NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting the Hull

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting the Hull
    Posted: October-15-2004 at 12:47pm
I'm on the process on sanding imron paint (that is a different color from the hull) off my 1971 Ski Nautique. There is not enough gelcoat left to refinish, so I am given the option of regelcoating or repainting the hull bottom and sides).   Can anyone give me a recommendation on what type of paint I should use?
Thanks
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 1:42pm
You should use Imron (Dupont's polyurethane enamel) or its equivalent.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:13pm
scott,i'm with david.i did the barracuda with imron and love it ! it,s a good hard finish if it's done rite.BUT..   today,there is 2 different types of dupont imron on the market. the 500. and the 500s   one is just a cheaper grade,and cost much less. use the better grade and whatever you do.DONOT let anybody tell you you can use lacquer type primer .you'll be wasting your $$$ if you need any help,give me a call 859-824-1740
kenny g
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:21pm
I repainted my 66 mustang about 12 years ago (it's in the diaires). I didn't use Imron, but it has held up very well. I painted the hull, let it dry for three days, wet sanded, drew my stripes and wording, masked it off and painted the blue and red. Then I let it dry for two days and clear coated everything. I put plenty of hardener in the clear to give it a tough finish. I made sure all the solvent had escaped before overlapping by letting it really dry. Trapped solvent will pop off the clear. I used 3m's masking tape called the edge, it gives excellent hard edge lines. If you ever used vinyl treatment on the interior, be sure to degrease (prep wash)where people might have stepped on the fiberglass or you'll get fish eyes.
Tim D
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 5:47pm
TIM D we are not talking acrylic enamel here.
polyurethane enamel is chemicaly activated.a set amount of paint and activator are used only.unlike acrylics,imron has a short potlife.once it cures,this finish is much harder than acrylic lacquer.but lacquers,and acrylics dull/fade over time,polyurethanes don't.acrylics are thinned,reduced,hardners added,blushing chemicals added [when spraying in damp weather ]at $65 a quart for imron activater,adding more wont do a thing to make the finish any harder.
kenny g
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 6:20pm
I had to look at the cans, the colors are acylic enamel and the clear is urethane with a hardener or activater or whatever you want to call it. I don't paint cars, only 1 boat. As far as measurements, a body shop told me to put a little extra hardener in but not way too much or it will not cure. The paint I used is not made any more and the Imron is more popular. My sorry choice of words,"plenty" should have been written as precise, exact measurement, don't be short,don't cheat yourself.
Tim D
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2004 at 10:58pm
ScottZ,
A buddy of mine rebuilds old Lyman wood boats.
I've seen him redo the entire hull, replacing rotted wood and all the screws. He then has them painted with Awlgrip. http://www.awlgrip.com/
It really comes out looking like a new fiberglass boat.
Not sure how expensive or how many people do it, just thought I'd pass it on.
Good luck!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2004 at 3:43pm
Awlgrip is a brand name (similiar to Dupont). I believe Awlgrip makes a urethane paint similiar to Imron (product name), but I am not certain of its name. Awlgrip specializes in marine finish systems of many types.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic