NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

273 Chrysler Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 273 Chrysler Question
    Posted: September-27-2004 at 1:24am
Does anyone out there have a 273 Chrysler V8 in a Correct Craft? My buddy Marshall picked up the near perfect '70 Mustang that was on e-bay last month. It's an original 200 HP 4V engine. Never having run one of these before I'm not or wasn't sure what to expect. The boat came with a 12x14 prop which I thought was a bit much with only 200 HP, plus the boat has less out-of-hole power than I expected, but it's only 273 CI's afterall. So I don't know if it's just tired (haven't done a compression check yet) as there are no signs or info regarding a rebuild. It does however, manage to turn the 12x14 4500 RPM and runs a good 46 mph, and I can't see dropping to a 12x13 prop and turning 4800. I'd just like to know if I'm expecting more low end power than 273 can muster or if everything is normal as the top end is somehow outstanding.
-Reid     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2004 at 9:12pm
I'm a little suprised to hear that a '70 Mustang came with a 273. As I remember, 1969 was the last year Chrysler offered the 273. They went with the 318 and 340 in 1970. I could be wrong but I doubt it. The 340 is a bored out 273 so appearance is the same. The 340 was a powerhouse.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2004 at 2:23am
Jim,
You're right about the availability in regards to autos, but Chrysler as well as Ford and GM continued to provide certain engines for sometime after they were discontinued in autos. And this one is surely a 273 based on the engine ID tag on the bellhousing, which according to Chrysler's serial number series placed it as a '70 model engine. I've seen them also in CC's as late as 71-72.
Thanks,
Reid
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2004 at 8:56pm
Wow. Well, it's always good to learn something.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic