Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with rotting deck?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nagasaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagasaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with rotting deck?
    Posted: October-21-2004 at 9:28pm
Have an 88 2001 that is nearly perfect...except the floor is spongy underneath the passenger seat. Water must stay here as no air can get between the seat base and the deck. The soft spot is about 1.5 feet in diameter. Is it wise to try and patch just the soft spot? If so, do I tear it out or just try to cover it with some fresh fiberglass or epoxy or whatever?

Or do I let it go until its a problem and do the entire deck at that time.

Thanks.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2004 at 1:13pm
On such a small area, I would carefully peel back the carpet, then cut out the fiberglass and see what is going on. I am not sure how an '88 is built, but if like my '77 and '93, then the fiberglass floor is laid directly over structural foam. If this is the case, cut out the bad spot, look for water (if present leave in sun for several weeks to dry as much as possible), then grind back the remaining edge to a 12:1 taper and layup new fiberglass mat/woven roving (alternating - starting and ending with mat) directly on top of the foam. After you get the layup close, you can fair it out with thickened resin (I do not like using Bondo as it is relatively week). I suggest you use Epoxy whenever making fiberglass repairs/patches. Just make sure you use FG mat suitable for epoxy (it IS different as the epoxy will not disolve the binder in regular mat).

I hope this is not too confusing and feel free to email me directly with questions.
KennethB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennethB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2004 at 3:25pm
I have restored several 88' 2001 boats. There is some wood underneath the fiberglass on the port and starboard side floor. This portion of the floor usually has an air pocket in the foam created from the way the foam was injected underneath the floor in the older boats. I would recommend that you remove just that section but I would go ahead and remove accross the starboard side as well. I would also refill the void in the foam after you dry everything out before replacing the fiberglass. You can purchase A/B liquid foam at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you need anymore help email me and I can fax you a diagram on what needs to be cut out.
jbenbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbenbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2004 at 8:35pm
I have a 88 that needs some work, can you send me that diagram of where wood is in floor? Much appreciated. jbenbri@yahoo.com
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2004 at 9:33pm
Check out rotdoctor.com. Dr.Rot has some great products I am currently using on my 1968 Chris Craft.Lots of restoration materials and technical advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic