Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling system

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling system
    Posted: July-03-2023 at 2:07pm
I am refurbishing 1980 SN out of the boneyard…. Does anyone have a diagram or details on cooling systems from water pickup thru exhaust…. Am running cool with boat on trailer with hose feed.. immediately get hot when put in water. NEW water pump and impeller pump, new heads, cleaned all water passages, etc… think I have the plumbing connections wrong.   PLEASE HELP.. thank you   Fredaws
Freddie
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2023 at 7:06pm
Was the engine intact when you began this project (missing any parts) ?
Can you post pictures of how the engine is plumbed from start to finish ?
Can you post the actual temls you are seeing, both on the hose and in the water ?
What degree thermostat did you install ?
Is your in water temp at idle or underway ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2023 at 7:40pm
From the intake into the transmission cooler.
from the transmission cooler to the sea pump.
From the sea pump to the gooseneck (thermostat housing)
Above but part of the thermostat housing is a 'T' fitting.

From the T fitting to each exhaust manifold.
The T fitting is a bypass that sends water to the exhaust manifolds as they need a constant flow of water.

The water should flow thru the exhaust manifolds internally and into the exhaust risers and out of the exhaust tips.

Where are you attaching your garden hose, inline after the pickup or thru the intake via something that looks like a toilet plunger ?
Is your intake ball valve/sea cock open, it happens !

I'll try a couple more times to post pictures rather than typing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2023 at 7:46pm

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2023 at 8:03pm
Here's a non artist's diagram of the flow path to your engine. (assuming it's a Pleasurecraft 351 engine)

It shows all the hoses on the inlet side of things. It doesn't try to show the flow from the circulating pump through the engine and back to the thermostat

One of the other things it shows is the raw water pump with a little note next to it saying that the little screw head on the housing needs to be facing out (away from the engine) on your Reverse Rotation 1980 engine That's how it was from the factory.

If it's facing in, it's on upside down and won't suck any water because the suction hose is hooked to the discharge port on the pump, but depending on your garden hose hookup you may be forcing water through it on the trailer and getting some cooling...............then you put it in the water and it'll pump nothing at all and overheat. Just something to check Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2023 at 1:34pm

[URL=https://imgbb.com/" rel="nofollow][/URL

Heres that screw on the sea pump keno is talking about.
Keno calls it everytime
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2023 at 2:00pm
Does trans cooler have a specific flow direction??? Cannot see any flow arrows….Keno n wayoutthere….thank you
Freddie
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2023 at 2:08pm
Goes from Water pickup to bottom of impeller pump, out top of impeller pump to top of trans cooler, out of cooler to bottom of T junction on thermostat, out T to exhaust… therm at 140… reverse rotation. Thank u
Freddie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2023 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by fredaws fredaws wrote:

Does trans cooler have a specific flow direction??? Cannot see any flow arrows….Keno n wayoutthere….thank you

The weird thing about trans coolers and maybe any coolers for that matter is that the oil flow should be opposite of the water flow. I have heard of velvet drives over heating when hooked up backwards.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2023 at 11:24pm
Wayouthere n Keno…. I bought a new engine circulating water pump…. Is there a different water pump for reverse rotation 351 Windsor??????   Thanku again for ALL the previous help????
Freddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 7:40am
If you bought a "marine" 351 circulating pump, the ones you get these days work equally well in either direction of rotation.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 10:38am
Flip the raw water pump, cam screw goes toward the block.
Tim D
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 10:48am
Tim…. A bit confused…. Outer bleed screw on impeller pump faces towards the block or away from block on reverse rotation 1980 SN 351 Windsor???? This is not was previous post have suggested.   Thank you
Freddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 11:46am
I'm just posting pictures, detailed info is gonna come from keno and other members.
My questions are just basic troubleshooting.

One thing i would try, with 2 lenghts of hose and a bucket of water is see which way your sea pump pumps.
No hose pressure, just a hose off the top and bottom of the pump and into a bucket of water.
Start the engine, inlet and outlet should be immediately clear.
Plumb it in accordingly.

Pictures of the engine plumbing and the pump are needed here for sure, if anything is amiss the members onboard who know these engines back n forth in their sleep will get this sorted out.
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 12:33pm
Got it…. Upon ignition, the distributor rotor turns counter clockwise while circulating water pump turns clockwise. I believe this shows reverse rotation…. Screw on impeller pump is facing away from block… I am changing plumbing lines to match previous diagram. And will try “bucket” tests.   Thank you again … gonna get there..,.😎
Freddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 12:52pm

Got it…. Upon ignition, the distributor rotor turns counter clockwise while circulating water pump turns clockwise. I believe this shows reverse rotation…. Screw on impeller pump is facing away from block… I am changing plumbing lines to match previous diagram. And will try “bucket” tests.   Thank you again … gonna get there..,.😎

Sounds to me like you don't know what you have for rotation

No matter which way the engine rotates the distributor always goes counterclockwise on a 351 for reasons we don't need to get into here..

If your circulating water pump and your alternator and your raw water pump pulleys all turn clockwise if you're standing in front of the engine looking back at it, then it's a NORMAL Rotation engine.

If you're in back of the engine looking forward and everything is rotating clockwise then you have a REVERSE rotation engine.

I'd get that straight before figuring out which way the pump should be oriented Wink

Is this a PCM engine that looks like wayoutthere's pictures?

Here's a link to lotsa reading about engine rotation

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2023 at 1:23pm
 And here's a picture to help out

I seem to remember TimD posting it lots of years ago Wink
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2023 at 1:25pm
Keno, Tim D and wayouthere, with all this info it is determined I have a standard left hand rotation, my motor does look like the gold motor in pics but if that is a reverse rotation motor along with your flow charts “drawing” it looks like my raw water pump screw should be facing inward, on standard rotation and not outward for reverse rotation like I had it installed. The new impeller installed has been completely destroyed…. Does that have to do with pump installed backwards??? The motor had never been started without water being primed throughout cooling system prior to starting.   Thank u again for all your help…. No impeller sure explains ‘ overheating’ while in water and on trailer….so raw water pump screw in or out????? Have a great day
Freddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2023 at 1:43pm
Standard automotive LH rotation like you have.............the screw faces in toward the engine Wink

fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2023 at 6:07pm
Thank you ALL for your help… picking up new impeller and installing with cam screw facing block… will clean out all rubber debris from cooling lines… trans cooler will need to be cleaned out, it is located between the raw water pump and circulating water pump… will do the recommended tests from there.
Freddie
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2023 at 7:59pm
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
fredaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2023 at 8:24pm
👍👍👍
Freddie
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2023 at 6:20am

👍👍👍

So this must mean it runs at the right temperature while you're driving it around in the water ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic