NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering / Rudder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering / Rudder
    Posted: September-22-2004 at 9:14pm
I hope I don't wear this board out before I get my boat in top shape...

After changing props I noticed, this week-end, that turning to the right required very heavy pull on the steering wheel (on my '68 Mustang). It was less noticible with my old prop. I just noticed, while my boat is on the trailer, that when I turn the wheel full right the rudder is only slightly turned as opposed to when I turn the wheel full left where the rudder is turned to about a 45 degree angle. Are there any specs that indicate how far the rudder should turn in each direction? Does the rudder have to be adjusted to compensate for prop wake?
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 1:51am
Pull the back seat up, and physically watch the tiller arm move back and fro. Detach the rudder cable, and move the tiller. Don't assume anything, Question the obvious. Mine is a r.h. rotation, and my rudder turns the same amount in both directions, 1 and 1/2 revolutions of the wheel to the left, and 1 and 1/2 reva. to the right.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 2:09am
What you have sounds normal. When someone replaced my rudder before I bought the boat they centered the rudder. When I used it I had 1 turn right and 3 turns left. Luckily I had aomeone close by with the same boat. I adjusted the rudder to the way his was and saw pretty much what you are seeing now.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2004 at 2:36am
Wow. Who woulda thought?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic