NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How far foward on trailer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 9:17pm
Roger, Your trailer guides are ready. If you want me to ship them to you it's no big deal as I have a regular UPS pickup everyday at the shop. email your address and I'll get you a cost. No need to wait til July to get them.

Also, could you post a photo of your boat from the side, to me it looks like it's too far forward. Do you know if that's a #2 or #3 trailer?
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2008 at 11:09pm
Thanks Alan,
I have emailed you my address and phone #.

I know that it is too far forward on the trailer. But currently, there is nothing to stop it when loading. There is a check and shackle that attaches to the bow eye.
I plan on launching it when it gets a bit warmer and will correctly postion it on the trailer. 10% tongue weight as you guys mentioned.
Then I will see what I can do to keep it positioned correctly.

Thanks again,
Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
nc2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 11:15am
anyway you could bend up another set for me????
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If I had to guess, I would say that the engine should be just forward (a few inches) of being centered on the axle.

Tim,

I have a double axle trailer, so should the engine be just forward of the middle of the two axles? It's too much forward now and we are going to work on the trailer this weekend.

Kristoff, I would say yes- whatever gets you to 10% tongue weight.

Well Tim, as you maybe have seen in the "Hang 'em up" topic, we did the work last weekend, and tested everything... All works fine now, even though it isn't a CC-trailer.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by nc2001 nc2001 wrote:

anyway you could bend up another set for me????

Jon or anybody interested, I would be happy to bend up a set of trailer guides for anyone that needs them. Here are the details, I am only providing the 2 pipes, you would have to cut them to width and length, and then weld on the flanges to mount them to your trailer. I'd love to be able to make complete sets but I think there are many variations of these trailers and I don't want to have any issues with them not fitting correctly. The bends I came up with seem to fit my boat well and that is what I would provide. Here are a few pics.

I will provide 2 pipes with about 8" of pipe at the bottom so you can custom fit them for your application. There are 2 sets in this photo, the flange material I used is 3/8"x 2" but I will not supply that as I'm not cutting any more of that stuff by hand, my metal working tools are minimal. Any hardware store will have it.

Here is my finished product. I've left these a little tall to accomodate steep ramps but I may trim them back once I launch a few times.

Here's what the flange looks like, I cut 6" off of mine to fit.

Anyone interested please send me an email with your address and I'll tell you what shipping will cost and where you can send your check.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Thanks Alan,
I have emailed you my address and phone #.

Thanks again,
Roger

Got it, I'll get you shipping cost monday.
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 3:17pm
That trailer looks really great....lets see some more pics.

Rob
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2008 at 12:26am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

That trailer looks really great....lets see some more pics.

Rob

Agreed! Love the details I can see in the above pics. Lets see the whole thing!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:19am
Alan,

I took some pictures & got some dimensions of my bow stop tonight. It is not put on my trailer yet, so you can see it pretty well. Here are the pictures & tomorrow when I get to work, I will draw it up with the dimensions. They do have the pywood pads to go on it. They are 6" wide x 18" tall & 3/4" plywood. Let me know if you need anything else.

I could use a set of the trailer guides sent to Duluth GA 30097. Let me know the cost & I will get you the funds if you can do them. No rush on mine!

Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:29am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I could use a set of the trailer guides sent to Duluth GA 30097. Let me know the cost & I will get you the funds if you can do them. No rush on mine!

Greg, Dimensions on the stop would be awesome, I've got the time to make a few of these up in the next few weeks. I'll get you a shipping cost for the guides tommorrow.

Thanks again.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 12:38am
Greg, Thanks for providing this info to Alan.
This is really appreciated.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 2:49am
Nice job Greg...looks super. Did you do them yourself? Very talented.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 2:59pm
Here is what I ended up doing for my trailer. It was off a Malibu, so I had a lot of modifications to make. I simly copied the CC trailer.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2748&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990
Dan
Is it Summer yet??
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:25pm
Here is a drawing of the bow stop. It is drawn for a 11" x 17" print size, but you can read it ok at 8 1/2" x 11". Let me know if you need any more dimensions.

bowstop.ZIP
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:34pm

Here is a drawing of the bow stop. It is drawn for a 11" x 17" print size, but you can read it ok at 8 1/2" x 11". Let me know if you need any more dimensions.

bowstop.ZIP

Looks like we're in bidness, guess I better get to work, Thanks again
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:46pm

bowstop.ZIP

Now this is just too cool
Let it be said that you guys are the "BEST"
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:12pm

Alan,

Greg, I sent you an email on the guides but it bounced back. Shipping cost to GA is $14 and I have a set ready to ship today. Let me know that you still want them and I'll get them out asap.

AA
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:41pm
Alan,

I just sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. I will take a set of the guides. Thanks for bending me a set.

Greg

86 BFN
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 4:04pm
Since it is tubing and being bent it is better to dimention the inside radius as that is what you need to know. Otherwise you have to subtract the tubing O.D. to figure it out.
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 5:48pm
I hav nevr met Alan, but I think he is a smart enouf guy to figr out subtratin 1 3/4" from 8" or 6".
Greg

86 BFN
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:04am
Just goofing aound and came across this...when I made my trailer guides I welded the top and bottom of the post to keep water out of them. AIR the original guides had a hole in the botom to let moisture out...mine must have clogged and they rusted away, even though the trailer was in great shape.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Just goofing aound and came across this...when I made my trailer guides I welded the top and bottom of the post to keep water out of them. AIR the original guides had a hole in the botom to let moisture out...mine must have clogged and they rusted away, even though the trailer was in great shape.

That set looks like originals , nice work. On your comment of capping the tops I agree. I capped mine a little bit differently though. I welded a nut to a large washer and welded the washer to the guide top. That allowed me to put bolt and bushing down through the PVC cap so when the boat rubs on the port guide when unloading the pvc and cover roll instead of drag. I'm hoping this will extent the life of my guide covers.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2008 at 1:28pm
Alan,

Your setup sound nice, The guides on my trailer are PVC over the metal pipe, they are a bit low and are somewhat close together, whenever launching I slide the PVC up a bit so the top does not end up under the rub rail which can occur on a steep ramp, I also remove my decorative trailer guide pads or they just get destroyed from the rub rail.

Also, my gas caps are both exactly next to the guides which makes filling up on the trailer a bit challenging, usually need to remove the PVC cover to make just enough room to get the pump nozzle into the filler, PITA.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic