Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oilchanges, what pump do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
steven View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oilchanges, what pump do you use?
    Posted: July-19-2004 at 7:06pm
Hey i got a 2001 air nautique witht he pcm gt-40 engine i was wondering the only way without making a mess to change the oil is with a pump right? To suck the oil out that is.

Any hints/tricks or other thoughts would be great.

Steven
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 7:27pm
i been thinkin about this.
i'd like to take out the oil drain plug on my 318.drill a hole in the center.run a tap through it & screw in a barbed fitting with a 2 ' hose&plug on the end.just stick it through the bildge drain hole under the boat when it's oil change time.
any reason why this wont work ?
how much crankcase/oil pressure would be on that fitting ? 40-60 psi max.you could add a petcock or butterfly valve inline to hold back the oil pressure.what do you guys think ?
kenny g
steven View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 7:42pm
I say just use the pump, stick it in, pump it out your done.

Steven
ricktrav View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 8:35pm
look for a oil line that has a cap on it. puu the plug stick the oil line out of it and take off the cap. if you don't have that oil line i would get one so that on your next oil change it's going to be easy. hope this helps
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 10:39pm
I beleive SKDIM sells the part for about 25.00 Well worth it Just warm the engine. Push the hose through the drain plug take the end off and put it in a container. take 20 minute beer break. Recap and add new oil and filter.
steven View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 12:44pm
What about the ones which you put down the dipstick tube?

Seems easier, im just worried about having the plug leak or something messy.

ANy links or pics?

Im looking at the tempo self pump,

Steven

PS i heard it works great, any idea how much oil the gt40 takes?
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 2:27pm
I have a plug attached that has about a 2' hose on the end. Simply unscrew cap and push through drain hole. Much easier than the pump thing. Did that once and said not anymore!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 5:08pm
The pump are horrible! Get the drain hose with cap. Note that you put the hose with cap intact through the bilge drain hole, then remove the cap to drain into oil container. When not in use, the hose is routed to the top of the engine and normally zip tied to the alternator adjustment arm. Did I say pumps suck (pun intended)?
Steven View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 5:09pm
To bad by boat is in the lake all year, so its from the top.

Steven
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 11:29pm
Tried the pump on my buddies boat last weekend. He warmed up the motor, sucked the oil out, and just to see if any oil was left, we took out the drain plug. No oil left, worked great, Fram sells a quick connect drain, but my oil pan has a 5/8-20 tpi thread. I plan on installing a 3/8" nipple into the plug hole, threaded on to that a 3/8" ball valve, with a plug in the end. Take the plug out, screw in the hose, out the drain hole into a pan, turn the valve on!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2004 at 4:01pm
Steven:

With the hose, just locate a shallow pan somewhere low in the bilge and put the end of the hose in it...easy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic