Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33298
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 11:58am

Topic: 1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know
Posted By: wwchevy
Subject: 1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:05am
I bought a 69 SN back in the fall knowing it needed a lot of work. Why I bought it, I don't know, but I gave a guy some money and the boat followed my truck home. This is going to be my second stringer job, so it wasn't like I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I've been collecting parts over the winter and now I am fired up and ready to get started.

Pic from the Craigslist ad

Trailer was sandblasted and painted

Seats & Engine Cover were freshly recovered

Engine runs great, compression is good, trans shifts and doesn't have a dirty neutral

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Replies:
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:13am
Pulled off all of the trim, disconnected the engine and pulled it last night

Engine is out, finally have room to work

It is supposed to be nice out today, so I am going to pull off the through hull fittings and cut the floor out. Stringers are toast, I know this because lag bolts just spun when I tightened them and I can sink a screwdriver about 4 inches into the main stringers.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:18am
Wes - what a great project, the gel coat (red) appears to be in great shape, unless it has been painted. Could you do me (and maybe a lot of folks on the site) a favor, could you construct some sort of template for the stringers. At some point in the future, I am probably going to have to do this to my Dad's boat. Anyway, it will be fun to watch the progress!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:21am
Nice project
Keep us up on the progress

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:31am
I still have the stringers out of my '85
Thought I'd hang on to them in case I wanted to put them back in to make it original again for Pete

jpg[/IMG][/URL]=http://s256.photobucket.com/user/gun-driver/media/85%20boat%20rebuild/IMG_0582.jpg.html][/URL]

Posted By: ny_nautique
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:40am
I agree, that is a nice looking project. Did you do the trailer sandblasting or is that something the PO did?

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:56am
WOW! Nice looking old SN! Definitely worth the work!!!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

I agree, that is a nice looking project. Did you do the trailer sandblasting or the PO did?

Thanks, Previous owner did the trailer, the interior and paid someone to get the engine running again (hadn't been started since 1998).

Can anyone identify if this a #2 or a #3 trailer or know what the length a #3 trailer is? This trailer seems kind of short for this boat. I know the boat can go farther on to the trailer, but I am starting to suspect it is a #2 trailer. When I first got the boat I walked to the back of the boat and the tongue went up in the air. Luckily with my cat like reflexs, I moved forward and it went back down.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Wes - what a great project, the gel coat (red) appears to be in great shape, unless it has been painted. Could you do me (and maybe a lot of folks on the site) a favor, could you construct some sort of template for the stringers. At some point in the future, I am probably going to have to do this to my Dad's boat. Anyway, it will be fun to watch the progress!

Steve,
Unfortunately it is paint. If I have the time and energy I am probably going to strip it, but I have some concerns as to why it was painted in the first place.
As far as a template, when I did my Mustang, like most, I pulled the stringers out one at a time and used the old stringer as a template. it was easier to matched the bottom contour. If they come out clean I will try to make a template for you.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

Can anyone identify if this a #2 or a #3 trailer or know what the length a #3 trailer is? This trailer seems kind of short for this boat. I know the boat can go farther on to the trailer, but I am starting to suspect it is a #2 trailer. When I first got the boat I walked to the back of the boat and the tongue went up in the air. Luckily with my cat like reflexs, I moved forward and it went back down.

It looks to be sitting in the same place as our Gen1 Ski Nautique sits on it's factory trailer, tough to see but the end of the trailer lands almost between the words in Correct Craft.

Although I have never experience tongue going up in the air... Its tough to tell but it looks like your boat may not be all the way forward. A couple inches could make a BIG difference.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:32pm
That is a #3 for sure, not a #2. The boat does look to be sitting too far aft, which was confirmed when you almost tipped it! Get it moved forward to the point where it has proper tongue weight (10% = 200-300lbs) and it'll be fine. The standard (non-low boy) CC trailers stopped well short of the transom until 1984.

You'd be amazed at how many people paint boats just because they dont know any better. If there are no cracks showing through the paint, that means they either had a major repair that was fixed properly (every crack ground out and filled) or it was just painted to "look better", not knowing the gel could be restored. I say remove it and take your chances!

Bummer on breaking the steering wheel, those arent easy to find.

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'll second that, hope it's easier then finding the one that went on our 63, actually the center cap was as difficult to find as the wheel - who knew it was off a Packard!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 4:34pm

The steering wheel was heartbreaking. I have no one to blame but myself, fat guys shouldn't grab on to old brittle steering wheels to pull themselves up. If I could kick my own A$$, I would.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 4:39pm

Nice Boat, Is that the original stripe? I see in the 68 reference brocure that the stripe ends at the spray rail.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:08pm
Completely un-restored and original. It has been in my family since it was purchased new from a factory rep (it was a demonstrator). The boot-stripe is "kind of original", I remember helping Dad re-paint it in the mid 80's, but it was definitely in that location and went all the way to the bow. Even though the Gen 1 Ski went from 1961 til 1970, there were some pretty big changes from the early gen 1 boats til the later ones, note especially the removal of the center deck circa 1966.

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:38pm

I particularly like the green mottled bottom accents.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I particularly like the green mottled bottom accents.

They don't call it GREEN Lake for nothing!!!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:43pm
Had a lot of fun today, cut the floor out, removed 26 garbage bags of soaking wet foam. Boat should be about 800 lbs lighter in my estimation.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:46pm
Wondering if anyone is familiar with how this steering wheel center comes off. I have done enough damage and don't want to pry on it and snap it off- not that I would do that. Should have taken it off when I bought the boat.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:47pm
Wes,
Yup, another soggy foam boat by CC!! Keep up the good (and PITA) work.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 10:59am
The small (round) center cap pries right out with a small screwdriver. It's held in by a bunch of small metal tabs. Go easy, but it's not real fragile. It should come very easy.

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 2:21pm
I'll have to check when the marina opens back up if I still have one of those wheels, same ones came in alumnicrafts in the early 60's. Is that a Chrysler 273?

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 2:50pm

I have a steering wheel like that    Minus the trim

Here's one on E-Bay-- but mine would be 1/2 the price of that one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Boat-Steering-Wheel-and-Steering-System-Linkage-Cable-12-feet-Long-/281305978921?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item417f249829&vxp=mtr#ht_38wt_1105" rel="nofollow - E-Bay Wheel

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Is that a Chrysler 273?

Jim,
What boat are you asking about?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:13pm

The small (round) center cap pries right out with a small screwdriver. It's held in by a bunch of small metal tabs. Go easy, but it's not real fragile. It should come very easy.

Thanks Tim,
Wheel & helm came right out. Once you say it, it seems obvious   

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Is that a Chrysler 273?

No it is a 318. I did have a 273 in my mustang. With the copper exhaust pipes it sounded sweet. It actually scared my neice

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-13-2014 at 5:20pm

Engine runs great, compression is good, trans shifts and doesn't have a dirty neutral

Probably this one, Pete.

The 318 was pretty common in the SN at that point, 273 was more common in the Mustang.

Obviously it's been painted, manifolds replaced, etc.

Posted By: turningpoint84
Date Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:51am
Yeah, which is crazy that the manifolds have been replaced and they already look pretty bad, that engine looks like its had a rough life.

I love those 318/273's i've grown really really fond of my 273.

If you need any parts for this 318 let me know, i'm tearing apart a 318 currently.

That boat is amazing looking, too bad it's painted, you have a lot of orginal parts though....too bad on the steering wheel, i'm worried about ***************ing mine up also...has anyone looked into a good way to reinforce the wheel? I've thought about trying to figure out a way to fill the cavities on the backside with an epoxy to strengthen it up a bit.

-------------
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: April-17-2014 at 12:24pm
[QUOTE=turningpoint84] Yeah, which is crazy that the manifolds have been replaced and they already look pretty bad, that engine looks like its had a rough life.

I love those 318/273's i've grown really really fond of my 273.

If you need any parts for this 318 let me know, i'm tearing apart a 318 currently.QUOTE]

Peter,
I too will be tearing apart a 318 soon. Engine ran great, good compression (125- 140 psi), idled good, no smoke coming out of the exhaust- but when I drained the "oil" the other day it was water, followed by milky sludge. I haven't torn into it yet, but I assume a cracked block. Before winter, I drained the block and disconnected all of the hoses. i guess that when I start my investigation, I will find out for sure.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-17-2014 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Marty,
I received the steering wheel, trailer decals and the extra decals that you put in the package. Everything looks great, I really appreciate doing business with you. Everything in the package was something that I really needed.
Thanks again.
Wes

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: MartyMabe
Date Posted: April-18-2014 at 11:26pm

Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Marty,
I received the steering wheel, trailer decals and the extra decals that you put in the package. Everything looks great, I really appreciate doing business with you. Everything in the package was something that I really needed.
Thanks again.
Wes

Pics- or it didn't happen

-------------
66 Skylark
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5041" rel="nofollow - 93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 7:41pm
Cut the port side stringers out today.

They did not come out cleanly. The main was pretty rotten and there was a lot of wood loss, especially where the trans mounts.

I don't really have a good pattern but I made sure to tape any pieces that broke off back in place.

Since I am not putting cross brace notches back in, I can run a string along the top of the stringer to get a "good" pattern.

The only concern is where the engine mounts to the stringer. They have a recess where the mounts sit and that recess stops at the pylon support. Perhaps I can take great care when removing the fiberglass off the starboard stringer that is still in the boat and use that one to get the shape of the engine mount area of the stringer.

That area is as bad as the trans mount area

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 7:48pm
Next up is removing all of the wood in the floor and transom, cutting any excess fiberglass left standing an get to grinding.

Spray rail (only have one left on the boat) are screwed & bolted from both sides. At least I have a good pattern for those

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: ny_nautique
Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 8:47pm
Wow Wes, those could be the worst I've seen on this site. Any of those boats that were left uncovered in a field for years probably look like this.

You're making good progress though!

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 8:56pm

Spray rail (only have one left on the boat) are screwed & bolted from both sides. At least I have a good pattern for those

Wes,
One trick on the spray rails is to make them by laminating 3/8" thick wood together. You use the actual hull as a form. Wax paper the hull and then using the bolt holes through the hull, epoxy the lamination's together. Remove after the epoxy has cured and do the shaping. A belt sander works great. With this method, you will get an exact fit to the hull. CPES the wood and 5200 them to the hull, fill the bolt holes with filled epoxy, CPES again, mask the hull and spar varnish. (at least 6 coats)

The other method I use is to tape carbon paper to the hull and rub the new rail up against it. That will tell you were the high spots are. Then if the radius is small enough I'll use the belt sander otherwise a 3" dia. drum sander.

Using the old rails as a pattern will never give you the fit to the hull needed for a clean fit especially with a bright finish.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-19-2014 at 7:03pm
Progress has been slow, but I am back at it with a vengeance. Removed all of the wood from the floor and ground the fiberglass in the bottom of the hull.

Spent about 4 hours cutting, grinding, hacking, sweating and swearing to get the lift eye wood off of the transom. Definitely should have left that alone. No rot, rock solid- but I guess you don't know until you waste an afternoon killing yourself on something totally unnecessary.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-19-2014 at 7:11pm
I couldn't find Douglas Fir around here, so I bought a 2" x 14" x17' plank of reclaimed Doug Fir from a 100 year old building in Detroit. Not sure if anyone has used reclaimed Doug Fir before, bit I figured it was better than pine.

Even with the partial split down the middle I was able to get 2 oversized blanks out of the one piece. Planed them down and they looked pretty sweet.

I live in a 120 year old farm house that I restored, so I am familiar with old wood. It obviously changes properties over the years, becomes a little harder and you have to look through a stack to find the boards with the least amount of imperfections. These were roof joists in an old welding shop / service station looking building. You don't find grain like this at Home Depot.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-19-2014 at 7:20pm
Used my rotted old stringers for a pattern. Had to fudge in the areas that were missing. Wasn't too much of a problem since I left the other set of stringers in the boat. Coated them with a few coats of Home Brew- especially in any nail holes. Using 2"X6" pine for the secondary's, I don't really care for 1"X6" secondary's, 2X gives the back removable panels a little more area to sit on.

Put the old stringers to good use- kindling (even though they are too wet and rotten to burn)

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-19-2014 at 7:23pm
Pete,
Thanks for the advice on the spray rails. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I like your plan. I have to do those and attach them before I put the floor on. I assume they should be bolted/ screwed from both directions(inside and outside). Mine had a metal trim piece over the screw heads that went in from the outside.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-24-2014 at 11:38am
Got the starboard stringers out and they were worse than the ports.

Could you do me (and maybe a lot of folks on the site) a favor, could you construct some sort of template for the stringers. At some point in the future, I am probably going to have to do this to my Dad's boat.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be making a pattern. The rot is so bad on both port and starboard stringers that I had to "recreate" areas of the stringers that are missing.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-24-2014 at 11:43am
Port stringers are bedded and once the starboard stringers were out, I spent 5 hours straight grinding the hull. I am getting too old for this.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-24-2014 at 11:51am

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 11:52am
Got the stringers bedded and filleted. I may have to plane the top of the secondary's in a few spots to make them even with the primary's.

The next step is to lay up the glass on the stringers. I'm going to do 2 layers each of 2", 4" & 8" tape on the Primary's, then 12" Biax up each side and one layer over the top. For the secondary's I was thinking of doing 1 layer each of 2", 4" & 8" with no biax (does that sound right or should I do 2 layers of each on the secondarys also?)

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 12:55pm
Looking good! Great job documenting and keeping us entertained. My folks live in a 120 yr old house and it's cool to see the wood grain of the lumber used back then. I doubt we'll ever see that again in todays lumber. Hmmmm might be a market in some of the lumber from these old houses/barns that they're tearing down. Especially the long boards.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: June-26-2014 at 12:54am
I'm still working on the boat but progress is slower than I wanted. Stringers are glassed in 2", 4" & 8" cloth tape- 2 layers of each and then Biax up each side and over the top of each Main Stringer. Put in the wood for the strainers, exhaust, rudder & lift rings. Coated those with home brew, covered with cloth, bedded with thickened epoxy and finally biax on top. I put in some stringer supports, but probably not enough. I will add more when I put the floor in to make sure I have supports where the floor joints are. Bulkheads are in and I have drain holes everywhere so water will drain out.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: June-26-2014 at 12:58am
Put two coats of Bilgekote on and probably will add a third coat. Had a hard time deciding on gray or white, but since the interior is white, I went with a color that will show every drop of oil.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: June-26-2014 at 1:03am
Started buffing and polishing the deck gel. It isn't in the best shape, but doesn't look too bad. I wet sanded and buffed it, but still need to polish it. I want to get the gel done before I put the dash and helm back in. It should look presentable. The hull is painted and I am going to leave it that way for the summer. If I want to use this boat this year I have to cut back somewhere.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: June-26-2014 at 1:08am
I am going on vacation Saturday for a week and won't be able to work on the boat, but when I get back I am going to attempt the spray rails. I need to get those done before I can put the floor in. I bought some white oak that I will cut into strips, laminate using the hull as a form and varnish, but truthfully I am a little nervous about tackling this part of the job. I'm no Pete Brainard, but then who is??

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: July-21-2014 at 11:58pm
Completed one of my biggest concerns that was holding up progress- the Spray Rails. I needed to get them done so that I could start putting down the floor, since they are attached below the floor. I bought a 1"x 4"x 11' piece of clear white oak. I ripped 1" wide by 11' pieces- same size as the rails that I took off the boat.

They were painted black and had a metal trim piece nailed on from the outside.

They were screwed to the hull from the inside and bolted from the outside

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:08am
After ripping the 1" wide strips, I shaped the taper on both ends to match the original. Rails got 6 coats of spar varnish with 0000 steel wool between coats.

I attached them all from the inside except the final screw at the bow, which I screwed in from the outside. I felt there was a lot of stress on the bow ends because I used one solid piece and bent it to the hull. The new doug fir I put in to support the bow eye made that area of the bow really solid, so I ran a 2" screw into that wood. I may or may not use a metal trim piece on the outside edge, haven't decided yet.

I am no wooden boat builder, but they turned out pretty good for my first attempt. Thankfully they are out of the way and I can continue on with this endless project.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:14am
Working on the floor now. I put in 2" PVC for the vents and 4" for the new steering cable and wiring. I am fabbing a battery box in between the PVC, not sure how that is going to turn out, but I don't like the battery under the drivers seat.

Started cutting up some plywood for the floor. Plan on CPES and cloth on both sides and attaching to the stringers with thickened epoxy. I am unsure about taping the floor to the hull. I have read some conflicting info on attaching the two, but I am leaning toward attaching.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: July-22-2014 at 2:44am
Wow. Your craftsmanship is amazing. Keep it up!

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: July-22-2014 at 8:08am
Looking Great!!

-------------
Js

Date Posted: July-26-2014 at 2:31pm
Have the floor pieces cut out and mocked up. I was having trouble with the placement of the removable access panel for the back, so I hauled out the interior and set it in the boat for help cutting things correctly. I'm looking for any input that I am about to make a big mistake, cause I am coating the floor, covering with cloth and epoxying it down next.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: July-26-2014 at 2:33pm
I am putting the battery in the floor between the PVC pipes. I made a frame, still need to cover with fiberglass and paint with bilge paint. The battery I chose barely fits but I am unsure where else to put it. If the battery idea doesn't work out maybe it can be a cooler??

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: July-26-2014 at 2:35pm
I would like for the observer seat to tilt on hinges. Any ideas on the hinges to use? Anyone have seats like that and have photos?
Thanks,
Wes

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 8:05am
When I bought the 69 Ski Nautique that I am working on there was a freeze plug popped out and laying in the bilge and when I removed the block drain plug from the other side of the block it was full of water. The owner said it had been winterized when it was put away in 1997. The 318 for this boat runs great, has great compression and doesn't overheat, but when I pulled it out of the boat and put it on the stand the oil pan was full of 8 quarts of milky sludge (I assume cracked block letting water into the oil, but won't know until I disassemble the engine). I'm getting to the point where I am going to deal with the engine- new block, rebuild, whatever it takes, so I was cruising Craislist looking for anything that I might need. Came across an ad for (2) 318 Marine engines in a boat that has been in storage for a couple of years. Talk to the guy and he was going to try to get them running, but one wouldn't turn over by hand and he hadn't checked the other one, but he is 70 years old and it is too much work so he just wants to get rid of them if I will pull them out. I am dumb and like really hard work with very little payoff so I said "I'll take them".

1966 Lyman was last cruising Lake Erie in 2002

Sawzall makes nice access holes

Free engines complete with velvet drives

Laid plywood sheets on the ground, borrowed my brothers trailer (He said he was "busy" that day)

Made boxes for them, lagged the engines to the boxes, screwed the boxes to the floor, strapped them down and drove home

I am hoping to get one good running engine out of the three that I have, but if not I will have a bunch of parts to sell.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 9:26am
Go chrysler GO! That's a great deal but lots of work on your part. Curious to see how that all turns out.

Posted By: 81skinautique
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 12:49pm
Wow, very nice job! I will have to do a stringer job on my 81 this winter. Looks like alot of work but seems well worth it!

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:28pm
I'll take one of those alternators if you end up with a spare!

All of the marine LM chryslers from that vintage had forged cranks... Make sure you save all your RH stuff! The 318 blocks themselves are a dime a dozen. If you really want to have fun and are rebuilding from the bottom up, build a 340 instead of a 318- just need a block (plus pistons and rods, which you'd be replacing anyways) and swap the other parts over.

Posted By: C-Bass
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 1:58pm
I'll get in line for an original Chrysler Ex. manifold(s) if they're in good shape.

Making good progress. As soon as boating season wraps up I'll be digging back into the 67.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 2:16pm
Consider sending the complete RH engine down to Indiana?? My cousin lives outside of Detroit.

-------------

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 8:48pm
Do keep in mind one of the engines will be a LH.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Go chrysler GO!

Hey Bill, Detroit is Chrysler Country and when I was driving up I-75 through the city at least 4 guys in dodge pickups pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up- one almost side swiped me doing it

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:13pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] I'll take one of those alternators if you end up with a spare![QUOTE]

I think I am going to sell the LH engine and keep the RH. I will list it in the for sale section. PM sent

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Consider sending the complete RH engine down to Indiana?? My cousin lives outside of Detroit.

Zach, I am planning on keeping the RH engine right now, until I know what I need for my engine or whatever path I take. The RH engine is stuck and wont turn over with a breaker bar. I will probably disassemble and see what is going on inside it. Oil looks clean and at the correct level.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Do keep in mind one of the engines will be a LH.

Thanks Pete, I actually knew one was RH and the other LH, I learned to decode the bellhousing tag here on this site- probably with your help!!

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-20-2014 at 11:51pm

The 318 blocks themselves are a dime a dozen. If you really want to have fun and are rebuilding from the bottom up, build a 340 instead of a 318- just need a block (plus pistons and rods, which you'd be replacing anyways) and swap the other parts over.

From what I hear from the 340 is about as elusive as the 409 Chevy I was looking for last winter.

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: August-21-2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

The 318 blocks themselves are a dime a dozen. If you really want to have fun and are rebuilding from the bottom up, build a 340 instead of a 318- just need a block (plus pistons and rods, which you'd be replacing anyways) and swap the other parts over.

From what I hear from the 340 is about as elusive as the 409 Chevy I was looking for last winter.

Not sure how hard the 409 is to find but there are 340 blocks to be had pretty regularly if you know where to look. Of course, they're not as plentiful or as cheap as those dime-a-dozen 350's. ;). Jut picked one up this spring.

Thanks Wes!

Date Posted: August-21-2014 at 1:06am

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Go chrysler GO!

Hey Bill, Detroit is Chrysler Country and when I was driving up I-75 through the city at least 4 guys in dodge pickups pulled up next to me and gave me the thumbs up- one almost side swiped me doing it

Ha! Good thing he didn't take out the RH motor!   

Date Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:10am
Pulled the Rh engine apart and there was surface rust in 2 cylinders, but one is pretty bad. There will always be a one intake valve open when you shut the engine off and it looks like there was water intrusion that trickled down from the carb through the intake and into the cylinder. I filled the cylinder bores with Acetone & transmission fluid and let em soak overnight. I was able to push 6 pistons out without a problem. No ridge built up that would prevent the rings from sliding by.

I am going to let the bad cylinders soak overnight again and scrub some of the bad rust off with 0000 steel wool. I couldn't turn the crank over with the crank snout tool, so I slowly levered it over with a pry bar into the flywheel teeth and did manage to move it, but not far enough to allow access to the conn rod bolts for the last two pistons. Looks like the block is good for a rebuild. The pry bar method is best left to people like me who don't care about their flywheel. I was thinking of using a long piece of flat bar stock and bolting it to the damper bolt holes in the flywheel to get better leverage and turn the engine that way. I have to move it to get access to the conn rod bolts to get the pistons out.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: CrazyCanuck
Date Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:49am
How different is the hull on that 69 compared to my 78? It looks very close so what is the purpose of the spray rail?

-------------
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g

Date Posted: August-25-2014 at 10:18am
I'm not sure about how close to the 1st gen hull design yours is. I assume that the spray rails are to keep the water spray from going back into the boat. I'm not a hull expert, but there are some on here who are. I found this chart searching hull generations.

The chart from this site has the complete SN hull history.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-26-2014 at 2:18pm
Hey chevy, i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one? it's the plate with the 4 bolts on the end...i could make one, but i'm lazy and busy and will resort to that if it's necessary.

Also did you buy this from a guy in hamilton OH, this look really similar to one i saw for sale here about a year ago.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6454&sort=&pagenum1" rel="nofollow - 1970 Mustang

Date Posted: August-26-2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Hey chevy, i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one? it's the plate with the 4 bolts on the end...i could make one, but i'm lazy and busy and will resort to that if it's necessary.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/exhaust-manifolds-risers/chrysler-exhaust/barr-cm-1-6672-b-manifold-end-plate-no-hole-chrysler-318-360.html" rel="nofollow - Exhaust manifold end plate

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6103" rel="nofollow - 99 Sport
85SN

Date Posted: August-27-2014 at 1:27pm

i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one?
Also did you buy this from a guy in hamilton OH, this look really similar to one i saw for sale here about a year ago.

Peter,
I don't have an extra plate, sorry. Looks like Craig found you a place to buy a new one though.
I bought these engines in Brownstown, MI- from a 70 year old Elvis impersonator. Real nice guy.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-28-2014 at 4:30pm

i need an exhaust manifold cap for my 273, any interest in parting away with one?

Peter,
I don't have an extra plate, sorry. Looks like Craig found you a place to buy a new one though.
I bought these engines in Brownstown, MI- from a 70 year old Elvis impersonator. Real nice guy.

Hey thx for letting me know, I'll eventually take the plung and buy the plate, but was hoping there might be someone out there with a broken manifold that has no use for the end plate.

I meant, where did you buy the boat?

-------------

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:28am
Worked on the trailer today. Previous owner sandblasted and painted it and put new wood on it, but the wood went all the way up to the bow stop. I trimmed the bunks back, carpeted them and I installed tail lights. Also put the decals on it (thanks Marty).

I always get a little nervous when the boat is sitting on blocks high enough to get the trailer out from under it.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:31am
Put the windshield on it today. 2 piece with "real" glass. New gasket for the deck to windshield joint, it made a huge difference in the look of the boat.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 12:36am
Working on the engine, tore apart and successfully removed the pistons- even the one that was stuck in the bore. No ridge built up on any of the cylinders and the pistons all slid out easily except one that had rust near the top of the bores. Took a ridge reamer and gently removed the rust. I'm going to hone the cylinders and measure them, but it looks like a low hour engine and may be a candidate for a re-ring job. I need to get this pain in the A$$ in the water before the snow flies. I'm getting close, but it is taking a lot longer that I would like.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 2:00am
Looking real good. I noticed in you first pictures that the windshield was plastic. Is the glass one from a 'Cuda?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Looking real good. I noticed in you first pictures that the windshield was plastic. Is the glass one from a 'Cuda?

I can't be sure, but I bought it from a guy on this forum names Terry Teague. He said it was from a 1st Gen Ski Nautique- I can't remember the exact year. I did get some of the corner brackets and deck clips from Cuda Chris. The first photo in this thread is a windshield that was sitting on the boat when I first looked at it and after I paid the guy he said it didn't go with the boat, it was for another boat he owned. I wasn't too happy with that miscommunication, but it worked out well in the end.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: August-31-2014 at 11:46am
You bet it will,the glass ones are easier to clean and I think look better

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:51am

I did get some of the corner brackets and deck clips from Cuda Chris.

Please post some more info on the corner "wing" brackets. My two brackets are busted and I'd love to know if someone has any of these available. I keep looking at ebay with no luck.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
85SN

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:15am
Craig I cannot tell you how hard those are to find. When I saw that comment that he found those and the clips I thought how lucky can you get! When I finally found a windshield for mu boat it was the older style with the "vent wings",same windshield just different ends. Took about a year to find and would not have happened with out Marty. He found someone with the newer style ends that needed the older style and made a swap. Keep looking and good luck,somewhere out there is a set in someone's garage.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:00pm
I did get lucky. I posted in the wanted to buy section of this forum and found a curved 2 piece windshield. Then I traded the broken pieces of my windshield that came with the boat for the 2 brackets and clips that I needed.
Here is the thread:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32149" rel="nofollow - 1969 Ski Nautique Windshield Wanted

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 12:48pm
Yep those are the ones. And mine look identical to your originals . That's awesome you were able to find a set. I'll keep my eyes open.

Mike (Wakeslayer) had a machine shop quote him a price to machine a set out of stainless I think, and it was very cost prohibitive as you can imagine.

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
85SN

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 5:15pm
I remember seeing this boat for sale on craigslist. I was half way thinking about making an offer but it clearly went to the right person. Nicely done Wes! She's looking amazing!

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 6:21pm
When I got my boat in the late 80's the glass was broken out but the frames,ends and clips were all there. I normally do not throw anything away but at the time I thought the chances of finding new glass was impossible so one day cleaning the garage out they went along with a cracked but repairable bucket seat. I could have put them somewhere they didn't take up much room. I will never throw anything away again !

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I remember seeing this boat for sale on craigslist. I was half way thinking about making an offer but it clearly went to the right person. Nicely done Wes! She's looking amazing!

Chris,
Thanks for the compliment, I remember when you posted it in the interesting Craigslist finds thread. I had already been looking at it and it was local to me, so I went out and took a look. I was going to part it out and cut it up to make a bar
I should have let you buy it. Save me some work.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When I got my boat in the late 80's the glass was broken out but the frames,ends and clips were all there. I normally do not throw anything away but at the time I thought the chances of finding new glass was impossible so one day cleaning the garage out they went along with a cracked but repairable bucket seat. I could have put them somewhere they didn't take up much room. I will never throw anything away again !

Gary, do you know what landfill it went to? I may start digging!   

-------------
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
85SN

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:51pm
Wes I think I speak for everyone saying I'm happy you chose the direction you did.

I can't wait to see it on the water!

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:14am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Gary, do you know what landfill it went to? I may start digging!   

I think you might find Jimmy Hoffa first

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-15-2014 at 9:55pm
I have been working on the engine for the last couple of weeks. The original engine in my boat ran perfect, good compression, it just liked to fill the oil pan up with water. I suspect a cracked block because when I disassembled the engine and removed the core plugs (freeze plugs) the customary piles of rust scale in the bottom of the coolant passages around the cylinder bores were oily. Water in the oil and oil in the water led me to believe that the water was not ingested through the exhaust or intake nor the result of a slipped gasket (no evidence to support that theory). I decided not to bother having my original block crack checked.

Horrible Photo

One of the two engines that I purchased from craigslist had no water in the oil and had been winterized properly and looked like a really low hour engine (as did my engine). I disassembled that engine and had that block cleaned, crack checked and the bores measured. I decided not to bore the engine and used everything from the original engine and the donor block. I made around $350.00 selling parts off the two engines that I removed from the SS Minnow and that money paid for the re-ring/ Gasket kit and the machine shop fees- plus I got a good block out of the deal. I cleaned everything up, put new Bearings, Rings and gaskets in the engine. Everything seem good so far.

I painted the engine Chrysler Green (looks blue to me). I love this color.

Now I have to paint the rest of the parts- Bellhousing, Transmission, Pulleys & brackets. I purchased the Carpeting and Exhaust Hose- so the plan is:
1.) Test fit the engine & trans and make sure the mounts all line up and the shaft is aligned.
2.) remove engine assembly and install the carpeting and side panels
3.) Install the exhaust hose
Install the engine and hook up exhaust, cooling hoses, electrical & fuel hose.
4.) Install interior and then....well, I don't want to get too excited yet.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-16-2014 at 12:04am
Looks awesome wes. I like the color too. I tried to do that chrysler color but mine ended up being much more blue than I wanted. Oh well...it performs in spite of the color mishap.

Date Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:58am
I finished assembling the engine & trans and test fit it into the boat. I didn't have a good template for cutting the floor for trans mounts and the exhaust hose, so I set the engine in temporarily and marked the floor to cut the requires clearances.

I also wanted to check engine mount/ Lag bolt hole placement in comparison to my measurements that I took when starting this project. There were 3/4" plywood shims under the front mounts, but they were crushed and rotten.

When I put the engine in there was almost 3 inches of shaft showing between the strut and prop. I moved the engine forward to end up with less than 2 inches. It turns out that I don't need the shims and have a pretty good initial coupler to trans alignment without even trying. I found the sweet spot for the shaft to rotate easily and adjusted the mounts without them being lag bolted in and this is what I came up with. I marked the lag bolt hole locations and think that I have found the right mix- even though I moved it forward of my initial measurements.

This puts the front of the engine close to the pylon so I am going to test fit the interior and the motor box before lag bolting everything into place. Mocking all of this up should help me prevent an "Oh Crap" moment down the road (tomorrow)

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:09pm
I took the engine back out and installed the carpet. 20 ounce Red marine carpet from Ebay. Cut it, glued it in- easier said than done.

Then I test fit the "Bad Acid trip from the 60's" side panels in. I don't like how they are angled and take up already tight floor space. They have some ragged edges on the bottom, so I am going to trim the bottoms a little and they should slide up tighter to the side walls- hopefully giving me more floor space between the motor box and the side walls.

All this test fitting is complete, so now I am on to permanently install the interior and then putting the exhaust hose in and finally the engine assembly. Probably test fire the engine and dial in the mechanicals before putting the seats and doghouse in.

-------------
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique

Date Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:39pm
Looking good!

I agree those side panels take up a TON of floor space, good plan to trim and fit them closer to the sides.

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: September-27-2014 at 1:38pm
Run, tune and leak prove the engine on block before putting it in the boat.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Date Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:35pm
I would put the engine back where it was and shorten the driveshaft appropriately rather than move it forward for any reason... Doing so may cause detrimental handling or high speed behavior. That tight fit between the engine an pylon will also cause you massive headaches.

Bummer that you didn't go back with the original vinyl floor covering.

Print Page | Close Window