Print Page | Close Window

2012 Buckethead Barefoot Race

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26903
Printed Date: June-02-2024 at 9:54am

Topic: 2012 Buckethead Barefoot Race
Posted By: tullfooter
Subject: 2012 Buckethead Barefoot Race
Date Posted: July-10-2012 at 10:50am
I know a couple of you guys will be going, but I thought I would post it here. Brian just put out the registration form for the 2012 Buckethead Barefoot Endurance race. This race has become one of the top barefoot endurance races in the country. Last year 14 boats were one the starting line; it was a site/sight to behold. It's 38 miles of racing on choice water, followed by a great lunch and awards party. Last year there was a sandbar party late in the afternoon . Last year there was also 6 or 7 Barefoot Nautiques; a couple being showroom condition (not mine).
So if your looking for something to do Aug 11th, head over to Grand Rapids, Oh and join us.
Currently, registration is only open to those who raced last year, but if there are open spots after July 15th, I suggest you grab one.

http://www.rectorcom.com/registration/" rel="nofollow - 2012 Buckethead

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Replies:
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 2:25am
Anyone?...Anyone?....Bueller?

Here's a teaser. It's last years start. Notice the boat to the left of this boat. Sweet colors.
BTW, the guy in the video is Dan Melton running about 8 miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzAYjz4jgzQ&feature=related" rel="nofollow - Buckethead 2011 start

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 12:31pm
I see a lot shared trust on that video; yall must all have a boating license.

I may be in Ithaca that weekend, but I'm guessing there isn't much room for spectators and we'd be boatless. Have a blast for us!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 1:49pm
Greg are you finally coming up to grassroots and not throwing me a heads up?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 2:00pm
Hey Steve, are you coming to pa Saturday?

-------------
Brian

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Greg are you finally coming up to grassroots and not throwing me a heads up?

So you have Herd of them? No way man; I'd maybe hit you up for a sofa.

Ithaca,MI    north of Lansing

From what I've heard/Herd, the festivals up your way aren't quite as relaxing?

I may do an 'up thata way' tour though...

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 5:36pm
I haven't been to grass roots in Ithaca NY, but I have friends that go every year and I can confirm they are not coming back home well rested at the end. When you make it you can certainly stay in the fennessy guest room.. it has slept a few correctcraftfans over the years but we always change the sheets.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

Hey Steve, are you coming to pa Saturday?

No. Why do you ask? I know a friend of mine may be trying to make a deal on your '91. I didn't know it was still available. As a matter of fact, he was at my cottage yesterday. He said he was on his way to Frankenmuth. Is he pulling a fast one on me and really heading to PA? I hope he is because we need a second boat for the Buckethead race.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: July-15-2012 at 8:34am
Oops wrong Steve! If they don't buy it, it may be available for the race. Get ahold of me in a week I should know more then

-------------
Brian

Posted By: tbeard
Date Posted: July-15-2012 at 9:47pm
Steve...That race sounds awsome... Would love to see it. If I was closer I would offer my boat. By the way Great video.

-------------
Thanks.......Tom

Posted By: 86BFN
Date Posted: July-16-2012 at 11:15am
Here's another teaser. I'll be there. More than likely as a spectator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Ydad0e7vI" rel="nofollow - Race Start of Buckhead Barefoot Endurance Race 2011

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Date Posted: July-19-2012 at 7:02pm
Steve, Why not foot? I talked to Brian today and he's doing some juggling; trying to hook up footers with teams.

Tim Cochrane (sp), are you out there?

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: watrski
Date Posted: July-19-2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

Steve, Why not foot? I talked to Brian today and he's doing some juggling; trying to hook up footers with teams.

I'm here.

Looking to jump on a team if anybody has room.

Tim

Date Posted: July-19-2012 at 7:13pm

I'm here.

Looking to jump on a team if anybody has room.

Tim

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:18am
I guess its now young guns and little bit older gun team now :)

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:35am
That first 2011 video from the Malibu doesn't surprise me- that's the rig to have! A CSB that doesn't give a damn about high RPMs and absolutely no wake. The BFN might have the hardest table out there but those Malibu hulls have tremendous lift and very little drag. Truly a great barefoot rig. I'll never forget the time I deep-up-ed behind my buddy's RLXi on one side of the wake with my eyes closed while planting/getting spray and opening my eyes on the other side of the wake- I had NO idea I did a LL wake cross.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 9:47am
I'll bring my gear just in case. And I'll shot Brian an email.

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

I guess its now young guns and little bit older gun team now :)

Tim, that works out great.   I spoke (texted) with Brian this morning and he said you would bring your boat. That works well for our Young Guns team of (4) footers, who don't have a boat lined up. What size shirt do you wear? The team is already paid for so your registration fee is covered (and we'll pay for your gas), but I have not given Brian the shirt sizes yet.

Steve
Plan on bringing your gear. Between now and the race, I'm sure some team/teams will have a footer drop out and will be in need of a substitute. Last year we almost lost one of our footers the morning of the race. He was "overserved" at the cooler the night before.      Actually he overserved himself with Rum Chada.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: RIPnSIX
Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 1:49pm
Can't freakin wait guys!!

Also, If you are coming and are a footer bring your gear. I'm on the local team, and we have a boat and 3 footers. yes, you can do the race with 3 but my body is already saying WTF are you thinking..

Should be another fantastic event, and the water's been butter all year.

-------------
If you don't fall, you're not trying hard enough.

If it doesn't hurt.. Go Bigger.

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 3:58pm

Last year we almost lost one of our footers the morning of the race. He was "overserved" at the cooler the night before.      Actually he overserved himself with Rum Chada.

I will bring my gear, and I won't be overserved. See ya at the party! I can see everyone is getting stoked!   

IMHO Jordan, I wouldn't do it with a 3 man team. Been there done that. Too much for this dude.

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 4:24pm
Steve,

I'm an XL.

The question is to bring the 176 (~300HP) or my friends 196 (~330HP).

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 4:38pm
Yeah.. there is no way I'd want to.. we've done it with 4 and it was a load for sure.

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:44pm

Steve,

I'm an XL.

The question is to bring the 176 (~300HP) or my friends 196 (~330HP).

Your choice (beggers can't be choosers). If the boat will do 40mph with 5 guys in it, I think whatever has more room and comfort is the one to bring. I have an extra fly High extension, and I will bring a pulley system and ropes for your boat.

RipnSix
what's wrong with four guys? Didn't WBC Hot Shots win the race with four? (it helps when the first footer does the first 18 mile leg to the turn buoy )

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 7:45pm
The 196 will do 38 with 4 behind it and 4 in it :)

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 8:43pm
In reference to the foot burn thread--

How does a guy ski 18 miles and not get footburn? well maybe he got it I don't know. Anyway I wonder what they are doing differently to ski that far without losing the skin off their feet...is it form?

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 1:08am
duct tape?

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

duct tape?

Nothing allowed on your feet for the race. Trust me, I can't understand how these guys run those distances. I think they do fire walking shows at night.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 11:18am
I have another theory; the guy in the first video, Dan, has some huge feet (I think he's rockin' some 14's). I, on the other hand, weigh in at 210lbs and stand on size 9-1/2 biscuits (insert small foot joke here). If I could spread my weight over some size 12's, physics dictates less PSI on my dogs.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: July-30-2012 at 12:15pm

I have another theory; the guy in the first video, Dan, has some huge feet (I think he's rockin' some 14's). I, on the other hand, weigh in at 210lbs and stand on size 9-1/2 biscuits (insert small foot joke here). If I could spread my weight over some size 12's, physics dictates less PSI on my dogs.

Hah.

I'm @ 9.5 too. Footed about 45 miles over the past 2 days with our local crew and they all wore booties. I didn't, no burn.

Think I'm ready for the race :)!!

Date Posted: August-02-2012 at 5:57pm
Getting geared up for the race. Haven't done much footing, but I've got a good team to back me up. Anyone else thinking of going to the race? First beers on me at the pre-race party at Rick's Bar.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: footer89
Date Posted: August-03-2012 at 12:31am
I will take a beer

Date Posted: August-03-2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by footer89 footer89 wrote:

I will take a beer

You got it!

If anyone is on the fence about going to the race, It is a lot of fun all day long. The race starts at 7:00. It ends about two hours later when the last team finishes (not us). Then there is a lunch, with awards and prizes. We knock down a few beers and then if the weather allows, we drop the boats back in and foot to the sand bar. After that, well,... just show up.

BTW; out of the 14 teams, I think at least 10 will be Nautiques, with 7+ being BFN's.

You ready Tim?   

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: August-03-2012 at 11:32am
Rumor has it that Mark Donahue (sp) trains by running long distance's barefoot thus the "tuff enuff" feet for this type of endurance

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: August-07-2012 at 5:33pm
I just had lunch with Brian (aka Buckethead). He says there are a couple of teams that might have a spot. So if you show up, bring your gear. I'm sure if you want to race, you will.
The river water level is good. Our beer is already on ice (can't be too prepared). And we will pick up the Rickles pickles on the way (can't buy them in Michigan).

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-09-2012 at 10:52pm
Packing up the boat and truck. Hope to see some of you guys there. 12 teams, 38 miles of smooth water, a cooler full of libations for after the race (and tomorrow night).   It's go time.
We do have one spot open if someone wants to join. My son sprained his ankle during jump practice. Let me know. Heck, your entry fee is already paid for.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 9:57am
Steve, How many are on the team? is it your boat or another boat? I might be interested...

I'd probably only be good for 3 or 4 runs.

Steve

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 10:28am
River's ready. See ya'll tonight.

The local redneck convention ie. The County Fair is once again in town, so check the alternate route I put up last year. The main river bridge and south side of town will be a nut house.

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 10:42am
Jordan

I tried to search for last year's thread, but came up empty handed. Any chance you can give us your routing through town? I like monster trucks, daisy dukes, and chew as much as the next guy, but I have to get my a$$ to Rick's.

Thanks
Steve

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:05am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22730&PN=3&title=buckethead-barefoot-race-2011" rel="nofollow - 2011 Buckethead thread

-------------
👣 Steve

89 Martinique

Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Steve, How many are on the team? is it your boat or another boat? I might be interested...

I'd probably only be good for 3 or 4 runs.

Steve

Steve

We have a spot on the Young Guns team (though there might be some switching around between our two teams). It is behind Tim's (watrski) boat. I think he is bringing his friend's 196. If you're good for 3 or 4 runs, that's all it takes. Bring your gear and foot.   

Steve

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: Jllogan
Date Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:10pm

Guys,

We have a few slots left for our lane bowers clinic on the 17/18. If your interested please drop me an email tim.cochrane@gmail.com

$111 for one session and $185 for two sessions. Must be a usa waterski member to attend.

https://sites.google.com/a/waterskichippewa.com/clwa/clinics/lane-clinic

Tim

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5792&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1986 Ski Nautique 2001

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:39pm
We had our best showing at the Buckethead. 3rd place out of twelve teams. Man. am I glad we had a Barefoot Nautique. The first and last 5 miles of the race were the most brutal I have ever tried to foot in. The wind was coming right down the river, creating white caps at the starting line. There is a boat sitting at the 4 mile mark, indicating where you can start power turning to pick up your fallen footer. Usually most teams can make that point with their first footer. It took us 3 times through our rotation to get to that point. Sorry to report that our Young Gunz team bowed out after just two miles. I won't name names, but one of their team members wouldn't get in the water. They tried to run with only three footers, but it was too much.
Another team, Top Gun, quit with only two miles to go. I'm not sure why,vbecause they usually win, but were way back in the pack when they gave up.
I don't know how the winning team did it, but they won using a Corvette Malibu. Thumbs up to those guys footing through that water behind that flat bottomed boat.
I will post some videos when they get uploaded.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:01pm
That is probably the worst i have scene the river other than the winter months.. First time I've ran the buckethead or any race and my feet are the least sore part of my body.

Congrats to the Burnin' Souls.

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:16pm
Now that's endurance racing.

-------------

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:25pm
I'm not sure if this will work, but here is a Facebook link with some photos taken from the turn boat. This is at the 19 mile point of the race. It's also at the smooth end of the river.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100792816676030.2595805.20902480&type=1" rel="nofollow - Buckethead photos

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:42pm
Hey Hollywood-

Nice ballet hot pickup!

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 3:04pm
I was looking for your bald head, didn't see you (maybe you weren't even there). I don't think red beard was around on Sunday, didn't see any of their boats either.

Yeah, the girls killed it. 1st and 2nd ballet scores...

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 3:24pm
Just flipped through some of the pictures. How does it work with the person in the boat holding the other handle? I later a ring that it looks like the line pulleys through?

Date Posted: August-13-2012 at 3:41pm
Almost all the boats have a pulley system. 100' line goes through a climbers ring. There is a ring at both ends of the line to stop the line about 3 feet from the handle. The next footer jumps in about 50 before the boat picks up the fallen footer. The pulley system works great for both footer and driver. As soon as the two rings hit, the driver stabs the throttle.
My son wore a GoPro on his chest. I will post a link once the video is uploaded.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 5:54pm
nice pictures there! hey come on! that is glasss, need to see where I foot?

-------------

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 6:39pm
Here's a link to a picture showing the footing conditions early in the race. The guy in the boat is the namesake of the race, Buckethead. Notice the "glass" behind them.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4545409632448&set=a.4545403392292.189673.1207473808&type=1&ref=nf" rel="nofollow - Buckethead water

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 6:41pm
BTW, that photo was a few miles into the race. The start was white caps.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 6:58pm
can´t see that last picture...anyway just kidding LOL...

-------------

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 7:01pm
what was the avg mph of your bfn with that load?

-------------

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 7:03pm
Kap

Funny thing is that the river had the brownish hue that your river often has. There was lots of rain leading up to race day. If you're ever in Ohio mid- August, you are welcome to jump on with one of our teams. But you have to bring along your posse.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-14-2012 at 7:04pm
41-42mph

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:12am
This is a video of my son, Brendan doing a bridge flyer after the race. It's on Facebook, so I'm not sure if this will work.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3639509707461&set=vb.1265820072&type=3&permPage=1" rel="nofollow - Buckethead bridge flyer

He'll have it on Youtube soon.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-15-2012 at 1:36am
More photos. These are from Tim (Waterski)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.272676062837865.51702.100002864201659&type=3" rel="nofollow - Tim's Buckethead photos

The smooth water is at the gas stop boat. The rough water was the 5 miles at the start/finish line

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-15-2012 at 2:00am
This was the water at the start.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: Airgrabber
Date Posted: August-15-2012 at 12:38pm
Can't foot anymore I have plantar fasciitis which really aggravates it.( getting to dam old) It's been a few years anyway. I’m good for a few beers though. Where the best place to put the boat in anyway?

-------------
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!

Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:19pm
anyone footing in any other races?? or tournys?

-------------

Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:29pm
It sounds like we are trying to put together two teams between Burning Soles and Captains Reality for the race in Dunsville Canada (Grand River) on Sept 29th. So far, we have 3 footers, and Brian (Buckethead) has 3. That race has 4-person teams. It's only 17 miles long. I will post a link to the race.

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:33pm
Here's the Facebook link to Endurance Barefooting's page. Check out Steve Keating's post. He's putting it together.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/51275510899/" rel="nofollow - Grand River race

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:34pm
Several people have told me they are footing in our figure 8 but signups are light at this point.

Steve.... Can you have 5 in a boat? Mike and I might jump in with you on that one. Not sure if I have anything going that weekend.

Tim

-------------
Tubing Sucks.

Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:41pm
Here's a link to a video taken from Pat Felgner's Martinique. It's 2 minutes of face plants. Usually in the race a footer gets tired and lets go. Not here.    Notice the nice water in the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC8z-4frECA&feature=player_detailpage" rel="nofollow - Kablammo!

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Posted By: dwcar
Date Posted: August-22-2012 at 3:59pm
That gave me a headache just watching!

-------------
83Ski

Date Posted: August-23-2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

That gave me a headache just watching!

+1

-------------

Date Posted: August-30-2012 at 6:43pm
Here's the Youtube link to the bridge flyer my son (waterskier2007) did after the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaM1huuIZVY" rel="nofollow - Buckethead Bridge Flyer

-------------
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Print Page | Close Window