NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Generation Ski Nautique Spray Rails

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Generation Ski Nautique Spray Rails
    Posted: December-21-2023 at 5:50pm
Hello, 

I have been working on a 1968 Ski Nautique that has not been in the water since 2002.  The project is coming along nicely at the BBC in Moorsville, NC.. This first-generation Ski Nautique has wooded spray rails attached to the hull.  The spray rails currently are in a natural unfinished state.  Reid P and I feel the spray rails need to be the same color as the hull. In the case the hull is light blue like a Carolina Blue.  My question to any first-generation Ski Nautique owners is as follows: 

Do the spray rails get paint, or do they get gel coated? 

Currently, they are attached to the hull and the hull gel is in amazingly great condition. I have recently seen a 67 restoration where the guy left then natural wood color and i do not think that is the direction I want to go.  I am hoping Art C. or Scott Z will see this question and chime in. Scott's dad has a beautiful first Generation I have seen at the White Lake event many years ago.  Art C. is the caretaker of the 1963 Correct Craft Ski Nautique. 

Reid is thinking they get gel coated but he is not sure. 

Thanks for your assistance. 

Donald AKA Cousin Donald 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 8:07am
I was able to contact Scott Z. in Alabama and his father's first generation has paint, not gel on his spray rails. 

2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 9:18am
Kinda matches what I found
Mine were very worn the wood grain showing through. Sure did not seem gelcoated. I replaced with a taco marine spray rail. Approx 1” x 1-1/2”
PVC extruded rod
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 1:42pm
Daryn, 

Thanks for the help. 

Merry Christmas, 

Donald 
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 1:54pm
Merry Christmas to you too !!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2023 at 2:35pm
Paint them. Easy to source color matched. And easy to apply. That gel is good and I wouldn’t want to color match it if I didn’t have to. Let’s see some progress pics.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2023 at 10:07am
I was able to speak with Pete B.  He was big help.  Here are his comments. 

On the rails, no matter what you do, the CPES is key to what ever top coat is used. Make sure it's coated with the CPES after all the mounting holes are drilled so the holes are sealed too. I'd be top coating with a paint and not gel. Something bothers me about the gel regarding movement of wood. Paint can handle it but I'd be concerned about gel. A good polyurethane enhanced paint like Pettit Easypoxy would work well without going real fancy with a two component. Bedded to the hull with 4200 and then a couple more coats of paint and they will last for many years. Personally, I'd be varnishing the rails rather that paint!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2023 at 10:12am
David, 

Thanks for the input. I will have to ask The Cypress Gardens Museum for permission to post pictures.  It is a difficult process to get approvals. Big smile

Merry Christmas

Donald AKA Cousin Donald 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic