Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28305
Printed Date: May-04-2024 at 10:50am

Topic: Windshield Refinish
Posted By: MI-nick
Subject: Windshield Refinish
Date Posted: November-08-2012 at 11:40pm
The winshield on my '99 Super Air is really faded and really chipped up (got hit with a lot of UV in it's previous life). I've got it off the boat and disassembled...now thinking about what to do next. My original plan was to have someone bead blast and powder coat...now i'm thinking about stripping it myself and taking it to someone to paint or powdercoat (i'm not set up good for painting). I think I have a few options...chemical stripper, wire wheel, sanding, etc...any good advise or techniques on this??

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Replies:
Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 12:02am

I'd start stripping with the easiest first, end up with a water
break free surface (scotch brite) just before paint to remove
the oxide layer for the best primer/paint adhesion.
Epoxy paint is real tuff but look for a uv inhibiter(sp)
it may chalk in the sun over time.

Powder coat is the best BUT it builds up the thickness,
you may have to sand it off in spots and redrill holes
so everything will fit back together.

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 12:19am
Yes, some have had issues with paint build up when they powder coated.

I need to repaint my frame also.

Donald

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Yes, some have had issues with paint build up when they powder coated.

I need to repaint my frame also.

Donald

I agree with the added thickness of paint/powder coat causing problems. Find someone in your area who will black hard coat anodize and talk to them. They may or may not want it blasted.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-09-2012 at 10:19pm
i like the idea of anodizing...they would at least want it stripped, right??

-------------

Posted By: msanautique
Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 1:23am
I have a 84 Barefoot Nautique and i wrapped the windshield frame in carbon fiber vinyl wrap !!!   Looks really nice, bead blast it if it's all uneven and take it too a sign shop and have it warped, or do it your self!! it's easy. go to youtube and pull up auto wraps same thing!!!

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 9:55am

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 10:00am

Anodizing and a wrap both good ideas.

My windsheild is showing some miles too.
I'm keeping the anodizing idea for later.

Gotta lov CCF!!!

-------------
- waterdog -

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by msanautique msanautique wrote:

I have a 84 Barefoot Nautique and i warped the windshield frame in carbon fiber vinyl wrap !!!   Looks really nice, bead blast it if it's all uneven and take it too a sign shop and have it warped, or do it your self!! it's easy. go to youtube and pull up auto wraps same thing!!!

Mark,
Pictures are defiantly needed!! A wrap is available using carbon fiber? How many mills does this add? Was the wrap into the glass channel?

My concern would be water moisture getting under the wrap. Aluminum without a anodizing will white rust real easy. It may look good now but a couple seasons from now I would think you may have a different opinion. I've seen plenty of issues with a powder coat allowing water moisture to get to the aluminum. Yes, again, pictures are needed.

BTW, I don't think you "warped" the frame but wrapped it!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Nautique Fan
Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 1:12pm
I have the same issue with my window frame needing to be redone. How hard was the disassembly? I have heard it is a real pain but never done one myself.

-------------
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 1:22pm
I would not dismiss powder coating. I've done 2 windshields this way, and both look and have held up great.

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would not dismiss powder coating. I've done 2 windshields this way, and both look and have held up great.

I won't dismiss powder coating ether BUT, the prep on aluminum MUST be done correctly. I still do not like powder!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-11-2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Nautique Fan Nautique Fan wrote:

I have the same issue with my window frame needing to be redone. How hard was the disassembly? I have heard it is a real pain but never done one myself.

it wasn't too bad, but did require some "persuasion" with a shot filled mallet...made me really nervous swinging that thing so close to glass.

i searched a bit and found a place close by that does hard coat anodizing and another guy that does powder coating...going to make some calls on monday.

-------------

Date Posted: November-13-2012 at 12:09am
got a quote from a local guy to bead blast and powder coat for $100. called the one place i could find near me that does hard coat anodizing...they don't do small jobs like this. they referred me to another anodizing place that has not got back to me yet. $100 to blast and power coat sounds good to me...does that seem like a fair price??

-------------

Posted By: tbeard
Date Posted: November-13-2012 at 2:20am
I think you are really looking at 100 bucks/job min price. May be hard to find a company that will run a job for much less than that. I have restored approx 10 - 12 muscle car frames, pulleys, brackets and anything else black that goes on the car. I love powder coating...it is very tough and easy to clean. I love it for car restoration. But....I do not know how it will hold up in the sun. Second concern is the assembly with close tolerance slip fits from one part to the next. Worse case is you have to blend/file or polish the built up surface for assembly......but that may be tough where the glass slips in. Please let us know how it turns out. I am a few weeks from tearing into my boat and the windshield is something I am going to redo. My powder coater hase a semi gloss black that is a awsome color...that is what I planned to use.

-------------
Thanks.......Tom

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: November-13-2012 at 10:50am
I have a sun fade concern as well.....

I had my #2 trailer Powder-coated with a flat black to keep the original look in a tough new finish. The coating was great but the black sun faded to a gray black...again, fit my purpose but may not be what you want....... confirm your color mix for the sun.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: November-13-2012 at 12:25pm
No issues with sun fade on either of the windshields Ive powdercoated. Cost was way higher than $100 on the last one, but that was probably due in part to the "per piece" charge (the '79 windshield has a lot more, smaller pieces).

Reassembly takes some muscle due to the increased thickness of the powder, but a rubber mallet and some dish soap will get it done. Definitely a 2-person job though.

Im starting to get the impression that my local coater is head and shoulders above most, based on everyone else's feedback on powder.

-------------

Date Posted: November-22-2012 at 1:36am
My windshields in great shape!!! I wrapped it in the carbon fiber because it looks great, I never removed the glass, i just cut strips and heat shrunk it too the frame. as soon as i figure out how to post a pix i will. My boats the blue 84 barefoot that was up at green lake a couple years ago.

Date Posted: November-23-2012 at 12:41pm
tim,
did you use a gloss black when you had your frames powder coated? that's what i'm planning on using.

-------------

Date Posted: November-25-2012 at 12:57am
I tried too load pix of my wrapped windshield but they are too large!!   But you can see 2 pix in the diaries just click on my profile pix thanks.    

Posted By: rogier
Date Posted: November-26-2012 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

I have a sun fade concern as well.....

I had my #2 trailer Powder-coated with a flat black to keep the original look in a tough new finish. The coating was great but the black sun faded to a gray black...again, fit my purpose but may not be what you want....... confirm your color mix for the sun.

I have no concern what so ever, as long as the coater thinks about the application before starting the job. I've gotten hundreds of things coated, for cars as well as boats. For example, on a car frame I want power that can withstand oil, brake fluid and small rocks hitting it. For a classic car interior, I want coating that does not give me the 'orange skin' effect, that can withstand UV and that can prevent scratches from small items that lay on top of it. For a suspension I want powder with teflon in it that can stand rubbing of two parts for the lifetime of a car.

For all three examples, a totally different powder needs to be used. A serious coater has his arsenal of options available, however, they buy big batches and might want to use something that is already on the shelf to prevent getting stuck with a drum of powder he can never use again after your job.

Make sure he uses UV resistant powder. If you have an open bow, make sure he uses a powder that can withstand rubbing on the edge of the opening window frame.

Date Posted: December-05-2012 at 3:39pm
just go off the phone with taylor made ordering all new seals...grand total ~$110. very helpful people there...we went back and forth many times trying to match CC part #'s with taylor part #'s...eventually she sent me dwgs for all the different extrusions and I matched those up with my old parts...should be ok...should be.
I still need to order the screw cover and hull seal from white lake and pay for powder coating...grand total will probably be ~$325...which is a bargain if you condider white lake wants $2600 for a new one.
frame is at the powder coater now. it's getting a gloss black UV stabilized powder that is supposed to be "very durable". i trust the guy. he also made a special note about minimizing the build up inside the channel. said he planned to "blow it out before I bake it". should be done soon, i'll let you guys know what it looks like.

-------------

Date Posted: January-16-2013 at 3:22pm
i finally got this thing all back together...seals were back ordered. everything went together pretty easily once i remembered which part goes where. i had no issues with powder coat build up. i put soapy water on the seals to help with install and a little tap tappy with a rubber mallet where needed. the parts do have a little orange peel to them, but still looks like now. i'll get some photos up soon.

-------------

Date Posted: January-16-2013 at 3:52pm
Cool What gloss is the black? I am getting ready to paint my frame.

-------------
Thanks.......Tom

Date Posted: January-17-2013 at 3:05pm
it's a pretty high gloss black...i took some photos last night...i'll get them up soon. are you getting new seals and everything??

-------------

Date Posted: January-17-2013 at 3:12pm
Where did you find the seals?

Ive done gloss black on both of the windshields Ive had powdercoated (as opposed to flat, satin, etc). I think that was the question?

Some pics... that dont necessarily show the windshield all that well:

-------------

Date Posted: January-17-2013 at 3:30pm
i got all the seals from taylor made...many phone calls and emails...eventually she sent me dwgs for all the seals in question that I could compare to my glass,frames, and old seals. it was kind of a pain, but taylor was great to work with and everything fit right.
my frame looks like your '90...as far as i can tell...

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-17-2013 at 3:31pm
Had a broken frame on mine and picked up a second windshield (Thanks to Reid) so I figured I'd try and paint myself. If all else fails, I have another somewhat complete windshield to try something else. It came out looking pretty good and held up pretty well last summer.

-------------

Date Posted: January-17-2013 at 9:48pm
Chris,
Do your research on painting aluminum. Visit an automotive paint store and talk to them on the products they recommend. You will need a prep wash and most likely a self etch primer before the finish coats. It will need to come down to bare metal.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-18-2013 at 4:24am
I am all over the map on the frames. I met with English Color our high end auto paint store guys. Their position is..... if in direct sun - ppg single stage gloss with no flatner. (Flatner turns white in sun) If you want semi gloss "hot rod black" very popular. (but it will mar with rough towels etc.) Another option is paint with black and clear coat(gloss or satin). Then water spots will not be an issue. Or take it and hae it powder coated. My powder coater has semi gloss black or Gloss black. Which would you choose?

-------------
Thanks.......Tom

Date Posted: January-18-2013 at 3:49pm
here is the finished product.

this photo shows the orange peel...can't tell from a few feet away. i'm not sure if that is inherent to powder or the application...overall it still looks like new.

here are the parts before assembly. you can see there is hardly any powder inside the rails. not exactly sure how he did this, but it worked out really well...i.e. no extra interference during assembly.

now i can finish my turtle project

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-18-2013 at 3:54pm
Cool, but it's blocking the calendar.

-------------

Posted By: Foot_Fungus
Date Posted: January-21-2013 at 1:00pm
I was pulling the top end off yesterday and was actually thinking about doing the exact same thing. Who did you end up working with to find new seals?

-------------
'94SN Restoration underway...

Date Posted: January-21-2013 at 2:04pm
i called taylor made customer service...can't remember exactly who I talked to, but she was very helpful.

-------------

Posted By: Airfooter
Date Posted: February-03-2013 at 2:12am
I don't remember the reason behind the orange peel look but the guy who powder coated my windshield frame warned me about it when I mentioned a gloss finish. I chose to go with "hammerhead" black which gave the frame a little bit of a rugged look. It's differet but I'm very happy.

-------------
1992 Nautique Excel

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: March-30-2013 at 5:31pm
Thanks, Hollywood. This is very helpful.

Is the seal In this discussion on the bottom of the windshield that mates up with the fiberglass?

Nick, when you were wacking it off, what part were you wacking? Was the windshield stuck to the fiberglass? Were you able to line up all the bolt holes easily? I'm about to re-do my '99 Ski Nautique closed bow. Exploring whether it's worth the effort!

Thanks in advance,

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Print Page | Close Window