Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lost forward and reverse and trans fluid all over
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost forward and reverse and trans fluid all over

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost forward and reverse and trans fluid all over
    Posted: July-28-2023 at 9:11pm
Frustrating night.

Took the 81 out for the first cruise of the year tonight.   About 2 miles into the cruise cruising at 25mph I completely lost forward.   I costed to a stop and tried reverse and that is gone also.   No loud crash or bang, just loss of propulsion.

As I waited for a tow the bildge started to fill with transmission fliud.

Hoses are entact and not leaking.

The frustrating part is that this is a rebuilt transmission that was installed in 2021 that has about 4 hrs on it.   The rebuilder gave a six month warrenty. The boat didn't see water in 2022.

Any suggestions to the cause or fix would be appreciated.   I will call the rebuilder on Monday.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2023 at 5:47am
It sounds like you probably blew the front (pump) seal on the transmission. The fluid would leak from the bottom of the bellhousing.

If it was the rear seal you'd see it leaking just forward of the shaft coupling 

Over the years people have had numerous front seal issues.

Sometimes a small leak, sometimes the seal pops out and you get a BIG leak and lose forward and reverse like you described 

Sometimes  the pump is worn out and has too much internal clearance, putting too much pressure on the seal which normally sees very little pressure,(discharge pressure is leaking back to the suction due to the excessive clearances) and sometimes the seal just decided to fall out because it wasn't in place good.

You can find posts about just putting in a new seal working for some people and others have had to replace the pump itself.

Not knowing anything about your rebuild, like whether it was a new pump or the old pump with a new seal installed your Monday phone call sounds like a good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic