Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
opers13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opers13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 rebuild
    Posted: July-10-2023 at 2:43pm
Hi All,
I'm looking into the possibility of rebuilding my 302 engine (1980 Ski Tique).  Its burning oil and I noticed water mixed with oil after the last oil change.  Wondering if anyone has rebuilt their 302?  I love my boat and hoping to keep it a bit longer.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Maine - 1980 Ski Tique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2023 at 5:05pm
All parts are easy to come by except for the Reverse rotation Camshaft and Rear Main seal.   Water in the oil is bad.   Could be rusted out head gasket or just a bad exhaust manifold but could be something worse.   Cracked Head or Cracked Block.   Was it exposed to a freeze?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2023 at 7:55am
What mark sez. 
albeit if its truly an '80, RMS should still be two piece, thus not direction specific, and easy to source
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 7:24am
So the moral of the story is.............if you happen to end up needing a new block, you need an older block for a 2 piece rear main seal to work with your original Reverse Rotation crankshaft.

Or if you get a new block/engine (83 or later) that has a one piece rear main seal, a Reverse Rotation 302 1 piece rear main seal is next to impossible to find

You'll have some digging to do to find the issue first though.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 8:25am
Ken, Mark,

follow me down the thought experiment rabbit hole if you wish.

what if the RR 302 one piece rms truly became unobtanium for everyone with the later RR 302...

could one use a STD rotation 1 piece after they added RR wick lines to a unmarked crankshaft, and keep the oil where it belongs?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 9:34am
The issue is that the wick lines for the 1-piece is on the seal… it’s not like bidirectional seals that are wick-less. I suspect you’d see some leakage with competing crank/seal wick lines (and the seal may win). Just a guess.

If you could find a smooth seal then that seems like it would work.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 9:39am
 i see, the seal lines likely win. 
 outy vs inny

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2023 at 11:26am
The thread in the link below has a fair amount of seal discussion buried in it.Wink

Talked to Chucky a while back and the one piece seal that he had the best luck with for his RR 302  was the one that some stubby fingered backyard hack spent a little while sanding the helix/wick lines off of to make it a smooth seal.

It had minor leakage. 600 grit sandpaper was used........more time and finer grit paper would maybe give better results

The teflon seal leaked pretty bad when used with the wrong rotation crankshaft.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic