NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer brakes
    Posted: October-26-2004 at 8:36pm
i have an 86 SN 2001 with a factory trailer. where can i get trailer brakes for it? can i get trailer brakes for it? also, where can i get new bearings for the axles?

thanks,
chris
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2004 at 10:34pm
I like UFP for brakes www.ufpnet.com The seals and bearings can be obtained from any parts store. Take one wheel off clean the 2 bearings and 1 seal with solvent and take them to the store. They should bne able to cross reference the p[art numbers on the bearings and seal.
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2004 at 12:48pm
Check your yellow pages for a bearing distributor in your area. I have a bearing distributor around here byt the name of Eire bearings that gets parts for me a lot cheaper.
1979 Ski Nautique
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2004 at 3:21pm
Atwood Mobile Products put the surge brakes on my 89 CC trailer. I like the posi-lube system that came on the stock wheel hubs. It makes it so easy to lubricate the wheel bearings and also does an excellent job of sealing the bearings againt water and dirt intrusion. They have a website you can look at.
hyper1685 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyper1685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2004 at 10:02pm
Can i install the brakes myself? all of the brakes i have seen are universal; do how do i know what to get? electric, surge or hydrolic?

Thanks,
Chris
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2004 at 1:22pm
All brakes are hydraulic. The hydraulic system is either activated electrically or via trailer surge. Electrically activated brakes require specialized systems or wiring in the tow vehicle whereas surge brakes do not. Hence surge brakes are more widely used/common.

It all depends on how handy you are with tools whether or not you can install the brakes yourself. Only you can answer that question, special tools may or may not required. Welding may be required.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2004 at 1:42pm
Just an FYI - My last trailer had electric brakes. They apply brake force with a magnet in the assembly that is controlled with a brake controller in the truck (usually wired into the brake lights.) There were no hydraulic components in it at all. This doesn't apply to electric over hydraulic.
gjsullivan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjsullivan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2004 at 4:39am
try

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Great site, good stuff, great self help instructions and tech support.

You may want to look at disk brakes.

Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic