Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

updating ski tow eye

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: updating ski tow eye
    Posted: March-09-2008 at 4:59pm
I am looking to change out the eye on my existing pylon for the newer style or possibly purchase a replacement so I can add the sky high on to it when needed. I would rather not buy the attachment for a lack of room. Any ideas?
1968 Mustang 318 CM
78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 12:38am
Midwest Correct craft sells a replacement for the pylon. They call it the "microphone" which enables you to slide a pole over your pylon. Cost is about 120.00. I've bought one for the 2008 season. If you go this route, I can give advice on removing the old ring and finger. Mike..
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 78nautique78 78nautique78 wrote:

Midwest Correct craft sells a replacement for the pylon. They call it the "microphone" which enables you to slide a pole over your pylon. Cost is about 120.00. I've bought one for the 2008 season. If you go this route, I can give advice on removing the old ring and finger. Mike..

hmm, I just pulled mine off of my 78 martinique becasue I had bought a Fly High.

I never put it back on, because I alwasy put the pole on, regardless of tubing, skiing or boarding.

BTW it was pure PITA to take the ring and finger off. I pulled the pylon out because I was redoing the floor anyway. I mounted the pylon to a work table, popped the roll pins out ,put a big metal bar in the ring- padding was put in the ring, stood on the table, twisted, pulled,and darn near herniated myself. I used a lot of liquid wrench, let it soak for an hour or so, but that did not seem to help.

78, what method did you have? Hopefully an easier method than what I used.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

hmm, I just pulled mine off..... ...I alwasy put the pole on,.....I pulled the pylon out .... I mounted the pylon.....put a big metal bar in..... stood on the table, twisted, pulled,and darn near herniated myself. I used a lot of liquid wrench, let it soak for an hour or so, but that did not seem to help.

78, what method did you have? Hopefully an easier method than what I used.

I thought this was suppossed to be a family friendly site
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 12:32am
hey, mounting a pylon is more fun than it sounds ;)
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 10:25pm
I had to bring this one back. My pylon is only 1 3/4" and fly-high's and others do not mate correctly since they require the 2 1/2" existing pylon. I really would like to keep the original ring and finger for the sake of keeping it original. Anyone ran into this before, and if so any advice. I do not have the clearance to have a larger diameter one in place of it. I had heard there was an item that you can attach to the existing also, just don't know where to find it, or if that is the route others were forced to go.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 3:03pm
JoeinNY's Mustang had an extended pylon of some sort on it. He may be able to help you.

1 hour of liquid wrench soaking is not that long.

Nice one tnplicky!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 4:17pm
I was using a clamp on flitepipe, but even it was designed for a larger pylon than what is there to clamp onto in the mustang. I had to use bushings to get a tight clamp, I intended to eventually make better bushings but bought a 2001 to use for wakeboarding and so don't need the flitepipe anymore. Its basically forsale, however it would still need bushings, I used thick rubber mat but intended to eventually move to a nylon slit cylinder, and its expensive.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 6:38pm
I appreciate the help, it sounds like the Mustang just isn't made for wakeboarding to me, the ring and finger on mine seems to be welded on to the top also so I don't know if it's even removable. I also don't know if I have the room for the flitepipe it is pretty tight in that area....unless it attaches forward towards the stern rather than left to right?
1968 Mustang 318 CM
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 6:52pm
The flitepipe is a three inch pole that ends up in front of your current pylon towards the bow, it could be behind it I suppose but in my boat it would then hit the motor box. It does not require you to remove the ring and finger.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 7:00pm
Ok, I have never seen one before. Is that where a skylon would attach directly to then? How Much do you want for it? My email is spievy79@yahoo.com
1968 Mustang 318 CM
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 7:36pm
http://www.tachyonmotorsports.com/sdbm.html

That is the clamp on that a skylon would attach to, a flitepipe is different. A flitepipe is itself an extended pylon mine I believe is six feet tall. It comes with two clamps to hold it to the pylon as well as a strap from the top of the pylon to the front of the boat. I have lent out my working digital camera for the moment or I would get you a picture. I would let mine go for 300 plus shipping, which is expensive but less than what I paid used. I should have my camera back tomorrow so you can at least see what I am talking about.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 3:56am
brackets are still on the boat and its under a tarp covered in boat parts but heres what I could get to easily.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic