Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Fix?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bizy Boarding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizy Boarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Fix?
    Posted: October-08-2007 at 4:38pm
I have a 1994 Ski Nautique and have had an issue with my throttle since I bought it 2 years ago, but have just been dealing with it. When cruising at a speed between 20-30 mph the throttle will throw back to almost neutral position if I let go of the throttle. I would love to be able to use both hands on the wheel when pulling my wakeboarders or even have a cup of coffee while I drive. Is there an easy fix to this? Shouldn't it stay put when I let go?

Bizy Boarding
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 5:16pm
Do you have a perfect pass or other speed control device?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizy Boarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 5:29pm
No I do not. I did see a few replies from similar questions. One solution is to look at the return spring on the carb and the other is a kinked cable. I hope its not the cable. My only issue is....Its already winterized and I have no way of testing it. I may not be able to truly fix my problem until next summer. Any thoughts?
Bizy Boarding
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 5:44pm
Bizy,
This has been discussed a few times here. There are some here, such as myself, that feel the throttle dropping back to idle speed is normal and designed as such from the manufacturer. If I was driving and had an incapacitating accident, I want the boat to come to idle on it's own before it does so against someone elses boat or property at 30+MPH potentially injuring others. It's a safety issue with me. I personally feel that a driver should be concentrating on steering and throttle input for his skiier. Not trying to figure out how to drink with both hands full. I don't care what the beverage of choice is. You have more than enough time for a drink between passes, sets and skiiers.

There are also those that are of the same intent as you. You can put springs of less tension on the carburator throttle return and most throttle mechanism's have a friction adjustment on them to keep the throttle in place. You would have to probably remove the throttle/shift lever from the helm to adjust that. Another option that you have is invest in a Perfect Pass.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizy Boarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 6:00pm
Eddie,
I understand your thoughts. I guess if my steering wasn't so tight on the turns I wooulnd't need both hands to make the turn. I guess maybe my steering shoud be fixed first and then I wouldn't care so much about the throttle. Any thoughts on the steering? Its so tight when turning.
Bizy Boarding
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 6:57pm
Well, now you come to the real root of the problem. Is it only underway or while it's just sitting or both?

Disconnect the steering cable from the rudder assembly and try turning the rudder by hand. Should nice and smooth and pretty easy to do. You can then try cycling the steering wheel while the cable is still disconnected. That should also be nice and smooth and very easy. If it's difficult, then disconnect the cable from the helm and cycle the steering wheel. If it's still really hard, the helm is the issue, but normally, the cable needs replacing. The steering should be very easy and smooth through the entire range of motion. Steering cables commonly need replacement.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizy Boarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 7:00pm
I'll give it a try. One stupid question.... What/where is the "Helm"?
Bizy Boarding
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 7:14pm
The helm can be generally referred to as the drivers cockpit.

In this case it's the steering wheel assembly itself that is attached to the dashboard. Some of the newer helms can have adjustments on them if they are the cause of your hard steering problems. Not sure if yours would have an adjustment or not. Somebody else might have to chime in about that.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 7:22pm
One other thing Biz;

If it is the cable, don't mess around with it. Get it fixed. If you keep trying to use it, the cable will eventually break and you could be in a for a really big surpise if it happens while underway at even a quarter throttle. The boat will go wherever it wants to and there isn't a thing you can do about it except get it stopped.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizy Boarding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2007 at 7:27pm
I guess thats a bigger issue I need to address. Thanks for the help. I will look into the steering First!
Bizy Boarding
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic