Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat
    Posted: June-27-2023 at 2:59pm
I have a '97 Sport Nautique with the Chevy 350 PCM engine.  I need to replace the thermostat but I think what is in there is not correct.  My questions are.  What gasket is needed internally, o-ring, cork, etc?  Does this gasket go in first and then the thermostat and then the plastic collar/spacer.  What gasket do I need for the manifold attachment to the block? Which side of the thermostat should I see after I assemble it into the manifold?  Thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 4:09pm

I know you said your engine is a 350 Chevy. That thermostat housing is the same as my 454 Chevy is but the thermostat itself is way different then your setup is. Are you having problems with the engine not warming up to correct temperature?

The gasket is the standard Felpro thermostat gasket for a small block Chevy. there should be a lip around the housing for the thermostat to fit into and then the gasket goes on. 

The thermostat I used on my engine is much larger and it fits up inside the thermostat housing. And I hate to say it but the thermostat from SkiDim is $111.50, Item #: RP026003.

When the engine reaches operating temperature, the thermostat opens up into the housing to let the warm water out into the exhaust risers. I believe that’s how it works.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 4:16pm

The thermostat silver metal goes up into the thermostat housing and the dark area where the spring is goes into the intake manifold,

Paul
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 4:37pm
If you click on the link below and go to page C4-1 and C4-2 you'll find your thermostat housing for 97 and later PCM engines

link

It takes an automotive style thermostat like yours.

It also shows the earlier one that took the big, tall, expensive one.

The exploded view shows how it goes together

Pointy side towards the sky Wink 

It's not like Paul's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 4:54pm
Oh Wow,  That's perfect.  THANKS!
I see this thermostat shows as a 160 degree when I look it up online (not 143).  Does this matter or is 143 required?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 6:50pm
Is the manifold sealing surface to the thermostat broken or is this section supposed to be missing?
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 7:08pm
If so, is this an appropriate replacement: Mercruiser 860256A4
https://marineenginedepot.com/thermostat-housing-43l-57l-raw-water-cooling-system
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2023 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

Is the manifold sealing surface to the thermostat broken or is this section supposed to be missing?

That's how it's built

It's one of the flow paths through the housing.

The retaining adapter (part #6 in the manual) goes in with it's opening lined up with that opening.

The adapter only fits one way, there's a ridge that lines up with the groove at about the 1 o'clock position in your picture.

As far as the thermostat, it won't hurt to try the 160, you may like it . If it runs a little warmer than you're comfortable with, get a 143.

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 7:12am

Sorry for the miss information. Thanks Keno!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 9:20am
This is what it looks like with the adapter in

'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 9:25am
With the thermostat is I can see past the edge of it to the bottom of the manifold.

'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 9:26am
SKIDIM has this.  https://skidim.com/housing-t-stat-indmar-gm.html
'97 21' Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 11:57am
I still say that's the way it should be. A little bypass flow while the engine is warming up

Since you're thinking about a new thermostat housing, I'd at least try using what you have now.

You might like it Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2023 at 8:15pm
ok thanks
'97 21' Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic