Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Ski Tique motor options

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Ski Tique motor options
    Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:02am
Newbie here, Im looking at one of the Tiques on this site for sale. The owner of 9 years says the 351 is the stock motor. I had a 78 when I was younger and I only recall the 302 and 305 chevy as the only motors avaliable. Was the 351 an option on the Ski Tique?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 7:43am
Steve, You have found what looks like a nice Tique but I feel the seller is wrong on the engine. Unless it was a special from the factory, I think the engine has been swapped and it looks like some upgrades have been made. The 302 or the optional 305 was it. When you look at the boat, take a look at the prop to see if the correct rotation engine was used. It should be a right hand and have a right hand prop on it. When looking at the prop from the stern, a right hand will turn clockwise in the forward direction.

You've come to the best spot for anything to do with Correct Crafts. Welcome and keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 2:00pm
one quick way to tell the difference is to look at the intake manifold. On the 302 is not much more wider than the carb base. On the 351 you'll have a about 1.5" on each side of the carb.
skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:25pm
Im 865 miles from the boat so seeing the prop turn will create a problem, I appreciate the replies but think he may be mistaken on the motor, he said it was an option on the Tique. I'll stop by MidWest CC when I go to check the frozen lake this weekend. Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:49pm
Steve, I think the owner of the Tique for 9 years has been smoking something for even more years!! Ether that or he has been conned by the PO he got it from.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 4:28pm
there are only three things that are different between the two.

1. Block deck height, 302-3.5" and 351-4"

2. intake - 351w wide, 302 narrow

3. oil pan - bolt patterns are different.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

there are only three things that are different between the two.

1. Block deck height, 302-3.5" and 351-4"

2. intake - 351w wide, 302 narrow

3. oil pan - bolt patterns are different.

Distibutor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 5:41pm
yes that's true Tim but it is not a visual check, the drive of the oil pumps are different but you can not tell that from the outside or just by looking at the engine
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

yes that's true Tim but it is not a visual check, the drive of the oil pumps are different but you can not tell that from the outside or just by looking at the engine

Good point, but I wouldnt be looking at the bolt pattern on the oil pan to ID the engine either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic