NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

any snowmobile riders

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any snowmobile riders
    Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:40pm
Hey, I see some guys here like to ride sleds in the winter. Was wondering where everyone that rides, likes to ride.

Cause when we go we travel 10 hours to ride in the UP of Michigan. Thought about giving some place else a try.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2006 at 10:58pm
hard to beat the UP for snow... we go to northern Wi when they have snow...other than last winter,been kinda light in the past few years there tho..

Went to Black Hills about 7 years ago...awesome riding ..looked like mountains to us "flatlanders"! Went in early March.. rode in t-shirts one Sun. afternoon .. 50 plus degrees!

Where you from?/ whatcha ride?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:00am
The County,Northern Maine.Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec.Probably too far for you guys to travel.I would HIGHLY recommend doing the Gaspe trip at least once if you can ever get there.The scenery is unreal.
   Also have ridden in Wyoming.
current sleds:
04 Firecat 500
04 Ski-doo Legend 700
99 Yamaha SRX700
98 Ski doo MXz440 fan/M-10

Mike   
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:28am
Had em, Ski Doo's, none at the moment. Used to ride em right out the back door of the garage but the trails around home are slowly disappearing w/development. Just a Quad at the moment.
I get up north to Brownies at least once every winter, Glen Arbor, MI, he always has at least 4 sleds so all I need to bring is me.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:44am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I get up north to Brownies at least once every winter, Glen Arbor, MI, he always has at least 4 sleds so all I need to bring is me.

quinners got it figured out... all the fun , but no maintanence!

btw... we've got a couple of Yamahas in the barn.. a '98 700 SRX and the 'ol man sled.. an '02 700 Viper ER.. man I like electric start and reverse
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 8:48am
gave it up, wacked an useen concrete culvert and my knees and jewels went forward then a dead stop. last sled though was a polaris 650 XLT
"the things you own will start to own you"
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2006 at 1:28pm
The UP is the best place I have been too. You can always find snow up there. I have a friend w/a place in Adams County in WI. It seems they rarely have good snow anymore. I've even tried the trails around Green Lake when the snow was half-way decent, but the corn fields can never hold the snow. Makes a rough day on Green Lake seem like butter.

me - 02 Polaris 600 XCSP
wifey - 99 Polaris 550 SuperSport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 12:55pm
Down or up here in Ohio we USE to pull the sleds out at any sight of snow and we would hit the local ball chasing estblishment, well anyway we spent about 2 hours over there doing what was meant to be done on nice hilly terrain, needless to say a big article popped up in the local paper a week later when the snow thawed and the article read atvs vandalized golf course approximatly $50,000.00 in damage. I was young and dumb and in no way would ever do that now and i still kinda feel bad
"the things you own will start to own you"
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 3:38pm
I own a snowmobile guiding servive in Sisters, Oregon. The Cascade Range in Oregon offers deep snow and big mountain bowls to ride. I like to ride a Ski Doo Summit 600 or 800 with a 151 track and 2" paddles if I'm riding for recreation. I ride a smooth Polaris touring sled when I'm guiding on the trails. Mostly these days I ride sleds for the purpose of getting to the steep backcountry terrain for skiing though.

We ski and sled in the winter, raft in the spring , and ski/board behind out Correct Craft all summer. Fall is a lot of work getting ready for winter.

Come on out and sled with us in OR it's a blast!
Work to live, not live to work.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2006 at 11:51pm
Sounds like youve got life covered out there! How do you have time to squeeze work in? ;) OR is a LONG way tho..
I can remember leaving NW IL to go to the Black Hills...over 15hrs straight thru driving...left at 8pm..got there around noon the next day....unloaded the sleds and rode for 6 hrs....thought to myself, man I got to get another hobby..still ride tho
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 12:58pm
We try to make our play our work. It's not always possible, on years with good snow the snowmobile guide service makes pretty good money but on lean years I get stuck doing a lot of construction work. Summers are always hard work as I build trails and other facilities as a contractor for the Forest Service and private industry. The advantage of being self employed is that I can make my own schedule and make time to play. I could make a lot more money living elswhere but I'm working to live not living to work.
Work to live, not live to work.

Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2006 at 9:34pm
87BFN - I've been riding in Michigan for over 20 years. I used to ride in the northern lower and when it got too busy, I started riding in the UP. A few years ago someone suggested driving an extra hour to Canada, so we gave it a try. If you like riding in the UP, you'll love riding in Canada. It’s a little more expensive (gas and permit) but what I always tell people is the worst trails in Canada are better than the best trails in Michigan. Don’t get me wrong – I love Michigan, but the trails in Canada are the best. We still ride in the northern lower when we can get some mid-week riding in and in the UP on the weekends, but usually once a year when we want really good trails, we head to Canada.

Myself – I ride a 95 Polaris XLT. Close to 10,000 mile and going strong.
Andy

'83 2001
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 8:03am
    Furno is right,Canada's trail riding is the best.Unfortunately,by Jan 1 2008,you'll have to be carrying a valid U.S.pa$$port to cross the border on a snowmobile.            

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Had em, Ski Doo's, none at the moment. Used to ride em right out the back door of the garage but the trails around home are slowly disappearing w/development. Just a Quad at the moment.

Cool, I'm going then with ya this winter Quinner !!!! Just tell Brownie not to sing, OK hahahaha

Moj
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 6:50pm
I"m thinking about going too, just gotta remember to up the life insurance policy before i leave.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2006 at 4:43pm
sorry guys been busy working, putting in a wood floor, and starting a new business so comp time has been very limited.

I ride a 2001 Mach Z 800 triple, wife rides a 2005 GSX 600 HO SDI. Both Ski-Doos almost 4000miles on the Z and 1800 miles on the 600, and we just got it this past December.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic