NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how much horsepower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much horsepower
    Posted: September-04-2004 at 2:52am
If the stock 351 gives a peak of 240hp at 4600 rpms, how much would it put out at 2300. Assuming no modifications are done to the engine, is there a formula used to figure it out, or do I need to cruch the numbers thru a Dyno program?
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2004 at 3:56am
To answer your question, yes, this can be computed, but there are about 85 variables in the mix. Probably be a whole lot simpler to call PCM and ask for a copy of the horsepower/torque curves for the engine.

I am sure you have seen these before in hot rod mags.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to know the mid-range hp?
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2004 at 1:52pm
For a crude backup to a fuel guage. In my truck, I use the odometer and in the aircraft we use basic fuel consumption chart /drag charts. It may not work, but my thinking is based on an engine needs .5 lbs of fuel/horsepower/hour to deliver peak horsepower. Regular gas weighs approx 6 lbs a gallon. On paper I get 240 hp at +/- 4600 RPM. (240)(.5)= 120 / 6 = 20 gallons/hour at WOT. This works out to be more or less accurate in reality.
     Cruising at 2300, I am curious if I could make it to a place on the river and back without needing a tow or extra Jerry cans. Not a lot of refuel options in the wildlife refuge.
     I know there are many varibles but I didn't know if anyone already knew the numbers for a stock engine and standard day parameters. Its trivial but I had some down time and started pondering....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic