Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering wheel play drives me nuts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering wheel play drives me nuts
    Posted: July-18-2004 at 11:05am
Question: Does Correct Craft's Teleflex steering come sloppy from the factory? My '97 Nautique (with tilt) (280 hours) (bought it third hand) has significant play in the steering. Shop said to replace cable/rack. This made steering smooth but had no effect on the play. The rudder system seems tight, rear cable bracket seems tight. Next step is to replace pinion gear or tilt mechanism. Correct Craft factory says there is no way these can be that worn at only 280 hours. Local shop says a certain amount of play is to be expected, but they will gladly sell me the parts. I say that there should be NO PLAY expected on a boat that costs that much, especially since my friend's Supra has no play and feels like silk. Are all of you people out there putting up with sloppy steering, or is there a fix? Surely mine is not the only Nautique with this problem! Thanks.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2004 at 5:43pm
I have a 2000SN with 1250 hours on it and the steering is tight. They replaced the cable at about 900 hours but I have no play in the steering.
TRAUSKI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAUSKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 8:49pm
are we talking play or are we talking nuetral steering. i have driven some 97 nautiqes that have some major nuetral steering issues and i think correct craft was putting them out that way. i suppose play to me would be turning the wheel over an inch with out anything happening. nuetral steering would be constant correction to keep the boat straight especially in the slalom course with a big slalom skier.if its the latter file down the rudder on one side. dont ask me which side ask your dealer and then ask someone else to verify your dealers answer so you dont file the wrong side.
harry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 9:31pm
I'm talking steering PLAY of over 1 inch (probably more like 2) that, of course, magnifies the neutral steering issue that you mentioned. Surely somebody out there must have dealt with this problem that can point me in the right direction. I'm mechanically very proficient, but I'm no boat expert. Is there perhaps some key point that you would need actual Correct Craft experience to figure out? Thanks for any leads!
FinsofFury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinsofFury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2004 at 3:14pm
I just got rid of an 87 Supra and it was TIGHT! I replaced cable 5yrs ago and it was great! My "new" 96 Sport Naughty(w/ 102hrs) is a little sloppy and that is about the ONLY complaint I have with it.
chuck 91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck 91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 5:43pm
I have a 97 nautique got it in 9-97 had 250hrs on it then now has 1800 hrs it has always had netral steering and a lot of play in the wheel I have replaced the steering cable 4 times over the years and that usually took most of the play out but this last time it didn't help much it has about 3" of play it's real hard to keep a straight line in the course. it seems like most of the play is comming from the helm between the steering wheel and the rack I am trying to find this part online because there is no longer a nautique dealer in the denver area has anybody replaced the helm (with a tilt wheel) and did it take any of the play out?
CG
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2006 at 9:06pm
If you guys have only been replacing the cable to address this, you might also look at the "U" joint connecting the tilt to the helm unit. It's kind of a wierd split ball thing the helm shaft connects into. This can work open and loosen up the fit. I also recently rebushed the t*tl shaft as the wave washer in there was smashed also. Glad I pulled it all apart cuz I was looking at a helm and cable assembly also and this was just a little sweat time.
harryhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harryhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 9:08am
[QUOTE=chuck 91] I have a 97 nautique got it .....]
Chuck,
Since purchasing my 97, I have driven probably 10 other Correct Crafts, from brand new to pretty old. Every one of them had some play in the steering (neutral steering be damned, I'm talking PLAY), some a little more, some a little less. Ironically, almost every owner and salesman either said it was either designed that way, or they never notice it, or that it didn't bother them, etc. I sold my boat to the local ski club last year, and they had no issue with the play, said that all Correct Crafts had some, installed Perfect Pass, and swear that the boat is the best in their fleet (including brand new ones; something about the "spray coming off the side at lines shorter than 28 off", which is NEVER going to relate to me). Yes, I replaced the pinion gear, and it didn't help much. Yes, the tilt mechanism is adjustable, and I did adjust it, and it helped a tiny bit. So, I gave up. I have to agree with a previous post: this is really the only thing that I DISLIKED about the boat (well, that, and the fact that I had to mount U-brackets on the transom so that I could tie the darn thing to a dock). Good luck.
this is now the second day of the rest of your life
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 5:56pm
My 94 had some steering slop and I'm pretty sure all of it comes from slop in the rear attachment point for the steering cable. Not the cable end that mounts to the tiller, but rather the sheath of the cable that mounts to the stringer under the rear floor board. I think ski-dim has a clamping apparatus (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6301335) that would be much tighter, and in my application, eliminate nearly all of the steering slop.

Unfortunately this is all theory since I haven't implemented this mod on my boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic