Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16677
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 4:53pm

Topic: Battery Cable Repair/Replace
Posted By: 89Ski_Nautique
Subject: Battery Cable Repair/Replace
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:13am
Well, it looks like the bad economy has prompted me to attempt yet another repair that I normally would not have tackled (sorry Woody for not bringing the boat in) without the expert advise from CCFAN member’s on this site.

Only one summer of use and I managed to get the positive battery terminal thoroughly corroded.

Lesson learned…listen to Pete’s advice and inspect these connections periodically and make sure you have these connections coated with dielectric grease.   

Besides the battery, it looks like the previous owners(s) did not pay particular attention to the gauge of wire they selected, let alone did not use tinned copper wires and used poorly crimped connectors (see photo below).

With the help from reading one of Chris’s previous posts, I too found the site that will custom make battery cables to your unique specifications.   

The battery cables I removed were #2 gauge, in my opinion good only to approximately 6 feet.   Perhaps the negative cable length was within this 6 foot length specification. Using the PCM manual as a reference guide I have listed the battery cable size specifications.

Cable Length           Cable Size Required
Upto 3ft. 6in.        #4 Gauge
3ft. 6in. to 6ft.      #2 Gauge
6ft. to 7ft. 6in.      #1 Gauge
7ft. 6in. to 9ft. 6in #0 Gauge
9ft. 6in to 12 ft.     #00 Gauge
12ft. to 15 ft.      1 #000 Gauge
15 ft. to 19 ft.     2 #0000 Gauge

I have included the suppliers I used in this the repair process to perhaps help the next CCFAN member that may be experiencing the same or similar problem. Yes, perhaps there even less expensive components that you can use with different suppliers. These are provided as reference only who I selected for the battery upgrade/repair.

•     1 – Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Starting Battery
o      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Optima+Batteries+8002-002+34+RedTop+Starting+Battery+&x=12&y=12.html - Optima D34 RedTop Starting Battery
o     12-Volt, 800 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10" x 6 7/8" x 7 13/16" tall, Weight: 37.9 pounds, SAE Post
o     Unlike the Optima 34/78 The D34 only includes the SAE top post connections.
o     No Sales tax and Free Shipping
o     Some may consider Optima batteries too pricy. Yes there are less expensive batteries at Autozone and other locations that will do the job. I like the Optima batteries they sealed and work well in the marine environment.
•     1- Positive 8’ length Battery Cable ,
o      http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Grade%20Wire.html/ - Marine Battery Cable – Pos
o     #0 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable .
o     #0 AWG Tinned Heavy Duty Wall Cu Lug 3/8”
o     #0 AWG Tinned Terminal Elbow – Positive - Left
o     Heat Shrink Red both Ends
o     Note: There are 2 labor charges at $1.00 each for the connector assembly
•     1- Negative 6’ length Battery Cable ,
o      http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%20Grade%20Wire.html/ - Marine Battery Cable – Neg
o     #0 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable BLK .
o     #0 AWG Tinned Heavy Duty Wall Cu Lug 3/8”
o     #0 AWG Tinned Terminal Elbow – Negative - Left
o     Heat Shrink BLK both Ends
o     Note: There are 2 labor charges at $1.00 each for the connector assembly

Because the wires were not tinned, it appears the old battery cables were starting to corrode from the inside.

These are comparison photos between the old battery and the new battery cables.

Starter Relay connection.

Battery Ground connection.

Final assembly and checkout.

Another leasson learned chances are there is previous post from Pete which will help guide you through the repair process. Thanks again Pete, I gained much information from your previous posts. Now back reading about wet sanding and buffing gelcoat…unless of course I could convince one or more CCFAN members to spending a fun filled weekend in FL wet sanding and buffing.

Thanks,
Randy

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4577&sort=&pagenum=1 - 1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 10:46am
some of that corrosion was from the fact that it's an unsealed battery and the acid leaked out and mainly on the one side where there was more damage notice the trace left on top of the battery.

But nice write up and it looks like you should be fine for years.

I would go back and remove the ground connection at the block, scrape, sand off the paint on the block under the lug, then reatach the ground and paint over the whole area with engine paint. Hard to get a really good ground with paint between the contact faces.

but all in all job well done.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: 89Ski_Nautique
Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 8:30pm
Chris,

Thanks for the tip on the ground connection improvement.

As a follow-on related repair I replaced the battery cover/toolbox tie down. I thought I would pass on this update. I was unable to throughly tighten the cover tie down due to the poor mount/rusted screws. It appears the screws were not stainless steel or perhaps lower quality stainless as provided by CC or Attwood.    

Using vicegrips I was able to carefully extract the rusted screws.

All of them were rusted like this one.

Following Pete's posted advise, cleaned the holes and applied CPES to the holes, allow time to cure properly.

Final assembly.

Although not original, This West Marine Battery tie down was a direct replacement for the Atwood tie down consequently I could reuse the exact same holes. Yes, I think the Attwood Tie down strap is still available. Be sure to throw away the screws that come with this tie down kit and obtain good quality stainless steel #8 3/4" length screws.

I tighten the screws about 75%-80% allowing time for the 4200 sealant cure and not get forced out completely.

Final assembly tighten screws and cinch the tie down strap.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4577&sort=&pagenum=1 - 1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: March-06-2010 at 11:15am
nice professional installation, good example

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: March-08-2010 at 2:44pm

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: Foot_Fungus
Date Posted: April-21-2013 at 1:58pm
Nice writeup Randy, just did this myself.

For you NWZ hullers. You will need 10ft Postive and 8'1" negative of actual cable length PLUS the ends. And yes the 1" will make a difference. The factory stuff is 2ga, I upgraded to 1ga which should be fine unless you are running a ridiculous amount of electronics. 0ga will be a very tight squeeze through the floor holes, 1ga barely fit. When replacing it you will have 3 zipties that hold the cable and loom to the side of the engine bay. They go through the aluminum frame. Ended up running right at $90 for both cables.

Genuinedealz.com Item #13347081
1 AWG - 2 AWG Tinned Heavy Wall Lug 3/8 in
Price: $2.31
Quantity: 2.00
Inventory SKU: GIM-91747
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347082
1 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable Boat Wire BLK /ft
Price: $3.95
Quantity: 8.00
Inventory SKU: GIM-WUL1BK-/FT
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347083
1 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable Boat Wire RED /ft
Price: $3.95
Quantity: 10.00
Inventory SKU: GIM-WUL1RD-/FT
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347084
1 to 2 AWG Tinned Copper Battery Terminal -Top Post POS
Price: $2.99
Quantity: 1.00
Inventory SKU: GIM-12544
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347085
1/0 AWG Straight Battery Terminal Bimetal Negative
Price: $3.01
Inventory SKU: GIM-15163
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347086
3/4 in Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Tubing - $/ft Black
Price: $2.43
Inventory SKU: GIM-HS3A-075-BK
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347087
3/4 in Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Tubing - $/ft Red
Price: $2.43
Inventory SKU: GIM-HS3A-075-RD
Genuinedealz.com Item #13347088
Custom Cable Assembly - Labor Charge
Price: $1.00
Quantity: 4.00
Inventory SKU: CUSTLABstore

Total: $90.58 (Free Shipping) - Arrived 3 days after I placed my order.

-------------
'94SN Restoration underway...

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-21-2013 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Foot_Fungus Foot_Fungus wrote:

For you NWZ hullers. You will need 10ft Postive and 8'1" negative of actual cable length PLUS the ends. And yes the 1" will make a difference.

You should mention which year boat you did this for. The 1990-1991 boats will not be the same as the 92+ ones. The later boats got coolers that sit just aft of the batt box so the cables enter from the side. Early boats had no coolers and the cables entered from the rear. That will impact cable length.

-------------

Posted By: Foot_Fungus
Date Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:53pm
ah good point, yes mine was a 94 that did have the afore mentioned cooler directly behind the battery box. Nice catch Tim.

-------------
'94SN Restoration underway...

Posted By: Kiteboarder
Date Posted: May-18-2013 at 2:19pm
TRBenj,

Do you know what length cables I need for my 88sn2001?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-18-2013 at 3:55pm
I sure don't! :)

-------------

Posted By: Canuck-Surfer
Date Posted: August-06-2022 at 11:16pm
Sorry for reviving an ancient post, but the lengths that John (foot fungus) posted above, was that for a 94 Sport or Ski? I'm ordering new cables for my 96 Sport and am tried to roughly measure tonight. I rounded up where I couldn't get a tape in, and got about 15' for the positive. I'm wondering if I rounded up too much....

Also, is everyone okay with 1 AWG for 96 Sports with GT40? I'm worried 0 or 0/1 wouldn't fit through holes.

-------------
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 1:26am
I went with 0/1 and they fit fine.  Give yourself enough length for nice radius bends.  

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I went with 0/1 and they fit fine.  Give yourself enough length for nice radius bends.  

JQ

What is this 0/1 size that doesn't seem to show up on any battery cable size charts?

Link below to one of many size charts.

http://www.batterycable.co/automotive_cable_gauge.html" rel="nofollow - link

I think whatever size you decide on, I'd pull the old cable for measurements so you'll have something that you know works for you.

And speaking of thinking, I think there must be an update to be had for your other thread., ".GT40 EFI starting issue"............is the boat dead or alive running good or running bad? Wink

Posted By: Canuck-Surfer
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 6:20am
It’s running. I’ll update the other list soon. There’s been lots of little steps over the last couple weeks and I’m trying to focus on enjoying the summer and managing the kids and work. I need a good book a time to sit down and update the other posts which I promise I will get to. Just have not had that kind of time so far.

Also other posts have said don’t pull them as you need them to pull through the new cables.

-------------
1996 Sport Nautique GT40 EFI

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 6:42am
Just tie a rope to the end so as you pull it the rope follows, then use the rope for pulling the new cable.

Kinda like doing a steering cable 

Glad to know it's running Wink

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 11:22am
If it was my money I would do like Keno said, pull with a tracer rope and measure. If you fell it was a little short or long you can adjust accordingly.

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: August-07-2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

JQ

What is this 0/1 size that doesn't seem to show up on any battery cable size charts?

Dyslexia is a disease horrible.  1/0.  One aught.  

JQ

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Print Page | Close Window