Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2024 at 9:44am
Resurrecting an old thread on carpet.  I did some searching on correctcraftfan using google and turned up this thread and some others.  This seemed to have the most info on installation but leaves a couple of questions.

Measuring my boat I end up with the following largest dimensions.  Carpeted floor is 16' x 5'-9" from up under the bow to the corners at the stern.  Sides are 16'-4" x 18", the 18" gets me well up under the side's turn down at the highest location.  Using those, a 33' x 6' piece would get the interior done.  Figure I would order 35' x 6' just to be sure.  Thoughts on the amount of carpet to order?

I saw various discussions on handling the side to floor seam.  Some use the existing trim, which I have and is in decent shape.  Not real happy with how that looks in the boat.

Some seem to use no trim, just cut the the sides to the floor and then cut the floor to the sides.  I think this is my preferred method.  Anyone that's done this, how did it turn out and hold up?

The final method I saw was to run the floor and sides in one piece.  Not sure how that is possible unless you split an 8'-6" piece in the middle and have a seam up front, starting at the pylon and going to the bow.  Only a short section of the seam would really be exposed right there at the foot of the observers seat.  You could buy an 8'-6" piece and put a seam across the boat somewhere around the front of the engine box.  Another option would be to center the 8'-6" piece and run it up the sides as high as it goes, for my boat that would work out to about 16" up the sides, which I think is just enough to hide the edge under the side's turn down.  Any way you install this method, getting it to neatly lay up the sides without a wrinkle seems tricky, especially at the tighter side curve as you get toward the dash area.  I like this method since there's no side to floor seam to fail but I expect it's hard to do.  Anyone installed floor and sides in one piece and how did you do it?

My carpet came out in tiny pieces so no template to use.  If I cut the sides separately, my thought is to rough out the carpet shape for the floor slightly large and glue it mostly down, trim to fit, then glue the edges.

Thanks
Andrew

Builder
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 6:24am
Your measurements leave no extra carpet for any of the panels- the most concerning is the rear removable floor panel. I would not count on the floor piece to have enough for that panel in the cut out piece between the sides. There is also the rear panel in front of the gas tank and the 2 panels enclosing the front air box area in front of the driver. I’ve always ordered about 50’ of 6’ wide carpet to account for it all.

The only thing I’d consider deviating on from the factory job is the rear removable panel trim, it’s hard to get that fitting and looking right. Wrapping the edges on both the side floor and panel is easier and leaves you with a nice finished look (this is how cc did it from the mid 90’s forward). Those that leave the floor/wall transition untrimmed always looks unfinished to me, especially up close. I would imagine there are runs to contend with as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 9:07am
I was planning to wrap the floor panel and had not really thought that through.  The cut out carpet won't be large enough for sure, so that's an extra four feet or so.  The back panel adds another 3'.  I won't have an air box, so nothing needed there.

I will also have to shim the floor that's epoxied to the stringers up a 1/8" or so to account for the additional thickness of the wrap on the removable floor panel because I can't actually wrap under the epoxied down floor panel before I install it, I can only turn the carpet down onto the edge.  

I could thin down the underside of the epoxied floor panel an 1/8" deep and a 1/2" back where it lands on the stringer top and then push the carpet under the panel and into that slot with a knife.  This detail gets a bit complicated...

Builder
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 9:27am
It would help to remind us which boat you are talking about as it’s hard to keep things straight…

Assuming this is for a 86SN, the panel is supported by the main stringers so it shouldn’t sit proud unless you wrapped the carpet 8”+ underneath.

The same is not true for a BFN or any 89+ SN, where the panels sit on a ledge or angle aluminum on the secondary stringers- but even then, the amount the panel sits proud isn’t something I would worry about.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 10:32am
My boat's a 86 Silver Nautique.  Looking at a photo before I took up the floors, there was no ledge at the transition from floor panel to fixed floor on my boat, per your comment.  I figured the old vinyl transition strip was doing some support work.  Without it I was worried that someone could step on the outside edge of the panel and it would move or tilt since it had no support underneath, so I added a 1/2" ledge of Coosa to create a seat. 

Sounds like a ledge of some kind is what's done with newer boats.  Wish I had thought of the aluminum angle, could run the carpet down the stringer and trap it between the stringer and the aluminum angle.  Also would be easy to set the angle to the right height.

I think I will just cut the 1/2" Coosa ledge off and use the aluminum angle idea.  Probably only take a half hour to cut the ledge off and sand the area flat again.  Issue solved, thanks for the discussion!

Builder
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2024 at 10:50am
I wouldn’t expect any meaningful deflection of the panel in that 6” wide overhang of the exhaust pockets. The carpet trim certainly wasn’t doing anything structurally to help. Any support you add for the panel (again, unnecessary IMO) will infringe on your exhaust (especially the widest point of the mufflers), so be careful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic