Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem installing new prop axle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rust View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem installing new prop axle
    Posted: July-21-2004 at 9:11pm
Ok, here's the deal..

The propeller axle loosened from the engine, probably the fastening was worned out.

So we ordered a new axle.

|__ __| A
|_|B
   |
   | C
   |
   * D

This is my illustration of the axle and how its fastened to the transmission box, how it looks if you open the engine cover and look down at it.

A is the transmission box
B is the fastening
C is the axle
D is the prop

In A there are two bolts that goes down to fasten the axle. Altough there are no holes in the axle we bought the the bolts can go in to (The old one is messed up soo we cant look there). Are we supposed to drill new holes or doesnt it need to be any?

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2004 at 10:34pm
The 2 bolts just hold the shaft into the coupler. You do not need any holes drilled. After you fasten the shaft to the coupler make sure you align it with the transmission. Tryan has posted a great writeup search for alignment
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2004 at 11:24pm
RUST,i'm going to give this my best shot.
B is the coupler
C is the prop/drive shaft.
the coupler is attached to the shaft with 2 set screws and a keyway to keep the coupler from spinning on the shaft.the 2 halves of the coupler are bolted together with 4 bolts and locknuts. BUT this is where engine alignment is critical.0.02 gap,with a feeler gauge between the 2 coupler halves.read engine alignment proceedures on this forum.if the alignment is not exactly correct youll have a lot of vibration in the boat and may damage your new shaft.
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:34pm
Rust:

I STRONGLY suggest that you dimple the prop shaft to prevent the shaft from pulling out of the coupler when backing down hard. No problem when going forward as the prop shaft is pushed into the coupler. However, when reversing, the prop is trying to pull the shaft out of that coupler. I have seen this happen many times with the end result of a mangled prop when it hits the rudder.

Dimpling of the shaft will prevent the shaft from pulling out and NOT weaken the shaft. Make sure you safety wire the set screws so they cannot work loose.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 5:44pm
thats the best advice i've heard all week !
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic