Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition problem?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phbrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition problem?
    Posted: July-22-2004 at 12:37pm
I have an '84 2001 that has been a great boat. Went to run it yesterday after sitting for a month. Cranked the ignition and it wouldn't turn over. Tried 4 or 5 times and nothing. I thought I would try it one more time and it wouldn't turn over but when I turned the key off, the engine continued to crank. I had to let the battery die. I got the battery tested and it was bad. When I went to connect the new battery it sparked at the connectors so I just disconnected it. Any advice would be great.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 12:45pm
sounds like a starter/solenoid issue to me.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:25pm
Let me get this straight, the starter was cranking the engine and you left it this way until the battery died! If so, you should consider removing the starter and having it rebuild immmediately as you surely overheated it.

In the first sentence you say it would NOT turn over, yet you then say it would just continue to crank. "turn over" and "crank" is the same thing. Did you mean it would crank, but not fire or start?

Sounds like your ignition switch is shot...replace it.
phbrown View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 8:03pm
The problem was just a bad battery from what I can tell. I cleaned the connections at the starter relay and put in a new battery and it fired up with no hesitation.
trauski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 4:03pm
It was definitly more than a bad battery. bad batteries dont have enough juice to turn an engine over. bad starters draw a bunch of extra juice from a good battery and make it a bad battery rather quickly depending on age of battery. you could have a bad starter or ignition. sounds like ignition. if you jump the ignition with a screw driver and the boat starts as long as you leave screw driver on contacts starter cranks. sounds like your igniton is sticking. try tightening the nut on back of keyed ignition switch to make sure whole ignition is not turning as you turn key. this happens if it gets loose. also spray wd-40 or lock ease graphite into key hole so it lets off starter when you let off key. or maybe whole igniton is bad??
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2004 at 1:33pm
I would not recomend using graphite lockease in the ignition switch because if it gets to the contacts in the switch it could cause a problem in which the boat will not shut off or stop cranking. But i would suspect you have a bad starter relay and the starter should be looked at to make sure it did not get damaged with the excessive cranking. Your points were probably had some corrosion on them and they cleaned them selves off when you started with a fresh battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic