Print Page | Close Window

BF Boom Safety

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13825
Printed Date: June-10-2024 at 12:31am

Topic: BF Boom Safety
Posted By: Riley
Subject: BF Boom Safety
Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 11:35am
My oldest son has wanted to get into barefooting since trying it at the 07 and 08 reunions. It looks like he's close to buying a boom. As we have no experience with these things, is there any safety concerns to using one of these? Any good web sites that might have good instructions for newbies?

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 1:56pm
No. Lane Bowers has a real nice sales pitch youtube on boom safety (BI sales) but there is really nothing complex about a boom.

Tighten the clamp to the pylon securely. No need to protect the pylon with a sleeve or tape or anything, go metal to metal. You don't need to torque it on there, snug it up tight as much as you can by hand that will allow you to get it back off again with the same tool (not cheater bars or anything). No matter how tight you wrench it on, if the cable brakes or you ram a dock and the clip breaks, it will slip and turn backwards. This is better than breaking anything else anyway.
Most safety clips of that size range will fail around 200-500 lbs, a BFN in idle hitting a dock post will turn one ito a noodle quite easily, I hear. If you've got some crazy strong clip on there I would imagine the boat would turn and slam your whole crew into whatever it is you snagged. I don't think even 3 or 4 skiers could cause enough drag to break your boom if it's in normal condition before turning the boat in a circle or snapping your steering cable.

Inspect cables for damage or fraying. Cables can be replaced, contact boom MFG if needed. Today the big names in booms are BI, ECI, Skyjac and Bemmans. There have been several copies in the past 10-20 years, most of them are nearly identical to BIs (Casad (usually white cables), Straightline (usually yellow cables)).

BI, ECI and Skyjac (I think, not 100% sure) are solid aluminum and usually have 2 cables. They yield quite a bit in use. The turnbuckles on the older ones are fine, the clamp block is really nice.

The Bemman boom is hollow and uses 1 cable, larger in diameter than the others with 2. Careful though factory they don't come with any length adjustments, you're supposed to cut it to fit your application. I don't see why you can't make a "leader" clipped in line if you need a longer cable. It doesn't bend nearly as much but will spring and bounce on you in a fall. Tim says some ECIs have been hollow, really the difference here is weight savings but more spring and bounce off the gunnel.

Keep clear of the gunnels near any boom.

In the past 5 years of being on all the barefoot sites I can find, I've only heard 1 or 2 stories of a commercial boom failing in use, and no serious injury caused to the skier. I think they were both ECI, apparently they used a weak clip or cable crimp over a short period of time?

You should be able to find a used boom for $200-$300 fairly easily.

-------------

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 4:41pm
It is free to join Barefootcentral.com as a member, with that I think you will get 10-15% off. That should cover most of your S&H maybe even tax. I have had two BI's and have been very happy.

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the info Hollywood and SN206. My main concern is if there is something inherently dagerous about a boom, and if there is, what to look out for. He's found a used one with the help of one of our members. I just thought I'd put it out there in case there was something to watch out for.

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

It is free to join Barefootcentral.com as a member

false

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 6:00pm
I've always been a fan of a solid boom, I feel they have less bounce than a hollow. I've skied on a few that bounce like crazy when someone takes a fall, I also use my coast guard approved throwable floatation device as a gunwale cushion on my boat. Guess I've always been partial to the BI booms, back in the Glory days I was taught to back foot on a boom and we literally sat on the boom facing backwards with a flip turn ski on, accelerate, stand up, step off. Yikes, I haven't seen that technique in 20 years but the boom held us up there well.

The one in this picture has the turnbuckles HW mentioned and I never had a problem with them but my newer boom has the clamp blocks and I do think they are better

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Posted By: 86BFN
Date Posted: May-29-2009 at 7:05pm
Riley, A Boom is by far the SAFEST way you could learn to barefoot. I would recommend a good instructional video. In addition, it helps to have someone along that knows how to do it but not necessary with the video. I like both Scarpa's and Sipel's personally. I'm also a fan of the BI boom. Be sure to get a proper fitting suit and padded shorts also.
Best of luck.

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: May-31-2009 at 2:57pm
A cup is not a bad idea, either.

See if Lane is doing a clinic near you this summer. He is a great instructor. I have taken a couple clinics from him. Never left one without accomplishing my goals, and maintaining what I learned afterwards. Money well spent, no matter your skill level.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: May-31-2009 at 4:44pm
Way agree, you can learn more in one weekend what may take you all summer with fewer falls. The money you save in gas learning bad habits by yourself will more than pay for the clinic. Went to Scarpa's couple of times. It's well worth getting a group together and having a clinic.

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:11am
The BI's are very strong. Altho I would not recomend it we once put 2 booms out (one each side) on a friends new C/C in Tennessee. Then 8 guys "walked" out..4 per side. No pictures that I know of but I think HW saw an old video of the trick that my brother put on a cd for me.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:14pm
I remember, burned into my brain. You could take 1 pair of my boardshorts, cut them up to make all 8 speedos and still have material left over.

-------------

Date Posted: June-01-2009 at 3:22pm
Thanks for the info. He's buying a BI universal for the Sportster.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:58pm
HW I found this pics of a dual boom set up on a banana bfn!!!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: June-03-2009 at 4:07pm
Remove 2 guys from each side and all wetsuits and that's jbear and his buddies. The boat was an 82 SN with the 454 in it. Then at the end Randy Filter is the last guy out there doing front to backs right on the boom.

-------------

Date Posted: June-12-2009 at 8:47pm
My son's boom came today. It's a BI. It is in decent shape. I looks pretty simple to set up. It has a clamp block rather than a turn buckle.

Hollywood, does metal to metal not mar the pylon?

Thanks to TimB for the link!

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: June-14-2009 at 5:30am
Riley could you post up some pictures of your boom. I have never had the urge before to learn to barefoot.
(I seen a young fellow get axed big time when I first got involved in water sports and that had always turned me off trying to learn.)

But after seeing Lakeboy's videos and Kapla's recent efforts I may give it a go. It looks much easier to learn from the boom as it appears to save you a lot from the painful errors. May even get some pointers from the experts at GL.

Anyway when my boat arrived from the US it had a part of a boom setup in the boat. I am just trying to identify what brand it is and if I can source the other parts or get some specifications on them so I can manufacture them.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: June-14-2009 at 7:44pm

-------------

Date Posted: June-15-2009 at 11:20am
Thanks Riley. I think I need to see one setup on a boat to work out what is required. Should get that chance at GL hopefully.

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-15-2009 at 2:09pm
Lewy, youve got a Casad. I believe its interchangeable with the BI's, as they can use the same clamps.

Bruce/Dave, looks good!

-------------

Posted By: 87BFN owner
Date Posted: June-16-2009 at 5:31am
Riley

Did an extension come with your son's boom? I love the extension, gets you out away from the boats spray.

-------------
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/buckethead1236/Barefooter6-10-09002.jpg" rel="nofollow - MY 87BFN

Date Posted: June-17-2009 at 7:40pm
Riley I got borrowed the same as yours, very easy to use.. 87 what extension?

-------------

Date Posted: June-17-2009 at 8:11pm
This one is going on an 03 Malibu Sportster. I don't think spray will be an issue, but I do wonder about the height as it has low gunnels.

-------------

Date Posted: June-18-2009 at 5:23pm
hight is set by the position were you put the pylon clamp....

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2009 at 1:32am
Tim can you buy just parts for the boom. BI list accessories separate but the boom complete. I did some browsing on their site and got a potential malware software warning so I hightailed out of there.

Would a straight boom suit the 89 2001 better??

I run a BI highpole all the time so I will need to either attach the clamp low or add the SDBM. I noticed they also have a gunnel mount what are the advantages and disadvantages of this mounting system.

Do you have any pictures of your 90 setup with the high pole and boom?

-------------

Date Posted: June-19-2009 at 5:13pm
Lewy, I do believe you can buy piece parts from BI, but theyre not cheap! Give them a call- theyre very good to deal with.

I would say yes- a straight boom would suit the 2001 nicely. I added a height adjuster to mine so I could lower the clamp just enough to clear the Fly High. My buddy did the same on his '02, and it works great. Ill try and snap a pic of how I have it rigged at some point.

I would not go with a gunnel mount- I think those are intended to be used with boats that dont have pylons!

-------------

Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Do you have any pictures of your 90 setup with the high pole and boom?

Not the greatest pics, but these should give you the idea. I mounted the boom clamp low enough on the pylon so that it doesnt interfere with the Fly High. The height adjuster brings the mount point back high enough so the boom isnt too high- the top 3 holes get the most use.

-------------

Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:25pm
Thanks Tim that gives me a better idea of how things will work.

Looks like I need the height adjuster also otherwise the boom would be on a very large angle with the clamp that low on ski pylon (below extended pylon).

I assume the contour booms are to allow the booms to clear the side panels on the more modern windscreens. Does this compromise the position in relation to the amount of spray you get when on the boom? Is that why a straight pylon would be the best option on 89 SN2001 hull?

I have been searching a lot of the info regarding booms and it is often said that the contour boom is easier to step over why? If you set the boom out the drivers side it seems stepping over the boom would be much less of an issue.

Is it possible to use the boom out the drivers side? As long as you have the weighting of people in the boat offsetting the pressure from the boom. Is there any other issues with using the boom from drivers side?

Sorry about the thousand questions but I have never seen a boom setup in a boat. Trying to find the best setup for my boat before I start sourcing the parts required. Hope to get a look at a boom and high pole combination at GL. Do you know of any boats attending that may run that setup?

Had to ask one more question.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:56pm
Lewy,

If you do need BI parts if I remember correctly they are in Milwaukee, perhaps you could just pick them up while there if possible, or have them shipped to one of us in the states and we can hand them off in Green Lake.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: June-23-2009 at 1:22pm
Lewy, there are 2 different BI contour booms- the straight contour only curves down. The universal contour curves down and back. The universal is much more common and is intended to accomodate the longer windshields of other comp boats- but our Ski Nautiques dont need them. I would imagine that it would put you a little more in line with the spray, which is already killer on the 2001. Id recommend an extension either way for your boat! With the straight boom I would go for the height adjuster if you want to mount the clamp low for the Fly High like I have it.

Ive never put my booms on the drivers side, but there are plenty who do. If you generally have a big enough crew to distribute weight around, then you may be OK. There are plenty of times where we put all the people on the drivers side to tilt the boat that way though- it helps with both boom height and minimizes spray with the boom off the port side. You would always be fighting the drivers weight with the boom off starboard.

Either of the contours will be easier to step over since they curve down. One disadvantage of the curved is that you wont have a lot of downward adjustment left- so getting the boom really high may not be possible. A high boom is great for learning new tricks or teaching beginners on the 5' line, as it provides a much higher pull.

I think Hollywood may have a similar set up on his '88 at GL. If you want to see my '90, you'll have to come to Lake George.

-------------

Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:08am
Once again thanks Tim your explanation of the contour booms clears it up perfectly. Would love to check that sweet looking 90 of yours out sure you won't bring it to Green Lake.

Quinner thanks for the offer of parts shipping will let you know if I need to take your offer up.

-------------

Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 12:45pm

Once again thanks Tim your explanation of the contour booms clears it up perfectly. Would love to check that sweet looking 90 of yours out sure you won't bring it to Green Lake.

No problem! I dont think the '90 is up for the trip... mostly due to the POS trailer that needs a full restore. Hopefully Ill get to it next year!

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 2:58pm
As for boom safety I have a skylon that I use primarily for teaching kids. It only has a single cable to the bow and a quick realse clamp for the pyoln. I don't think it is as suitable for pulling full size manly men barefoot. The BI with the bolt on base and two cables I think is much stronger. (my$.02)

make damn sure you remember that thing is out there at all times. They really don't like swim ladders (ask me how I know)

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Lewy,

If you do need BI parts if I remember correctly they are in Milwaukee, perhaps you could just pick them up while there if possible, or have them shipped to one of us in the states and we can hand them off in Green Lake.

Quinner, FWIW- I called BI a week ago and they said they don't sell direct. Not sure if that is a new policy for them.
They directed me to a local gear shop and provided the part number.

-Brad

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 6:54pm
Tim is right, you will want an extension for your 89. We used to foot a friend of mine's and the spray wall would knock you over on your side when the boat was accelerating and the rider is doing deep starts.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: June-24-2009 at 11:13pm
Here's a little twist on the BI booms, I have a contour boom on my 81 which you would typically use a straight boom on. I actually mount the contour to the FRONT to get the footer forward away from the spray.   Between that and the 18" extension it gets you up and away pretty good for these old nautiques. I believe the 2001 windshield would allow you to mount a contour in the same fashion as my 81.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 12:50am
I've always wondered how a contour boom would fit forward. Totally not surprised the Magicman has done it already.

Lewy, you'll see our 88 with a straight boom and height adjuster at GL.

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 1:31pm
What side spray?

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/kfleisch/skiers/?action=view¤t=nastyspray2.flv">

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 1:50pm
Damn, Hollywood that spray looks like it'll kill you. Have you ever BF on a Malibu Sportster? How's their spray?

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 4:53pm
No I haven't but I don't think it's going to be a problem for you, atleast not to that ^^^^ level. We now have the 18" extension which definitely helps.

-------------

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 5:05pm
We'll find out in the coming week. You'd think we might have checked the boat out, but it was put away before Lake George and hasn't gone in the water this year. My sons had a blast BFing on Tim's boat Saturday morning at LG, (that's my oldest son David in the pics Tim posted), and David couldn't wait to buy a boom. He bought the one on the MC site, I think you may have commented on. It was their 2nd time and both got up on the boom.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Damn, Hollywood that spray looks like it'll kill you. Have you ever BF on a Malibu Sportster? How's their spray?

No spray issues on the Sporty.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: June-25-2009 at 7:56pm
HW, That video brings back some memories. No surprise that there were no deepwater starts in it.
Swingouts were the only good way to get up till we got an extension.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: June-29-2009 at 10:36am
Thanks for posting that video Hollywood. The side spray from the 2001 is brutal in that video. Will get a good look at yours at Green Lake which will be a bonus.
Tim are you going to the reunion? I got a email today from a fellow in Perth Australia who is sending me some parts to hand deliver to you at GL.

-------------

Date Posted: July-06-2009 at 10:50am
Tim the dash panels from Dan Arnup in Western Australia turned up in the mail today. There is only one corner hole that has a tiny piece missing. I could repair that with a bit of http://plastex.home.att.net/ - plastex if you are happy to give it a go.

If you are not attending GL who do you want me to pass them onto??

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2009 at 4:44pm
Lewy, if by chance I dont make it, please pass them off to Hollywood- Ill grab them from him eventually. As it sits right now, I do believe Ill be picking them up in person, though.

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2009 at 7:42pm
Not to hijack this thread but TR How do you like your wake board pole? Did you have a zipper door cut into your bimini?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: July-07-2009 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Not to hijack this thread but TR How do you like your wake board pole? Did you have a zipper door cut into your bimini?

I love my Fly High- I turned all my footin buddies onto them. Very solid, well built pieces. Love the upwards pull! Mine came with my '90 when I bought it and the bim just has slits cut (and folded over and sewn down) in front and rear for the pole/cables. Works great.

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2009 at 11:36pm
Thanks, I put a tower on a 2001 but I can bring myself to mess with the 98.

-------------

Date Posted: September-27-2009 at 9:44am
I setup my boom on the boat today and ran into a few problems. I picked up a second hand boom clamp from Dave Peters who was parting out a BFN (thanks Dave). Purchased the height adjuster from BI and fabricated the part of the boom that bolts to the clamp.

I will get a Aluminium one fabricated when I see what works best straight or contour. I made my test one from 4mm wall steam pipe. The outer part of the boom I have Tim identified as a Cassad is 1800mm (6') so I made the inner boom the same length. I have 2400mm (8') of the boom protruding from the edge of the boat. I still seem to have a lot of slack in the boom wires.

Is this because the boom needs to be longer? Can someone with a boom fitted measure their inner & outer boom lengths please? The cables have adjustment in them but no where near enough.

-------------

Date Posted: September-28-2009 at 12:38pm
Lewy, looks good! I say adjust the cables as best you can and then tug the boom back until theyre tight. It doesnt have to sit perfectly perpendicular. We ran a Casad on our '88, so Im sure it will work ok on your 2001. The thicker (inner) part of the boom is generally shorter than the outer part- but the extra length will help with the side spray on that hull. I doubt youre too short!

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: September-28-2009 at 12:55pm
Make sure that nobody in the boat has their fingers near the boom/gunnel. If you pylon has been replaced make sure the pin is in it.

-------------

Posted By: LakeBoy
Date Posted: September-28-2009 at 8:00pm
Side spray solutions:

1. You can get a boom extension that adds about 18"

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=15938&pdesc=Barefoot_International_Boom_Extension&cname=Barefoot-Gear&aID=600E&merchID=1009&r=view - boom extension

2. You can wear goggles. They look lame but better than getting a firehose in your grille!

My only comments on safety are don't go as fast as you think you need to at first with first timers. I am 185 lbs and I can foot right on the boom at 28 MPH.

Also remember you have the boom on at docking time and near other boats. Also when you go back to get your skier, I have seen the rollers come in and smash the boom down onto the water with enough force to bust your melon, so be careful.

-------------
Got Foot?

Date Posted: September-29-2009 at 9:47am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The thicker (inner) part of the boom is generally shorter than the outer part- but the extra length will help with the side spray on that hull. I doubt youre too short!

That is what I thought and the pictures of the BI straight boom seem to back that up. The only difference is maybe the length of the outer boom varies between the Cassad and BI.

Are they both 1800mm (6')?
I was hoping by making the inner section longer it would do away with the need for the extension.

One of the cables appears to be about 12" longer than the other at the bow eye attachment. I may get them both shortened a bit and that extra 12" removed also. The adjustment would only gain 4" on each cable.

Thanks for your help guys. Lakeboy you have been a inspiration.

-------------

Date Posted: September-29-2009 at 11:14am

That is what I thought and the pictures of the BI straight boom seem to back that up. The only difference is maybe the length of the outer boom varies between the Cassad and BI.

Are they both 1800mm (6')?
I was hoping by making the inner section longer it would do away with the need for the extension.

One of the cables appears to be about 12" longer than the other at the bow eye attachment. I may get them both shortened a bit and that extra 12" removed also. The adjustment would only gain 4" on each cable.

Lewy, Ive had (actually, have) both and not having lined them up, Id bet that the BI and Casad were the same. Without measuring, Id say the inner portion is closer to 4-5'. Good thinking to make it 6' and negate the need for an extension. The only issue that this creates is the change in angle might make adjusting the cables a little more difficult. BI uses a clamp block that doesnt limit the range (unlike your turnbuckle). You may have to have one or both of the ends re-terminated to get them even and adjusted right.

-------------

Date Posted: October-05-2009 at 10:26am
Sorted out the cable lengths with a clamp block type setup.

I know most people just use a throw cushion on the deck to support the boom. I remember a post about this where someone come up with a nice clean solution that also dealt with the angle problem.

Being using the advanced search for over a hour now but can not find it. Does anyone remember what thread it was in?

-------------

Date Posted: October-05-2009 at 11:20am
Found it eventually. Great idea 75 Tique.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10312&KW=gunnel&title=boom-on-old-boat - Gunnel Saver 6000

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 1:49pm
need some advice on the boom..I have this borrowed BI boom..the one that has the s-bend in the first section..wich in my case is good as it allows to mount the clamp lower and I can use both skylon and boom at the same time....but eventually i´ll have to return it to the owner...
now there is one available on the local ebay at a resonable price here about $150..wich is correct considering not much of those are available..only thing it is the one that is straight, like the pictures on lewys post..so someknows if its posible to mount this one and mount the skylon at the same time?

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:01pm
Yes, you will need the "height adjuster" as lewy and TRBenj have shown.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:11pm
damn!!! i´m screwed...that part is hard to come here..have that sent from the US will cost as much as the whole used boom...
any advice on alloys in case i can have it machined? but I gues it will cost also some money to do so...gee

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:13pm
A 3/4" wrench is much cheaper. Loosen it and slide it down when you have the extended pylon on, slide it back up and tighten when you are boomin' (skylon off). PITA but certainly affordable!

If you want both on at the same time you gotta pay to play!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:20pm
Kap, an alternative would be to have an entire new clamp machined locally, using the BI as a referece. We had this done a number of years back to emulate the Casad clamp, which essentially incorporates the HA and the clamp in one piece that gives you all the adjustment you'd need.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:28pm
and in what alloy should i consider it would be strong to take that load and also the rust?

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 2:31pm
Disregard the "stub" boom section, but this is basically the same clamp.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:17pm
here is the link to the boom i´m looking...looks like and old model due to the tipe of cable lenght adjuster...I think newers have the square piece with allen and the cables slides through it...

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-75129747-bare-foot-_JM - boom on ebay argentina

can so confirm?

price is in argentine $ at $4 for a dollar that makes around 150 us dollars

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:21pm
Yup, thats an older BI. $150 for that would be a very good price for it over here.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:28pm
Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section. It is not notched like the current booms, so the HA will be loose in the clamp. You will need to shim it to get a snug fit. You might want to get another picture, either way it is a deal.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:28pm
that my thought also..but I would need to buy or fabicate the boom extension...
thinking loud...I have the BI skylon,,and it has a pin in the lower section for mounting the top section higher or lower...anyway, if I mount the clamp in the middle of the pylon.. and remove the pin in the skylon..is it an option..or not much of the skylon will mount on the pylon thus making it unsafe?

you follow me? at least I´don´t use words as pole, rod , insert...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:32pm
kind of a quest i´m into..I think the best would be to talk to the owner of my boom and ask him if he would take the one for sale as an exchange.........

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section. It is not notched like the current booms, so the HA will be loose in the clamp. You will need to shim it to get a snug fit.

Based on what?

All of the earlier BI's Ive seen were notched like the curent ones.

Kap, you either have a Skylon (made by ECI) or a Fly High (made by BI, whcich doesnt have the pin you describe). It cant be both!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:45pm

Based on what?

All of the earlier BI's Ive seen were notched like the curent ones.

Kap, you either have a Skylon (made by ECI) or a Fly High (made by BI). It cant be both!

Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage. The large section on this is also hollow, and there is no knurling or rope notch on the thinner outer section. The boom kapla posted does look like it has knurling between the cables. The large section does look like it has the full diameter all the way to the end, and the milled section in the clamp.

kapla, if you have an adjustment pin you have a Skylon, I'm pretty sure that is correct from the pictures I've seen before. Do NOT bump it up at all, or flip the lower section upside down and use that height adjustment pin as the pylon "stop" for the lower section. It could bend your pylon and it'll come sliding off in use! It should be fully seated to the lower pull point through bolt (or non removable pin if you have an older Skylon). The removable height adjustment pin should be above. FYI - the bottom bolt on the lower pull ring should exactly half-way up/or down of the lower section. You need this much of the Skylon slipped over the pylon to prevent damage to the pylon, and safety.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:48pm
I mixed up..I have the ECI...so i´m positive it has the pin...

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:52pm
thats why I ask so I don´t damage any equipment..so if the height extension is needed thats the way to go then...
I just make my friend the question if he would take the straight boom..so I can keep the contoured one..i´ll keep my fingers crossed...

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 4:58pm
pics on the add don´t make justice but I think HW has a point there...

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:21pm

Based on what?

Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage.

Well, based on the silver BI clamp that I had, I would venture to say that the color alone isnt a definitive clue as to whether the clamp is notched or not. More investigation into that particular boom is necessary, Kap!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:33pm
I will certainly do..Tim...It seems I may know the seller so eventually I will be able to take a look to the boom before making any decisions...

about the 3/4 wrench HW suggested..is an option but those bastards tend to have a life of their own and walk away when needed lol, more when little kids are around the boat

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:35pm
Come on Tim, that clamp is obviously faded out red.

I don't think I said ALL silver clamps are milled, so basically buyer beware!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:55pm

I don't think I said ALL silver clamps are milled

Warning, you cannot use the BI height adjuster with that boom without some extra hardware! The clamp is milled to accept the full diameter 2" boom section, Based on the silver colored BI boom in our garage.

Sounds like a blanket statement to me!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 5:59pm
"The" as in "The" clamp that kapla posted. Obviously you haven't gotten taht eye checkup yet... :rolleyes:

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:15pm

Kap, an alternative would be to have an entire new clamp machined locally, using the BI as a referece. We had this done a number of years back to emulate the Casad clamp, which essentially incorporates the HA and the clamp in one piece that gives you all the adjustment you'd need.

Hey, I'll bet Rick the Tachyon guy could easily make these. Perhaps if enough interest he can run off a batch for CCFan at an affordable price?

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:15pm

"The" as in "The" clamp that kapla posted. Obviously you haven't gotten taht eye checkup yet... :rolleyes:

Apparently you havent gotten spellcheck yet.

Doctor says Ive got 20/20. If you can see that the Kap's clamp is milled, you must be better than that!

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:21pm

Doctor says Ive got 20/20. If you can see that the Kap's clamp is milled, you must be better than that!

I think you should get a second opinion! This clamp is milled on the right.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:21pm
ha you kill me lol....

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 6:22pm

This clamp is milled on the right.

I think its bad lighting. I see a gap on the left too- I think the halves are evenly spaced the whole way. I think the end of the boom is milled on the right!

If Tachyon were to make some boom clamps, I might be interested- their SDBM is one solid, nicely finished piece.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:18pm
I have a friend who makes boom clamps. Nicer than anything out there. Wish I could find a pic.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:26pm
I have a picture of those at home. It is basically a copy of the ECI design quick release sliding clamp, which won't help you run a boom with an extended pylon at the same time.

-------------

Date Posted: January-21-2010 at 7:50pm
He could make them to fit over the ext. pylon....

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:30pm
Fashionably late to the party, here was our setup. Didn't even need the extra room behind the pylon.

-------------

Posted By: davee40
Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:05pm
what an A hole

-------------
davee40
lakeland,fl

Posted By: FrankT
Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Sportster is one of the best. Ours is a late 90's with the Monsoon engine. These are with speeds around 30. Please no jokes about the vintage banana suit. We still have it but save it for our best friends.

http://www.youtube.com/user/7121Family?feature=mhw4

This is another one of my Sportster videos, local end of season ski show last year. Love the music.

http://www.youtube.com/user/7121Family?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/2/0Wf4VakVGGE

FrankT

Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:31pm
Love your banana suit, looks just like these.

That Sporster sounds awesome in the around the boat video.

-------------

Posted By: FrankT
Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 5:37pm
That's it!   Found it on eBay about 5 years ago.

FrankT

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 6:55pm
The around the boat vid: Looks like you are pulling from the top of the extended pylon. I am curious. Is that SOP? Are those pylons sturdy enough to take the pull toward the front of the boat, with no support cable toward the rear of the boat?

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have a contour boom on my 81 which you would typically use a straight boom on. I actually mount the contour to the FRONT to get the footer forward away from the spray.   

Guys,

I am looking to pick-up a BI Boom this Off-Season. I have a 80 Ski Nautique and I have been wondering if I can use the Straight Contour Boom on my boat? By Straight Contour I mean the one with only one contour in it as opposed to the double contour for longer shieldshileds.

From Allen's post above it looks like you can. However, I have been told that the contour boom is easier to step over. Is this really so? Does it really matter? I know the staight boom will work for my boat, but I am curious if the Contour will make it easier to move to the back of the boat my not having to step as high over the boom?

It seems like most of the used Booms I have found are the contour type. I also read Tim's notes where he stated that using the contour boom could effect the total height that you can raise the boom to for tricks and such. I under stand that the double contour booms are to get around the longer windshields that are on the new boats and the other makes. Mine is a 80 so the Windshield is not a problem.

My question is will the contour boom really make it easier to cross in a 80 SN Boat? I am now thinking that I really need the straight boom. My kids and I used a BI Boom this summer on a 2004 Air Nautique and it was great to teach kids to Ski. That is my goal. I want my kids to ski and wakeboard from the boom. I may try to barefoot if my life insurance is paid up.

Thanks,

Donald

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:37pm
Donald, I dont see why you couldnt use the straight contour. From the skier's perspective it would function the same as a straight boom. Alan was clever enough to flip the universal contour forward instead of backwards, but not all universals can be swapped like this. I know Brad (Barracuda) had to have the end of his universal machined and redrilled to allow this. Anything that gets the boom more forward is a good thing, as it moves the skier out of the spray.

I think a straight boom would be the easiest and most straightforward to find though. I have only seen one straight contour- most are universals... but all 3 styles could be made to work with your boat.

The contoured ones are a little easier to maneuver around, but they all present a good hurdle to get over!

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 5:16pm
Tim,

I was hoping that I would hear from you. You added a lot of good input to this post. I now realize that Allen is doing something different than I thought. I now understand what Allen is doing.   I am just going to go for a Straight Boom. I just did not want to purchase a straight one to find out that the coutoured is the way to go. I have too many other projects on this boat to do already. I do not want to be modifing a boom.

Thanks and it was great meeting you last summer ( late October 2008) at Reid's house. We used my boat as a plateform to change out some props on Reid's boats that were hanging from his cable lifts.

Thanks,

Donald

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 5:30pm
Donald, I remember it well... bummer the timing wasnt better for you to make Reid's again this year.

I like the straight booms because theyre simple... easy to store and carry, where the contoured ones are a little more awkward. I like how all the SN's prior to the new 200 could use straight booms where most tournament inboards couldnt due to their swept back windshields. Just my preference I guess!

-------------

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:04pm
Donald,
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the straight BI boom as well. Also want to be sure to get the boom extension as I'm told with both our boats, the spray can be tough. I really want to run mine off of the drivers side as it would make docking easier and it wouldn't be in the way of passengers in the observers seat, but i'm thinking that the weight of the driver must make this impractical since not many people seem to do it.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:29pm
The contoured booms are popular because the other MFG's pylons all taper towards the top, so they must clamp near the floor. If they used a straight boom it'd be pretty high up in the air. The bend is not there to make moving around the boat easier, that is a side effect. Add in a sweeping I/O style windshield and now you must have a double contour. A straight boom is not a problem, add a height adjuster if you run an extended pylon.

-------------

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:29pm
I´m also in the hunt for any style BI boom used...yes the extension is a must even on my no wake zone hull the spray was hard on my ankles..I have now the extension but no boom

-------------

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Donald,
Also want to be sure to get the boom extension as I'm told with both our boats, the spray can be tough. I really want to run mine off of the drivers side as it would make docking easier and it wouldn't be in the way of passengers in the observers seat

The extension is almost a must with boat that has alot of chine spray. You could go out to your side, but some boaters panic when meeting driver to driver as some maritime laws require. Also, the double contour might be in order in that case. Call Mike at BI, he'll set you straight, but he can sometimes be a little long winded. I think BI products are the best(booms anyway).

-------------

Print Page | Close Window