Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34553
Printed Date: June-16-2024 at 3:52am

Topic: Skiing Etiquette
Posted By: td_in_nc
Subject: Skiing Etiquette
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 8:38pm
I was at Kerr Lake in NC this weekend, which we expected it to be busy. It was windy so we tried to ski and wakeboard in protected cove which was pretty narrow (one boat at time - two could pass but it would ruin both peoples runs. As there are few houses on the lake, most are campers or day users. The cove was very busy and I was wondering what is the proper way to get in runs. We tried to wait until one boat got in a couple of runs then jump in. I was amazed at the number of tubers which come into the cove and try improve there skills on smooth water, including a great looking Ski Nautique which was out there most of the weekend and only once was pulling a person on two skis.

I know this was Labor Day which is always busier than normal, but I am curios as to how to handle this with other skiers trying to use the same area.

Replies:
Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 8:54pm
Tuesday thru Thursday. Try next Saturday or Sunday, Before breakfast and at supper time 6:00 pm.

Nautiques weren't made for holiday week-ends on public lakes.

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:11pm
I knew things were going downhill when the Overtons catalog started having more pages of tubes than skis. Labor day seems to be when everyone gives one last out to the lake. Unless you are around known skiers (and that doesn't just mean someone that owns a ski boat), then you mine as well sit on the dock and enjoy the day. Luckily, I live on a large lake, that has tons of "secret coves" that are away from the tubers. However, every so often a yahoo comes through, does a few circles, wonders why I don't wave, then realizes we aren't tubing and leaves.

The part that kills me, is they want waves but won't go out in the main water where all the waves are! I really dislike tubers and refuse to pull a tube.

Posted By: vernonfarmer
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:31pm
Very busy on Lauderdale Lakes in southeast Wisconsin on Sunday. But I commented to my wife that we hadn't seen one skier! Tubes, tubes and more tubes. What kind of skill must one hone to ride a tube? Where did all the skiers go?

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 9:43pm
Ski Season starts tomorrow !

On my lake, I've noticed a lot more recreational skiers this year and last.

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 10:55pm
The tubes were out in full force today. We only got a couple of runs in before everything was chopped up. No matter where we went there was either a tuber or a wake surfer.

Lake was a mess. Wound up just going to the sandbar and relaxing. Weather was perfect.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:00pm
I have tried to add my fair share of skiers to the world....every one of my kids friends that come to the lake must ski. We broke two wakeboard bindings and I never fixed them. They don't miss the wakeboard and love skiing. I taught five teens to slalom this summer. Two of them started on slalom. Nothing like the peer pressure of young girls and boys!

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:32pm
footed Saturday morning & took seascamper for a ride in the new to me boat. A couple of young girls came out in a center console boat with a tube but they waited till we were done! We rode over to thank them.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:58pm
In most cases it seems as though etiquette on the water had gone the way of etiquette at the boat launch......this weekend while coming tight on the line I had a dumb a$$ come by us within 20' of the skier. While she was tooling by in some big ole Centurian with ballast tanks full and not more than 50' from others docks oblivious to those around her and the effect of her wake on the docks and boats she was going by.

Just goes to show common sense is not a prerequisite for boat ownership or operation.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-01-2014 at 11:58pm
Overcast and cloudy Saturday and Monday with lots of wind. Sunday was perfect except for the wake boat pulling tubers 1st thing out at 830am

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: OldSchoolBlue84
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:03am
Holiday weekend, boat stays on the lift and I get those over due house chores out of the way Going out tomorrow evening where there should only be 2-3 boats on the water

-------------
Kostas
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6700&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1984 Ski Nautique 2001

Posted By: boardersdad
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:04am
We had carb trouble with the SN so stayed on the pontoon while the kids played with a small speedboat. The lake was pretty busy at times, mostly tubers, one wakeboarder practicing inverts, and a single slalomer--big guy who did a nice deepwater start. I gave him a standing ovation. Skiing is just not as popular as when I was a kid.

Posted By: Faceplant
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:05am
Live on a small lake where we can only make a wake from 11:00 till 7:30 . So 10:59 = in water - 11:00 = girlfriend starts pulling me wakeboarding . About 11:20 or so switch up and do do a quick slalom run . By about 12:00 I jump on my Superjet and become part of the problem by jumping the tubers wake . Mentioned to my girlfriend that there were a couple of younger skiers out today slaloming which is kind of unusual . By about 7:00 , might do another run or two when it slows down again . Next month is when I love it best . Just a few boats here and there - very relaxing !!

Posted By: scottb
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

footed Saturday morning & took seascamper for a ride in the new to me boat. A couple of young girls came out in a center console boat with a tube but they waited till we were done! We rode over to thank them.

I'm sure you went over just to thank them. Nothing like a closer look.

Posted By: DMH
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:35pm
The weekend was nice. A bit of weather. Good to be on the boat.

Not much skiing.

Here's a video shot from my 82 2001 over labor day weekend staring down wakes of various tubing and surfing boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KId4iI7NgQ0%20" rel="nofollow - Labor Day 2014

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:38pm
On Kerr I would say if someone else was in the cove first go find another one.   We pretty much go on first come first serve around my parts. We set up camp on the best water we can find and keep running there until we are done, if someone else shows up and tries to run my line I don’t give them a very wide berth, that is rare though. Likewise If someone doing anything other than tubing is there first we go somewhere else, and wake up earlier the next day. Of course first come first serve doesn’t apply to fishermen if they are parked in the only calm spot of the lake. If it’s calm over at least half the shore I give them plenty of room if they are already set up, but if its blowing north or south and we only have one reasonable spot to ski that is where we ski. If you spend more than a couple minutes between sets then any claim to a line is pretty much forfeit.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

On Kerr I would say if someone else was in the cove first go find another one.   We pretty much go on first come first serve around my parts. We set up camp on the best water we can find and keep running there until we are done, if someone else shows up and tries to run my line I don’t give them a very wide berth, that is rare though. Likewise If someone doing anything other than tubing is there first we go somewhere else, and wake up earlier the next day. Of course first come first serve doesn’t apply to fishermen if they are parked in the only calm spot of the lake. If it’s calm over at least half the shore I give them plenty of room if they are already set up, but if its blowing north or south and we only have one reasonable spot to ski that is where we ski. If you spend more than a couple minutes between sets then any claim to a line is pretty much forfeit.

This is what I was trying to do.

I was amazed at the number of people anchored in the middle of the coves, not on an edge. Also, we were joking about fishermen setting up a slalom course for us with their string of floats. Usually a couple of runs on the boat and they leave, but they are usually there well in advance of us and realize once things start up they are done. Spoke to a friend who fishes and he feels skiers are a PITA, kind of the way I about tubers.

Posted By: Hansel
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 1:53pm
Life Jeff (Faceplant) my "home" lake in Michigan has no wake restrictions for much of the day; before 11 AM and after 7:30 PM. I mostly dislike this rule, but since there isn't anything I can do about it I just live with it and have a nearly identical skiing schedule.

The thing that really burns me up are the tubers doing donuts in the only clean water on the lake when it is windy. Back in June my skiing buddies and I were *this* close to actually waving a boat down and asking them (nicely of course) to move to the larger part of the lake where they wouldn't be messing up smooth water that we, and maybe other folks, wanted to use. As far as fishermen go I don't give them quarter beyond what I must legally during the hours where we are able to ski. I figure they've already got the mornings and evenings to themselves so I am going to use every available inch of smooth water when I can.

Oddly, I've been able to get more barefoot runs in recently with other boats around than I have slalom runs. I think this is mostly because I can find small stretches of smooth water along the shore to zip through and I am satisfied with that. I am also getting better at dealing with waves/wakes and it kinda makes it fun. I cannot say the same for slalom because I usually want to make multiples passes on the swerve stick and invariably some idiot will mess it up the good water that is important for predictability in my turns.

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

This is what I was trying to do.

I was amazed at the number of people anchored in the middle of the coves, not on an edge. Also, we were joking about fishermen setting up a slalom course for us with their string of floats. Usually a couple of runs on the boat and they leave, but they are usually there well in advance of us and realize once things start up they are done. Spoke to a friend who fishes and he feels skiers are a PITA, kind of the way I about tubers.

I was/am a hard core fisherman. I park my flats boat next to my Nautique. In the past year or two I've gotten more serious about slalom bc the lake I live across from sucks for fishing and I hate to have a lake at my door step not being used so the ski and CC has been getting more use lately, plus I need to work the beer off from fishing. As a fisherman I never understood other fisherman bitching about skiers. Tubers.... Diff story. But when other boats go by it stirs up the oxygen and adds oxygen to the water which is the basis of life. Bait comes to this fresh oxygen, creating action etc. the wake pushes the bait and fry to the shore creating a concentration of bait in an area. So as a fisherman I enjoy the skiers, in fact I'll seek that same glass water knowing a skier might be there and it makes it easier to sight fish and gives me more scenary As a skier I give fisherman a safe reasonable distance. They either appreciate the O2 like I do or leave. I know I can't ski as long as they can fish so I'm just looking for :30. If it pisses them off and leave oh well bud, sorry you're a turd.

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 3:01pm
Yeah I just enjoy hitting the water and don't have high hopes for Labor Day Weekend!

Lake law should read as follows:
Barfooters get first crack, then slalom skiers, then tricks/combos and wakeskates, then wakeboards then tubes and surfers..

Any deviation and we pop your tube!

While I like the first come first serve rule... if I am pulling a mediocre wakeboarder or less and notice a decent skier looking for good water, I will migrate out of the favorite coves etc. and give them right of way.

Date Posted: September-03-2014 at 1:07am
Hansel - what is your home lake in Michigan if you don't mind me asking ? Just common courtesy , ski or wakeboard before the rush - jet ski when tubers are out and then retreat to the shore when the skiers come out so that they can have the flat waters to themselves .

Date Posted: September-03-2014 at 10:03am
Jeff, 99.9% of the time I am on Hutchins Lake on the west side of the state in Allegan County, about 3 hours west of you. As I kid I also spent a decent amount of time on Big Star Lake near Baldwin and IIRC they had similar speed restrictions and I have seen it on other lakes in Allegan Co. as well. Is this some kind of Michigan thing?

Yes, common courtesy for sure. I have to say that there are many more skiers, especially kids, on the lake today than there were ten or even five years ago so we've got that going for us. I suspect the most offensive tubers are mostly short-term renters, and in some way I can't really blame them for "ruining" the water so long as they do it safely (which isn't always the case).

Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:11am
Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes . Not sure where the acreage size cut offs are . I don't blame anyone for having fun ( skiing , boarding , tubing , jet skiing , fishing etc ) as long as safe . This isn't a dress rehearsal - have FUN . LOL .

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by scottb scottb wrote:

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

I'm sure you went over just to thank them. Nothing like a closer look.

just being friendly!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 12:30am
Your just a friendly kinda guy aren't you Jbear!

-------------

Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes .

Jeff, that makes sense, but I wouldn't call either of those lakes small. Hutchins is about 380 acres and Big Star is over 900 acres in size.

This sign at Big Star seems to indicate that it is some kind of "special" rule, though apparently also a common one in our part of the world.

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Hansel Hansel wrote:

Hansel . I heard that the wake restrictions only apply to the smaller acreage lakes .

Jeff, that makes sense, but I wouldn't call either of those lakes small. Hutchins is about 380 acres and Big Star is over 900 acres in size.

This sign at Big Star seems to indicate that it is some kind of "special" rule, though apparently also a common one in our part of the world.

Absent definition of high speed one could argue ( but who am I to argue?) that your bare feet would not fall under a contrivance.....certainly would be a conversation opportunity with someone in a uniform or robe.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 11:38am
Skiing etiquette is 2 ski boats sharing the same water. Most of this discussion is boating etiquette. Good luck finding this during a holiday weekend on any body of water near civilization.

-------------

Date Posted: September-04-2014 at 1:15pm
True, "high speed" is relative... I mean, boats are pretty slow compared to cars at freeway speed, right?

Date Posted: September-06-2014 at 12:07am
Oops - guess that I was wrong on the acreage to no wake law comparison . My lake is only 68 acres . The other one with wake time restrictions is 53 . Just assumed it was because of smaller sizes .

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: September-06-2014 at 10:24am
Just ask....
We were at Keywadin last week at sunset butter and it was glassed over nicey nice. Two runs in and along comes Mr. Tube. I drove up to him and said "the conditions are epic right now". "Would you mind tubing on the North end while we stay down South?" He says sure and we all lived happily ever after.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: September-06-2014 at 12:41pm
Gail did the same thing on Lanier a couple months ago when IAughtNaught came to hang with the Lanier crew. He was getting ready for a barefoot run when in came a Sea Ray getting ready to mess up the best water on the lake... gail, waved her arms asking the guy to stop and he did..He stopped, watched Adam then trolled over to where we were rafted up.... We thanked him for doing that and for doing so I offered a him a pull behind a real ski boat which he jumped at the chance.... He ended up hanging with us and the Deen boys got him footin for the first time by days end. Never hurts to ask someone to have some courteousy for the sake of good water.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: rosconole
Date Posted: September-07-2014 at 12:48am
a slingshot or pellet gun is an effective tool for jetskiers and idiots

-------------
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee

Date Posted: September-07-2014 at 10:45am
I like Tim and John's style. On a lake I frequent I would try this in the early am or evening but holiday weekends it's just not feasible. as soon as 1 tuber would agree to leave, 3 more super airs or cobalts with tubes would take their place!

On the river friday, water was beautiful until I zip up by bf suit... all the sudden three jet skiers emerge from the depths of hell trying to show us their 180 skills.   

Posted By: mtguy
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:13am
Had to reply even though the thread is old...
Here in North Idaho we have similar issues, although we are on a big lake, (Priest Lake) with plenty of ski bays. However, does anything piss you off more as a slalom skier who loves calm water, than some yahoo coming in with bow high (tuber, beginner wake boarder or whatever) creating a huge wake while you are hitting your line? Want to throttle them... However, we take turns with other ski boats.. We take our line, then while our next skier is prepping the other boat goes, then we go and they prep... Rarely more than two or three of us. Sorry, but I hate wave runners and the like...They come from out of nowhere into our calm bays thinking they are hot Sh$t...
We call it "training for September" until after Labor Day and try not to get too upset. Luckily I ski with my wife and another gal, and they talk me down...
We are in September now and lovin' it... 4 skiers, 9 long runs and no other boats this morning!
As we like to say, "we put the 'FU' in FUN!

-------------
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 3:16am
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

However, does anything piss you off more as a slalom skier who loves calm water, than some yahoo coming in with bow high (tuber, beginner wake boarder or whatever) creating a huge wake

So you're saying that it's the beginner wakeboarders that prefer the huge wake? Some amazing pro tricks are pulled off http://youtu.be/NuEMS-IA204" rel="nofollow - massive double-ups . Maybe you're saying experienced wakeboarders would respect a ski boat already in a cove, which is what I would do when driving.

I gotta say, some of the posts in this thread sound almost whiny. It's public water and other boaters are constantly screwing it up for us and everyone else. When we pull a slalom skier, they want glass conditions. When we pull a wakeboarder, they want glass conditions. We very seldom pull a tube, but I suspect they would prefer glass conditions, too, and get their jumps off the wake. Only the wakesurfers don't seem to care about conditions, because they live in a world of their own wake's making, so they can cruise the middle of the lake back and forth, throwing a massive wake out toward everyone else. I don't think the solution is to say the others shouldn't be there. I've dealt with some tremendous wakes from heavies going down the Mississippi River, so maybe we should shut down river commerce... We just choose to smile and go look for good conditions somewhere else. The ultimate solution is to buy your own lake, I suppose, which means buying all the land around it and buying the politicians to remove any public ramps. That sounds most likely in Illinois...

All in good fun...

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 11:02am
Yes, it's public water, and people can do as they please within the confines of the law... But that's not the point.

If it sounds "whiny" then I suspect there still may be a fundamental misunderstanding of the original gripe that barefooters and slalom skiers have. The problem with "everyone sharing the water" is that everyone's effects they have on each other's disciplines is not equal. Barefooters are most impacted by rough water- the least amount of wind chop or other boat wakes will make it impossible for that discipline to be performed at all- it's not just a "preference" for calm water, but a requirement to participate. Slalom is next rung down, especially if skiing a course, as calm water is required in that area to perform at a high level... A single rogue wake down the course won't necessarily knock someone off their ski (though it might), but it will interrupt timing and the run- a cut can't be re-timed to avoid the wake because the buoy is coming no matter what. Wakeboarding at a high level certainly requires calm water but a rogue wake here and there can be ridden through and a run paused- there is no fixed course or timing requirement in the sport unless you're practicing a canned competition run (again, VERY high level). Same thing for trick.

At the same time, you'll notice that the wake put out by the barefooters an slalom skiers is small, and their runs are relatively short in duration compared to the larger wakes and longer runs coming from the wakeboarders. Again, the impact each discipline has on the others is not equal.

Surfing doesn't require calm water last I checked, and tubing and Jetskiing are neither sports nor do they require skill, so they have no place sharing calm water as far as I'm concerned.

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:13pm
Tim nailed it. The fact is few will ever take their skiing as seriously as we do and I chalk much of the annoying behavior as just pure ignorance. At the end of the day, unless the offender is being completely egregious, I am happy that somebody is having a good time on the lake. I've done my fair share of time on a tube, PWCs, etc. so I too was once part of the problem. I just hope they see the light like I did someday, haha!

Being September the lake is definitely becoming far more quiet. Sunday morning I had the lake completely to myself, other than a few parked fisherman, and was able to get my longest barefoot run ever in, only being limited by fatigue. Yesterday we had the lake all to ourselves. Best slalom opportunity I've had in weeks. Also got my brother up on his own barefeet for the first time ever.

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I gotta say, some of the posts in this thread sound almost whiny.

It's true... this is where we come to wine!

Some of us are just frustrated with the times... moster wakes are the fad these days and everyone has to equip them selves with the best... damn marketing! On our lake, G boats and wakesetters are a dime a dozen and less than 1% are actually being used for their engineered purpose. In fact most of the novice boarders I see behind them have a hard time crossing the wake and wouldn't dare try to jump it. And yes, they will start at 8am and are only interested in tubes, boards and surfers. They punish the shore lines and water conditions. And I ask for what? At least when they are pulling their tubes they can use the ski mirror. Nothing like watching a 23' Cobalt headed right for you with the driver turned around watching his riders!!!!!!!

The Seadoos just seem to need to be by ski boats... And I just find it crazy that most people would never let a friend or child borrow their boat... but a 60mph rocket... no problem, have a few beers and have at it!

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Gail did the same thing on Lanier a couple months ago when IAughtNaught came to hang with the Lanier crew. He was getting ready for a barefoot run when in came a Sea Ray getting ready to mess up the best water on the lake... gail, waved her arms asking the guy to stop and he did..He stopped, watched Adam then trolled over to where we were rafted up.... We thanked him for doing that and for doing so I offered a him a pull behind a real ski boat which he jumped at the chance.... He ended up hanging with us and the Deen boys got him footin for the first time by days end. Never hurts to ask someone to have some courteousy for the sake of good water.

Nice Tim, Maybe he will turn into a future inboard owner!

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:22pm
That is a great technique, Tim...If you can't beat them, have them join you!
We have some young college boys as neighbors that like to ski the same place we do, but drive a crappy line and mess the water up something feirce. They are big kids so that's what we've done...invited them to ski behind a real ski boat rather than the under-powered Blue water... They now know the proper line to drive.
In many ways, I'm just happy to see kids that want to ski!
On a lake that is 26 miles long and a couple wide, you'd think that the big wake people would have the courtesy to stay out in the middle, but they want to be seen I guess.
My mantra: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance"
Thank God it's September!

-------------
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:38pm
quote from mtguy - My mantra: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance"

That is why I asked the question. I am new to boating (3 years now) and I want learn how to do it right, as well as teach my boys the proper way. I have been the "ignorant" one before, but would like to learn what is the right thing to do.

There have been some great suggestions in the post which is appreciated. I to forget that the lake is not my private oasis, but I do try to treat people with common courtesy. It ticked me off when I am getting 12 year old up on ski for the first time and someone does a victory lap with a tuber around my boat just after she got up for the first time after trying all weekend. But does not mean I have to do the same to the other users. Common sense and courtesy go a long way.

I really like the idea of inviting the offenders to join us.

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 2:37pm
I applaud you for caring!

I also think it is good etiquette to put boat in neutral when skier, boarder, footer, even tuber is down and then troll back to skier in gear (unless skier doesn't signal they are ok). The only reason I feel it is ok to speed back to them is to protect them from oncoming danger.

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

In many ways, I'm just happy to see kids that want to ski!

This is pretty much how I feel. Anyone holding a tow rope basically gets the same respect. Now just learn to drive so we can all share the water.

So much damn tubing, it literally makes me sick. Many of them used to ski that seem to have thrown the towel in too.

Surfing, done in the middle, doesn't seem to throw that huge roller all the way across as your own wakes kind of combat the oncoming stuff, IF the water is big enough.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:38pm
Think its a problem with the equipment, every time I pull a tube thru the slalom course there is always missing buoys on the next pass

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:47pm
I understand and agree with the hierarchy of impact. And I agree with most of the comments in this thread, but not all. For instance, the comment that first come first serve doesn't apply to fisherman. If a boat is fishing the only smooth water, we'll wait him out or idle over and ask if he minds if we share the area with him. Most people are decent once they understand--the malice vs. ignorance quote is spot on. I've taught dozens of kids to ski (not 50, probably 25 to 30). That was my time and my gas money contributing to the sport. And we idle back to the down skier unless they need a guard. So I get it. I think 90% of the tube-pullers are selfish because they have no clue what's going on. At the same time, someone paid for that boat and is paying for the fuel, so they are a prime candidate to move up to skiing or wakeboarding. We carry an old Connelly Clutch beginner wakeboard with universal bindings for this very situation (terrible board but great for a novice). My son has wakeboarded with complete strangers, and in the end it improves the lake for everyone. So while I don't like tubers, I try to view them as potential riders. The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:58pm

So while I don't like tubers, I try to view them as potential riders. The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

You couldn't be more correct about the likelihood of No Wake Rules expansion with fewer users (at least in WI). I think next year I am going to go on the offensive with approaching tubers and asking them if they would like to learn to ski - that is a great idea.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:12pm

The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

I shudder at the thought...

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:37pm
I don't care about fisherman in the least on our lake. They are all guys who don't own property and show up for fishing tournaments and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp. I have disconnected and moved trailers before during events like this.

About the only fishermen I show any regard for are our two neighbors and my brother. Other than that they are intruders I could care less about taking up most of my morning ski line.

About the only other boat out as early as I ski is a nice red/white 01 SN that foots and slaloms and runs proper lines.

I have given up on any thing post 9 am and just putt around enjoying the scenery.

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:45pm
Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable. There are plenty would-be great ski lakes around, that probably used to be, but after enough collisions or close calls probably got shut down. Or they are just too shallow. Or neither but PWCs, fisherman and skiers will still make wakes without the tubes.

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable.

Kev - very interesting theory. I wonder if we could get some public funding to do a study. This might be the way to fund not just one but two ski lakes. Would build one that we would ski and use normally, the second one we would test different "No wake hours" then measure weed growth. MAN this is a great idea, I am going to start writing up a proposal and see if I can figure out how to get some grant money. Ski Lake here we go!!!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:53pm
Now we've got something. Hansel, help us out!

-------------

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 6:55pm

Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable. There are plenty would-be great ski lakes around, that probably used to be, but after enough collisions or close calls probably got shut down. Or they are just too shallow. Or neither but PWCs, fisherman and skiers will still make wakes without the tubes.

I ski in a private lake pretty often. nothing but clean hard bottom where we start and drop in the shallow end!

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I don't care about fisherman in the least on our lake. They are all guys who don't own property and show up for fishing tournaments and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp. I have disconnected and moved trailers before during events like this.

About the only fishermen I show any regard for are our two neighbors and my brother. Other than that they are intruders I could care less about taking up most of my morning .

Run them over!!

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

They are all guys who don't own property and show up and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp.

This statement applies to 65-70% of the boaters on my home lake. As Hollywood stated earlier, It's a boating etiquette problem, not a skiing etiquette problem. Actually, it's more of a " The average person has turned into a self entitled,ignorant moron" problem.

It's amazing how many people I see towing someone who will not only wreck the water for everyone else, but themselves as well. And they either don't get it or don't seem to care. I have had mixed results trying to educate people. A few have been very receptive and one flat out told me to go "*************** myself".

I have had perfectly good lines and water ruined by Jetskiers, Water skiers, Wake boarders, Pontoon boats, tubers, Donzis, fishermen, The Game Warden, and even a rogue Kayak or Canoe paddling right into your path. I have not run into any early AM surfers yet.

I just get up early, get my runs in and when the meatballs get out there after 9-9:30 I get on the Jetski and jump some waves! There is zero good water after 9-9:30 on weekends anyway.I feel for you guys that have restrictions that keep you from getting out there before all of the fools. Everyone likes flat water, but no one really "deserves" that water more than the next guy. If you feel that way, you should be on a "private" lake.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: September-09-2014 at 11:59pm
Having restrictions isn't really that bad because most people are inherently late . Our no wake ends at 11:00 A.M. By 11:30 I have already skied and got a wakeboard run in all while watching the boat ramp wanna bees trying to get their boat in the water . By noon , I'm done and they're just getting started . I'm usually the only boat on the lake . The one problem that I do have is that with my lake being pretty small - I curse as my own rebounding wake . YES ,you read that correct . I get irritated with my own boats wake . Can't win it seems . LOL .

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:10am

Having restrictions isn't really that bad because most people are inherently late . Our no wake ends at 11:00 A.M. By 11:30 I have already skied and got a wakeboard run in all while watching the boat ramp wanna bees trying to get their boat in the water . By noon , I'm done and they're just getting started . I'm usually the only boat on the lake .

You are very lucky, our no wake ends at 10, there are always no less than 5 boats all lined up ready to go at 945, when I wanted to foot, I would go at 955, or when the first boat started, often as early as 947. By 1015 the 160 acre Lake is a wreck with at least 3 tube boat and even a couple boats just making hot laps, yee ha! I pray for rain when we are at the cottage...

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:22am
Steve, if you cant beat them, join them. Since the fishermen and kayaks get their own time slot maybe you should approach the rule makers and lobby for the 10:00 to 1100 hour for smooth water sports only, bare footing and skiing. Its really only FAIR if they are handed out special treatment.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:56am
Just back from river.. it was glass but the damn rowers were out LOL. You wouldn't think this would be a problem but they are all over the damn river with boats pointed every which way. Obviously these are novice clubs.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 10:24am
Nobody really surfs a ton in our neck of the woods but you are starting to see people doing it behind boats that really aren't fit for it (ski boats).

There is one family that surfs all day long in a (very good looking) Centurion Enzo.

They run the proper lines and look to be having a blast and don't make it out until much after 10am. So other than the big waves they really bother nobody.

It always makes me giggle when we pass fishermen at barefoot speeds and they get mad. They are too ignorant to realize the effects a wake of a ski boat at foot speed are probably less than if I passed them at a hot idle let alone anything between 10-25 mph.

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:12am
You know I sympathize with all the gripes and I've experienced everyone of them as well as all the wallies on the water that seem to be trying to kill me each weekend but in the long run I've stopped fighting it. I avoid it at all costs and when I'm on the water too late to catch the good water I just deal with it and remember how lucky I am to be able to enjoy one of my passions most anytime I want. If I get the good water it was a bonus.

Don't think it doesn't piss me off when "my" water gets screwed up but everyone has the right to be there just as I do. I've tried to change the world one moron at a time but that typically doesn't go that well so I take the high road and walk away. I've let people completely ruin my day on the water and acted like an ass in front of friends and company and I'm done with it. Only time I break that rule is if someone endangers my skier otherwise I go the other way, hard to do at times but if I didn't my head would explode from the ignorance some people are capable of.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:13am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

It's amazing how many people I see towing someone who will not only wreck the water for everyone else, but themselves as well.

Chicken or the egg? "It's too rough to ski" so lets go make it even rougher for those trying...

-------------

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:26pm
   I'm talking about in the morning HW. Usually a few of us can pick a spot to drive a dogleg and we can get three/ four boats riding/skiing and everyone is content. Then some tool will come thru and start towing someone around the lake in a circle and screw up everyone elses line, and making a mess of the water.

Tubers etc are just going to ruin the water anyway. But I'm talking skiers/boarders that just can't figure it out. I'm no one special, as a matter of fact I consider myself a beginner wake boarder(skill wise) even after 10 years. But, I'm getting old and smooth water is just so much more enjoyable. If I have to hang out behind the boat bouncing off others wakes for 10 minutes I'd rather just pass and try again later.

I recently reconnected with an old high school friend who just bought a place on our lake. He picked up a brand new Tige R20 a few weeks ago. He asked if I wanted to take a run and I obliged. We were the only boat out there around 8:00 am. He drove around the outside of the lake in circles towing me and after two loops the lake was so rough I tossed the handle. I got in the boat and showed him how to drive a straight line and keep the water flat. He is a very smart, successful individual, but just looked at me and said "huh, never actually realized what I was doing". And he has had a boat(albeit a bow rider) for over 10 years. His kids will thank me later lol.

Course skiers are never a problem on our lake. They picked a great spot where they dropped the course in, so that helps. Those guys are also long off the water by 8am. I have only seen one or two barefooters on the lake in the last few years.

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:57pm
We used to have a course on a public lake. More than once we would be sitting at one end of the course getting ready for another pass......and a PWC would come shooting down the cove like a slalom skier right thru the course. All you can do is shake your head, ignorance is bliss!

Not to mention the fishermen that used to cut the balls loose. One time a friend of mine caught the guy, chased him down and asked why. He said they were in his way, and my buddy asked "can I at least have my bouys back". He said sure.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:11pm
Nothing new to add here, its all been said, except my 2 cents on my own situation.

First, agree with Hollywood, I believe it was. Big lake, holiday weekend, no rules no etiquette. That one's a given.

I am on a small lake, 250 acres, hard to believe you can make 160 acres work. A big chunk of our 250 acres: all broad coves, shoreline and entire skinnier west end of lake is a no wake zone. What's left is minimal but adequate. Almost all tubers on the lake. Mostly, but not always, they are out weekend afternoons, fine, lake is theirs. Ocassionally a renegade tuber comes out early weekend morning or evening. Like everyone says, they are just as entitled so fair is fair.
Our lake is too small to go somewhere else, so if I am out and they come out, I go in. I dont expect any etiquette from them. A few years ago, there were about three of us serious skiers. If one was out the other would wait till we are done. When they finish, number 3 went out. Worked great. There is a new guy as of last year. Nice redone 1980 Ski Supreme. Two kids, 11 and 8, older one wake boards, younger one kneeboards. When they go out, they are out forever, lap after lap after lap, 15 - 20 mph. Tears up the lake. He will come out when we are already out. When the time is right I will explain our old little rule of etiquette. I will explain that when we are out, we are only out for a couple runs. Whether its footin or skiing, one, we get tired fast and two, its a small lake, we mess it up ourselves. So the request is, if we're out, if you could just wait and watch a few minutes, that would be great.

Along the lines of other thoughts expressed above, I was surprised to see more skiers this year. Just new people learning which I think is great. Historically, there have been none.

One amusing story. We did a four man run on the 4th of July, to kind of supplement the decorated pontoon boat parade. YOu may have seen the vid of that and the disk/chair run, both entialed holding flags. My wife said she saw a day or two later(I was away at the time) another boat trying to do a four man pull. She sid they fussed and fiddled for an hour just messing with skis and ropes and the driver, the leader of the group apparently, in and out of the water a dozen times trying to get it together. They never succeeded and gave up. Not sure their I/O would have been up for it anyway.

HA, not as easy as it looks, is it Bucko?

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 3:19pm
Steve and HW, as far as I can tell there is relatively little published research on the effects of boating and lake biology. What little there is focuses on prop strikes, invasive species transport, and to a lesser extent wave action/stirring up the water & lake bottom. I will ask some of my lake friends next time I see them about your idea, it really isn't half bad though it would probably have to be expanded in scope a bit. The real question is do you really want to know the answer (e.g. what if you found out that boats were really bad for lakes...).

I almost forgot another recent gripe of mine! A couple weeks ago I was footing and since I still don't have a BF suit I use a kneeboard from longline to get up. After crossing most of the lake we returned to where I had started and for the first time ever the thing was missing. I had noticed a couple other fishing style boats with what looked like teenagers riding around in that area, so I got back in the boat as fast as I could and had my brother chase down the one I thought had likely taken it. We reached him just before he got to his dock and asked him if he had our board. I give him credit for giving it back, but I am 95% sure that if he had made it to shore I never would have seen that thing again.

In all the dozens, if not hundreds, of times over the last 15 years that I or somebody else have dropped skis, etc. (carefully on the edge I might add) on the lake that was the first time I've ever seen anybody try to make off with it. Boy was I glad to get that thing back!

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 4:46pm
I guess I'll out my own self here.... Lots of "rules" that have come up that I hadn't really considered before.   I didn't grow up around boats, but took every opportunity offered to jump in behind one, so now that I am an owner, and going out with my own family to ski and wakeboard, I realize that there is a ton of stuff that I need to learn, on the ramp and in the water.   I like the approach that some of you have taken to get kids/learners out behind your boats, and to educate the others on what is the proper/expected behavior. Not only does this approach keep the sport alive, but accomplishes the intended goal of a better boating experience for all involved.   I am sure that not all people are willing to learn, or hear that they messed up somehow, but I think it's worth the shot to try kindly to educate those who do want to learn.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 5:57pm
A bit off the topic...One of my favorite things to teach new skiers is about what to do in the boat. Driver and riders.

When my kids were little and started skiing, my goal was to be able get in the driver seat and pull numerous kids and never have to get out of the seat! With a bimini top, and a couple of waters I can pull kids all day, and have a great time. I will on occasion shorten a line or get up to teach something, but most of my time I am just driving and watching. They can get there own ski, handle, etc.

We do a lot of pull outs when a skier is tired or needs a rope shorter. Boat turns a little left, skier pulls hard to right and holds the handle, boat slows and turns towards skier. We ski the same on the lake as we do the course. Actually a bit easier with a MC (b/c it backs starboard) but not enough to buy one!

We use hand signals and we know what to expect of each other. It takes time for kids to learn, but it is so much more efficient, safe and pleasant than the typical cluster *** I see. My kids are 18,16,and 10. They act safely on the boat b/c that is the only way they know. I think people would have a lot more fun on the water, if they had learned some basics about skiing/driving. Maybe someone could write a book/video and it could be included with every boat purchase!

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 6:44pm
I am amazed that some states, including mine -NC, do not require a safety course to drive a boat. But even more amazing is that as a new boat owner you would not take a boaters safety course even if your state does not require it. In the one I took it did explain some basic boating rules in terms who has right of way.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 6:58pm
The course is required in Wisconsin, and we have the option of the state DNR class or the federal USCG class. I was grandfathered in, but back when my daughter was about 11 years old, I attended the USCG class with her. What a great class! We boat some federal waters (Mississippi River, Lake Michigan), so the federal class made more sense for us. It covered everything the state class does, plus a lot of federal regs. I think everyone should take a boating safety class. Funny, though, I must've napped through the part where they said the flat water belongs to the slalomers.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 7:05pm

The course is required in Wisconsin, and we have the option of the state DNR class or the federal USCG class. I was grandfathered in

Yea you and everyone else over 24 years old.

-------------

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 7:19pm

Yea you and everyone else over 24 years old.

I would've preferred it was required of everyone. But I also want to see ongoing (automobile) driver's tests, something like every 5 or 10 years until you're 60, then every 4 years until 72, then every two years, and every year after 80. Also every year for kids until they are about 24 or so. That would save a lot of lives. The cost? Too bad, it's a privilege, not a right.

Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:28pm
Drivers licenses are not given to ensure we have safe law abiding drivers. They are for generating revenue. I'd hate to see more of this especially in the boating world.

I also have no idea how more tubers and ignorant boaters can help waterskiing! A fisherman is not going to bitch about water skiers that are not there.

Our lake has a law of no PWC on weekends and holidays between 11am and 4pm because it was down right dangerous. There were to many of them... people got hurt. Not because there weren't enough people buzzing docks and boats at 60mph whipping 180s infront of oncoming boats.

And no... the flat water isn't just for the slalom skiers.. it is also fir barefooters.

Posted By: rosconole
Date Posted: September-10-2014 at 11:51pm
SOUNDS LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS NEED TO PUT YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON AND FIND ANOTHER LAKE.

-------------
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 12:44am
75 Tique: wow, a 250 acre lake??

The lake I grew up on (Keuka Lake NY) is 12,000 acres. Our current lake (Lake Oconee,GA) is 19,000 acres. In 40 years of boating and skiing I can't recall any real issues worth mentioning on either lake. But, of course, I don't own either one, and it is a free country.

I guess I'm just lucky to have spent most of my life on lakes with little or no traffic or competitive activity angst.

Yikes. Such hostility. Repeat after me...Goosfraba.....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 10:06am
Our lake is 71,000 acres and over 1,200 miles of shoreline.....sometimes I have to ride over ten minutes to find flat water!

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by td_in_nc td_in_nc wrote:

I am amazed that some states, including mine -NC, do not require a safety course to drive a boat. But even more amazing is that as a new boat owner you would not take a boaters safety course even if your state does not require it. In the one I took it did explain some basic boating rules in terms who has right of way.

WA requires it, but I didn't feel it was effective in the least... I have taken the "safety course", but already knew that lifejackets were a requirement, and that carbon monoxide will kill you.   What I wanted to know was more the what's a good line, how do I get a skier out of the water effectively as a driver, hand signals etc.   Our course was much more of an open water navigation type course that showed which side of the buoy to stay on, and that you shouldn't drink and boat. I feel that I can boat safely enough, but I really do think that boating with others that are more experienced will teach me more than the online testing.   

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

What I wanted to know was more the what's a good line, how do I get a skier out of the water effectively as a driver, hand signals etc.    

Might want to look into signing up for one of these then:

http://www.usawaterski.org/trained-boat-driver-course/" rel="nofollow - Trained Boat Driver Course

or

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/officials/nssa/NSSADriversProgramDescription.pdf" rel="nofollow - NSSA Tested Driver

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 4:50pm
Good etiquette is more related to being courteous vs being safe. You can have one without the other.

Kris makes good point... I'm sure if you ask the 16 yr old driving beside you texting on their phone if that is safe she would say hell no and keep on texting. So no... that little card her daddy bought doesn't make her a good or safe driver.

Kris also makes good point that learning from an advanced skier/driver is always the best way and the links Steve posted are great.

Ernest, I like your style... when everyone in the boat is one the same page EVERYONE wins...

Kris,
As far as "line" goes for me... I'd find a nice area say for slalom runs where I can get 6 turns in maybe a few sets of 6 turns etc and have driver make turns at end and get back inside wake on the return pass and follow the prop trail. Runs will be straight, predictable for all parties... driver, skier, observer, other boats etc.

Simple hand signals everyone agrees or knows, done, faster, slower, skier ok hand in air after a fall are all I use. My 4 yr old knows them so it is supper easy.

So some thing are common sense, some are best picked up from others.   

There is a law keep 100" off dock... why does this even need to be written. Why do people still pull their kids on tubes 20' away from other docks and boats?

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 4:59pm
Check your math. 20' is farther away than 100".

-------------

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 5:45pm
yeah... I guess I got a little worked up there too!

Date Posted: September-11-2014 at 5:47pm
Thanks Skutch,   I'll definitely look into the driving course for both my wife and I.   A day on the water is fun, but with no practical experience, I know that there are areas of learning that I still need.   USAWS seems like a great place to get an education, I am glad that they hook you up with a practical test with a qualified driver.

AAM - thanks for the "line" info I'll be seeking out some training before I get steeped in bad driving habits.   yes, 100' makes sense, tubes/skiers/wakeboarders and docks don't mix well

Date Posted: September-12-2014 at 12:15am
Here in good ol Ideeho it is 200' form docks and shorelines...100' from boats if going more than 15 mph (50' if less than 15mph), so definitely a good idea to check local boating laws.
Guess we're fortunate as our favorite line is about 50 turns, then a 90 degree turn down end of bay and another 20 or so turns, before my back and arms blow up! Can't always get it due to wind or knuckleheads, but nice when we do.
Hand signals are a great idea to coordinate with your boat. When driver wants to turn or there's something that needs attention of skier, we hold arm straight in air. My wife and I ski alone a lot (not necessarily legal here) so besides mirror we have voice signals...
One last point made above somewhere, is what is with the power turns when a skier drops off? Shut throttle down and slowly putt back to skier and you'll preserve your water much longer. We all know our boats can turn on a dime...
Damn, supposed to be 25 degrees tonight...time to throw on the shorty wet suit tomorrow!

-------------
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: September-14-2014 at 12:46pm
I'm down at Andy's lake now got here Wednesday night rained all day Thursday. Friday the sun comes out around noon we splash the boat head out for a cruise.
Find a nice cove shielded from the light wind, maybe saw 10 boats out on the way. Get set to put the 3 year old on the trainer in comes a MC pulling 2 tubes comes all the way to the end does the hard 90* turn and zig zags all the way back out!!!!
WTF the rest of the lake was empty, some fricken a$$holes just need shot!!!

PS; I think Andy hit the quote key instead of the apostrophe for feet the rule at DCL is,

Vessels may not be operated at a speed in excess of (3 knots) (minimum wake) within 100 ft. of the shoreline anywhere on the lake, except that a person may tow a skier from a dock or shore and then immediately exit the restricted area.

But that doesn't get followed buy the tourons very often

Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I'm down at Andy's lake now got here Wednesday night rained all day Thursday. Friday the sun comes out around noon we splash the boat head out for a cruise.

Paul, you had it baccards! Boat in the rain, sick on dock and drink during the sun when at DCL.

Those guys can really bring out the worst in us! Reading over my post I sure do sound like a complainer but that lake REALLY got out of control when they completed 68 to DC. The people there are of a different breed they feel they are better than everyone and feel the guy with the most expensive boat pulling the most tubes gets right of way always.

By the way... the Ohio River was flat as a sheet of glass all day yesterday!   

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 10:46am
I ran across this post on a JetSki forum & got a big kick out of it, so I though you guys would too.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:00am
Lol

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:04am
I can only image what one would find about us "A holes with ski boats" on the fishing forums.

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:08am
HILARIOUS!   Probably a mutual dislike of tubers too...

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I ran across this post on a JetSki forum

Hanging out on the Jetski forums these days Chris ?

That's where it starts....first the forums.....then a project Jon boat, then the 89 goes up for sale!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 12:05pm
That's pretty rich coming from the jetski forum. It's usually these schmucks who are right on your a$$ trying to jump your wake. Thanks God liquid popo is pretty relentless on the jetskiers on the lake we frequent.

-------------

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I ran across this post on a JetSki forum

Hanging out on the Jetski forums these days Chris ?

That's where it starts....first the forums.....then a project Jon boat, then the 89 goes up for sale!

Greenhulk is PWC's version of CCF - lots of handy information. It is like a parallel universe with similar characters, for sure. Don't worry, Team Red is a CCF exclusive!

The SN is getting used less & less, as i have figured out that wakeboarding is the cause of my summer backaches.    My wife still likes to board.   My son has dibs on it, if he wants it, down the road - so no plans to list it as of now.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 3:06pm
Are you going to be at Green Lake this year Chris?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 8:18pm
Not sure yet, wife is just startintg to plan my summer

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: January-25-2015 at 9:56pm

Greenhulk is PWC's version of CCF - lots of handy information.

Greenhulk is an awesome site for the bigger "couch" jetskis. Hit up x-h20 for anything standup, blaster, or X2. Both great sites and very helpful when we used to have our skis.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window