Forum Name: Boat Parts For Sale
Forum Discription: Parts for sale only
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15606
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 9:01pm

Topic: SN Rudder - SOLD
Posted By: east tx skier
Subject: SN Rudder - SOLD
Date Posted: October-16-2009 at 1:51pm
I'm swapping out my rudder for the newer rudder with a trim tab.

Rudder is original to my 1998 SN. Previous owner filed the righthand trailing edge of the rudder for neutral steering. My boat currently steers fine without much play, but I want to be able to fine tune the pull for the course without having to do trial and error filing the opposite side of the rudder. So the old rudder is for sale.

Dealer is removing the rudder and housing right now. So it is available (presumably the housing is part of the deal since I'm changing over to a greasable port).   

Disclaimer: This rudder is neither gold plated nor signed by John Wayne). It's a joke made in hindsight. Read on. There is information and discussion of some questionable value below concerning replacement rudders for Ski Nautiques.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Replies:
Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: October-16-2009 at 2:42pm
Wow! $275??? Is it gold plated??

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: October-16-2009 at 3:46pm
Nope, but it's an option for someone faced with spending over $500 for a new one if that person has had a run in with a stump.

As far as I'm concerned, if the option is sell it for much less, I'd rather keep it as a spare just in case. It won't exactly take up a lot of room in my garage.

Thanks for the feedback.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Date Posted: October-16-2009 at 7:40pm
Sorry east Texas But I couldnt help myself as the price you are asking for the rudder is close to dealer net on a new one with a tab.
I just sold a similar used rudder for $75.00.
Mine was not gold plated.

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Posted By: davee40
Date Posted: October-16-2009 at 7:50pm
you gotta remember its allready been filed so that makes the price fair

-------------
davee40
lakeland,fl

Date Posted: October-17-2009 at 1:27pm
FL Inboards,

Are you interested in buying it? Are you trying to negotiate a better price? Or are you trying to gut any flexibility I may have on price from my sale and run off anyone who might actually want to buy this from me?

I'm not a dealer. I don't have a dealer net. I've got a rudder. I slapped a price on it. If someone wants to buy it for less, they can make me any offer they want. I guess if you're not buying it, I'm a little confused as to why you care what I'm asking for it?

I know it's a discussion forum, but I don't see a reason to check common courtesy at the door.

At this point, trying to sell it here is pretty much pointless. Sorry, Keith, I'd have liked to have made a donation with any proceeds.

I hope no one ever sabotages something you're trying to sell. It's pretty miserable and I wouldn't wish it on you.

-------------

Posted By: davee40
Date Posted: October-17-2009 at 1:53pm
sorry Doug

I dont believe anyone was intentionally trying to hurt your sale or your feelings,just having a little fun with it. my apologys

Dave

-------------
davee40
lakeland,fl

Date Posted: October-17-2009 at 2:39pm
My feelings be fine, Dave. No worries. I thought your post was funny.

Just picked up the boat with the new rudder and am stoked!

Old rudder is going on the fence for target practice!

-------------

Date Posted: October-17-2009 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

FL Inboards,

Are you interested in buying it? Are you trying to negotiate a better price? Or are you trying to gut any flexibility I may have on price from my sale and run off anyone who might actually want to buy this from me?

I'm not a dealer. I don't have a dealer net. I've got a rudder. I slapped a price on it. If someone wants to buy it for less, they can make me any offer they want. I guess if you're not buying it, I'm a little confused as to why you care what I'm asking for it?

I know it's a discussion forum, but I don't see a reason to check common courtesy at the door.

At this point, trying to sell it here is pretty much pointless. Sorry, Keith, I'd have liked to have made a donation with any proceeds.

I hope no one ever sabotages something you're trying to sell. It's pretty miserable and I wouldn't wish it on you.

Just made a $20.00 donation, consider it my gift!
No one was trying to sabotage your sale. I felt that your asking price was rather hi. And no I do not want to buy yours as I have two on the shelf and I know you are only trying to recoup from your dealer hosing you for the new one that was installed in your boat. In reality your rudder is worth between $50.00-$100.00 the port $35.00. Discount Inboard Marine has rudder and port and tiller arm for new $295.00 though it is not a direct replacement for a CC, just making a point.
Be realistic and your part will sell quickly.

Shooting it only reduces it to the price of scrap brass!!

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 2:59am
You have been terribly helpful.

-------------

Posted By: 65 'cuda
Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 12:40pm
Doug,

You crack me up.

-------------
Gary

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=941" rel="nofollow - 1965 Barracuda SS

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 2:10pm
I live to give.

Also, since this has gone from a for sale ad to a rudder discussion with little chance of sale, can someone link me to the skidim ad for the $295 rudder that is compatible with a SN. The only one I see on there is a wedge style for $386, the description of which specifically says not compatible with most Correct Crafts. I remember that they used to have a tabbed rudder they sold, but when I started looking this year, I couldn't find one there.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 4:06pm
Doug,
Never go to a dealer unless it is a OEM only part. Guaranteed to get a hose job. You should have asked here first.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 5:03pm
Doug....A bit of a threadjack here. I have a non-prop related comment/question for you about your current and previous boat. I remember you from the MC members site which I used to post from time to time in the past. So, you made the jump from a MC 205 to a Ski Nautique. Congratulations!! I looked at it in your profile. It is truly a beautiful boat. "Re-sell Red" if I remember correctly .

My question is...how does it handle in the slalom course when pulling a skier vs your old 205? I drove my bosses MC 209 (which I think was the replacement for the 205??) this summer through the course, and it was a HANDFUL to keep straight as my boss is a big guy. I thought I was going to take out some buoys but luckily I didn't. I felt really nervous driving it. Did your 205 get pulled around easily? How does it compare to the Nautique tracking through the course? I have never driven a SN in the course.

Not trying to bash MC's. They are great boats. Just curious about the differences you noticed between the two boats handling characteristics in the course. Thanks!

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Doug,
Never go to a dealer unless it is a OEM only part. Guaranteed to get a hose job. You should have asked here first.

I may not have asked, but I did a lot of looking on here about this part. From links I found here, I located a couple of rudders that were ski boat rudders that were the scoop (OEM) shape, but could not satisfy myself that they were the same as OEM or close. If it didn't have the trim tab on it, I'd have probably just taken to working on the other side of my existing rudder to get it to pull left. Definitely enough material to do it as far as I can tell.

I also looked at DIM because I remember they used to sell a tunable rudder that looked, for all intents and purposes, like a CC rudder. Since earlier this year, all DIM has, so far as I can see on their site, is the wedge style rudder that MC used from about 01--05 and abandoned (presumably because it was not as good as what they used to use/use now (much the shape of the CC rudder). It says specifically not compatible with CC and is not tunable. In the end, I didn't want to go with a different shape back there and end up with a different feel at the helm apart from a little load to be able to lock in the track in the course.

As for my getting hosed, while it wasn't cheap, my dealer did not hose me on the parts or the install. I expect them to make some money on the deal, of course, but I certainly want to give them my business where I can. They are the best boat dealer I have ever dealt with. They treated me like family, even when I was a MC owner. I wouldn't want anyone else working on my boat. On the service end, I appreciate the fact that the emailed me that they had some time to work me into the rotation (they have a 3 week service backlog right now, let me drop my boat off in the morning and had it ready for me by the afternoon so I wouldn't have to be without it for more than a day.

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 6:27pm

I live to give.

Also, since this has gone from a for sale ad to a rudder discussion with little chance of sale, can someone link me to the skidim ad for the $295 rudder that is compatible with a SN. The only one I see on there is a wedge style for $386, the description of which specifically says not compatible with most Correct Crafts. I remember that they used to have a tabbed rudder they sold, but when I started looking this year, I couldn't find one there.

Page 24 of current Ski DIM catalog
Reads: Rudder assembly, " This solid bronze, neutral steer rudder has slotted mounting holes in rudder box to allow universal fit in most existing hole patterns on ski boats. Excellent performance and handling, grease seals,bore size 2",slotsfit 3/8" fastner $295.00"

Now I never stated that it was for a CC. I stated that Your dealer hosed you on the sale of the rudder and instilation and you are trying to recoup your out of pocket delima by trying to sell your old one for near cost of a new one. I just purchased a new rudder and port for a 08 PS-190, My cost $325 Total including shipping, Nautique rudders and ports are in the same ball park price wise! So if you paid over $500.00 for yours you got hosed.
No one is stopping you from trying to sell it just be ready to get some flak about an unrealstic asking price.

Hell! these guy's kicked my ass last year about a set of red OEM PCM valve covers I had for sale, I said the same thing! I will put them on the shelf! They are still on the shelf.

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 6:29pm
David, yes, I had been looking for a TSC and forward Ski Nautique for about a year when I found my current boat about 80 miles down the road from here. 187 hours at the test drive and excellent record keeping from the previous two owners. Mechanically, it has required nothing but routine maintenance since I have owned it. Cosmetically, it has had a skin replaced, new decals, and updated pin striping. Swapped the OJ for an Acme, added Perfect Pass SG, and most recently, the rudder.

As far as the course goes, it is night and day between the 1st generation 205 and this boat. Gear reduction and the canoe style hull make for good starts. It doesn't have really any bow rise, especially by comparison to the 205. The GT40 rumbles in the 2000--3000 rpm range and seems to whisper when you get over 3,200. Even with neutral steering, the boat is solid down the lanes and doesn't get pulled off centerline nearly as easily as the 205 did. The wake is simply phenomenal, though I must admit not liking it initially simply because it was different to what I had grown accustomed, i.e., wide and soft versus narrow and a bit firmer. Two weeks later, I didn't want to ski anything else.

The first generation 205 is still a great little boat. Apart from the issues I had with that 4010 carb, it was reliable as could be and never left me stranded on the water. The wake was, as I mentioned, typical of a boat of that era. It was narrow, with a firm, but small bump at longer line lengths. The motor was the 285 351 HO with the performer manifold and an Acme 13x12 3 blade. It would get up to 36 in just over 7 seconds and held speed fine in the course. It handled more like an older sports car, kind of raw, more so than the latter generation of 205. Compared to the 197, the wake is larger at slower speeds, but as I once said, the 197 does not have a wake that is $30,000 better. Had I wanted an open bow boat, I'd have kept that 205.

As for the 209, I have not ever skied one, but probably will within the next month or so because a friend in our club has one. The long and the short of it is that the 209 was supposedly based on a maristar hull rather than a pro star hull. It was more of a spend the day on the lake boat than a spend a day in the course boat. I imagine it handles like a big boat. Probably why they only offered it for four or five years.

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2009 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I live to give.

Page 24 of current Ski DIM catalog
Reads: Rudder assembly, " This solid bronze, neutral steer rudder has slotted mounting holes in rudder box to allow universal fit in most existing hole patterns on ski boats. Excellent performance and handling, grease seals,bore size 2",slotsfit 3/8" fastner $295.00"

Now I never stated that it was for a CC. I stated that Your dealer hosed you on the sale of the rudder and instilation and you are trying to recoup your out of pocket delima by trying to sell your old one for near cost of a new one. I just purchased a new rudder and port for a 08 PS-190, My cost $325 Total including shipping, Nautique rudders and ports are in the same ball park price wise! So if you paid over $500.00 for yours you got hosed.
No one is stopping you from trying to sell it just be ready to get some flak about an unrealstic asking price.

Hell! these guy's kicked my ass last year about a set of red OEM PCM valve covers I had for sale, I said the same thing! I will put them on the shelf! They are still on the shelf.

Jody, I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing it. I went to DIM and downloaded their http://www.skidim.com/Down_Loads_PDF/DIM2009.pdf - 2009 Catalog (just in case it is different than what's in their web store). The only rudder I see in there has the same description you posted. The price is $386 though. If you go to their web store, the description specifically states, "This rudder will NOT work with most Correct Crafts." Now if it really is compatible, that's fine. But since it says it won't work, that's enough for me. Plus, as I mentioned, I don't want a wedge shaped rudder after seeing what a difference it made when MC went back to the more traditional shape on their ski boats. I figure CC has stuck with this rudder shape since a year before I was born for good reason.

As for getting hosed, without saying more, based on your price threshold, I wasn't. The figure I posted earlier is what White Lake lists the new OEM tabbed rudder for without the port. That's the only place I have seen them listed with a price. Knock 10% off that for the PN discount and add shipping and that's what an OEM rudder will run you unless your local dealer cuts you a better deal or you know someone that can hook you up. That is my reference point, not the price my dealer cut me.

Suffice it to say, I hunted the "parting out boats" threads here for months, but was beaten to the rudder or did not have a response from a seller. I was unwilling to go with an aftermarket part and knew I would pay more to get what I wanted. Since my dealer was going to do the install, I told them I wanted to buy the part from them if they could give me a good price. I believe they did.

I suppose you leave yourself open to a discussion about a listing price when you list something with a price as opposed to just saying "email for price." Since I don't like to email for price, I tend to slap a price on things I sell. In my opinion, things are worth what the buyer and seller agree they are worth. As a seller, you only have one chance to be unreasonable, or so they say. So if the price isn't firm, start higher.

As for taking flack on a forum for pricing, my experience is that on many sites some people tend not to go there. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and, based on my reading your posts, you have likely forgotten more about CC boats than I will ever know. Can you jump in a for sale thread someone starts and say something is overpriced? Clearly, yes. Would I personally do it? No (but I really wanted to over a Powerstar 200 once or twice).

In the end, I'd rather have a spare rudder than an extra $100. So that's that.

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 6:51pm
Not to beat a dead horse, but I figured this information may help someone looking for a replacement in the future. I emailed skidim this morning to satisfy my curiosity on the issue. I asked them if they had any rudders that were compatible with Correct Craft boats and mentioned the statement in their description of the wedge shaped rudder on their site.

Richard replied to my email as follows:

"Those rudders are proprietary and the only place we know to get one is a Correct Craft Dealer."

For what it's worth, OJ has three rudders on their site and one of them looks very close to the SN 11-A rudder. I haven't bothered to check with Eric at OJ about them, but the prices didn't look too bad, especially compared to my asking price.   

Also, I took a hard look at
http://www.boatdesigns.com/prodinfo.asp?number=91-287 - this site earlier this year, but decided that these rudders were a little more elongated than the 11-A. Not to say that the shape wouldn't work. I frankly don't know. I just wasn't looking for a change in shape.

Again, I'm just posting this to the extent it might help someone who is where I was when I was looking for info a few months back. If anyone knows of some aftermarket rudders that are pretty comparable to the 11-A, post up some links. I searched pretty hard way back when and didn't come up with much more than the "11-A" part designation.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 7:17pm

Not to beat a dead horse

Doug, I wasnt going to say anything, but since we've already got our beating sticks out...

I had to replace the 11A rudder in our BFN in August, and while I would have jumped on Jody's $75 rudder, I was able to find several 11A's for sale on here and ebay. Prices ranged from $100-200, the high end being the chrome plated one that was http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROME-RUDDER-SKI-BOAT-CORRECT-CRAFT-STEERING-POWER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2556be25feQQitemZ160369092094QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear - last listed for $190 and still hadnt sold. I had one shipped to my door for $120 in time for the weekend (thanks again Steve!). Yours is newer/nicer and includes the port, but the price difference is pretty big. Just FYI!

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 7:45pm
Sometimes we don't know what stuff is worth. I told a fellow member I'd sell him a 60's style rudder, port and tiller arm for $275. Another fellow member told me it was worth $300+ all day long, so I thought $275 was a good deal. He didn't buy it and I really didn't want to sell it, but now I'm thinking I may have been way over priced. I hope he doesn't think I was trying to put it to him. Good to know where I can get a nice $75 rudder if I need one.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 7:48pm
Chopper sold his 89 pylon for $200, I sold mine for $75. I've gotten wealths of information, parts and friendships from this site. I try to pass that on.

Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

I clearly remember this. I thought you were a d*ck at the time, but I'm past that and really don't care anymore! Thanks for hanging around here Jody, your CC knowledge is "gold plated".

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 8:06pm
I think I started looking during a bit of a used 11-A rudder availability drought. And yes, I was spit balling a price based (1) on apparent availability of used versus what a new one costs and (2) predominantly on my thought that I might want to keep this thing around as a spare just in case. So not intending to rip off the uninformed (are there any uninformed here?) by any means. I shot high, but did price this heavy item as "delivered." So if shooting high means I don't sell it, so be it. If I get some low offer emails, I'll send them Jody's way. There's no way I want to beat the prices he quoted earlier for the shelf space I would gain.

Hollywood, I think you have the right idea. I've given some parts and banners away and sold parts for a song for the same reason (the extra skins for my old 93 MC come to mind as a particularly philanthropic transaction on my end). But with this rudder, I was kind of toying with keeping it and priced it accordingly. It never hurts to have spare underwater gear IMO.

I at least feel a little better knowing that there's apparently not a direct aftermarket replacement that I missed. When I first saw the DIM link, I did a double take.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 8:29pm
You didn't tell me it was gold plated and signed by JW.

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 8:44pm
You didn't ask and I hadn't gotten it off the boat at that point to thoroughly examine it.

Hey, having read other threads on rudders lately, did you end up getting that 176? I assume so since you were rudder shopping last week.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 8:50pm
The 176 is coming over tommorow and getting a drive and ski test session. If all goes well I will make him an offer on it

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 8:53pm
Good luck! Don't tell him you already bought the rudder!

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 9:23pm
Thanks Hollywood!! Being a D$$K I try not to be but sometimes it just happens.
Found a 11-A"looking" rudder on evil-pay for a buck and quarter ($1.25)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190341690414
Check it out.

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:21pm
Unrelated but to F1 defense. I wanted a part, F1 had part, F1 quoted me a price. I agreed on the price. I sent the money, got the part. I am a happy F1 customer.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Andy
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 10:52pm
"An items worth is determined by what someone will actually pay for said item." Thats what my G-pa said to me. He used to work swap meets.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3721&sort=&pagenum=6&yrstart=1982&yrend=1982" rel="nofollow - My Blue 82 SOLD!

Posted By: tullfooter
Date Posted: October-19-2009 at 11:37pm
Thread Jack
Luckily I don't have a rudder issue. I just wanted to remark on ETS's tag line. Nothing better on a cold day when stuck indoors than to have some good friends, good beer, and a Warren Miller movie on.

-------------
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Date Posted: October-20-2009 at 1:02am
I love that line. Almost as good as "You want your skis? Go get 'em!"

Those movies haven't been the same without WM at the helm although the stuff they did down at Ski Paradise was pretty great footage. If only it could have been a little longer.

That picture in your avatar is awesome BTW.

That rudder on ebay looks pretty close. Wish I could read what it says at the top of it.

The third in line in the picture at www.ojprops.com looks really close as well.

-------------

Date Posted: April-28-2010 at 2:48pm
Rudder sold..

Donation made to CCFan.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window