NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rich/Unburnt Fuel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rich/Unburnt Fuel
    Posted: May-06-2024 at 11:46pm
Ken posted this today to help another owner, some applies to what you want to do so Thank Ken when you have time.

"A fuel pressure gauge for fuel injected engines will come in kinda handy.

A test kit from Harbor Freight is pretty reasonable and has the adapter for the Ford test connection.

With the gauge hooked up to the test connection on the fuel rail, if you turn the key to the Run position, you should hear the pumps run for 2 or 3 seconds and then shut off because the ECM knows the engine isn't running.

During those few seconds, the pressure should come up to 39 psi plus or minus a few pounds, so about 36 to 42 psi. You might have to cycle the key a couple times to get a good representative number.

That 39 ish number will change if the engine is running. At idle speed it will be about 31 plus or minus 3 psi if you get the engine started  When driving it around it'll vary between 31 and 39 depending on engine vacuum.

I'd check your tether switch to be sure it's in place correctly and check fuel pressure as a starting point.

If you don't hear the pumps at all when the key is turned to Run, then it's time to check the 2 relays near the ECM and the 12.5 amp breaker on the back of the engine that supplies the 2 relays. You need 2 good relays for the engine to run, so you cant just swap the relays with each other. Replacing both relays at the same time is the best way to do it."

windsurfnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 2:43pm
Thanks, I'll do that.  Was hoping I could "fake it to make it" with just a vacuum gauge, but these kits are pretty inexpensive on amazon. 
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 1:38pm
A leaking injector could do what you describe.  Pulling all 8 spark plugs and reading them may point you in the right direction.   One leaking injector will only affect the one spark plug.  Odds are it will be much darker than your other spark plugs due to incomplete combustion.

Another test is to hook up a Fuel pressure gauge.   Turn the key on to pressurize your system, watch the gauge, maybe turn the key off and then back to on a couple times to make sure the system is at full pressure.  Turn the key off and watch the pressure.   It should hold constant for quite a while, even after 30 minutes pressure should be close to the same.   If you watch pressure drop you know you have a pressure leak.   It will either be a leaking injector or a pressure regulator leak usually.  This is the standard for Automotive testing, pretty sure it will work the same for the marine GT40.
windsurfnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windsurfnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2024 at 11:04am
Hi I have a 2002 Ski Nautique with GT40.

Its an excellent running boat with 1 potential problem creeping up.

I find that there can be a fairly strong fuel smell when skiing behind the boat.  It seems to be more present early in the season here in Canada when the water is cold, its the strongest smelling.  
The boat does suffer from intermittent rolling/surging idle during start up, which is easily cleared with just a small amount of throttle.

While I have not done it in a while, I did clean the IAC a few years ago and it didn't help the surging idle.  Now it only does the surge maybe 1 in 10 times on a start, but will do it.  

Wondering if I have a bad regulator?  Possibly leaky injectors..   Can I test the fuel regulator with just a vacuum gauge?  

Boat otherwise runs fantastic, just wondering if I'm wasting fuel or have bigger problem creeping up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic