NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark at coil !! 12volts at coil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
logicsound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark at coil !! 12volts at coil
    Posted: March-25-2007 at 10:09am
1986 Martinique 351 windsor, points ignition.
I am getting no spark from the coil, I replaced the coil, but still no spark. I get 12 volts at the coil on each side (postive of meter and negitive on ground) Is this right? I undersatnd getting 12 volts on the postive side but the negative side?? replaced coil with new one with resistor built in and bypassed resistor, replaced coil wire with one I know works. Please help, its 80 degrees here and the family is dieing to get on the water.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 11:10am
A few people have had similar problems recently. The search button is your friend:

Thread 1

Thread 2

The (-) side of the coil will have varying voltage depending on whether the points are open (0V) or closed (12V). The (+) side of the coil should always have 12V on it now that you have bypassed the resistor.

Since youve replaced the coil, its likely the problem lies in the distributor. Does the rotor spin when you crank the motor? Have you replaced the points recently? Youll want to verify that the distributor is functional first, but you may want to consider replacing the points with EI.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 11:39am
ok thanks, yes I did read both of those posts and they did help a little bit but I am getting no spark from my coil so correct me if I am wrong but why would I look at the dist. when I am not getting spark from the coil. Yes the rotor spins when I crank it, new battery. have not touched anything with the dist. but if Im not getting any spark out of the coil then the problem must be from there back right? thanks, elect. conversion on its way but need to fix spark.

Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by logicsound logicsound wrote:

correct me if I am wrong but why would I look at the dist. when I am not getting spark from the coil. Yes the rotor spins when I crank it, new battery. have not touched anything with the dist. but if Im not getting any spark out of the coil then the problem must be from there back right?

Nope- simply put, the coil will only send a spark when the distributor tells it to.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2007 at 1:07pm
ok thanks for all your help, going to order the conversion kit monday, hope this fixes it. I noticed that the conversion kit at skidimm is 149 and the kit at amarket.com is 70. is there a difference?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic