Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knee Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knee Replacement
    Posted: October-10-2023 at 11:34am

I have been away from this site for a few months due to a total knee replacement let alone anything that has to do with a computer. It’s been a rough road in this recovery phase in the expectations I set for myself of the slow progress this has been. I’m usually a quick rebound but by all means this is not the case here.

I have dealt with stitches, broken bones, a rupture Achilles tendon. Even cut my left thumb off and had it reattached from a table saw injury. But this takes the cake. Never experience something this painful as this.

This injury dates back to 1982 from playing Ultimate Frisbee in a tournament.  Gone to many doctors and all but one jump to knee replacement.  Took that one doctor’s advice and it got me to where I was 8 years ago. And then I waited for technology to catch up on this invasive surgery this is.  

So I guess I’m putting this question out there to all who has had a total knee replacement on their recovery and have they gone back to water skiing again? Have gone back to slalom skiing? Not asking about barefooting but I’m sure there are some out there that have gone back to doing it again.

I’m confident that I’ll be back on my old slalom ski next summer.

Just asking for some feedback on others out there on how they went through of what I’m starting to go through. It’s only been 7 weeks from surgery for me but another 8-10 months? The good news is I have 6 months of cold weather ahead.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2023 at 1:56pm
Wow, tough road recently, I have one friend now 73, had a knee replaced last March, I water Skied with him in August, he deep water started on a Comp Water ski and went out and skied hard.  One hand turns and throwing a good sized rooster.  I have seen many 20 year olds that can't ski like he did at 73.  He started hiking as soon as he could after surgery and has stuck with that.   He hikes as much as 9 miles a day now.   He says his muscles do not get sore or hurt but the knee gets hot on the long hikes, he thinks it is from friction.

After skiing with me he said his knee hurt and I asked if it was OK for him to ski, he said the new knee is not hurting it is his OLD knee hurting.   He said one of his Doctors says he should never ski again, his other Doctor says go for it if you like.  That is Mike, he is looking forward to getting the second knee done.

Another friend works Ski Patrol with me, Snow Ski Patrol, we offer medical help on the mountain.   He had a knee replaced due to constant pain, a year later he came back working Ski Patrol, hauling the toboggans can put major loading on your knees.  He was able to do it again on the knee replacement but retired after the season.   He competes in bike races, 30-50 mile races and rides almost every day.  Loves his new knee.  This is Graham, he is 66 now and 5 years past the new knee.

It can be done but keeping all the muscles in shape is pretty important.
I would not even consider High Wrap Boots, in a fall I want that ski to come off easy rather than risk a knee.

I have also read reports that state the measurements a surgeon uses to cut the bone replacing the knee are critical to a good result.  They say even a small fraction of an inch too short or long will cause months of pain as the muscles and tendons adjust to the new length.  They say if the cuts are accurate and everything is located as it was before surgery the healing process is night a day better.

Not sure if this helps but hope you get to ski again.
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2023 at 2:41pm
I went slalom skiing late last year for the first time in something like two years.  Started on one, swung out, laid into an easy cut, came across the wake to the other side and chucked the rope.  Kids came back, picked me up and asked what's wrong.  Told them I figured if I hit the wake on a hard cut I would take out one of my knees.

Since then my right knee has gotten bad and i'm scheduled for a partial knee replacement on October 25th. Hopefully, I can be back slalom skiing next summer!  Not looking forward to the six week recovery, everyone I've talked to says it's pretty painful.

As an aside, table saw took a small piece of my thumb when I was in my 20s. Hungry machines...
Builder
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2023 at 6:24pm
I seen 66 year old Sandy Cates run 32 off with a complete knee replacment. USA hall of fame Brenda Nichols has a total knee regularly runs into 35 off at 32 mph. lots of total knees out there skiing it up... extra time in the Gym is all
Lot's of hip replacement too my self in included.. skied a tournament last week , trick only. age 66..
Go get-em tiger!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2023 at 10:19pm
Thanks for sharing, good to know there is life left as we age.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2023 at 10:20am

The invincible spirit still resides within me as I age. Water skiing and just boating will always be a part of my life thanks to my Dad. This knee replacement recovery is a long process. Stretching and working your knee out at home is important and stay with the physical therapy as long as you can. You will benefit from it in the long run. Thank you all for your responses. It’s good to know many have continued to ski after a knee replacement.  

AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 2:09pm
       Thought I would add my two cents for what it is worth. Between the ages of 70 and 75 I had both knees and both hips replaced. I

always had the surgeries in November and always skied and barefooted the following summer. Took a good three months on the knees

be pain free...hips much easier. As stated by others it is very important to work on the strength and flexibility as soon as your surgeon

allows. Avoid impact exercise with knees..my doctor even dislikes walking; bikes, elliptical, stair climber are all good. The important

thing is to get started! I am currently 80 and still slalom ski although I did give up the barefooting this past summer. Neither the hips or

knees were the reason, but more a balance problem with my stepoffs. [Never a good deepwater guy] Good luck with your rehab and

don't get discouraged...you'll be back out there and loving the "new parts"!

Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2023 at 9:02pm
Nice work AirTique, glad to hear we can keep playing.  I still love to get out and ski.

Another buddy just had his knee replaced, when they tapped the new joint into his femur they Broke the femur.  Now he is trying to heal from a knee surgery they want him moving the knee all the time so he does not lose flexibility and his femur is fractured.  He says it hurts like holy hell.  Lots of Ice and drugs.  I am afraid his knee muscles will not respond well since he can't work it till the bone heals.  It is terrible, this guy is one heck of an athlete, 6'3" 250 lbs and very strong at 69 years old.   I guess they do not all go well.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2023 at 8:42am

Thank you again for the encouragement and your accomplishments after a knee replacement.  Now I am really looking forward to next summer. I was surprised how much strength I lost in the first 5 weeks after surgery to my legs but it all came back with the help of physical therapy.  My PT will stop to the end of November due to how well I’m progressing with my strength and flexibility. Working out on my own will start after that. Where I work, we have a cardio workout room and a weight room. So, I’ll be there at 5am before I start work

SkipGundlach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipGundlach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2024 at 7:42pm
I'm on my second knee.
First 10-6-23, second 1-26-24.

Anyone getting a TKA (full knee replacement sawbones abbreviation) should also buy a TENS (TransEpiduralNeuroStimulation) unit; it blocks nerve pain impulses, allowing you rest, reduced pain, and quicker use of your muscles.

I just completed the PT for the left knee and the difference (there was a nurse who was misinformed and who I believed, therefore not using the unit I already owned from my rTSA (reverse total shoulder), which caused an unconscionable delay in recovery and thus PT advancement) was remarkable, both to medical pros and to my comfort.

My PTs this time around could not believe the difference.  Unaided (meaning nothing touched my leg or foot), I'm over 135 degrees flexion and 0 degrees extension - comfortably.

But that's just getting through it.  I fully expect to be skiing again, ideally this summer, so now that PT is over, I'm hitting the gym this week.  Tens unit all day, pain meds only for sleeping at night, before I go to bed.

Get a TENS, do the PT, and get back out there!

L8R
Skip
SkipGundlach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkipGundlach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2024 at 7:52pm
Some Pix:
Open photo
Open photo
Open photo

Legs are still stupid-level swollen which is why the compression socks

pads are reusable until you're sick of them; running under water and lightly rubbing them with fingers somehow rejuvenates adhesive.
I used the moderated (changes frequencies and the like) to keep the nerves from becoming used to it.

black lead has most juice (somehow; didn't bother to get smart), so put it furthest away.  X pattern, black on bottom one side, red on top on other side:
Open photo
That gets the current through the entire knee.  You can place the electrodes closer together (more tingle cuz more juice between them) or further apart (may allow higher setting and cover more area and musculature

as to sensitivity, if one partly peels off, the sensitivity (smaller surface area) increases; you might get a tingle/jolt beyond the level you set.

I'm fully mobile like this and  comfortable sleeping (TENS off at night); has been that way for about a week...
I'm very annoyed at the puffy feet/legs
even the right leg (to a much lesser degree, of course) after 4 months

(I only wear the TENS during the day, in case it wasn't clear from my comfort sleeping comment)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic