Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tach maybe prop question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tach maybe prop question
    Posted: April-08-2024 at 2:42pm
When running the boat max rpm reached was showing 2300 ish rpm @26mph
I’m not sure if the tach is reading properly or if it’s just overpropped

Prop is a 14x11
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2024 at 3:17pm
Time to put a timing light (with tach function) on it to find out… but something more is wrong if those are WOT numbers.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2024 at 5:34pm
More info would also help.  What boat, what engine, what transmission?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2024 at 7:40pm
More info you say.............click link 

link

81 23 foot Sea Nautique, 351W, broken Borg Warner 10-17  Wink
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2024 at 1:06am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Time to put a timing light (with tach function) on it to find out… but something more is wrong if those are WOT numbers.

I do not have a timing light
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2024 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Live2fish Live2fish wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I do not have a timing light,  but if I have a boat with an engine of this vintage, I guess I really should have one if I want this thing to run as good as it should

Here, I fixed your statement for you Wink

An Innova 3568 is an example of a timing light with a tach function. A 5568 has a couple more features.

Or at a Harbor Freight near you, they sell a Zurich branded knock off of the Innova 5568 for a little less.

You'll be able to check/set your timing and check engine speed too.

You can find cheaper stuff, a lot of those won't have the tach function though so shop carefully.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2024 at 9:03am
If you don't want t buy one (yet), try the auto parts stores.  You can borrow tools there...not sure theirs will have a tach.  
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2024 at 7:22pm
In the meantime, here are a few questions while you consider purchasing a timing light or getting a loaner from an auto parts store. Although, you are definitely going to need a timing light with a vintage boat. Trust me on this one. I would strongly recommend following their advice. 

So here are a few questions while you wait for the accountant to get back to you regarding the timing light route. Big smile I only ask because of what I have learned on this site. How did it sound at WOT? Did it sputter, backfire, sound or act any different at WOT? Did it reach maximum RPMs before the throttle was at WOT or did it take WOT to get to the the 2300-2600 RPMs? Have you checked if the throttle at WOT is actually fully activating the carburetor throttle lever on the carburetor to wide open? Have the fuel filters/screens been cleaned and/or replaced? If not, I would make sure your fuel system, including clean fuel, is addressed. 

These are just a few questions that come to mind while waiting on the timing light decision, but again, I would stick to the problem solving path that has already been provided.
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2024 at 10:17pm
Engine sounded good no hesitation studder or sputters

Carb was just rebuilt I am in the middle of pulling the trans at the moment to rebuild.

(Is a 10-17-001 worth rebuilding or should I search for a 10-17-004)

Was cruising around 3/4 throttle at 2000rpm, laid it down as far as it would go and that’s where we reached that 25-2600 rpm. Engine revs 3k + in “warm up” without Trans engaged we will see after trans replaced if it was a trans issue holding it back. Also discovered the port exhaust hose is partially collapsed so more replacement parts 🤦‍♂️
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2024 at 6:28am
At the RPMs you are getting i would doubt its a prop size issue. it may need a different prop but i wouldn't go messing with that till you straighten out your power issue at the engine.
double check timing. make sure you are getting full advance out of the dizzy. and double check all your cable linkages and their range of motion. make sure those throttle plates are opening all the way. before doing anything else. sometimes its simple things like that which get overlooked.

What engine, what carburetor and what distributor does it have? are you working with all factory stuff?
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic