Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

holley question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cshire View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: holley question
    Posted: September-21-2004 at 11:37pm
Okay, so I rebuilt the holley on my '77 martinique.

Now for the problems...I can't get it to run properly again. I can only get it started by really pumping the throttle and it will only keep running at about 1/4 or so throttle, it won't idle at all.

When it is running, it is very smoky - indicating running way to rich?

I have tried adjusting the idle set screws to no avail.

Where should I start to try to get this beast running for the few remaining weeks of our michigan indian summer.

supra87 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supra87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2004 at 12:33am
Check your floats and seats for being stuck. Happened to me on my first rebuild.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2004 at 11:08am
On the driver side, there should be a brass screw on the side of the bowl. This is the fuel level sight hole. While the boat is running check the fuel level with the screw out. If fuel is running out the hole, the float is too high. On top, there should be a screw with a jam nut.(where needle valve is) Loosen the jam nut and turn the screw counterclockwise to lower the float until fuel will not spill out the hole, then tighten the jam nut while holding the screw in place.
Tim D
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2004 at 6:09pm
If its a 4 barrel check the back sight hole as well.
1979 Ski Nautique
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2004 at 9:13pm
I noticed when I did this is that if you use a PCV spacer the gasket set you typically buy for a carb at a auto parts store won't be big enough for one side of the PCV spacer, I had a big vacuum leak and it sounds just like your problem. Take the PCV spacer off if you use one and lay the gasket on both sides and see if it covers completely.
andy99san View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy99san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2005 at 3:00pm
have a look at the choke plates is it a heat riser type or electical type they seldom work properly and the motor wont run well if they are shut up.
i had a similar problem on my 78 disaster craft when i first got it, black smoke and strugling to run if it whould start at all.
i removed the choke plate completly and it ran great ever since, three pumps on the throttle from cold and it just fired up and would idle after about 15 seconds
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2005 at 6:15pm
power valve , any parts store got it , numbers on the side
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic