Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29139
Printed Date: May-02-2024 at 2:33am

Topic: Banana George's Barefoot Nautique
Posted By: agouge888
Subject: Banana George's Barefoot Nautique
Date Posted: March-03-2013 at 3:12pm
Sifting through some older ads and found this ad for Banana George's Blairs old '83 Barefoot Nautique which was just a few hours away from me here in TN. Made contact with the owner and he said he had owned it for 25+ years and footed behind it forever. He said it was just sold to the new owner that was going to restore it. Just hoping whoever bought it might be a member on here and keep us posted on the progress. Pretty cool piece of history that will hopefully live to float another day.

heres the ad..

Blair's Barefootin Banana Boat (George Blair's First Boat) With boom and depth finder Canvas Cover and Bimini Top included 454 Engine - Needs engine work Excellent boat for barefoot waterskiing and wakeboarding Comes with trailer $2,200 OBO

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-03-2013 at 5:14pm
The current owner is not on CCF but from what I hear has good intentions with a restoration. Hope to see it myself eventually. BBBBII is on good hands and belongs to forum member Got Tiques.

-------------

Posted By: Spoffie1962
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:04am
Hollywood, I am on CCF, I just tend to stay somewhat low key. The boat itself is sound, although it has been on a steady decline since the PO bought it off of George in '86 as a teenager. The PO barefooted with George in the 80's, so when BBBB2 arived in '86, he was first in line to buy BBBB1. As you can see though, not much love lavished on it since then. It was used up until last September, when the BBC gave up the ghost in the middle of a barefooting run. I hope to have it on the water this summer, even if it's not 100% restored. Just to be able to dock it next to Todd's BBBB2 someday would be a thrill! Anyone out there with pictures of BBBB1 back in the day? I'd love to see what she used to look like.

Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:20am
Lurker no more.

-------------

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Lurker no more.

Let the fun begin. Looking forward to seeing that boat back on the water.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:18am
Doesn't look like the pylon is gold plated like the BBBB2. Spoffie, any interior shots you can post up?

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: agouge888
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:33am
Thanks so much for the update. Great to see it has found a great home. I remember seeing pics of Geoege on this exact boat back in the day. Anybody got some old pics of him footing on this boat?

Andy
agouge888
Originally posted by Spoffie1962 Spoffie1962 wrote:

Hollywood, I am on CCF, I just tend to stay somewhat low key. The boat itself is sound, although it has been on a steady decline since the PO bought it off of George in '86 as a teenager. The PO barefooted with George in the 80's, so when BBBB2 arived in '86, he was first in line to buy BBBB1. As you can see though, not much love lavished on it since then. It was used up until last September, when the BBC gave up the ghost in the middle of a barefooting run. I hope to have it on the water this summer, even if it's not 100% restored. Just to be able to dock it next to Todd's BBBB2 someday would be a thrill! Anyone out there with pictures of BBBB1 back in the day? I'd love to see what she used to look like.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:01am
Don't worry hes a motor head! It's in good hands.

-------------

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 8:06pm
Nice!! Keep us posted with photos !!

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 10:51pm
Where there any other BBBB built other then the 83' #1 & 86' #2?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:07pm
Trying to upload pictures, but like most things in the computer world it's fighting me every step of the way. Too large it says. I would call India but I have already confirmed that my modem is plugged in. Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me through it.

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Andy posted these a few months ago. He said it was Sanger. I also know he had a yellow ski pro or two. I looked for pics but couldn't find any. It had double booms that retracted into the hull just in front of and below the windshield.

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:26pm
By the way Quinner, I know there are a couple of later model Sangers and possibly a Malibu out there, but they have nowhere near the level of customization that the BFN's have. They're molded in yellow, but it appears that's about it. BBBB1, and especially BBBB2, have the highest level of custom touches of all the boats as far as I can see. I know he used to pull the Sanger with a mid-late 90's MK IIV Lincoln, painted screaming yellow of course. That is one man who has never been accused of flying under the radar.

Date Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:28pm
Tom, glad you got on here to share your story. You won't be allowed to lurk any more. If you have a relatively new version of windows, open up your pics with "Paint". Paint will allow you to reduce the size of your pics. Reduce them to about 600 pixels wide or less and they will fit fine, and should get them below the 500 kb size limit too. Another choice is to upload your pics to photobucket and then share them to this site.

-------------

Posted By: Got Tiques
Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:24am
Tom,
Just sent you a PM before I saw that you posted in the open forum. You are more than welcome, and will find lots of help here, even if you don't ask for it. Ha!!

Guys, Tom is in need of help and parts and info including a period correct trailer for the '83 BBB1, and another member is in line for the current Prestige. Keep your eyes (banana) peeled. Hollywood, that trailer was the subject of a confusing trailer search/request I made a few months ago. Maybe clearer now, maybe not.

Tom is getting some expert help in his restore, but we will share our opinions, asked or not. Glad you're out!!.

Todd

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4811" rel="nofollow - '78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:42am
I find restoring this boat much easier than uploading pictures. Maybe I need to hit the laptop with a bigger hammer. Anyway, the boat is currently in the care of someone whose last name is Meloon. He spent 30+ years at CC, personally designed the 2001 series hull along with his cousin, owned his own marina, worked for Chevrolet Engineering for a time, and actually remembers working on this boat on the assembly line. Yesterday he forgot more about boats than I'll ever know. Engine comes out next week, we'll assess the damage and go from there. The engine is painted yellow to match the hull, and I'm assuming that's original. Is BBBB2's engine yellow? There is so little info on the web about this boat, and even George's grandsons (they run his FB page) don't have anything. We have contacted CC about any records/pictures, but I'll have to wait till they get 'a round tuit'. I'll keep you all posted, but if anyone has any photos of this boat, you know what to do. Just hope you're better at posting pics than I am!!

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:50am
Todd, all advise is welcomed and appreciated! As we were once told, it takes a village.....

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:57am
Tom. My BBBII block, heads, oil pan, intake mani's and front parts are all silver, but the valve covers are yellow. Trany is black, along with the exhaust mani's, and motor mounts. Engine now sports a new DUI distributor and yellow plug wires. Orig distributor had no advance, but still pulled 8 footers (SLOW!!) in the 2012 CT Mini photo on double booms. I know it is better now.   The paint job actually added 3 MPH!!

Todd

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4811" rel="nofollow - '78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:17am
Todd, my entire engine is yellow, including the pulleys. Manifolds are typical black and trans is PCM silver. The color combo is not very attractive in my opinion, but I struggle with keeping it original vs doing what I like. We'll see. I know the engine recently got a new water pump, new raw water pump, electronic ignition distrubutor, engine wiring harness, complete 72C trans rebuild and a brand new 14x14 prop. Oh yeah, the two original barefoot booms are yellow!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Got Tiques Got Tiques wrote:

Orig distributor had no advance

Todd,
Are you sure the original didn't have an advance? Keep it mind that marine distributors use mechanical advance which is inside of the distributor. They don't use a vacuum advance which is external of the distributor like an automotive.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:15am

Pete,

Sorry I mislead you. No working advance!! It was a stock Prestolite on its last legs, with a missing spring and other spring seemed weak. Now in my spare parts bin, if I can find springs for the mech adv weights. PO used an advanced timing setting to get some top end, but then it cranked hard at startup with same setting.

I upgraded after not finding springs, discussing with TRB, and to keep the yellow motif.

Tom, My double booms are gold anodized color. Putting those two boats side-by-side with a bunch of footers would be fun!!

Todd

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Orig distributor had no advance

Todd,
Are you sure the original didn't have an advance? Keep it mind that marine distributors use mechanical advance which is inside of the distributor. They don't use a vacuum advance which is external of the distributor like an automotive.

Like UT said, that old dizzy was in sorry shape. We tried band-aiding it back together, but it was just plain worn out. From what I hear, the new DUI has it performing MUCH better.

I struggle with keeping it original vs doing what I like.

I cant say that I find the whole yellow and brown scheme overly attractive either... but I think the uniqueness and heritage of these 2 boats would make it a shame to do anything but an original restoration on them.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:29am

Putting those two boats side-by-side with a bunch of footers would be fun!!

Todd

Let's see Todd, you are in New York, Tom is in Georgia. Yup, I think Reid's place is just about exactly 1/2 the distance between and would be a perfect spot to get the two boats back together again. Have to get a picture and send it to BG. I am sure he'd be tickled.

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: March-06-2013 at 11:42am
Tom where abouts are you in GA. Glad you came out of hiding. Having two of BG's boats running side by side would definately be cool. +1 on your idea Larry, now we just gotta convince Tom and Todd into it!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:42am

Tim, I'm in for whatever you are planning. Reid would be a fantastic host, and I owe both of you a ride in another nostalgic one of a kind. Tom (BBBBI) is planning on a 2013 debut, and I just need to plan around the CT Mini!!

Thanks, Todd

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 12:57am
I'm temporarily in the Dawsonville area west of Lake Lanier, but if it's up and running by early summer, it will be brought to south east NH for a few months. That's about 2 1/2 hrs from you Todd, so the chances of getting these boats together this summer are pretty good!

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:34am
thread needs more pics!

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:41am
That's the pic I saw in one of M3Fans magazines years ago. I've been telling TRBenj about it since then. SeaWorld boat, that's the boat they notched the keel to use 14" props instead of 13", which, as we know "broke the mold". Anyway, maybe not THAT boat but they were the ones pushing the limits and inspired the modification IIRC. Andy, do you have the article? Coincidentally I had plans to visit Joel's home tonight but we had to cancel.

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:51am
I stole it off facebook, comments said it was a BFN and it had 425hp...then said "the next photo" showed all those guys step off bacerds...but nobody posted "the next photo".

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 2:35pm
Good news, M3Fan has confirmed he's got the magazines down here so we will be able to find it. I really don't recall if there was a second picture.

Anywho, THAT is the kind of footing I'm into, not dangling from a FlyHigh, errr, I mean boom.

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 3:01pm
I've got another BG in another BFN

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-07-2013 at 10:41pm

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but I think that was me sitting on the motor box, Ha!

UT

-------------

Posted By: Toothstud
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 1:06am
Since I was born after 1983... March 7, 1987 to be exact

Fill me in on the history of Blair and these banana boats

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 1:08am
Kids!

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 1:30am

The picture is a bit fuzzy, but I think that was me sitting on the motor box, Ha!
UT

I'm more interested in why Todd thinks he looks like a Doberman

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 3:50am
Originally posted by Toothstud Toothstud wrote:

Fill me in on the history of Blair and these banana boats

www.google.com

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 4:09am
Here's the
http://www.pxgx.com/banana/about.html" rel="nofollow - Whole Banana

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 5:25am

He's a movie star too

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 11:00am
he is still laughing at something Gruber said

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 11:34am
I knew he started Footin' in his 40's but didn't realize he started when he was 46. I'll be 46 in May so there's hope for me yet!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 11:50am
I wouldn't go that far Tim.

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 11:59am
It's never too late, Tim. Just gotta do it.

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 12:12pm
Oh the price you pay from hanging around a bunch of Correct Craft Boat, Ski, Wakeboard, Barefootin Fanatics for the last 8 years. Sooner or later they'll rub off on you!

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

UT

I'm more interested in why Todd thinks he looks like a Doberman

Apparently Gary, you have not met Todd, he resembles that remark, lol

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 1:21pm
I was also born in 87 and I know the BG story ;).

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I knew he started Footin' in his 40's but didn't realize he started when he was 46. I'll be 46 in May so there's hope for me yet!

I was thinking the same thing...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

It's never too late, Tim. Just gotta do it.

Larry, I looked at his web page and there is a picture of him doing a bomb-out. It made me think of your video again (I assume that is where the photo above come from?)

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 10:54pm
I'm takin' a trashin' here, and only somewhat undeserved!!

The above photo is a picture perfect Jouble Dumpout!! A show ski Team staple.

Gary, I really laughed OL when I went back to look at the motor box and the dog. It is a great lookin' dog, but I was referring to the guy with the pipes, and how it used to resemble the undersigned!!

Tim, I started to barefoot in 1963 (wow nobody to provide any advice!!) behind a 110 HP Volvo powered Hydrodyne I/O that would do 33 on a straight-away. So my Dad pulled me on a whip at Tyler Lake until we were at a straight-away, and then I ate it. 3 times night was his limit for me. You just know you are going to eat it, but when is the question. Ask Hollywood for more info on that. That boat was the reason we bought the '68 ivory over dark blue '68 Mustang that TRBenj has been photographed in at the dock. Tim, Just do it, but limit yourself to 3 crashes per night. Worked for me!!

Todd

-------------

Date Posted: March-08-2013 at 11:52pm

This is the other side of the boat. Beautiful isin't it? The PO removed the pesky 'Blair's Barefootin' Banana Boat' painted on stripe years ago with an acetone soaked rag because "it got scratched by the dock and didn't look good anymore". At least for now, I'm thinking of duplicating it in vinyl

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 12:17am
And here's the interior. With the exception of the lovely depth finder drilled into top of the dash and the replacement gauges, it's pretty much as it was in '83. Or at least I think it is. I'd love to find some pictures of it new. The vinyl is actually fairly intact, although it has faded terribly. PO says it had been "touched up" in spots throughout the years, but not sure exactly where.

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 12:42am

So here's the engine, in all of it's yellow glory.

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 12:52am

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 2:26am
Tom,

Lots of potential there!! George was definitely into adding whatever gizmos that he could find. Mine has a windshield wiper, air horn, CB radio and antenna, electronic speed and tach unit mounted on top of dash with stern mount paddle wheel drive, hot water shower, heater, twin bige pumps, fresh water flush kit, depth finder side rear view mirror, bimini like yours with rear curtain, stereo with 4 speakers, double BF boom clamp, judges jump seat, forward facing 3rd speedo, and the list goes on. Ummm, that was just from memory!! All of the running hardware was gold plated such as the ring and finger, lifting rings, morse control lever, gas filler and cap, bow eye, etc. A contact said that he saw GB take delivery with his yellow Cadillac that was similarly gold plate adorned.

That is a guy who styled consistently!!

I am available for any consultation on your restore.

Todd

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 3:18am
Todd, BG was (is) one of a kind. I have the windshield wiper, an in-dash compass, power and antenna leads under the dash (no radio though), and vent windows. I had not seen those windows on a CC before but I've been told they were an available option on most CC models back then. Believe me Todd, your phone # will be on speed dial shortly.

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 10:14am
Another exciting CC restoration thread will soon be under way! It's like being a kid in a candy store.

Thanks for posting the pictures Tom. She's a little worse for wear but sounds like she's in good hands. Great Stuff!

-------------

Date Posted: March-09-2013 at 11:14pm
BG got that grave jump down too!

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:07am
All,
I want to share an email I received from Banana George's wife. In a later email, she included a picture of George in the BBBB1. As soon as I can figure out how to convert PDF to JPEG, I'll post that too.   Tom

Dear friends,

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry it took so long to reply but your email was printed out and then unfortunately buried under a pile of papers.

We are living in our New York apartment now, having sold the Florida house about a year ago. George has not been well for several years and life is much easier here than in Florida. George has been diagnosed with Lewy Body Disease which is a relative of Parkinson's. He is doing okay but doesn't speak anymore except for things like "yes" and "no." We have caregivers around the clock and George enjoys watching films on TV, going out to see the passing show and having friends and family drop in.

I just haven't been able to pinpoint a photo of the Correct Craft Barefoot Nautique. I'm sure there is one here somewhere among all the clippings, etc., but it just hasn't shown itself. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Sounds as though you are both doing well and enjoying life. Sorry not to be able to help you more, but thanks for all your kind words and for writing.

All best,

JoAnne Blair

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 9:59am
That's good stuff.

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:10am
Gents
Another source of information on this boat would be John Gillette. John was the production manager at Correct Craft back in the day and was the one who "optioned" the boats out for BG.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:15am
Saw this two weeks ago while visiting the Water Ski Hall of Fame;

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:38am
This is the photo JoAnne Blair sent me

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 11:49am
Tom, Very cool that JoAnne is still responsive to fans, tho too bad that George is in such decline. He was such a motivation to "Never Give In" Great to have that picture. I was fearful she might not have much recollection of the difference between I and II, and send you II. But I see she got you the correct boat. Nice conversation piece for your wall or desk.

Greg, Have you had any more communications with John about White Lake. I am a little fearful that with the "winter that wouldn't end" the likely cool water might make someone less inclined to come out.

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:00pm
Oh that boat has that TOP that you guys love so much.

Keep it orginal.

Donald

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:28pm
That style "bimini" would be perfect for our 91 BFN - LOVE IT!

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:39pm
You know, The minute I saw the photo, I thought the same thing about the top. Funny thing is, I have not yet checked the top that's presently on it to see if it's a re-skin of the original frame,or just an Overton's catalog bimini. Now I'm dying to know! The boat is currently getting stringers in TN, so next time i'm there I'll have to check.

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:42pm
I guess you couldn't toss that top in the lake... But I sure wouldn't allow it any closer to the boat than the back of my closet, were it mine. Original or not, it's hideous.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:49pm
How can you say that. They are beautiful. My only regret since getting into Correct Crafts is giving ours away.

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I guess you couldn't toss that top in the lake... But I sure wouldn't allow it any closer to the boat than the back of my closet, were it mine. Original or not, it's hideous.

Awwww C'mon now Timmy... I kinda like it for it's uniqueness. Besides, I said the same thing about Orange CC's but now I'd actually own one so when Mars gets tired of his 72 Promo. I'll be glad to take it off his hands.

Tom that's awesome that you heard from Mrs. Blair. Great CC history is coming out of the woodwork around here lately so that's cool in itself. Sad to hear BG isn't doing so well these days.

-------------

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:08pm
You're not going to convince me on this one... They just ruin the lines of the boat with their round hump shape. Very unflattering. I feel the same way about the luggage raks they were putting on corvettes in the mid 70's. Yuck!

Keep it around if you like, for nastalgia sake, but they don't belong anywhere near these boats. They're about the only period correct/original thing I've come across that I just can't appreciate.

-------------

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:15pm
You'll come around. It took me about 30 years. Same goes for orange boats, I wasn't too crazy about them for a long time, especially with bright yellow interiors and huge black letters on the side, but they look pretty cool now.

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

How can you say that. They are beautiful. My only regret since getting into Correct Crafts is giving ours away.

Ok - tell me how they attach -   Looks like snaps on the windshield frame (which I am not a big fan of) but how does the aft section attach - Snaps too?

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:25pm
The top on the 60's boat is a little different than the BFN, but there are snaps on the windshield which snap into place. They don't need to be screwed into the windshield. The top opens up and has a strap that attaches to a hook screwed into the deck. Somewhere, there's a a great picture of Reid's 68 Mustang with the top up.

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:47pm
I really think it's a age thing I like the look of the tops too and would put one on in a second. But then Hollywood reminded me that now with my console and a top up it would be next to impossible to get into the seats.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 1:48pm
Is this the picture Bruce?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:05pm
Gary, that's the picture. Hollywood might have trouble climbing around in a little boat, but I bet you wouldn't.

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:31pm
Another

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 2:45pm
Great picture. Sad as it may be now that he's in his 90's, but he's had heck of a life!

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 3:01pm
He just turned 98 on 1-22

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:39pm
What a great thread! I actually like that bimini on the BBBBII, it has a good low, sleek look to it. The only part I don't like is the rear tail pieces. Those would look better if they were gone.

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 5:56pm
Go George Go! I remember standing in line to get his signature in the 80's at a pro ski event in Dallas. He was sitting at a desk signing photos. (I lost the photo along the way somewhere: ). Somebody in line in front of me asked George, "Are you going to ski for us today, George?" He looked up at the guy and asked, "Do you want me to?" We all cheered, "YES!" He smiled and said he would do his best. He put on a great show for us that day. What a great man and great ambassador for water skiing.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:05pm
It's not a bimini Bret,I think they are called Navy tops but I'm not sure.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Those would look better if they were gone.

Nope. They are part of the charm. Right, Bruce? (I know I've got at least one ally in this battle)

-------------

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:47pm
that yellow top is so bright it looks almost photoshopped

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 6:53pm

This is the photo JoAnne Blair sent me

I like this one with the exhaust steaming

And I like the top it would really give good shade with it low like that and its more speed friendly/aerodynamic than a bimini

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-29-2013 at 10:58pm
Love it or hate it, I think the top has a certain 'Century Corronado' feel to it.

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:04am
Well guys, help me out on this one. When I first opened the picture JoAnne sent to me, I was really, really hoping the interior wasn't brown. Oh well. The brown/yellow combination makes me think "Bruised Banana Boat". So now the 'keep it 100% original vs. do what I like' struggle rears it's ugly head once again. Anyone know of a nice brown vinyl that would look good?

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:18am
Tom,

Great thread and lots of nostalgia. The picture of Banana George at the helm is in my BBBB#2, and it looks much the same today. Nice contact with Mrs. Blair, and she is doing very well considering how old she could be!!

Tim, The convertible top shape on the '86 is the classic look of the 80's and was the style before biminis, computers and cell phones were really in vogue. One of the few styles that have endured for all those years is Hollywood's hair. But back then they had a different name, same look.

Tom, Did you see the period correct CC trailer in the Boat Parts for Sale section on this site. Look under #4-DV Trailer for sale. It's in Birmingham, Al. I posted a question to you on March 22. Mike Muir is selling it and was asking ~$700. Air 206 (Steve Karras) has an interest in your Prestige Tandem Axle. However, he has just rebuilt a trailer for his boat, so his interest may be declining. Anyway, take a look and contact Steve if you want to move up to a great looking #4-DV with a known buyer for you current trailer.

Really pleased you are getting the stringers done by an expert. This will be the foundation for any other restoration work. Let me know where in TN, and what the rebuild details are. Sounds great!!

Thanks, Todd

-------------

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:43am
what color would you like to make the interior?

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:49am
Todd,
I didn't see the #4 trailer for sale, I'll look as soon as I'm done typing this reply! Thanks! The stringers are being done by a fellow who put in 10 years at CC, then 20 yrs at Master Craft. He currently owns his own small boat manufacturing company, making hulls for the Towee fishing boat company. Having people do work for me is a strange concept to wrap my mind around, but in this case I have neither the room nor the time to do this job. And you're right, it's being done by an expert. Life has been extremely busy lately, so I really hope I can at least get the mechanicals done in time for summer.

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 12:57am
GlassSeeker,
Something in a lighter shade. I like the BBBB2 light yellow/ brown stripe motif, and white with a brown or yellow stripe might look good too. I guess I really need to sit down with a bunch of vinyl sample books in front of me.

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I really think it's a age thing I like the look of the tops too and would put one on in a second. But then Hollywood reminded me that now with my console and a top up it would be next to impossible to get into the seats.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

They are part of the charm. Right, Bruce? (I know I've got at least one ally in this battle)

I'm joining the "fuggly" (as Tim would say) old group here and say I like the tops as well! Yes, they snap on but bimini hardware screws to the deck as well.
Gary,
Getting to the front seat is an "age thing" too!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:40pm
Seen plenty of biminis that clip to the rubrail, windshield frame, and even floor on the aft side.

There must be some reason those tops aren't around anymore. They've got to be crippling getting in and out of the driver seat. Oh, and they make a SKI boat look like a cruiser.

-------------

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There must be some reason those tops aren't around anymore.

They are more expensive to make since each is boat specific. Bimini's are a fit all with given standard sizes.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: ArtCozier
Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 2:50pm
quinner wrote:

Coincidentally, I was searching for another boat in our Archives this week and happened to see the invoice for the yellow-anodized hardware that went on George's '86 BFN. Every piece of hardware on that boat was yellow. Some said that certain parts were actually gold plated.

Art

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:08pm
I would be very careful about a "pro" stringer job, regardless of the guys resume. Be sure to require pictures at every stage of the job and post them here for us to critique. A few people here have paid dearly for stringer rebuilds only to receive very shoddy work. Scary stuff.

I really think it would be a disservice to the boat to put in a non-original interior... I think you're tied to the brown. Check dolphin Naugahyde for some brown shades- their line of vinyls have some marbling in them which match the original 70's and early 80's style reasonably close. Try and recreate the patterns as close as you can, diamond pleating included.

-------------

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:22pm

I would be very careful about a "pro" stringer job, regardless of the guys resume. Be sure to require pictures at every stage of the job and post them here for us to critique. A few people here have paid dearly for stringer rebuilds only to receive very shoddy work. Scary stuff.

I'd be very cautious as well. Let's see, he lasted for awhile at CC then MC but now he's making fishing boat hulls???? FYI, a hull doesn't necessarily need stringers in it before it goes to the manufacturer for the final. A mold, chop gun and a roller is pretty basic glass work.

I really think it would be a disservice to the boat to put in a non-original interior... I think you're tied to the brown. Check dolphin Naugahyde for some brown shades- their line of vinyls have some marbling in them which match the original 70's and early 80's style reasonably close. Try and recreate the patterns as close as you can, diamond pleating included.

I totally agree. Keep it original as it's truly a classic.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 3:44pm
Art, It is really nice to hear any info on the BBBB#II, from someone who was there and saw it.

I do have a picture I took of Banana George with my 4 kids in 1992 after his barefoot performance at Cypress Gardens, high flyer off a tower, and around the bay, back to the grandstands.

If there is any way you could get any copies of any records of the build, spec sheet, or suppliers, I would greatly appreciate it and reimburse any expenses. I am preserving the boat and history and all copies of any records. He was a real ambassador of the sport and CC's and will always have a place in my heart. Also, I did receive the wayward CC script. Thanks.

Tom is working on restoring the BBBB#1 and we are planning to reunite them, maybe even this summer. But that is only a rumor and is a surprise, so don't mention it.

Todd

-------------

Date Posted: April-01-2013 at 6:56pm
Todd,
Thanks for the advise the other day. I was wondering what type of speakers to use. The tower for BBBB1 should be in soon and I want the loudest speakers I can find. Any suggestions?

Date Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:10pm
Well you can't just put any speakers on, you have to watch ebay and buy the best you could buy in 83 As to a tower since they hadn't been invented yet, any muffler shop should be able to produce something but I think a good plumbing supply shop might be better as you could do it yourself. Keep in mind if your going to show the boat you'll have to find USA made pipe and fittings,there were no Chinese krap available yet

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-01-2013 at 7:44pm

Todd,
Thanks for the advise the other day. I was wondering what type of speakers to use. The tower for BBBB1 should be in soon and I want the loudest speakers I can find. Any suggestions?

Pyle or Jensen.   

-------------
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Print Page | Close Window