FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Vibration - Left-hand turns

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Vibration - Left-hand turns
    Posted: July-09-2007 at 2:53pm
On my '94 Ski Nautique (500 hrs) I have this loud vibration coming from my rudder when I make left-hand turns going over 30 mph. It's quiet going straight or when making right-hand turns at this speed but when turning left it makes a pretty lound noise. At first I thought it might be the shaft or prop but it's definetly the rudder.

When out of the water I can move the rudder about 1/8" back and forth. Can this be tightened or is it worn?

Thanks,
Keith

Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 3:30pm
Keith, which direction does the rudder have play? If its up and down, that can be tightened up with the packing nut. Lateral play may require replacement of the port or rudder. Very strange that it only occurs when you turn left!
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 5:32pm
May just need a turn on the packing nut. Or new packing material. Can't quite remember, but I thought you could shim the rudder up/ down by using washers...it's been a while...
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 7:46pm
I'll give it another shake tonight to see which direction it moves.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 4:00pm
Hi

Not sure of your set up Keith,but I like to see a safety collar on top of stukking box.If you get a split collar you can force it down the rudder shaft to get all up and down play out of the rudder,this will usually stop any vibs from the rudder.

Good luck Munday
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 6:21pm
Did that on the other 90's CC's i drove. Even when it was brand new.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Did that on the other 90's CC's i drove. Even when it was brand new.

The vibration he's experiencing is definitely not normal.
Hamlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 1:19pm
I have the same vibration in my '94 with 375 hours. I will check the rudder and see if I have similar free play as you do.
Hamlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 10:42pm
I checked my rudder. There is virtually no play up-down, fore-aft, or port-stbd. There is about 0.2" play in what I assume to be the steering linkage left and right measured at the trailing edge of the rudder.

For comparison, I looked at the rudder on my '85 Ski Supreme sitting next to it which has about 1/4' to 3/8" play in all directions and I don't ever remember it having the type of vibration we seem to be having.

I did a quick check of the prop shaft alignment a month or so ago when replacing the shaft packing, and noticed that my strut bearings are worn. Do you think that could be the issue?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 11:58am
I'm surely not any kind on engineer, but the forces generated on the propshaft, prop, rudder and strut in forward and then reverse could certainly cause weird issues like that if anything is the slightest bit worn or out of kilter. I definitely agree with Tim though. That vibration is not normal.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2007 at 1:48pm
I first thought it was the shaft bushing but I have zero play in the shaft. I also pulled the floor and laid down with my ear back there and feel pretty confident it's the rudder.

Before I said 1/8" of play in the rudder, it might be more like 1/16" - not much as all. That's lateral play. Vertical play is probably 1/32".

I hope to have the boat over to Brad's (Barracuda) house next week where Tim (TRBenj) and Brad can take a look at it for another opinion.

I can live with the noise this season, just want to make sure I'm not doing more damage.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Hamlin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 2:28am
Did the 3 of you determine the source of the vibration?

I ordered new prop shaft bushings last week from SkiDim that should be here tomorrow. (I need them anyway even if it isn't the problem) I'll let you know if it changes anything.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:49pm
Hamilin, let us know how this goes. I will be trying out a new prop in the next week or two. We'll see if this makes it better.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 1:03pm
Chicks dig vibrations, I would just leave it alone!!
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:31pm
Great advice! When I take the GF out on the next "evening" cruise I'm using the bent prop.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:39pm
I know Tim and Keith know a lot more about this than I do, but I've been told by several CC owners that that is the "Nautique Sound." Mine sure does it. I dropped the rudder and put in new bushings and repacked the seal last winter. I had the rudder checked to see if it was bent (Richard at skidim once told me that any time you've got the rudder out you should check it because all those power slides can bend them slightly). Mine still makes the sound. It's not anything more than slightly interesting to me.

Sounds like yours is more than slightly interesting though. I'm interested in what you find out...
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:57pm
There is definitely more noise turning to one side in all inboards. This is due to increased pressure caused by the rotation of the prop in combination to the forces from the boat turning. When turning with the rotation of the prop (let's see ... left turns with right-hand rotation or right turns with left-hand rotation. I think that's correct), the shaft will rub against the hull and/or against the strut bushing more than when going straight.

My issue is not normal however. It seems far too loud. Woodie at SECC thinks it could be my prop putting out irregular turbulence. Tim is going to let me borrow one of his props to see if it goes away. I'll let everyone know what I find.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2007 at 12:23am
I'm happy to tell everyone that Tim let me borrow a ACME 470 for the NE Reunion weekend and all vibration was gone.

When I went to take off the old prop, I found it was not seated -- I took the nut off and the prop slid right off. So this was the obvious cause for the vibration.

Needless to say, I won't be putting on the old prop.

BTW - loved the ACME 470. Would highly recommend it.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic