Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26434
Printed Date: May-28-2024 at 3:43pm

Topic: Pumpkin Update
Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Subject: Pumpkin Update
Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 10:48am
Round 1- I had a vacuum pot that didn't have an air bleed in the check ball seat. It was a new carb and I didn't look for anything to be wrong with it, but I compared it to 2 others I have and it ain't there. Through all the good advice I got here, I had narrowed the problem to that function; so I threw a Quick Fuel adjustable pot at it and off we went. It was an educated guess because I could sit on the gunnel and open it by hand and it performed as it should.

The funny part is that I didn't know what the real problem was until I started to have a similar problem with the new build.

The short version on the new engine is that I didn't understand the importance of using the correct valve springs. A vacuum gauge dancing to the rotation of the crank and a broken intake spring led me in that direction!

Thanks to everyone for their help and patience, and thanks to a new member I've been bouncing questions off of.

I don't have any #'s yet as it only has a couple of hours on it. The set up is 781 heads, 10-1 comp, and a mild Lunati(Lunatic? ) cam. Damn thing broke my seat base.

Again, thanks yall.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:11pm
Greg, is this the same Lunati that you sent me the specs for last winter? The spreadsheet I have is showing ~390hp at 4500rpm, though Im not sure if that was the Lunati plugged into my setup (rectangle heads) or yours (large ovals). Is that about what youre expecting for hp?

Ive had several good conversations with Bob from Marine Kinetics- the man knows his stuff. He had concerns with too small of a cam on our engine because of the high (~10.4:1) compression. He said that if the duration is on the short side, it can lead to very high cylinder pressures. If propped too close to max pressure (same RPM as max torque) it can lead to detonation. Pretty sure this is what Joe saw when he ran the big prop on his 408w. For that reason, we went with a wilder cam than he normally would have recommended. Spinning it higher is apparently safer. Not sure if that info is at all applicable or helpful- just throwing it out there!

Keep a real close eye on that cam, it doesnt take much to wipe a lobe, apparently. Im sure youre feeding it a healthy diet of ZDDP.

Cant wait to hear how it performs when you get some numbers back. Remind me, which prop are you running? Same intake (Eddy RPM?)? Which carb did you put on it?

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:33pm
Bob Madiera? I saw where you got one of the last 2 rollers? If that isn't correct, I'd like the third.

Holley 750; gonna check how the 650 acts
stock oval intake for now
781 is ~ 049, both ovals

The cam is fine, though I may have come close to rounding it. Thankfully, I didn't have any coil bind. I just had weak springs on my 're-manned' CCH's(used stock Chevys) that weren't closing at higher rpms. I'm using VR-1 and a break-in additive.

Tim, how much pre-load did you put on your lifters? PCM says 1 full turn; scorpion says 5/8", and Lunati says 1/2"...

Mostly I'm happy to be done with my white whale and am way past ready to put some lipstick on it. I have a ton of goodies from Marty and Super Dave H and others. Carpet and upholstry this winter, fix a couple of gel scars, tower fix, graphics, etc.

Chasing that bad vac pot really chapped my arse...Sherman said it would be something like that.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:18pm
Im curious how many RPM's you'll turn that 1598. Im guessing close to 5k?

Holley 4160? I assume so.

Stock intake?! I thought you upgraded to a decent dual plane like the RPM (or at least a Performer) on your original Pumpkin build. Do you have 2 complete motors now? Id put that on the list for the new one- I would think that to be a major choke point.

Yup, 781/049's are very similar. I forget which one has smaller chambers, but I know those 2 are the sought after big ovals. Thats the route we would have gone if we didnt already have the rectangles.

Lifter preload... like you, I read a lot of different info, but everything fell into the 1/2 to 1 turn range. Pretty sure we went with 3/4. I assume you checked to make sure your pushrod length was ok?

Im surprised that the stock 781 springs werent enough... I didnt think the Lunati cam you had picked out was all that wild (.515/.530, 213/219 @ .050). I guess you live and learn though!

Yes, Bob confirmed that the last of the roller cores have been spoken for. LSM Engineering said they could do a custom core as well though, and the ground price was right in line with Bob.

I hear you on wanting to move past the powerplant... I cant wait to get ours back onto the water and running reliably!!! Talk about a long road.

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I blipped it to 4500 yesterday; not sure how much was left. It's still tight.

Holley 4160? I assume so.

Yep

Stock intake?! I thought you upgraded to a decent dual plane like the RPM (or at least a Performer) on your original Pumpkin build.

It's on the shelf. Remember my clever few degrees of slope I put in the floor? It don't fit!

Do you have 2 complete motors now? Id put that on the list for the new one- I would think that to be a major choke point.

I have most of another; everything if it went back stock. I even have another pair of unmolested 781's; mine from CCH had 18.5 cc chambers. I haven't checked the others.

And I also went 3/4 of a turn and have my tips centered.

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2012 at 2:49pm
If doing carpet (again already?) and vinyl this winter, I would take the opportunity to raise the motorbox a bit so you could clear a larger intake!

You have more restraint than I do if you havent checked to see what the thing is capable of! Once that cam is broken in, I would imagine you'd be wanting to seat those rings. Maybe Joe will remind us of the proper break in procedure, but Im pretty sure babying it wasnt on the agenda.

(I think you mean 118.5 cc.)

We've got the same 750cfm 4160 on ours. We converted the secondaries to a block from a plate. I want to add the adjustable vac secondary housing... which one did you go with?

Eagerly awaiting your performance results!

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2012 at 9:34am
I bought the Quick Fuel adjustable. It works well enough but doesn't fit like it was meant to be there. I'm back to the original with the brown(next to stongest) spring in it. The Holley quick change top(20-59?) is what I see more reputable guys using.

Yes, 118.5

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-15-2012 at 9:28pm
Greg - When you get it dialed in, maybe you can record a sound byte for us.

I bet it growls big time.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:08am
Greg you sound like a guy who knows his stuff. I've got a 74 Southwind on Oconee thats needs an expert for a bit of troubleshooting, if you'd be interested in helping out a fellow GA CCFan let me know!

If you've never been on Oconee, it's great. 285 miles of shoreline and on a busy day you might see 30 boats.......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:20am
Just FYi got curious so looked it up; correction its 374 miles of shoreline.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:37am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Greg - When you get it dialed in, maybe you can record a sound byte for us.

I bet it growls big time.

The coolest part is looking forward to tweaking it instead of chasing 79's tail...how does that go?

It does have a new note. It's sharper and maybe more aggressive; I'll get that byte in a little time.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 12:43am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Greg you sound like a guy who knows his stuff. I've got a 74 Southwind on Oconee thats needs an expert for a bit of troubleshooting, if you'd be interested in helping out a fellow GA CCFan let me know!

You give me too much credit...I fit better in the category of 'I've learned much more about my boat than I ever expected to'. I am happy to help though. What's up?

If you've never been on Oconee, it's great. 285 miles of shoreline and on a busy day you might see 30 boats.......

The thing is, my tools are up here.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

You give me too much credit...I fit better in the category of 'I've learned much more about my boat than I ever expected to'. I am happy to help though. What's up?

The thing is, my tools are up here.

Appreciate the offer, Tim Morfoot offered to check it out then he cut his leg and we haven't gotten back in touch. I'd guess you know Tim; for that matter maybe you could both help, and get a little change of scenery.

Runs great at speed but has a noise in reverse that I've been told may be dampener plate, could use a more experienced ear.

My first priority is troubleshooting some starting/charging issues. I'd think a good once-over bow-to-stern multi-testing and checking wires & connections along the way oughta nail it down but I really need some help from someone with a bit more knowledge/experience. And I don't really think it would take that long with someone who knew what he was doing.

It's in rack storage so no trailer delays; just jump in, check it out, then go for a spin, ski, beer, lunch....whatever.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:59am
If you could get them to set it on the trailer, Tim and I don't need much encouraging to have a w/e up here?

We won't get toothpick surprise, but Tim knows how to cook while we ski; it's a great deal.

PS-look for chattahoochee run/way down yonder... threads in the reunion section.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 2:55am

If you could get them to set it on the trailer, Tim and I don't need much encouraging to have a w/e up here?

We won't get toothpick surprise, but Tim knows how to cook while we ski; it's a great deal.

PS-look for chattahoochee run/way down yonder... threads in the reunion section.

Would like to avoid getting it too far from home base until its dialed in just right, particularly on a lake like Lanier.

Tim likes Oconee and was planning on going until the McDonough Chain Saw Massacre so I'd guess he's still up for it, not far from him. Nice quiet little marina, bring your boat(s) Might be fun, give it some thought.

Gotta ask, BuffaloBFN means you are from Buffalo?    

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 9:13am
LOL   Well, I tried to get you to come this way, but you seem pretty set. I'd like to spend a day on Oconee sometime. It's a bit of a drive though for a 1 day turn around after food, fun, and tinkering are worked in. Not sure what you mean by a lake like Lanier? There is a ramp that's only a 5 minute walk from here and a 2 minute drive back to my dock, and I have a collection of stuff from a 79 SN and my BFN.

We'll let Tim get his .02 in when they get back from TN.

Buffalo comes from a band my wife and I like to hang out with: Donna the Buffalo(DTB).

-------------

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 10:44am
Did somebody say weekend at Lanier? Count me in.
Morfoot commented to me that we need a Lanier get together soon. Stay tuned.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 10:53am

LOL   Well, I tried to get you to come this way, but you seem pretty set. I'd like to spend a day on Oconee sometime. It's a bit of a drive though for a 1 day turn around after food, fun, and tinkering are worked in. Not sure what you mean by a lake like Lanier? There is a ramp that's only a 5 minute walk from here and a 2 minute drive back to my dock, and I have a collection of stuff from a 79 SN and my BFN.

We'll let Tim get his .02 in when they get back from TN.

Buffalo comes from a band my wife and I like to hang out with: Donna the Buffalo(DTB).

I live in Peachtree City so, ironically, I think you are closer to Oconee than me....

No offense was intended, Lanier has a reputation for being kinda busy, although maybe thats a good thing, easier to get a tow
Only been out once testing a Resorter. Sounds like you've got a great setup. Be great to check out your boats sometime.   

I've also got another boat there I think you'd like, although currently
out-of-service; a steady stream & stuffing box nuts won't budge and can't see 'em anyway, probably needs repacked. V-drive..what a pain in the ass.

I've heard of DTB, I've spent my life boating in the Finger Lakes, aren't they from NY?

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:03pm
Hey BuffaloBFN glad to see you got it sorted out.Hopefully when I get home I can get mine going I am waiting for delivery on one of those roller cams. Hope it gets here soon I am tired of looking at this pile of parts want to get this thing going!

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Did somebody say weekend at Lanier? Count me in.
Morfoot commented to me that we need a Lanier get together soon. Stay tuned.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:47pm

I live in Peachtree City so, ironically, I think you are closer to Oconee than me....

My bad, I was thinking Oconee was somewhere else entirely. Covington is ~1.5 hours if timed properly-85, 285, 20. On the map it looks like I would go through Athens, but it doesn't work as well as it looks.

Yes, DTB is from the finger lakes area.

-------------

Date Posted: June-16-2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Hey BuffaloBFN glad to see you got it sorted out.Hopefully when I get home I can get mine going I am waiting for delivery on one of those roller cams. Hope it gets here soon I am tired of looking at this pile of parts want to get this thing going!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together. Maybe you'll do a write-up?

-------------

Date Posted: June-18-2012 at 11:38pm

Good guess...5050

No GPS yet and carb tuning to go. I did loosen the preload to a stingy half turn.

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 1:01pm
Sounds pretty stout! That should be in the 53mph range, I would think.

-------------

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 2:26pm
I think I need a day after I get back from a 5 day trip to anywhere just to play catch up here on the site with all the posts going. Yes, I'm back in the water after the Chainsaw Massacre and after talking with Natiquehunter & Skicat this past weekend in Nashville we want to get a Hoochie Run going of some sort. I said I'd like to try and get the ATL crew together soon so that maybe we could do it again in late September. I'm thinking maybe the June 30 or July 6th? What do you guys think? Greg it's your call as we may wanna use your place for Gnd Zero.
Jeff up at Gregs place the water isn't bad as the big yacht's and house boats can't get to his playground because he is between two bridges that they can't get under. Water is pretty calm for a Lanier and plenty of places in calm water to dock or float the boat. Fireing up the smoker isn't a problem. Just plug it in a go play. I might be able to talk the girls into going down to Oconee this Sat but I doubt it as they are in camp this week and we won't be home til late Friday night and they'll sleep forever. Jeff I'll call you soon so we can try to work this out.
Sorry for the thread jack.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:03pm

Sounds pretty stout! That should be in the 53mph range, I would think.

It has a lot more kick than it did before. It's still a bit up in the air though. I tried my 650 and lost 150 rpms. It also didn't reproduce WOT every time and the idle adjustment screws have little effect.

The 750 idle screws are puzzling too. They will kill the engine, but they aren't very sensitive beyond that. And I don't have a steady vacuum reading anymore. I don't think I have a lopey enough cam to cause the needle to jump, so I still have valve issues? I wonder if the lifters pumped up? I know they did when I had 3/4 of a turn on them; what to do?

And how can I get full alt voltage without going through the dash? I saw http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=full%20alternator%20power%20to%20hei&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hoigto.com%2Ftech%2FpowerHEI.htm&ei=EbDgT7mKGIiK8QThhJmmDQ&usg=AFQjCNFcbuCU3qcCwTYSpZdppqEBH7_Jtw" rel="nofollow - this , but I don't understand it. It does look a bit like the other relay back there...does it have a post I can use?

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:23pm
Tim M, no worries on a thread jack; this has already been all over.

June 30th is OK but may be short notice? July 6th is likely to be part of the 4th celebrations around the lake and so may be a mess for skiing. July 21st is the http://www.lanierpartners.org/index.php" rel="nofollow - Pirates of Lanier poker run; anyone going? If we get together up here on 7/21, everyone else will be on the other end.   

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:40pm
Hows the holeshot? Thats one thing thats still not overly impressive with our rectangle port motor... though it improved greatly with the weight loss.

Interesting on the vacuum readings... I would think that you'd have some clatter if you had insufficient preload. I wouldnt think it would be holding valves open when they werent supposed to be. Did you put a vacuum gauge to it prior to adjusting the preload? I would not expect that cam to be causing any idle issues either... we didnt have a terrible idle with our Comp bumpstick last year (.564/.566).

You dont want full alt voltage (+14.4v), and that "full battery voltage" is actually misleading, as you want full ignition voltage. So you cant steal power from anywhere but the dash. Unless youre ok with your ignition key not being real effective.    You'd want to add another basic relay that stole power from the breaker and was controlled by the ignition switch. Though, I have to say that I doubt that the DUI is suffering from low voltage. We havent noticed any issues with our original OMC wiring.

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 5:29pm
Holeshot?   

Damn thing broke my seat base.   

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I think I need a day after I get back from a 5 day trip to anywhere just to play catch up here on the site with all the posts going. Yes, I'm back in the water after the Chainsaw Massacre and after talking with Natiquehunter & Skicat this past weekend in Nashville we want to get a Hoochie Run going of some sort. I said I'd like to try and get the ATL crew together soon so that maybe we could do it again in late September. I'm thinking maybe the June 30 or July 6th? What do you guys think? Greg it's your call as we may wanna use your place for Gnd Zero.
Jeff up at Gregs place the water isn't bad as the big yacht's and house boats can't get to his playground because he is between two bridges that they can't get under. Water is pretty calm for a Lanier and plenty of places in calm water to dock or float the boat. Fireing up the smoker isn't a problem. Just plug it in a go play. I might be able to talk the girls into going down to Oconee this Sat but I doubt it as they are in camp this week and we won't be home til late Friday night and they'll sleep forever. Jeff I'll call you soon so we can try to work this out.
Sorry for the thread jack.

Glad to hear you all had fun in TN. In the perfect world maybe we work out my bugs first, then drag it up there & join in on Gregs 21st idea, sounds fun. Like I'd discussed w/ him, wanna get (both?) your help with a stem-to-stern multi-test & inspection; I'm sure with a little talent & teamwork can figure out the root cause; component, wire, connection..whatever. Then maybe diagnose the tranny noise, if not too bad maybe put that fix off till fall.

Once it's starting consistently & running properly I'm not as concerned about lake-mania (a Southwind takes the chop like a battleship) as I am about inexperience & ramp-mania. Been inboarding since I was an infant but never once used a trailer (or had to)till I moved here, and even here, since I keep it in a rack, I've only launched/loaded maybe twice. It's also roller-style and not particularly user-friendly...

You, on the other hand, are "Mr. Trailer" apparently, so if you can be so kind to work out a little Oconee time, perhaps you can drag along Miss Scarlett.....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 6:12pm
Jeff, are there any threads on your boat? Starting and running problems with a side of tranny noise...

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2012 at 7:10pm

Jeff, are there any threads on your boat? Starting and running problems with a side of tranny noise...

And a side of slaw.
Applicable threads I started are "Transmission "rattle" in reverse" and "Multitester help please". Think there may be some older ones but i couldn't get it to search past 1 year.

There were some exhaust manifold threads; now non-issue so far so good.

Engine itself sounds fine. Just did new distributor, etc, plug wires, and plugs. Last time out ran like a bat out of hell.

Problem somewhere in charging/starting. Last fall wouldn't start or jump at non-ethanol gas dock down the lake. Inebriated pontoon-boater in next slip jumped in and crossed solenoid and it fired, so replaced the solenoid. Also keyswitch was not turning properly so replaced that.

Last time out forklift kid said dead & they'd put in a shop battery and it started fine. When I got there started fine & went for a blast. Returned. Started once sorta ok, second time real sluggish, then I quit so they'd have enough juice to get it back on the forklift. When I called later, they said it was dead and hadda jump it to get it over to the forklift dock.

As background,marina mechanic great guy seems trained & quite competent at standard stuff but admits not experienced with older stuff & really doesn't need to be. My boats are decades older than the rest of the boats, and at least one decade older than him. I'd rather have a guy who admits he doesn't know how, than a guy who doesnt know how but tries anyway and screws it up worse. So, I'm ok with occasionally paying them for some standard defined task/cost, but not for any fishing expeditions at hourly shop cost...

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 10:48am
I didn't look those threads up, but here's what I'd look at-alternator output, cable condition, timing and general tune which may be causing your reverse rattle(damper plate). I'd say you're close.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:06am
Tim B, I've had a vac guage on it from the first turn of the key. Right after I went from 4/4 preload to 3/4, the needle was rock steady at idle in the driveway. Then I ran it and it seemed to pump up and was missing on 4 & 7. Went to 2/4 preload and it seems better but not rock steady like I was hoping to see.

Comments welcome...especially if you're busting a gut laughing!

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:20am
How easy is it to pull your valve covers off? If its not a tremendous task (ha!) then maybe try and reset all of your rockers right after running the boat on the water?

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:28am
Maybe it is a chevy thing but other than bottoming out one way or the other the whole point of those hyd lifters should be to make your experience painless and basically unadjustable. Certainly not to the point where your idle vacuum would be so adversly effected. (I am usually shooting for 7/8 of a turn myself)

What is your oil pressure running at idle?

Stock flow and pressure pump?

Not opening an intake valve can also leave you short of suction, is it possible you got one or two lifters that have/do collapse under pressure. (That one I have had happen out of the box a time or two but it usually gets pretty loud and rejects a rod or two).

Once that stuff is ruled out... timing and carb tune can certainly have a huge effect on vacuum... including the air that is passing by your butterfly valve at idle. The idle mixture screws not having the desired effect and low vacuum numbers could point to either the primary or secondary throttle stops (or both) being set too far open, bringing in air but not with correctly mixed and metered fuel.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:35am

How easy is it to pull your valve covers off? If its not a tremendous task (ha!) then maybe try and reset all of your rockers right after running the boat on the water?

I have to pull the exhaust but not a huge deal.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Maybe it is a chevy thing but other than bottoming out one way or the other the whole point of those hyd lifters should be to make your experience painless and basically unadjustable. Certainly not to the point where your idle vacuum would be so adversly effected. (I am usually shooting for 7/8 of a turn myself)

That's what I thought, but Lunati says 2/4 turn and I'm using their lifters so I gave it a swing.

What is your oil pressure running at idle?

The gauge reads ~30-35 psi. I haven't put a mechanical gauge on it.

Stock flow and pressure pump?
Yes

Not opening an intake valve can also leave you short of suction, is it possible you got one or two lifters that have/do collapse under pressure. (That one I have had happen out of the box a time or two but it usually gets pretty loud and rejects a rod or two).

By rejecting you mean breaking?

Once that stuff is ruled out... timing and carb tune can certainly have a huge effect on vacuum... including the air that is passing by your butterfly valve at idle. The idle mixture screws not having the desired effect and low vacuum numbers could point to either the primary or secondary throttle stops (or both) being set too far open, bringing in air but not with correctly mixed and metered fuel.

This sounds like a good place to look; makes sense. My timing is currently @ 12 initial. DUI says to put it at 14? Idle vacuum is ~17" with a small bit of fluctuation.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:18pm

I didn't look those threads up, but here's what I'd look at-alternator output, cable condition, timing and general tune which may be causing your reverse rattle(damper plate). I'd say you're close.

I'd thought if it is indeed the damper plate rattling (t.b.d.) thats a mechanical issue within the bell housing, not sure I get the connection..how would timing/tune cause a reverse rattle?

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:26pm
backlash

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

backlash

Could you explain a little please?

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:31pm

I'd thought if it is indeed the damper plate rattling (t.b.d.) thats a mechanical issue within the bell housing, not sure I get the connection..how would timing/tune cause a reverse rattle?

An engine that isn't running smoothly at idle will transfer those vibes to the back. I guess it shows up at the damper because it isn't a solid connection.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 12:36pm
And both pairs of plates were open slightly(primary more). I set them where I didn't feel the pinch/bind. Nice call from a distance Joe.

-------------

Date Posted: June-20-2012 at 2:25pm
Very common with the jets if not idleing smooth it will shake the slack drive line sounds just like knock in back of motor but there is nothing wrong.I think you have junk lifters that are pumping up at higher RPM's and holding valves open. Readjust so that there is minimal preload just enough to keep from ticking and coming apart I know that sounds scary but only way to find out if lifters are problem.I think on tour first post after reassembly(the 4500 one)lifter had not had a chance to pump up and cause issue again.

Date Posted: June-22-2012 at 2:13pm
In progress- #7 went to 174 psi and leaked back to 168 and the plug is sooty/almost wet. The rest are 181 or 182. So it seems I have a pumped lifter on #7.

I did warm it up to drain the oil if that matters. I'll follow up when I get it apart...

-------------

Date Posted: June-24-2012 at 7:31pm
Looks like I'm back in business. After much deliberating, all I did was loosen #7 to 1/4 turn and looked the rest over. I'll run it tonight and look at the plugs to see what they have to tell. I do have a smooth idle now and the exhaust doesn't smell raw anymore. Woo Hoo!

Assuming things stay about like they are, I may pull it back apart in a week or so and see if I'm getting full and even lift. I'm trying to think of a good mic point on a roller rocker...might've looked before I closed it up.

Or should I be planning a lifter swap?

-------------

Date Posted: June-24-2012 at 10:00pm
I answered my own question, I need lifters. Yall have any favs?

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2012 at 9:12am
I would adjust them just like solids only 0 lash and see what happens it is hard enough these days to get a flat tappet to survive breakin. Changing lifters now could wipe out cam

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:02pm
While I still maintain that Lanier is hardly the wild west, it may have gotten a bit closer today; and if you hear distant laughter on the wind, it's coming from the bayou.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:07pm
Nice! Lookin' good, looking real good

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:12pm
Thanks Brian. I'm trying to post my first video...pointers? What goes in place of '[TUBE]' for photobucket?

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:18pm
Hmmmm, you might have to do that with a regular link. Although, it looks like there is a way to embed a flash video. I've never tried it though. It mentions it in the http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/BBcodes.asp" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/BBcodes.asp

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Hmmmm, you might have to do that with a regular link. Although, it looks like there is a way to embed a flash video. I've never tried it though. It mentions it in the http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/BBcodes.asp" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/BBcodes.asp

I was just reading a similar post you made.

Marty!   

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 5:39pm
This is very close to the suggested 0 lash. If I had to guess, I'd say they're around 1/8 turn; or in other words, not much. I wish I could see the threads on top of each stud or the tops of the lifters.

I ran it hard and all seems well. The idle is strong and happy at 625 in gear(no more damper rattle). The vacuum reading is around the low side of 17 in the video and jumpy; after running it, it settled into a slight and 'steady' twich at 17.5.

I got lucky with the valve cover hacking. They held all of the oil...until I goosed it. Like the Bill Dance commercial-"Don't do that".

FWIW-my camera mic doesn't miss anything-it sounds looser in the video than it does in person

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:06pm

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:08pm

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:10pm
There's a little stop motion on my end with these videos...

And I got a spam warning.    

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:13pm
They played fine for me. Might be your connection speed?

Sounds nice!

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:14pm
Damned ol' big blocks!

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

They played fine for me. Might be your connection speed?

Sounds nice!

My speed isn't what it could be. On my end, I see valves not moving...they are.

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Damned ol' big blocks!

This one has been.

-------------

Date Posted: June-30-2012 at 12:26am

While I still maintain that Lanier is hardly the wild west, it may have gotten a bit closer today; and if you hear distant laughter on the wind, it's coming from the bayou.

Greg: To quote your earlier post: "you give me too much credit..I fit better in the category of I've learned much more about my boat than I ever expected to" Humble you are, Yoda.

Great photos/videos. Nice work.

P.S. Glad they found the other brother. The not-knowing would be the worst part........

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: July-23-2012 at 10:23am
All done. Even ran into someone in a Bu(very new) who wanted to run last night. He kept bumping his throttle with a s79t eating grin on his face, and I matched him. We got to a long turn and I smoked him on the outside. The look on his face was priceless.

Oldcuda was right; junk lifters. Now I get to chat with Lunati today.

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 2:32pm
So did you replace them or are you running them at 0 lash? Maybe find a set of Delphi's or Speed Pro still makes good ones

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 5:44pm
I put a set of Comps in. No fuss, no muss...except for all of the time, money, and frustration that I'll never recover. That and I don't have a tingle running up my leg from Lunati. I'm going to take a couple apart to see what's to see, and then send the lot back to Lunati; but it doesn't sound like they want to make them good.

It's running like the new engine it is now. It gets to 5k in no time.

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 5:54pm
Bummer that Lunati isnt excited about standing behind their parts.

Now go break out the GPS, youre killing me over here! Ill make the first guess at 53.6mph.

Going to pick up our roller at Fedex today, btw. Should be back on the water in Aug.

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 6:07pm

Bummer that Lunati isnt excited about standing behind their parts.

Indeed! I was trying to be polite...but

Now go break out the GPS, youre killing me over here! Ill make the first guess at 53.6mph.

I'd say that's an excellent guess. I run a little faster than 1:1

My wife and my GPS are building windmills in MI though.

Going to pick up our roller at Fedex today, btw. Should be back on the water in Aug.

Well post some pics of your progress! If I turn any more wrenches on this, it'll be for a roller and intake. The thing is, I may be shopping for a salty soon. The pumpkin may show up in the for sale section?!!?

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 6:23pm
Woah woah woah, lets not talk crazy now! Where would this new salty location be?

Im not sure that there will be much worth taking pictures of, but we'll document our reinstall for sure.

-------------

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 7:16pm
Damned old big block!

-------------

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 7:52pm

Where would this new salty location be?

Mostly in my heart; we'll see. Our 10 year plan has changed in the last 3. The cool part is we have plenty of options.   

-------------

Posted By: juniorwoody
Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 7:56pm
I do love my winter salty must say!

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

Damned old big block!

I got a thumbs up and a few horn bumps while I was cutting the grass. It sounds soooo good!

And raising the compression among other things has had a marvelous affect on fuel consumption.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 8:53pm

I got a thumbs up and a few horn bumps while I was cutting the grass. It sounds soooo good!

The BFN must have been in the driveway since they certainly weren't honking at you!! Now if Amy was cutting the grass, that would be a different story!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-24-2012 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The BFN must have been in the driveway since they certainly weren't honking at you!! Now if Amy was cutting the grass, that would be a different story!

OK funny guy.   

I live on a peninsula and the park/ramp is on the other side. They heard me go by and they've all seen me working on it. The peninsula is small enough(~50 houses) to hear the full run.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window