same direction as the engine and will be marked RH by its manufacturer. Or, you can look at the propeller from behind the boat and see whether the prop turning clockwise would propel the boat forward.

There is a supplier of marine starters here in Florida called Arco that will have them in stock.

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: Hercules_ZA
Date Posted: October-27-2016 at 6:00pm

Forest

There is a place in Edenvale that specializes in starters.

They rebuilt a starter off an 89 Supra Comp for me, that other shops just shrugged their shoulders at.

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:06pm

Hey guys ive bought a new project but its missing the fiberglass guide the shaft goes through as shown in the picture . Can I just rip one out of one of my old hulls and fiberglass it back in or what is the best way to do it
Thanks in advance

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:11pm
Original would have been brass and glassed down. Angle needs to match the strut- so don't just pull any old log from a different model without measuring the angle.

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:13pm
Yes, you can salvage a log from an old hull but only if the angle is the same. Getting the angle may be a challenge unless one of the members can help. If not, I'd set the engine in the hull and go off the trans coupling face and strut.

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/category/angled-shaft-logs-3" rel="nofollow - You can also go new.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:15pm
Forest B,

There is a company titled Buck Algonguin that makes brass Marine Hardware. They have been in business for over 50 years and they offer a online catalog. You are looking for a Brass Shaft Log. Goggle them and find a catalog and checkout their Shaft Logs. You will place it in the hull and glass it in like Tim just stated. They also offer struts and rudders and packing parts.

I hope this helps,

Donald

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:16pm
The one i want to use is out of an old ski nautique and the shaft is out of the same one , what do you suggest i do ?

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:17pm
Thank you so much will have a look !

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:25pm
How do I measure the angle shaft log i will need ?

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 12:40pm
Thank you all so much for the help ! tell me if this will work out , the brass log ,strut and shaft are all off the same boat do i just need to adjust the engine to suite it ?

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:12pm
Forest,
Per Algonquin's site there is a 13 or a 12 degree log for a 1" shaft. You do not want to change the shaft angle as the hull came from the factory. Are you saying the strut and log you want to salvage from another boat are from a 1st generation SN? One degree doesn't sound like much but it would change the way the hull performs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:14pm
Both are SN Hulls and correct I will salvage the log and strut from the old hull

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 1:18pm

Both are SN Hulls and correct I will salvage the log and strut from the old hull

Then you are good to go if both are 1st generations. When you go to set the log, I suggest making a mock up of were the engine trans coupling is centered and then run a mock up shaft aft though the strut so you get the log in the proper spot on the hull.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-19-2016 at 2:50pm
so if I mount the trans in the original mounting wholes it should be centered just so I have something to work from

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 3:39am
So turns out the shaft log I wanted to use is worn through , what angle shaft log to I need to buy for the first gen hull

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 6:47am

So turns out the shaft log I wanted to use is worn through , what angle shaft log to I need to buy for the first gen hull

Even though the salvage log is worn through, get the angle off it. Do make sure both the salvage hull and the hull you are working on are the same.
Someone may know the angle, and if you can't get the angle off the bad log, you can always go back to this:

Yes, you can salvage a log from an old hull but only if the angle is the same. Getting the angle may be a challenge unless one of the members can help. If not, I'd set the engine in the hull and go off the trans coupling face and strut.

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/category/angled-shaft-logs-3" rel="nofollow - You can also go new.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 10:07am

Even though the salvage log is worn through, get the angle off it. Do make sure both the salvage hull and the hull you are working on are the same.
Someone may know the angle, and if you can't get the angle off the bad log, you can always go back to this:

As best as I can remember, the shaft angle on 1st. gen SNs was 14 degrees. I can check later and confirm. I measured a strut that I have from those days, and it measured at 13.5 degrees. One or 2 degrees of variance won't kill the job. If you like, I can measure the distance from the inside of the transom to the face of the output flange on the transmission of the '61 SN at the factory. That might help you locate the engine position.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 10:10am
Please see my reply in the next post.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 11:45am
okay just to get things clear I am a little bit clueless the transom would be ?
And any measurements for the SN would highly appreciated thanks !
Such a great group will definitely organize some donations

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 11:56am
I believe struts used on the 60's Cudas and Mustangs were 14 degrees as well, so sounds like 1st Gen SN used standard Correct Craft hardware?

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 3:18pm
I never got deeply involved with early models other than the SN, but given the financial condition of the Company in the '60s, I would bet that they used as much shared hardware among the models as possible. Of course, when you're building a boat from scratch, you can always "adjust" things like a shaft log angle by adding a little bit of glass and cloth here or there!

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 5:02pm
I cannot find a 14 degree shaft log anywhere , what would you guys say is the best way to go from here

Date Posted: December-21-2016 at 9:18pm

I cannot find a 14 degree shaft log anywhere , what would you guys say is the best way to go from here

Get the 13 degree (link above to Buck Algonquin) and bed it to the hull 1 degree off. If you do go this route, remember to keep the shaft angle the same.

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewitems/offset-shaft-logs-2/bronze-thru-hull-style-shaft-logs-log-only-2" rel="nofollow - or, get a 14 degree offset log

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-22-2016 at 11:05am

okay just to get things clear I am a little bit clueless the transom would be ?
And any measurements for the SN would highly appreciated thanks !
Such a great group will definitely organize some donations

The transom is the rear of the hull, where the exhaust ports are.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: January-15-2017 at 5:52pm
Hey guys so build is coming on slowly but surely , I need to put the new strut in now and the holes do not match the old one so how would I get the strut perfectly straight

Date Posted: January-15-2017 at 8:47pm
How far off are the old holes from the holes in the strut? What I'm thinking is that if the holes overlap enough to get small bolts through, you might temporarily install the strut and determine the exact engine placement by putting in the shaft to find the correct engine position. With the shaft in place, drill through the hull using the strut as your guide.

If the holes are far enough off that you can't get small bolts through, locate the strut, centering it on the hull and using the old holes as a guide, drill small holes in the hull and patch the old ones in the customary way with fiberglass, drill small holes to temporarily hold the strut, and proceed as above.

Remember that the important dimension is the distance from the face of the output flange to the front of the strut.

There are other ways to solve this, but this might be the easiest path.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: January-15-2017 at 10:53pm
Forest,
Don't worry too much about the engine at this time since it's adjustable. Do as Art mentions with some small holes holding the strut in place temporarily. The key to proper strut alignment is getting the prop shaft to be centered in the log. You will need to have the cutlass bearings in the strut and the shaft. Shims (stainless washers) may be needed between the strut base and the hull. When the shaft is centered in the log, it should turn freely and not be binding from the strut being off angle. Have you watched the alignment video that's lined in the FAQ thread?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-15-2017 at 11:13pm
Forest,
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21279&title=shaft-strut-alignment-video" rel="nofollow - Here's a direct link to the aligment video.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-16-2017 at 8:38am
Problem is shaft log isn't in yet was hoping to get the shaft log in straight by using the strut , the wholes don't overlap at all , should I drill small holes in the strut to help me line it up or will interfere with the integrity of the strut

Print Page | Close Window